Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another year free?

HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

I can understand having a year for free, but 2 years free? I'm beginning to question Funcoms sanity. There must be another reason other than to tempt people to pay for other expansions (SL, AI, NW). Are they stress testing new equipment? Are they hoping word of mouth will spread and they are secretly working on another mmorpg (not necessarily AO-2)?

1 year I can see as good publicity, 2 year's Im getting a little suspicious as to why?

Don't get me wrong all credit to them AO is a good game, possibly the best sci-fi mmorpg on the market at the moment despite an aging graphics engine and certainly within the top 5 mmorpgs of recent years for sheer uniqueness.

Maybe they are hoping for maximum audience for patch 15.8, for those of who unfamiliar with Alien Invansion it was quite frankly geared towards bigger orgs and higher levels. 15.8 will introduce aliens into Rubi-Ka allowing more players to gain Alien XP.

Could it be there accountants have done some sums and figured that if just 10% of people on free trial subscribe to another expansion they will gain a healthy profit.

All in all, thumbs up to Funcom. image

Comments

• AngryHippieAngryHippie Member Posts: 214

They are working on another mmorpg (last I heard), but I don't think this free Ao has much to do with it. Or maybe it has, it sure doesn't hurt their next advertising project.

I had the impression Ao was dieing, but with the free offer they'll attract many players. (Obviously the free Ao is better than most other free mmo's out there.) As erlier mentioned in these forums, some of these players will stay with the game and buy the expansions, cause expansions are 'needed' at higher lvls. Also, all these new free players will ensure that veteran players stays too. I mean, they're like Gods in there now I imagine, with their phatz and all the noobs running around.

So yeah, think you're right about those 10%.

---------------------------
    "Maybe your ram is bad."

• DreadsDreads Member Posts: 2
    wanna tell me where exactly you got this information who said we get 2 years free? i got an e-mail saying "We have increased your free time an additional two weeks so that you may play AO basic free of charge until January 15th, 2006!" thats far from 2 years. so yeah where does it say we get 2 years free?

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

Oh yes just to January 2006, but if they don't get enough subscribers maybe they will extend it.

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Originally posted by Hashman
    I can understand having a year for free, but 2 years free? I'm beginning to question Funcoms sanity. There must be another reason other than to tempt people to pay for other expansions (SL, AI, NW). Are they stress testing new equipment? Are they hoping word of mouth will spread and they are secretly working on another mmorpg (not necessarily AO-2)?
    1 year I can see as good publicity, 2 year's Im getting a little suspicious as to why?
    Don't get me wrong all credit to them AO is a good game, possibly the best sci-fi mmorpg on the market at the moment despite an aging graphics engine and certainly within the top 5 mmorpgs of recent years for sheer uniqueness.
    Maybe they are hoping for maximum audience for patch 15.8, for those of who unfamiliar with Alien Invansion it was quite frankly geared towards bigger orgs and higher levels. 15.8 will introduce aliens into Rubi-Ka allowing more players to gain Alien XP.
    Could it be there accountants have done some sums and figured that if just 10% of people on free trial subscribe to another expansion they will gain a healthy profit.
    All in all, thumbs up to Funcom. image

actually funcom is working on 2 MMOs

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

As someone who plays AO ocassionally that is what I have heard on the forums. IF Funcom were to release Anarchy Online 2 with something like Half Life 2's source engine then they would have it made, because apart from a few issues with Alien Invasion and some professions (I played an NT ::::01::::::01::::::01:: ) they have a good story and a good structure. Rubi-Ka and Shadowlands are some of the most realistic fantasy landscapes I have seen. :). Maybe they are working on a different genre, I hope not because I know a lot of people that play AO specifically to get away from the LOTR, elves and chainmail armor nonsense to something more unique and engaging.

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261
      The chance to suscribe for free was supposed to finsih on January 15th 2005,  that is what has been extended for the year.  Anytime in 2005 that you inscribe to AO basic it will be free till January 15th 2006.....

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

i wonder that some of you guys didnt recognize the great marketing idea.
    the game suffered on subscribers and with this new marketing idea they hope to draw more people for longer time to their game with the chance that a high percentage will subscribe for their addons which arent gratis, imo really cool marketing strategy.

• khyron72khyron72 Member Posts: 2

Yes great marketing!  I knew it was to get people to start playing for free then upgrade either after the free year is done or during that free year.  They know that you will either want to see the kewl stuff that is in the expansions, or have friends that go to the expansions and you will buy so you can play with them. 

I wish more MMO's would do that.  EQ would be great to do that, get people back to playing in the original 3 continents.

