Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA gets more funds

Kaliber13Kaliber13 Member Posts: 39

Source - tera-online.pl/index.php

Blue Hole Studios has recently received around 18 million Korean won (15.6 million USD) from several investors. This brings their total money pool or whatever you wanna call it up up to 32 million Korean won (27.7 million USD).

BHS plans to use this money to further develop and polish TERA. Tera will have several different language versions to provide markets around the world.

Comments

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Great news, but I'm not actually sure how much is needed and if the money will be enough :P

• Kaliber13Kaliber13 Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by bronecar

Great news, but I'm not actually sure how much is needed and if the money will be enough :P

I googled some stuff. Found out that AOC(funcom) got around 40 million to develop the game. That could give you somthing to compare to.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

typically major MMO's get about a $14 million - $30 million investment, most of the game was complete before this was made so it's a pretty huge investment which is very very very very good for TERA & BLUEHOLE Studios. It'll be money to invest in making the game that much more incredible.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Hm, so let's see now: they got the brains, the money and the keen eye for community feedback.

So what could go wrong? :)

The only setback for potential 'failure' may come from releasing it at about the same time with FFXIV and Cataclysm. Those 2 mammoths will surely have a devastating impact on such a small, unknown developper such as BHS.

Let's just hope it will release before them. On a side note, arriving later in EU and NA will mean a more stable, bug free game for us :P

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

Yeah, but at the same time Cataclysm is not really expected to be as successful as the other expansions, people are looking for something new, hopefully TERA is innovative enough and good enough to bring people in & keep them. I wish they would work a little bit on marketing the game over here, though...It comes out this year and people are just now catching onto it!  I see FFXIV hurting the potential playerbase, more than Cataclysm, as I think they are targeting the same general community?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The problem with Korean gaming is not money,it is creativity.They are famous for putting all effort[if you want to  call it effort] into the players and mobs,nothing into the game or content.

Before a korean game gets released i already know exactly what the animations and game play will be like.It is not hard since they have NEVER changed their ways,they are really sold on their methods.

The reason why they do not change is probably demographics.Korea has a massive amount of gamers,they probably feel their methods are successful because of design,but imo it is just huge numbers that make everything appear successful.

Their design imo does not bode well to NA gamers,but they probably feel they don't need to change to cater to us,they will make tons of money w/o us.

What TERA will have going for it,will be good looks and a few new ideas into combat,weather that is enough,is too early to tell.You can only perform as a First Person Shooter for so long,PVP gets tiresome and so does a game with no content,so i hope they have done their homework and realize ,over here we NEED content.

The reason we need content is because we have seen all that and done all that ,we are bored of the same old same old.Over sized weapons that are 3x larger than players,spinning flips 50 feet in the air killing 10 mobs in one swoop,is imo kiddie ARCADE gaming,i hope to god we are not going to see more of that in TERA.What i saw in their videos ,APPEARS to look like they are trying to create some thought provoking combat,i hope it is in  depth enough to play out as challenging and not cheap.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    Originally posted by Wizardry

The problem with Korean gaming is not money,it is creativity.They are famous for putting all effort[if you want to  call it effort] into the players and mobs,nothing into the game or content.
    Before a korean game gets released i already know exactly what the animations and game play will be like.It is not hard since they have NEVER changed their ways,they are really sold on their methods.
    The reason why they do not change is probably demographics.Korea has a massive amount of gamers,they probably feel their methods are successful because of design,but imo it is just huge numbers that make everything appear successful.
    Their design imo does not bode well to NA gamers,but they probably feel they don't need to change to cater to us,they will make tons of money w/o us.
    What TERA will have going for it,will be good looks and a few new ideas into combat,weather that is enough,is too early to tell.You can only perform as a First Person Shooter for so long,PVP gets tiresome and so does a game with no content,so i hope they have done their homework and realize ,over here we NEED content.
    The reason we need content is because we have seen all that and done all that ,we are bored of the same old same old.Over sized weapons that are 3x larger than players,spinning flips 50 feet in the air killing 10 mobs in one swoop,is imo kiddie ARCADE gaming,i hope to god we are not going to see more of that in TERA.What i saw in their videos ,APPEARS to look like they are trying to create some thought provoking combat,i hope it is in  depth enough to play out as challenging and not cheap.

Copy and pasting one thing onto another is very korean.  You ever see their cities?  Busan, Incheon,  Seoul every blocks looks exactly the same.  Even small towns seemed to of somehow found a way to copy and paste a seoul block at there center.

• Kaliber13Kaliber13 Member Posts: 39

Look man, your opinion sucks. If you want to keep playing games that have a bunch of dudes runnin around swingin there lil swords every 2 seconds pressing 1-4-2-1-5 all the time then you go ahead and do that. What TERA is bringing to the mmo community is a great thing. I wouldnt mind having a little amount of content if I could have fun all the way to the max lvl by fighting with an action game combat system. They dont do any 50 foot flips, dont know where you got that from... The way they fight seems alot more realistic than some dude standing in front of his enemy and actually missing him even though he hit the monster. Korea is starting a new trend in mmo's now and that is bringing in action orientated combat systems. Games like blade and soul, dragon nest, C9, and mabinogi heroes will all need more skill to play them. Combat will be more fun.

Its time to move on man. A new age of mmo's is coming and are aiming to bring more enjoyment to the genres current boredom. When the beta comes around you go and give this game a try. Hopefully your ignorance toward Korean mmo's wont hold you back because this game is lookin real SICK.

• MotearMotear Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Kaliber13

Originally posted by bronecar

I googled some stuff. Found out that AOC(funcom) got around 40 million to develop the game. That could give you somthing to compare to.

It's additional funds not budget.  If they are getting additional funds that means the investment is there, and this game has potential.  This is good news, now they can use the extra funds on polish all around (pre-game, end-game, expansions, updates, maintenance.)

