Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW, LOTR OR AOC?

mkafnamkafna Member Posts: 14

Im deciding between these three MMORPGs and I was wondering if anyne could lead me in the right direction, I have a Lvl 56 Dwarf Warrior in WOW and I was deciding whether or not to continue with this character into the expansions because im getting a little bit bored or do one of the other 2 offer a more challenging and rewarding experience Pls Help.

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

If that's your first character in wow, i would say keep going because the real game doesn't start until lvl 80  and i rather wait till your at the end game to really make your decision. But if you really cant stand wow i would say LOTRO is a perfect game to go to and if you want to mix it up a little bit and try something a little different then give AOC a shot.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

If that's your first character in wow, i would say keep going because the real game doesn't start until lvl 80  and i rather wait till your at the end game to really make your decision.

So your advice is to grind levels for hours so the player can see if one part of the game is more fun (raids)? So what if the player dosent like the game and its level grindand then must discover that the part of the game that you like isnt fun at all... Have his stuff?

The real game start at level 1 and if you cant enjoy the journey then the game wont be something for you.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

WoW is fun, but if you have a nice computer and people to play with, AoC is much better.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Well, I never tried WoW, really...got the 14 day trial, but quit after one day...so you could say I never tried it...

I really love LotRO, if you are a fan of the lore, and are into story driven PvE, then LotRO is the game for you...great community, great PvE, good story, nicely polished, great RP community (if you're into that)...

Now, I also love AoC...but for completely different reasons...If you like good graphics and music, are into trying different combat styles, and like PvP (but dont mind gankers), then AoC may be it...

I mean, I really like AoC and LotRO, but I can handle the gankers and community of AoC better than others I have spoken with, so I would probably suggest LotRO just because IMO, it's the best MMO on the market.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• UniveUnive Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by mkafna

Im deciding between these three MMORPGs and I was wondering if anyne could lead me in the right direction, I have a Lvl 56 Dwarf Warrior in WOW and I was deciding whether or not to continue with this character into the expansions because im getting a little bit bored or do one of the other 2 offer a more challenging and rewarding experience Pls Help.

I would say WoW, but do not go to WoW till they new expansion Cataclysm comes out, why you ask? The old world where you would be leveling up in is getting a huge face lift and it wont be as boring as it is now.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by astrob0y

Originally posted by Gabby-air

If that's your first character in wow, i would say keep going because the real game doesn't start until lvl 80  and i rather wait till your at the end game to really make your decision.

So your advice is to grind levels for hours so the player can see if one part of the game is more fun (raids)? So what if the player dosent like the game and its level grindand then must discover that the part of the game that you like isnt fun at all... Have his stuff?

The real game start at level 1 and if you cant enjoy the journey then the game wont be something for you.

No that's what you would like to believe, end game is a huge part of games today and you can't deny it.

• DeuiDeui Member Posts: 61

Imo, that might have been the case in vanilla or TBC, but now, WoW endgame is nothing amazing. It feels so watered down, there's no excitement or challenge. You can literally get full epic gear in two days. There's only two decent raids in WotLK, Ulduar and just released Icecrown Citadel. PvP is incredibly boring. I rather much rather leveled couple of characters through 1-60, than doing endgame. If you already feel like that, there's really no reason to continue. It's good game to play as your first MMORPG for half an year. I played for over 3 years and got burnt out so keep that in mind.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

lotro. great community, great pve, great lore, great graphics, great dev team, mediocre pvp but at least its there to feed the urge. Also, havent played in awhile but the new skirmish system is getting really good reviews.

WoW is FAR past its prime, nothing fun left to do in that game, its pretty mind numbing. In my opinion at least.

AoC seems to be getting better as the months go by, Id give it some more time though.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• lordzelmanlordzelman Member Posts: 124

id say AoC. lotro has low content for endgame imo

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

On WOW I'd wait until after Cataclysm when everything changes. AoC if you start now you'll probably be leveled up for when Godslayer comes out which will be interesting to see what it's like. LOTRO is a vast world and I think the most successful game release since WOW-nothing else comes close unless you're big on PvP ( I'm not) where even I think LOTRO is very weak. There's always one of the new ones-STO or Mortal Online.

• zappafrank71zappafrank71 Member Posts: 19

Hey Mkafna, if you get bored with WoW already, why dont you come to Darkfall, i bought it two days ago, and i am having a blast time. I played AoC for several months (casual) and it was a pretty frustrating experience, since the whole game is messed up and the community is not the best outthere, plus AoC is dying, and i think it deserves a slow death^^. If you find open PvP, a nice crafting system, and some really exiting combat alluring, try out Darkfall, it actually offered to me what i expected to get from AoC. LOTR is a nice game so, the community is not bad, but i found it not too thrilling. If you into graphics a free expansion with DX11 is anounced for DF already....

