Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If You Were To Choose Between FFXIV And Tera...

bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

I for one am waiting for both and I'll be able to purchase/sub just for one of them.

Surely, not all of you are interested in both. But what about those who are?

What would your pick be and why? :)

Comments

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I'm a long time FF series fan, I own almost every game, but if I had to pick, I'd pick TERA.. I'm not a fan of changing clothes and being a new class/job, so FFXIV will be among the more recent FF's that I won't purchase, X-2, Dirge of Cerebrus, Crysis Core,  and the DS/Gamecube games being the others.

• Kaliber13Kaliber13 Member Posts: 39

Im definitly gettin TERA. Im not even gonna play any other mmo until it comes out. Unless, dragon nest comes out sooner. The point is to forget about old school point n click mmo's like FF14, and enjoy some action in TERA. No targeting just run up in that biotch n start swingin my weapon(s). Plus its got giant lizards and bad-ass lookin demons and some "Immovable Tower" looking descendants of giants,  some crazy lil raccons runnin round in a forest. Prolly gonna be an Aman Warrior. Named Aumon... get your own name, ive already been compromised once...

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by Kaliber13

Im definitly gettin TERA. Im not even gonna play any other mmo until it comes out. Unless, dragon nest comes out sooner. The point is to forget about old school point n click mmo's like FF14, and enjoy some action in TERA. No targeting just run up in that biotch n start swingin my weapon(s). Plus its got giant lizards and bad-ass lookin demons and some "Immovable Tower" looking descendants of giants,  some crazy lil raccons runnin round in a forest. Prolly gonna be an Aman Warrior. Named Aumon... get your own name, ive already been compromised once...

you do realize ff14 is not point and click. like FF11 the game was built for PC and consoles, so point and click never did or will happen.

• LocienLocien Member Posts: 87

Definitely TERA. But if FFXIV isn't too much like FFXI and is interesting I might try it out as well. But I'm really big on PvPing so TERA will be my main MMORPG.

If FFXIV has nice controls and a fun combat system there's nothing that's saying I won't be playing both at the same time. At the moment I'm keeping my eyes on both TERA and FFXIV, but I'm more excited for TERA since it seems way more interesting.

Originally posted by zanfire

you do realize ff14 is not point and click. like FF11 the game was built for PC and consoles, so point and click never did or will happen.

Dog... Final Fantasy 11 was boring as hell! Takes you like 3 seconds to attack. Its still a game worth checking out cuz its "FINAL FANTASY" but its still just a target and watch while pressing a few buttons. Tera however doesnt have any unrealistic weapon delays and if you hit an enemy u see damage not "miss"

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Dog... Final Fantasy 11 was boring as hell! Takes you like 3 seconds to attack. Its still a game worth checking out cuz its "FINAL FANTASY" but its still just a target and watch while pressing a few buttons. Tera however doesnt have any unrealistic weapon delays and if you hit an enemy u see damage not "miss"

Boring is not the same as point and click. Diablo 2 was point and click. FFXI was not point and click. My friend plays it entirely with a keyboard. Point and click uses a mouse.

On topic: It really depends on if my friends stick with XIV and on which combat system I prefer the most. I don't know how either feels so I can't say either way for certain, but it's leaning towards XIV just because my rl buddies are planning on playing.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    Tera for sure.
    Originally posted by mrcalhou

Boring is not the same as point and click. Diablo 2 was point and click. FFXI was not point and click. My friend plays it entirely with a keyboard. Point and click uses a mouse.

On topic: It really depends on if my friends stick with XIV and on which combat system I prefer the most. I don't know how either feels so I can't say either way for certain, but it's leaning towards XIV just because my rl buddies are planning on playing.

I used a ps2 controller to play it... What im sayin is that you stand there and attack every 1-3 seconds and press a few hotkeys or macro's. While in tera you get the freedom of attacking continously. Also you wont get owned by a mob  swingin a sword at the air thats several feet away from you as your tryin to run out of the dunes or some crap like that

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

FF will most likely but superior in both game play and sub numbers.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    Originally posted by bronecar

I for one am waiting for both and I'll be able to purchase/sub just for one of them.
    Surely, not all of you are interested in both. But what about those who are?
    What would your pick be and why? :)

I second this! I will buy both games, maybe not at the same time but I sure wanna try both.

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Alright lets all go play the game with the most sub numbers!

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

FF will most likely but superior in both game play and sub numbers

Alright lets all go play the game with the [better] gameplay!

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670

Issue is, how do you know which game has better gameplay for one self, yourself, before playing it.

So unless you (me, anyone) has access to honest beta (and no ninja patch before launch), it is hard to tell what gameplay it is.  Reading here, looking at videos, beta reviews, does not do justice to the game.  It is like a movie, you have to view it to tell if it is good.

Short of hands on a beta, you can try to make a guestimate on the game through its past (if it is a sequel), through its developer (if that developer has some serious previous titles, or conversely a serious good or bad reputation somewhere), or take a look at the community (forum fights) and maybe website.

FF has a long history, back through PS2 days.  It has a solid story, great sequels, some interesting movies, and a well designed online game for its days (its intro movie was breath taking then).  So long as the next FF keeps it up, it should not be aweful.  As the this new game, it is just as good as tossing a coin.  I have no idea.