• EtheldredaEtheldreda Member UncommonPosts: 66

i have come to the conclusion that this boy here, is a a WoWtard

• RPGOmenRPGOmen Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Kaliber13

Look man, your opinion sucks. If you want to keep playing games that have a bunch of dudes runnin around swingin there lil swords every 2 seconds pressing 1-4-2-1-5 all the time then you go ahead and do that. What TERA is bringing to the mmo community is a great thing. I wouldnt mind having a little amount of content if I could have fun all the way to the max lvl by fighting with an action game combat system. They dont do any 50 foot flips, dont know where you got that from... The way they fight seems alot more realistic than some dude standing in front of his enemy and actually missing him even though he hit the monster. Korea is starting a new trend in mmo's now and that is bringing in action orientated combat systems. Games like blade and soul, dragon nest, C9, and mabinogi heroes will all need more skill to play them. Combat will be more fun.

Its time to move on man. A new age of mmo's is coming and are aiming to bring more enjoyment to the genres current boredom. When the beta comes around you go and give this game a try. Hopefully your ignorance toward Korean mmo's wont hold you back because this game is lookin real SICK.

There's nothing really all that wrong with what Wizardry said, nor his suggestions therein.  People have different tastes and someone who is tired of one thing should say so; if we don't have people to speak up at times instead of mindless drones drooling at quick combat and nice graphics then that is all we will get in long run.  It's all about time and money, and if something can pass with limitations and still make money, they won't go the extra mile that will end up getting them roughly the same amounts, while losing more during development.

I genuinely hope Tera does bring in some interesting game play that is fun enough to keep one's attention, but all in all I'm not holding my breath.  It has great looking cities, nice looking races, above average combat pace and now the money to go further along with their plans.  Indeed, the overseas market seems to be geared towards action-oriented fighting what with Blade and Soul, C9, and Tera to name a few... Though there are at least ten others doing the same thing from overseas as well, and soon all of that will be derivated and we will be deciding between a dozen or more games with the same core idea of how to build a brand new "MMO Future" much like we have hundreds of grindy games that followed the same path.

If longevity is what is wanted, then content is what is needed to add unto these "new" styles of game play.  Whether that is interesting PvP, a nice storyline, team PvE, solo PvE, good lore, owning property, extras or whatever... The combat and graphics draw people in, and what it offers besides that keeps them... Along with, of course, making friends and staying to hang with them.

Overall Tera is coming off as a game of Lore what with how their races are displayed, their released cinematics, their websites, etc... We have an old knight recounted a battle of old in one, a massive battle where one's friends were slaughtered and the young heroine goes on to fight the darkness alone to seemingly be overwhelmed at the end, and characters interacting with one another whether in battle or simply showing graphics. 

It's gimmick can't simply be "we have large cities, good graphics, and good fighting" as that's how every other overseas games that will be released hereon will be like.  Blade and soul has dominated the "fighting-like" gimmick with their new class trailer, though has little to show for via cinamatics when it comes to lore -- not that I'm saying or claiming there won't be any in the game, but unlike Tera they aren't capitalizing upon it in trailers.

The ultimate challenge all of these MMOs -- especially the P2P ones -- will face will be getting and keeping players in an ever expanding P2P market.  With the extra effort people are putting in their games they will start charging monthly fees, and the player base will be stretched to the mammoths and the small fries will be left to to the way of either Dungeons & Dragons / RF Online (Mech based PvP game) / Archlord with whom went free to play after failing to keep a marketable players, or even falling straight off the map like Tabula Rasa -- Maybe even offer free to play in starting areas like Age of Conan did and Warhammer online does.

We have FFXIV and Cataclysm, Tera and Blade and Soul (Is C9 P2P or F2P?), Star Wars and Global Agenda (Though they offer a free service and only charge for conquest maps)... Etc.  Etc.  All of whom will be clammering for the same populace.

Now I'm not suggesting some of these games go F2P, but have plans in case they don't do so well and have people who enjoyed their games lose them.

-------------------------

FFXIV and Cataclysm have huge fan bases -- The future of FFXIV is still up in the air as no real combat videos were relased other than alpha version of people who didn't know how to play watching the screen and letting things auto attack.  Cataclysm is expected to hit big numbers as, like WotLK targeted WCIII players, it targets old Vanilla players by offering a new world and a sleuth of new quests/lore/graphics/combat and bringing back old systems like the officer system.

I hope some of these have lifetime memberships as I typically limit myself to about 2-4 P2P games at a time... More so the sooner thant he latter due to the new thesis I am started to write and hope to get turned in by 2011.  XIV interests me since I still play FFXI to some degree and my friends might coax me into making a character on WoW when Cataclysm hits; I typically dislike MMOs nowadays simply because it sucks when you quit a game and lose your character -- that's why I prefer lifetime memberships for $200-300 whent the game comes out and I know that it be less of a waste of time.

-------------------------

In any case... I do play on trying Tera as those trailers got me interested in the world of Arborea... Though if it's just a game where you grind to whatever level, no matter how fun it is, I'll most likely pass (unless I'm able to buy a lifetime membership).  I know FFXIV will offer that, at the very least.  It's not that I don't think it won't be good or that I won't have fun with it, it's a matter of looking down the line months from now to where I think I will be with it, especially when other games tempt me.

Edit:  Name error (RO - RF).

• Krn_AssassinKrn_Assassin Member Posts: 581

^ Lol at the mention of Cataclysm, who the hell wants to play that re-hashed garbage anyway.

Tera even without extra funds or mass marketing will be popular through word of mouth and will gain tons of money once released in America and Europe. It doesn't matter what the fanboys or haters say, they know the business route to take to make sure they maximize profits.