Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Sherlock Holmes movie

IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I went and saw it yesterday.  I thought it was well done.  It portrayed Holmes the way it should be, without the weird hat and as a brawling, rude, and insulting person that walks around in filthy clothes, sleeps on the floor, and does his experiments on the poor dog.  I'm not sure why left out the drug use though... but whatever.

I thought the movie was done very well.  I had my doubts about Jude Law playing Watson though but he managed just fine.  I walked out of the theater not regretting the admission price.  It's how I gage my movies nowadays.  Anyways, what did the rest of you that saw it think? 

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

Comments

• PyrichPyrich Member Posts: 1,040

Haven't seen it yet but i think I'm going to like it.  Though i probabley would of liked it more if they would of taken a younger sherlock holmes approach,  like with the current batman and star trek.  Even in the books Holmes was a action kinda guy in his younger days.

Also,  i think RDJ is good example of a holmes charactor,  minus the height of Holmes who was like 6'3 or 6 or somthing in the books.

The fantasy element of it is a bit stronger in this version from what i hear,  which in the originals was more of a scooby doo style unmasking of some villian who would of gotten away with it if not for the tall lanky and slightly aged detective and his plump friend.

As for the drug usage,  this is RDJ here,   i think it's best for his sake not to bring the temptation back,  poor guy could go back into his 90's style binges and totally ruin the iron man franchise he's building....  though that charactor is a drug dependant hero himself I guess....

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Sorry but as age old Holmes fan I find this abhorrent. I mean, it sure is a cool movie, but why did they have to name them Holmes and Watson? They have zero to do with Holmes. Even if you go on some lanes of interpretation. The best modern Holmes interpretation was Jeremy Brett as Holmes. This movie is just Holmes by name. Its ridiculous, and an obvious kowtow to the quick dying fashion trend and teenage taste. Not bad in itself, but its a rape of everything Holmes stands for.

The movie in itself may be good, I just saw the first half via internet, to see if it was worth it. So I won't judge that. But Holmes stands for calm intellect over brawl. Holmes always bragged it was mostly not necessry to even leave his room to solve a crime! Thats why he calls himself "consulting detective": people consult him, he advises other detectives, like Scotland Yard. Most parts of Doyle's Holmes are dialogue and in the rooms of Baker Street! Again, nothing about the movie itself, but its nothing whatsoever that defined Sherlock Holmes. Try watching Jeremy Brett as Holmes to see a good and also modern version.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Illius

I went and saw it yesterday.  I thought it was well done.  It portrayed Holmes the way it should be, without the weird hat and as a brawling, rude, and insulting person that walks around in filthy clothes, sleeps on the floor, and does his experiments on the poor dog.  I'm not sure why left out the drug use though... but whatever.
    I thought the movie was done very well.  I had my doubts about Jude Law playing Watson though but he managed just fine.  I walked out of the theater not regretting the admission price.  It's how I gage my movies nowadays.  Anyways, what did the rest of you that saw it think? 

This is why i dont rate this as a Sherlock Holmes movie as Sherlock Holmes is nothing like this!

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Yeah, but intellect is soo lame. I mean really. What I want is Holmes laying down some righteous heat with his M60, an explosion or chase at least every other minute, and all this enhanced by a soundtrack so obnoxious my ears will be guaranteed to bleed for a week.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by Illius

Agreed. It's an updated version of Holmes, but still set in the 19th Century.

Also, the character of Watson was nicely done, intelligent and resourceful, unlike how he was portrayed in earlier movies where he was always brave, but not always bright outside his field of medicine.

As far as the drug use, it starts later in Holmes career. There's time for him to find the needle yet.

• GazenthiaGazenthia Member Posts: 1,186

I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like I am going to be disappointed. I'm a fan of the original stories. it looks like the closest I will get to a real Sherlock Holmes movie is just a really awesome video game called Sherlock Holmes Vs. Jack the Ripper, one of a series. Compare the Sherlock of that game (youtube it) to what we see of Sherlock in the movie through trailers and tell me which you actually like more.

MAN, why can't they get it right?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/12/13/

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I really enjoyed it.  Only issue I had with Holmes was his physical appearance.  From what Ive read (doyle) he was taller and skinnier.  I also recall him having a thing for hygeine.  Although, it really touched on his ability to become quickly bored which later leads to more drug experimenting and opiate use.

Overall though, probably the best portrayal of him yet that I've seen.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

This is one of those movies that really just do not interest me one bit.  I guess because it's Sherlock Holmes isn't a very interesting character to me, weather or not it's close to the real character, which I doubt, doesn't change anything.

• naseynasey Member Posts: 4

It's a very good film for me! It was just as I expected although I was not completely satisfied. I feel like it has a sequel...

• ChealarChealar Member Posts: 268

I feel like they infuse a bit of House MD in Sherlock Holmes (which is ironic since House was created based on Holmes), but it was fine. I had a friend complaining about Holmes being a drug addict and a fighter... Well, duh, in the books he is addicted to cocaine and he is quite a good boxer.

All in all, I think this Holmes was paradoxically close to the books and the movie just flow very well.