Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wish this game was P2P.

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

The play style and feel is great, the graphics of it and style is unique and the class system is something new in my eyes. I am hoping item shop don't break this nice MMO with exp pots, + hp pots and all that other mess. I am strongly thinking item shop items would be more for our ships and outfitted looks.

Comments

• graham187graham187 Member Posts: 20

Even if they put in all kinds of nice gear can you really see yourself paying $180 a year for it? Cuz that's what you would be paying if it was P2P. I don't know how these mmo's can generate enough money with item shops unless they can convince people to drop 10 bucks a month on the things and from what I've seen so far the items available in the shop are not impressive enough to spend a lot of coin on repeatedly... perhaps keys will be pricey or chests that need them plentiful.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

You would be amazed what people are willing to spend on a game if it draws them in enough. P2P might be $180 a year, but there are a lot of people on F2P games spending that much per month, and in some cases per week. Ive done it in the past with some games, and my bro continues to do it on his game of choice too. He probably shells out between $200-400 per month still just to continue trying (and usually failing, with about a 5% success rate, and failure causing his stuff to be destroyed) to upgrade enhancements on his gear.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by graham187

Even if they put in all kinds of nice gear can you really see yourself paying $180 a year for it? Cuz that's what you would be paying if it was P2P. I don't know how these mmo's can generate enough money with item shops unless they can convince people to drop 10 bucks a month on the things and from what I've seen so far the items available in the shop are not impressive enough to spend a lot of coin on repeatedly... perhaps keys will be pricey or chests that need them plentiful.

I guess the average F2P user pays more than the P2P one. Sure, some pay nothing, but on the other hand there are people who pay tons and tons of money in item shops to get stuff to show off with.

About Allods Online, I think it's a fun game and well done. But there are many fun games which are well done, and I like them more than Allods, so I won't play it. But if there would be a F2P game I'd love, then I'd agree with the OP and wish it would be P2P.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Originally posted by maji
     I guess the average F2P user pays more than the P2P one. Sure, some pay nothing, but on the other hand there are people who pay tons and tons of money in item shops to get stuff to show off with.
    About Allods Online, I think it's a fun game and well done. But there are many fun games which are well done, and I like them more than Allods, so I won't play it. But if there would be a F2P game I'd love, then I'd agree with the OP and wish it would be P2P.

I think all mmo games should adopt a F2P attitude for at least the low levels to help appeal to the general public. I know there are games I want to try but will refuse until a trial is released. Finally releasing a 7 day free trial was the way EQ2 hooked me in for 3 years and I'm sure I'm not alone. Now apparently game companies are so afraid that people are disliking their beta versions that many open beta's are ironically for subscribers only.

Are there pay for games out that I enjoy playing more then Allods? Yes. More then one to be sure.  But it's the fact that it is F2P and a good game that makes it so appealing, at least to me.

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

This game should be p2p as it is better than over half the p2p games released last year.  I'm afraid the item shop may kill a lot of its potential but we will see.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

Why not just spend $15 a month on the cash shop? Then you've made it P2P and will probably have a significant advantage over most other players...

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

I think the fact they could get an advantage is what is disliked. Not that the person themselves has an advantage, who would complain that they were better, but the fact that others could pay more and have even more of an advantage and the worry of an endless upwords spiral of spending to try and be on top. .. maybe.. but that's just how I interpret the situation and I may be wrong.