Lets hope the new game is not going to be infested with "pvp dogs", "wise kids" or "griefers/gankers".  PvP games live and die by the community.  Since DAoC, I have yet to come across another PvP game with good community.  That is why we have yet a success after UO and DAoC.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

You never know which will be superior...But I'm gonna definitely try TERA.

You can look at it this way. The name Final Fantasy is know by all rpg gamers for the past 10 years or so. That name alone gives Final Fantasy 14 so much more hype then any great gameplay SE could put in there. Im not sayin the games gonna be crappy or anything. Ill most likely buy it myself. However, TERA deserves a chance for its great action game styled combat system and overall great looking world.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

You can look at it this way. The name Final Fantasy is know by all rpg gamers for the past 10 years or so. That name alone gives Final Fantasy 14 so much more hype then any great gameplay SE could put in there. Im not sayin the games gonna be crappy or anything. Ill most likely buy it myself. However, TERA deserves a chance for its great action game styled combat system and overall great looking world.

After seeing the gameplay movie provided for FFXIV and comparing it to TERA I must say TERA does seem more action oriented and interactive in terms of combat, which suits my playstyle.

However, FFIV will surely provide a more immersive world both in terms of lore and character interaction.

The way I see it it's PvP (TERA) vs PvE (FFXIV), so they kinda complement each other.

Originally posted by bronecar

After seeing the gameplay movie provided for FFXIV and comparing it to TERA I must say TERA does seem more action oriented and interactive in terms of combat, which suits my playstyle.

However, FFIV will surely provide a more immersive world both in terms of lore and character interaction.

The way I see it it's PvP (TERA) vs PvE (FFXIV), so they kinda complement each other.

I would really like to see them both do good. You prolly got a good point about Lore. SE always a good story teller..

• ZergyZergy Member UncommonPosts: 73

Everyone to WoW!

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

My decision will come down to one thing: Instancing. If the world is not huge along with a minimum amount of instancing. I will not play it. My reasoning is pretty simple. I AM AN EXPLORER! I love just walking around finding stuff. That is all I want, truly. If a game cannot satisfy that need, I move on.

Hell, I still have not found an mmo that had me playing for 2+ years like when I played daggerfall, morrowind, or SWG. (I loved scouting out resources in SWG, spent more time doing that than fighting.)

Hell, since I do not want to be a stickler about the matter, even zones are acceptable. As long as they are HUGE!

BOOYAKA!

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Child race or teddy bear race? Why must they make me choose

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• kejjkejj Member Posts: 37

Final Fantasy 14 ! love the music

"It's not that I'm so smart; it's just that I stay with problems longer."
    -- Albert Einstein

• etikilametikilam Member Posts: 41

I'll go all in on whoever lets me in their beta first. 

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

I'll try both, hopefully they dont launch close together...Because I am pretty sure FFXIV will win that fight. We could be surprised though, we do not know too much about T.E.R.A. except for their intent on being innovative and creative with it.

• MotearMotear Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by lisubab

Issue is, how do you know which game has better gameplay for one self, yourself, before playing it.

So unless you (me, anyone) has access to honest beta (and no ninja patch before launch), it is hard to tell what gameplay it is.  Reading here, looking at videos, beta reviews, does not do justice to the game.  It is like a movie, you have to view it to tell if it is good.

Short of hands on a beta, you can try to make a guestimate on the game through its past (if it is a sequel), through its developer (if that developer has some serious previous titles, or conversely a serious good or bad reputation somewhere), or take a look at the community (forum fights) and maybe website.

FF has a long history, back through PS2 days.  It has a solid story, great sequels, some interesting movies, and a well designed online game for its days (its intro movie was breath taking then).  So long as the next FF keeps it up, it should not be aweful.  As the this new game, it is just as good as tossing a coin.  I have no idea.

Lets hope the new game is not going to be infested with "pvp dogs", "wise kids" or "griefers/gankers".  PvP games live and die by the community.  Since DAoC, I have yet to come across another PvP game with good community.  That is why we have yet a success after UO and DAoC.

completely agree FF does has a long history from how I remember (Nintendo) and playstation, however I can't choose yet because I haven't tried any of them.  I think it's all a matter of your gamestyle.  I am personally leaning towards TERA for the PVP/Open world/Fighting style aspect, but I will try both and prob play both!

BHS has a potential for making a real good starting name for themselves and who knows maybe they will be the next MMO to follow. 

PVP community...ahhh yes remember the old UOt2a days ... Make a new character ... goto Britt graveyard ... bam PKed. JK UOt2a was one of the best MMO's I have ever played until the whole RG Origin --> Mythic Ent EA fail, I still try to compare stuff to UO as others are now comparing stuff to WoW.

But again back on topic.  They are both different games, different gamestyles, and I think will both be good games.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I am going all in on Tera. I am looking forward to Final Fantasy also but Tera is more of the type of game I am looking for. As for sub numbers your really cant say. Final Fantasy XI was a great game but it did not do as good as Lineage 2 did and everybody knows that Tera is being made by former Lineage 2 developers. I do hope both games do well though.