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa -

• davidalpha77davidalpha77 Member Posts: 11

LOTRO.

PVE, Lore, environment, graphics & sound, great improvements every patch and update, community...

I don´t know about AOC, but there is no chance for Wow against LOTRO. Except for the classical PvP, of course...

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

My best advice is play the game you bought fully to see if you like it as it progresses.  I haven't played WoW since vanilla, but the game has some street cred and is definetly worth every penny.  I'd love to be in your shoes and explore the world of Azeroth for the first time.

After that, which won't be long due to leveling ease, try which ever one interests you more.  Hard to advise you on something since its you, the player, who makes the game fun or not.

I guess the general assumption is if you like lore and pve, go with LOTRO.  If you like lore and pvp with unique classes, go with AOC.

• DeuiDeui Member Posts: 61

AoC isn't dying. It's doing ok. It's getting better all the time. Next expansion will renew a bunch of subs as well as attract more new players, if it's a success. It better be. It's not my type of game, but definitely suits some players.

• coffee2coffee2 Member Posts: 10

I say continue with WoW or quit now until cataclysm and start a new toon.

WoW is the best of the 3 with all things considered but WoW is top heavy (just like Lotro and AoC) until you get to level 69 and you can hit Northrend the game outside of the cities will feel quite empty.  Levels 59-69 in Outlands will also feel empty unless your a fan of Death knights.

The new Cross server LFG tool will make it easier to get 5man runs on all dungeons as you level which is an option.

Cataclsym brings every one back to Azeroth but its only of use to players 1-60 and 78+, you'll still have the 61-77 level range where you'll need to go to Outlands and Northrend and once Cataclsym comes out Northrend along with Outlands will be empty.

Want my advice stick with WoW, AoC is still a mish-mash and Lotro is for middle aged cardigan wearing bookworms. j/k

AKA "coffee" - serving a temporary ban cus I made a Troll cry.

• vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68

I have played all three: wow - 1 year, lotro - since launch, and aoc just recently to see what it was about during thier free first 20 lvl campaing they recently did to promote the game.

Of those games, I presently play no of them anymore. As the OP said, WOW just got boring even with many alts and end game stuff. However this same argument can be said for all games - same stuff different pile. Lotro has a great community, great graphics and sound excellent lore etc. I recently quite playing lotro for a couple reasons. 1. grouping and pugs for the storyline quests got incredibly difficult to find anyone to do with. It was possible to get groups, but after sometimes hours of looking for those needing to do the same stuff. This was also present in the Moria expansion. 2. Lotro also got gear dependent in its raiding system at the end of Moria. 3. And in lotro, as the expansions keep coming, I personally found that there were fewer and fewer low lvl alts on to lvl my own alts with. As with all games, as the game gets older and the ex.packs keeping pushing the community further into the storyline and increasing endgame stuff, there is going to be less peeps around in the early and mid range of a game. I found this true with lorto. With aoc, i did not play much at all except for a couple of lvls so really cannot give much feedback except to say it was very pretty.

On a similar note, I was looking for a new game to engross myself in, until FF comes out later this year (hopefully!) I was contemplating renewing wow or lotro. I could not bring myself to get into an old game like wow, even with CAT on the way, and I already mentioned my disintrest with lotro above. So I gave Aion a try. It is as pretty as lotro or aoc and the sound is great as well. Yes there is a grind, but every game has grind in one respect or another. There is great pvp in Aion. And in gathering and crafting proffessions you can actually fail. What a novel idea - not everyone can succeed. I love that concept that not eveyone is going to be epic and run around with the best gear - you actually have to work for what you want in Aion. Flying is also a neat concept in this game. And best of all, unlike the mentioned above games it is still a fairly new in north america (5 months since open launch and beta before that), so you can almost get in on the ground level. And Aion also has a healthy community. Bots and gold sellers are not as common as I was led to believe. I am also not saying that Aion is better or worse that wow or lotro. Just for me, I've played them and well moved on to something else for stated reasons. OP possibly give Aion a try if your into a hard, investing type of game. If not then of the three you mentioned, Lotro.

• HydhraHydhra Member Posts: 32

I would say drop WoW it isnt worth the time spent when you finally get your char geared up some new comes out and you can start over... fking brainless inovation if you ask me.