What other 2 mmo's are funcom working on?

• ForeverDawnForeverDawn Member Posts: 203

oh yo, i just got this e-mail from funcom saying the SL is free of cost tbefore feb 7th, and it comes wit Notum wars too...i was wondering..if i download it...will my free year account still be free for a yr and ill have SL, or will it start billing me..thanks

imageForeverDawn (name on AO)

its a philosophy, can u figure it out?

"Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young."

• jf.1987jf.1987 Member Posts: 3

ForeverDawn: I'm pretty sure that they will start charging you, but I'm not 100% so look in the FAQ or drop them a line.

And, only 2 years free???? listen to this:

"It’s currently the long-term goal for Funcom to make sure that the removal of subscription fees, client costs and the need to have a credit card when registering for Anarchy Online will become a permanent offering, making sure that anyone curious about the heralded qualities of the ultimate sci-fi MMORPG can play without any financial commitments."

Quote from: http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/news/articles/8447L/

So.....Anarchy may always be free!!

I might buy one or two of the expansions though, 'cause the monthly cost is way way below what other companies charge. Go Funcom! I see you have earned your name.

BTW if you like anarchy online do you reckon u will buy an expansion? Use poll

Thank you for the answer, I wasnt sure, and AO is free forever? hee hee coooool. I'll start playing..forever lol. ForeverDawn (tee hee)  thats cool man, thanks that u knew where to look.  AWESOME....still if ya ever do need help on AO,u knoiw my name.  Good luck and thanks again

its a philosophy can u figure it out?

"Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young."

I don't like that email cause the info is there ubt you have to notice it:

* Subscription fees will apply, starting as low as $7.95 per month for a full year plan.

The second you upgrade the account it is charged monthly fees. 

As I said somewhere else, I think it is worth it and am paying for 2 accounts, plus I have a free one, but I hate people to get sucked in and rather it be a concious choice.

• jf.1987jf.1987 Member Posts: 3
    yeah lol you really gotta read the fine print, but still $7 a month is a bargain, and from what I've played of the free version so far, it would be well well worth it.
      Again read carefully,  7.95 per month if you pay in advance for a year.  Month per month it is 14.95 ...

Originally posted by Red_Rider
      The chance to suscribe for free was supposed to finsih on January 15th 2005,  that is what has been extended for the year.  Anytime in 2005 that you inscribe to AO basic it will be free till January 15th 2006.....

ou sure? cuase i have a friend who downloaded AO after Jan 15th 2005 and he says it aint free for a year, only for a week or so.  Please explain in more full detail if it is or isnt free till jan 15th 2006, thanks and GL.  Keep a sharp eye and good hunting.

Its a philosophy can u figure it out?

If you only download the basic game with no expansions it is free till 15 Jan 2006.  But if at any time you download an expansion, you start paying. You do not have to enter credit card info for Basic AO so there is not way they can charge you. 
  • katkallkatkall Member UncommonPosts: 39

This is strange.  After seeing games like motor city online/earth & beyond shut down because of low subscribership this seems like a whole new way of marketing, hopefully one which catches on.  How simple get the game in as many hands as possible and let them enjoy the game, get bored with it, then get uber and want all the expansions and start competing at top lvls then guess what if you drop the free game you lose all your uber loot.,  8^)   It seems like they are commited to keeping this game afloat.

Funcom were also the first with 7/14 day free trials.  Being a small company they have to be innovative and are...

Between the upgrading Freebies and the people returning from trying WoW and EQ 2,  some parts of Shadowlands are getting crowded, I am happy to say.   A little before Christmas there were so few people in SL it was a bit scary ....

Not too bad, Not too bad at all. It is kind of fishy that AO may be free for 2 yrs or forever, forever on the dawn....what are they up to? (hee hee refernce to my name....) I still think I too will pick up shadowlands and Notum Wars or ALien invaison, just to see how they play and stuff, and it how it works alongside with AO and all that jazz.  Nice...Keep a sharpy eye and good hunting to all who play AO and have fun with it.

Its a philosohy Can u figure it out?

• AndyDK90AndyDK90 Member Posts: 6

But this game costs money, or am i wrong ?

THis game does cost money yes, but this year is free, if you want to get an expansion pack, then Funcom will start billing you.  Recently, I have gotten an e-mail from Funcom saying that you can get the Shadowlands expansion and recieve Notum Wars free of charge.  But Funcom will start billing you for the Shadowlands expansion if you play it.  You can only play the basic, orginal, AO withoout charge.  Hope this helped.  "...Nice, thats my opinion, deal with it, or not.  The choice is yours."

It's a philosphy, can you figure it out?