Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO - Is Exploring "IN"?

gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

haven't played a whole lot of the open beta but something - for me anyway - seems to be missing

exploring

after getting experience under your belt as a new captain, is there exploring?

not as in missions or quests - just sort of  "helm, warp 5 thataway"

there didn't seem to be an option for this as the ability to warp only appears as it suits the mission

anyway, any "older and wiser" players out there that can fill me in?

Comments

• kevinsalkevinsal Member Posts: 27

Good point. This is what killed EVE for me. Sure you are "warping" to new areas, but it's still space with a different backdrop. Space seems very boring when you are just teleporting from one place to another.

Struggling to find an MMO that I can get into long term. Still my favorite type of game ideally, but none have been immersive enough to make it seem like you’re in a world and not hoping instances.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I've only been playing the beta for a couple days, so I'm not sure what I did actually constitutes "exploration".  Anyway, I saw a little red ship icon in the Vulcan sector space, and figured I'd go check it out.  Turns out there was a little mission there that turned into about a hundred more missions.  What I figured would be a little fight turned into myself and another guy killing and getting killed for what was probably 45 minutes to an hour. 

There was no quest giver telling me to "go to this system and do this", I just decided to take off and see what was there.  Probably not the exporation you're talking about, but I certainly had a blast out there.  Lots of enemies vs two noobs was pretty much on the job training for tactical maneuvering for me, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Again, I'm fairly certain I know what type of exploration you mean, but for an easily amused older guy like me, it worked.  =D

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

maybe should have elaborated a bit

i certainly didn't just want to warp to empty space as most of eve is

but, can you explore (again, not in a mission) as in jumping into new areas with unexplored planets or strange space phenomena or............................................................

• roalandroaland Member UncommonPosts: 185

there are sectors called Deep Space that you can go into. When your there, it just has a bunch of abnormalities that you can scan and most of the time go into for short random missions. There are quests that take you to this type of sector space but you don't really need the quest to run the missions. Not sure about other areas as i haven't been out of the first few sector blocks yet.