Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzards next-gen MMO is...

2»

Comments

• emestoemesto Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by Slimfrog

Sigh....

New Intellectual Property.
    Link : http://www.massively.com/2009/05/13/first-official-confirmation-that-new-blizzard-mmo-is-original-ip/

We've already stated it'll be a brand new franchise, which means the lore, art, and game play are being developed entirely from scratch. It's an overwhelming process, but a process through which we excel. Our track record supports this."

I like how Blizzard still likes to blow smoke. Our record supports us making a game from scratch ? My god , they took everything from Warhammer and shoved it into Warcraft. This is why "seeing is believing" with Blizzard. The only ip they ever worked on that was original was Diablo and it wasnt even Blizzard Irvine's game, it was Blizzard North's game which Blizzard Irvine only published. So until I see a new game and it isn't a carbon copy of another with a different coat of paint on it then I'll be taking the"seeing is believing" approach until further notice. :D

You do have a point there. Blizzard is known for many things, originality is certainly not among them.

A Microsoft of the gaming world, take a good product and make it attractive to a wider audience (which doesn't always mean better).

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by emesto

A Microsoft of the gaming world, take a good product and make it attractive to a wider audience (which doesn't always mean better).

Eh, that's a great comparison.

I think they should stick to what's worked for them in the past. They brought in the RTS players (when the genre was much more popular) to the mmo world with WOW. Maybe targetting the current FPS players might not be such a bad idea. Starcraft would be ideal.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Ok i did my homework as i always do,and found out a ton of stuff i did not know,mainly because i do not have much faith in Blizzaard ,so i do not follow them much.
    First of all interesting stuff....
    Blizzard lost their main brains behind WOW to RED5 studios,who are in the news for using a highly touted game engine.
    Back before the invention of WOW,Blizzard tried and wanted to enter the console market,but did NOT have the game engine nor the skill to make it happen.They hired an outside developer Nihilistic studios.They did not like the results and canned them and looked elsewhere.They found some Swinging Ape studios,but obviously did not do the homework because Swinging Ape had to look for and hire a capable game engine engineer.The fact that they would hire ho hum developers to do work for them,shows how in capable Blizzard really is.
    Now they have received praise for being versatile and move forward in the industry quickly[i would debate that].That game was suppose to be Starcraft :Ghost and we all know that never panned out.
    I finally found out what game engine Blizzard has licensed,as i knew they had to have one....
    www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php
    This sounds like a pretty decent engine,as HL2 and Halo2 used it.
    One thing for sure it shows Blizzard does not have the in house skill,and with all their money i would think they could hire the right people.What still remains unknown is since they lost their upper echelon to RED5 Studios,do they have anyone left that is skilled in creativity ,to make a good game?They also lost their Diablo guys that went on to create a Diablo look a like and have lost many other high ranking staff,so geesh they must be really thin for skilled people.

havok engine site you linked was 4 years ago!this would match perfectly to cataclysm release date!

havok does 64 bit!mm if i read between the line this would make wow a 64 bit .i dont believe havok will be used for

their futur game.but cataclysm or starcraft .yep probably starcraft but not their upcoming new ip game since that was planned way after havok so much in fact that havoc probably wasnt a choice in 08 for their new ip . since there was way better engine by then and new ip isnt schedule for at least 3 years .4 years is about the right timetable for blizzard developement schedule.

Originally posted by ben3283

Ok i did my homework as i always do,and found out a ton of stuff i did not know,mainly because i do not have much faith in Blizzaard ,so i do not follow them much.
    Blizzard lost their main brains behind WOW to RED5 studios,who are in the news for using a highly touted game engine.
    Back before the invention of WOW,Blizzard tried and wanted to enter the console market,but did NOT have the game engine nor the skill to make it happen.They hired an outside developer Nihilistic studios.They did not like the results and canned them and looked elsewhere.They found some Swinging Ape studios,but obviously did not do the homework because Swinging Ape had to look for and hire a capable game engine engineer.The fact that they would hire ho hum developers to do work for them,shows how in capable Blizzard really is.
    Now they have received praise for being versatile and move forward in the industry quickly[i would debate that].That game was suppose to be Starcraft :Ghost and we all know that never panned out.
    I finally found out what game engine Blizzard has licensed,as i knew they had to have one....
    One thing for sure it shows Blizzard does not have the in house skill,and with all their money i would think they could hire the right people.What still remains unknown is since they lost their upper echelon to RED5 Studios,do they have anyone left that is skilled in creativity ,to make a good game?They also lost their Diablo guys that went on to create a Diablo look a like and have lost many other high ranking staff,so geesh they must be really thin for skilled people.

With the loss of all their staff, I fear this battleship will finnaly sink. Blizzard has had a good run, but the quality of WoW has really dropped in my eyes and what else have they come out with recently? 2004 wow, 2007 wow expansion, 2008 wow expansion, promise of Starcraft 2 in early 2010, and who knows when Diablo 3 will get released from its shelf of doom. Well at least the last game update from the website was 9/26/09. They can always get more people to fill those empty seats, but they will have to instil that creative culture that they have maintained for the years previous.

On topic of the discussion, officially I can agree with everyone else and say it will be a totaly new game. Build from the gound up new story, new idea, new etc. As for the rumor flying around as this new game being a FPS MMO, props to blizzard for trying something new, If im correct they have never made a FPS genre game ever. If this is true, I hope there is an option to change my POV to 3rd person.

mm the job of dev now is a lot easier since they get to redo most of the old wow .wich was a big problem for wow techologist

since they had to patch old with new ,now they can literally recode the whole thing so they wont have those issue

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by ForceQuit

If so, I would not expect Blizzard's new MMO to have this feature!

