Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I like it !

mortalitymortality Member UncommonPosts: 77

Been playing the Beta test for a couple of days now and I like it so far.

Character generation/creation is excellent especially if you wish to create an alien looking avatar.

The tutorial like part went smoothly for me with no hicups.

I like the fact you can walk around space stations and planets (something seriously lacking in Eve online)

Space conbat is easy and not the least frustraiting, grapically very pleasing.

Only came across one minor bug relating to item information, (which I did report)

I have experienced the log in//server troubles, which is being addressed (nice to see they are working on that one already)

The game feedback is good, if you go to report a bug you find a list of already reported bugs to make sure you dont waste your time reporting a known issue.

Comments

• trnqlChaostrnqlChaos Member Posts: 34

I like it too. Same experience as you, pretty much. There are some little things I have gripes with, such as loading screens and player animations, but space combat is amazing, away missions are fun and it feels very much Star Trek. I've enjoyed the OB experience as much as I've enjoyed any MMO since SWG (I know they are entirely different games) and I can't wait to see what this thing looks like after a year of polishing and updates. I've only made it to Level 4 (Ensign 4) so I still have a lot to experience.

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

I bought Champions Online Lifetime sub, so been playing STO. I have been reserved about STO for a while now. But since I played this past weekend, those reservations are gone. STO will be a good game worthy of my cash. I currently uninstalled the client, I don’t want to complete too much content and I will wait for them to get the bugs worked out (plus Mass Effect 2 is out this month).

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

So far I like it too.  Not as intimidating at EVE, fun and good looking space combat, away teams, planet missions, configurable ships, etc.

It's growing on me.

• segmentfaultsegmentfault Member Posts: 75

Is the ground combat in STO similar to Anarchy Online?

• NickwisniNickwisni Member Posts: 42

So far I like it, but staying away from open beta as much as possible as I do not want to "burn myself out" on the game already before it even releases. I have done that with so many various open and closed betas that I do not even feel like playing the actual game.

• ZANGFEIZANGFEI Member Posts: 439

I like it as well:

It's a fun and different than what i normally play.

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

I'm glad to see some people like it.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• ReckerRecker Member Posts: 161

I am so happy to see someone make a positive comment. I see alot of people bitching about things that are to be expected in open beta like lag/server queues etc... An honest i like this because is a refreshing change to the constant picking apart of games that happens alot here.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by segmentfault

I'm not sure how AO did ground combat, but in STO it blows IMO. Space is where it's at...not the ground. If they re-did the whole ground combat thing I'd be very pleased.

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by segmentfault

I'm not sure how AO did ground combat, but in STO it blows IMO. Space is where it's at...not the ground. If they re-did the whole ground combat thing I'd be very pleased.

I respectfully disagree. I however thought the same thing until this past weekend. During closed beta I thought the away team (my toon also) had a stick shoved up their *&^. It was the way they ran. But this weekend, the running looked a lot better and the combat was more intense. I think they will fine tune the game more to be life like. And with the special combat skills, it made it more interesting. I think they got the space combat down pretty well, they just need to fine tune the ground combat some more. The group ground combat was very fast paced and well done, the ship combat in groups is excellent. I think the balancing act between a ground combat and space combat is going to tough when spending your skill points. Before I was spending all of my points into space combat, but since this weekend, I found myself spending on both.

But anyway, it is going to be a good game for trekkies as I have stated before. Veteran MMO gamers will be at all areas of the spectrum on STO from hardcore fanboy to hardcore troll.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Nickwisni

So far I like it, but staying away from open beta as much as possible as I do not want to "burn myself out" on the game already before it even releases. I have done that with so many various open and closed betas that I do not even feel like playing the actual game.

Eh, if you can burn yourself out in two weeks, isn't it better to do that without spending 50 bucks?

• KeynoKeyno Member UncommonPosts: 47

I'm going to have to chime in and put my vote in as well - I like it!

Instancing works well with this type of game, only time I wish there was no instancing was in the sectors, I would prefer open space travel. Other then that I have no real gripes about open beta, it's as I expected and I have been pleasantly surprised with the feel of the game.

• NickwisniNickwisni Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Drachasor

Originally posted by Nickwisni

Eh, if you can burn yourself out in two weeks, isn't it better to do that without spending 50 bucks?

I just prefer playing the game with full features instead of being limited on what you can do by an early level cap. By playing open beta, most people rush to get to the higher levels to get most out of that for free. While as great as that can be, it is not the purpose of a beta. I rather just pay for the game while knowing I can enjoy what I have so far and be able to play with people I know that will be playing. I'm not going to just rush and as I said burn myself out on the game. In other words, I do not want to get bored by it already by going through the same content I already did in the beta in the actual game.

• sa1yamansa1yaman Member Posts: 272

I like it too. But ground PvP instances will  wreak havoc on progression - very short matches+rewards = admirals in few days.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743
    Originally posted by sa1yaman

I like it too. But ground PvP instances will  wreak havoc on progression - very short matches+rewards = admirals in few days.

Make sure you post that if you feel it will be an issue!

Glad to see some are enjoying the game.  It is not a bad game just, not something I will subscribe too.  Not what I am looking for yet. 

What am I looking for? 

Dunno really, just not this.  hehe

I wish you all well and "Live long and prosper" in the game.  \ //_  <-- you know what I was trying for there.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I look forward to it arriving in my mailbox withing the next week. ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786
    Originally posted by mortality

Been playing the Beta test for a couple of days now and I like it so far.
    Character generation/creation is excellent especially if you wish to create an alien looking avatar.
    The tutorial like part went smoothly for me with no hicups.
    I like the fact you can walk around space stations and planets (something seriously lacking in Eve online)
    Space conbat is easy and not the least frustraiting, grapically very pleasing.
    Only came across one minor bug relating to item information, (which I did report)
    I have experienced the log in//server troubles, which is being addressed (nice to see they are working on that one already)
    The game feedback is good, if you go to report a bug you find a list of already reported bugs to make sure you dont waste your time reporting a known issue.

You are not alone, there are thousands like you who are having a blast. Hope to see you all once game goes live.