Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World Record Broken $330k Virtual Item Brought

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Wow this opened my eyes to the game: www.planetcalypso.com/news/pages/2009/12/29/0646/index.xml

Picked up from IGN carrying the story today: vault.ign.com/fullstory.php

"Player pays $330,000 USD for Planet Calypso Virtual Space Station

Göteborg, Sweden - January 5, 2010 - First Planet Company, developer and publisher of the largest real cash economy MMORPG, announced today the results of the public auction of the Crystal Palace Space Station. The winning bidder acquired the property for a record-breaking $330,000.00 USD. The previous record was confirmed in the Guinness World Records book in 2008. It featured another piece of property in the Planet Calypso game bought for $100,000 USD as "The Most Expensive Virtual Object."

"This is a stunning investment opportunity, and I have complete faith I will recover what I spent relatively quickly," said Erik Novak, the winner of the Crystal Palace auction. "To say Planet Calypso has changed my life would be an understatement. I have even found the love of my life in the game, and now we live together in real life. I feel very confident about purchasing the Crystal Palace Space Station as I have already invested years of time, dedication, work, hope and love. All of those things have already paid off more than I could have ever imagined. With the new game engine, new features and almost ten years of experience Planet Calypso is one of the few safe investments in this economy."

This auction was for Crystal Palace, an extremely popular hunting destination that is in orbit around Planet Calypso. It will now be privately operated by Erik Novak, the person behind the "Buzz Erik Lightyear" avatar. This is the third major property opportunity offered on Planet Calypso. The first auction, for Treasure Island, took place in 2004 and sold for $26,500 USD. Australian gamer, David "Deathifier" Storey recouped his full investment within 12 months and has continued to make a profit. The second, and much larger, auction took place in 2005 when American gamer Jon "NEVERDIE" Jacobs bought a Virtual Space Resort for an unheard of $100,000 USD. Due to his virtual nightclub and the profits obtained from mining/hunting rights and property sales on the resort, Mr. Jacob's fortune was valued at $1.5 million USD in 2006. Operating profitably from day one the Club NEVERDIE Resort brought in over $50,000 USD in mining/hunting rights alone in its first five months.

First Planet Company is the developer and publisher of Planet Calypso, the largest real cash economy MMORPG in the world. Players have the ability to participate in a unique virtual economy where they only pay for the game when they play. Its unique real cash economy uses a virtual currency which has a fixed exchange rate with the US dollar. This allows players to deposit and withdraw real money during their adventures on Calypso. It is also the first MMORPG to use CryTek's stunning CryENGINE 2 for amazing graphics and physics.

Planet Calypso is a free download available at the game's website, www.planetcalypso.com.

About First Planet Company

First Planet Company AB is a subsidiary of the MindArk Group. First Planet Company AB develops and markets Planet Calypso, a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) based on the Entropia Platform, and is part of the Entropia Universe. Set in a distant future, the planet Calypso is home to an expanding human colony struggling with the natural and economic elements involved in establishing their new civilization.

Never heard of the game till then! Couldn't see myself making that much investment.

Comments

• DrakkhenDrakkhen Member Posts: 195

Hey Avery,

I know you and I normally don't see eye to eye ... but give this game a go!

It's like UO without the FFA, but not quite as bad as trammel.

It'll kick yer butt and spit you out if you let it, but if you plow through (Like I know you can) then you'll see just how good it can be.

• ruskearuskea Member Posts: 12

dont give it a go.. itll make u cry within an hour.. and eats ur money.. if ever intend to put any in

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

This also put the game in my radar, at least if you somehow beat the "system" (obviously it is designed in a way that is really hard to "profit") you gain real money.

• liumlium Member Posts: 138

buying CP is actualy beterr that CND, yeah whith aurli he will make quick money back gz buzz is good guy.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Totally wack.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Word.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

I have heard horror stories about this game. People would dunp huge amounts of RL currency into it and get nothing to show but broken equiptment for it.  I did not put any currency into it because of it.

When I played this game I would grind 2k sweat a day then sell it for 10 ped. With that 10 ped I would buy 100k ammo. That ammo would go into the next days swunt team and the process would start all over again. Totally unenjoyable.  I ended up turning off the sound because the ambu that we were sweating sounded like sick dogs. That sound got really annoying after awhile. 

Grats to the person who bought that item he/she must have dumped over 500k in real cash and who knows how many years of his life to get that.