Until they see it work in another game.

ya since about the release of guildwars ,blizzard has been copying lot of feature from various game

instancing ,arena ,battleground etc etc etc.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by pencilrick

Originally posted by ForceQuit

I seem to remember reading an interview with Mark Kern about Red 5's MMO where he mentioned the key reason he decided to leave Blizzard is that he and they had totally different views on the design direction of future MMOs.  He also mentioned that one of Red 5 MMO's main features will be that time vs geography will be their main form of persistence, ie he wants the game world to change over time in very significant ways.  Just speculation, but this could one of the main features he and Blizzard had a disagreement over.  If so, I would not expect Blizzard's new MMO to have this feature!

I think "time vs geography" and the lanscape changing over time is great as long as it changes for everybody.  I really dislike "phasing" where the landscape changes only for some depending upon their stage of questing.

Will have to keep an eye out for what Red 5 is doing.

The problem with that is that not everyone will get to experience it.. Horizons / Istaria tried it and it was a massive failure. Once it was done that was it.. it could never be done again. The only way to continually change the world is to have devs come up with something else every few months for certain areas. It would be a waste of time.

Like it or not phasing is the best way to go about it especially for an MMO. It allows everyone to experience the change and know exactly why it changed.

• slovekslovek Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by ben3283

With the loss of all their staff, I fear this battleship will finnaly sink. Blizzard has had a good run, but the quality of WoW has really dropped in my eyes and what else have they come out with recently? 2004 wow, 2007 wow expansion, 2008 wow expansion, promise of Starcraft 2 in early 2010, and who knows when Diablo 3 will get released from its shelf of doom. Well at least the last game update from the website was 9/26/09. They can always get more people to fill those empty seats, but they will have to instil that creative culture that they have maintained for the years previous.

On topic of the discussion, officially I can agree with everyone else and say it will be a totaly new game. Build from the gound up new story, new idea, new etc. As for the rumor flying around as this new game being a FPS MMO, props to blizzard for trying something new, If im correct they have never made a FPS genre game ever. If this is true, I hope there is an option to change my POV to 3rd person.

That is ludicrous. Blizzard continually breaks previous sales records that they set themselves on their previous titles. There's no reason to think that there next title will not do just as well. Regardless if it is or isn't the cash cow that WoW was, it will still be successful; even if you don't purchase it.

-Monty

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710
    Originally posted by Comnitus

They're not using existing IPs, unless they decide to change their minds, so no. No Starcraft Online. No World of Starcraft. It'll probably be a classic Blizzard ripoff of another popular sci-fi IP that will be "new" and "original" because it's made by Blizzard. Star Wars, maybe? We'll get to play with Workies instead of Wookies!

i sense jaleousy of blizzards pure expertise :P

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Slimfrog

Sigh....

New Intellectual Property.
    Link : http://www.massively.com/2009/05/13/first-official-confirmation-that-new-blizzard-mmo-is-original-ip/

The funny thing is the PR bull in that nice little speech.

This is why i painted the large picture of how Blizzard operates,because they are not skillful in any way.

They talk about track record for artwork,well Wow used Warcraft artwork lol,so no working from scratch is NOT in their track record.

Also ,Blizzard is being a little misleading when talking about their track record.Ok maybe their released products have been what people enjoy,not everyone but lots,ok fine,but what they won't mention is that they have hired incompetent devs to do work for them.So they had to scrap those efforts many times before they can release it.

Why would Blizzard such a large dev hire a small incapable dev to make SC:Ghost?Because Blizzard does not have the ability or skilled people to advance past their ancient Warcraft engine.Then they turn around and hire ANOTHER dev ,who was also incapable and had to go out and hire a game engineer lol,why would Blizzard not do the homework BEFORE they hire someone to do the work for them?Answer is obvious,they are that desperate,they do not have the skilled people.

btw No that engine license did not have anything to do with Cataclysm lol, WOW is still using the same engine,they could upgrade it ,but they haven't even done that.

Also Paul Sams the CEO a year ago,claimed "A" game was already temp running on guess?The Warcraft engine lmao.This is why Blizzard was hiring 26 people to try and convert it.They at the time only hired 3 people for an unnamed project,this could very well be this secret game or something else to do with their hiring of the POPCAP games guy,maybe something along the same lines,a different market to attack.

Here is the link that gives reason to why everyone thinks it is going to be a space game..www.incgamers.com/News/20037/blizzard-hiring-for-next-gen-fantasysci-fi-mmo

Blizzard hiring someone SPECIFIC to sci fi experience is pretty much a dead giveaway.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

The WoW engine is actually pretty good. All they need is a new rendering engine to bring the graphics up to current standards and they'd be set. People tend to confuse "engine" with "graphics" and that's not necessarily the case. The underlying architecture that allows them to create expansive worlds with instanced dungeons is, as they've said previously, very versatile.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• emestoemesto Member Posts: 55

Well World of Warcrafts engine is based off the Warcraft III engine, and although that works fine for WoW they are likely to build one significantly different for the next game. They won't want to just make another MMO thats the same old thing in a different setting, they need to provide new interesting/exciting stuff to entice people and get them all hyped up and excited.

Examples of the WoW engine failing are in stuff that got patched in later on e.g. flight (its basically swimming in mid-air no gravity etc) and vehicles which the majority of people hate to use (in other games vehicles can be great fun).