Start playing Lotro imho it might get a little borring at times but just remember to read quest story lines and talk to other players and its the greatest gaming experience you will come across;)

Havnt played AoC but ive just started playing Daoc again after a 5 years break and its good fun if you dont mind a little dated gfx but its still much better gfx than WoW so maybe give it a try;)

DAoC/GW/Lotro/WoW/WAR/Rift/SWTor

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Both AoC and LOTRO have free trials.  Try them out.

See you back in WoW next month.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Actually I did everything in EQ2 and need something to entertain me while waiting for the next expansion.

Some time ago, I returned to AOC for a while (during the free play time). My MMO guild still exists there and wanted me to return. But it didnt work, even if the game is good (I really like the combat mechanics)

Two weeks ago, I tried a wow trial. But the graphics and my memories on stupid gear grinds at the end (played during vanilla) hold me from continuing after 1 hour playtime.

One week ago I returned to Lotro. I have a lifetime abo, but only played a month after release. With my lifetime abo, I got the 2 expansions for free to discover, and I dont need to pay the sub, so this is my choice (for now) :P

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

LoTRO has been good for me. Doesn't make my computer over heat even on higher settings. Nice game too, which helps.

-  can smoke.

- can play music to your friends.

- can woo a partner into your own house or party in a guild house. (pray its someone you would like IRL)

- Above bits reduce the treadwheel pve grind.

LotRO's main weakness (from my view) is that the PVP element is limited. 

• mkafnamkafna Member Posts: 14

I have ordered the Imac 27 Inch i5 Quad Core and I was wondering if this comp would play AOC and LOTR to their best, I think I I should be safe with WOW. If they both play to their best which game is better graphically LOTR or AOC and which world pulls you in more for eg, The animations of all the NPCs, the animals roaming around, the gear you wear etc

Is it going to be a major face lift with CAT for Azeroth, is  the world going to be more releastic?

• MikailaMikaila Member UncommonPosts: 45

If you're already bored I'd personally quit with WoW.

If you're a pve player I'd say go with LotRo. 

Easier on the computer, lots more content than AoC. More immersive.

(AoC is prettier of course.)

If you're a pvp player or occasional pvp player it might be better to go with AoC. LotRo has no real pvp.

It has something called monster play. It's a type of pvp, but very limited.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

I think LotRO is the better of those 3 and strangely enough the one I've spent least time in... could that be why I think that way?

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552
    Originally posted by mkafna

cons:

If you're a burn to the end of a game guy then keep playing WoW.  If you like the instant satisfaction of "phat lewt" then keep playing WoW.  (lol ;"epic" loot dropping in regular instances)  If you don't mind being judged by a gearscore number, then play WoW.  If you don't mind running on a tread mill and every time new content is added they let you get the carrot only to replace it with a bigger better carrot you can't reach, then play WoW.

If you don't mind being bored to tears at endgame, play LotRO.  If you don't mind horribly implemented and unbalanced pvp, play LotRO.  If you don't mind grinding achievements tediously to unlock abilities, play LotRO.

Pros:

If you enjoy a massive amount of content spanning 2 expansions and one on the horizon, plus seasonal events, keep playing WoW.  If you like easy game play and dungeons, then keep playing WoW.  If you like a thriving economy and a large player base, then play WoW.

If you like a story line that truly makes you feel like you're in the lore, then play LotRO.  If you like a beautiful and immersive game and any kind of roleplaying, play LotRO.  If you take it easy and enjoy the ride from 1 to the level cap, DEFINATELY play LotRO.

To sum it up:

WoW, is what it is.  It's more of a social thing than a gaming world you can sink into but that's not really such a bad thing if that's what you want.  Plus you have no worries of it going any where soon.  If you take the time to farm stuff, it will sell, there's no shortage of supply/demand.  Chat is always active as well.  My only gripe with WoW is the whole gearscore thing and how easy it is to get geared now.  I'd have to say though, it's not a bad place to meet people and hang out.

LotRO, the most fun I've had  in a game leveling a toon, hands down.  The world is lush and the colors are vibrant, on max settings it's simply amazing.  Their endgame just wasn't for me and I felt it was a bit lacking.  I didn't care for the whole relic weapon thing either (you raise weapons' xp and get random stats)

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

It really depends on what you want in a game. If you're more of a pvp person, AoC is probably the way to go. If you're more of a pve person, LotRO is untouchable in that arena.

That being said, I think everyone should play to top level in WoW at least once. Despite what the naysayers here would have you believe, it really is a fantastic game, even after all this time.

My recommendation would be to continue playing WoW until you reach level 80, then switch to one of the other two. You'll appreciate their unique features that much more if you do. :)

<3