Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there no Might and Magic mmo???

From the late 80's through the early 2000's, the M&M franchise was fun and addictive. I know that some time ago the original company folded and the IP was bought out. But still, why did they not work on developing this IP into a viable mmo?

One thing that hurst fledgling fantasy based mmo's is there is no solid lore or background to capture the imagionation of the player. M&M would have that going for itself and have a possible future.

Comments

• RosmariiniRosmariini Member UncommonPosts: 154

I have been thinking about this myself many times, since I loved them. So my vote is a definite yes.

Currently playing: N/A :(
    Retired from: GW, WAR, Aion, LOTRO, Rift, SW:TOR, Vinductus

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
  • abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

i thought there was a might and magic MMO already coming out?

• zimzimzimzim Member Posts: 60

Homm, and Might and magic are 2 difrent games:P

I WANT A SCI-FI MMO!! (NOT EVE, or Fom, or FE)

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by TheHatter

An HoMM MMO would be boring beyond comprehension.
    I love HoMM and it was one of the first computer games I got addicted to, but it would not make a good MMO at all.

I've never played the HoMM line, only the regular M and M. The regular games had neat worlds to explore!!

One thing that might and magic makes me think of is the fact that graphics don't make a great game. Most of the MM games had sub par graphics but the gameplay was addictive and easy to get wrapped up in.

• ShijeerShijeer Member Posts: 131

Hell yeah I would like a M&M mmo, those games were one of the first ones that introduced me to PC RPG's, 5 (Nostalgic), 6 (Great), 7 (Amazing), 8 (Good), 9 (Crap) oh the hours I've put into them, I know it's impossible to understand now in retrospect but at the time those games were really innovative, immersive and fun. They had a sense of adventure, danger and exploration that I seldom feel with modern games.

That being said, do we really need another classic high fantasy mmo ? How do we approach the problem of translating first person hero groups into an online game ? Personally I think it cant be done right, on the other hand using the in-game worlds of those games is a great idea, look how great Heroes of Might and Magic fared. On top of all that, Ubisoft holds the rights I believe and they downright butchered the series with their last attempt. (Dark Messiah)

- Shijeer 

Dark Messiah is a great example of pretty graphics don't mean pretty gameplay. The game itself was awful.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by zimzim

Homm, and Might and magic are 2 difrent games:P

So they are, I've never played M&M then.

• ThalliusThallius Member Posts: 14

Heroes of Telara is in development and comes in part from the mind that hatched the M&M universe-Jon Van Caneghem. I found HoT while looking up Jon and any games he might be conjuring up. Laser Blasters in a fantasy RPG computer game- yeah they did it and it fit right in with the stories created for the games. I've played the new Heroes games and I tried the Dark Messiah demo and was not impressed in the least. The new owners of the IP are not doing any justice to it. They killed Nicolai and turned him into an undead !

Played:EQ,DDO,WoW,EQ2,Eve Online Trial,Fallen Earth,NWN&NWN2

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

@OP: You got me... I should think that MMOGs based on these old RPG favorites would be a no-brainer. I mean look at Ultima Online for instance... but who knows how these developers think?

These might bring back some fond memories for some people, I know they make me all misty with nostalgia... 8)

Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aVds_czOo0

Might & Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QohuuqOtv54

Might & Magic V: Darkside of Xeen intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vLSoU0E07M

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004