Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population on the last 2 saturday

FodfodFodfod Member Posts: 53

"I can only tell you what I have seen the last two Saturday nights during what I would consider peak times (8-11 EST).

Adrios Server had 37 on Saturday before last.

Adrios Server had 31 on Saturday this Saturday. "

From the main forum : http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4318-population/

A mmorpg with less than 50 players on each server ??

Comments

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228

-wow thats bad :S

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

To anyone following anything about this game, this comes as no surprise at all.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Well, first I stick to my opinion that something some guy on the internet in some forum says doesn't have to be true. :P Not saying he is lying or has a reason to, but as said... I'm careful in how much I put trust into stuff.

And second: in case the numbers are true, there we see what game bashing can result in. Alganon might not be a great game, but it's not the worst game either. Many people play worse games out there. So it's kinda a pity that (if the info is true) the game is doing that bad mostly because of the bashing (and some other reasons).

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

they better start working on a cash shop!!

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Originally posted by maji

Well, first I stick to my opinion that something some guy on the internet in some forum says doesn't have to be true. :P Not saying he is lying or has a reason to, but as said... I'm careful in how much I put trust into stuff.
    And second: in case the numbers are true, there we see what game bashing can result in. Alganon might not be a great game, but it's not the worst game either. Many people play worse games out there. So it's kinda a pity that (if the info is true) the game is doing that bad mostly because of the bashing (and some other reasons).

Yeah, this game is doing poorly mostly because of bad word of mouth...

Riiiiiight, lol.

The initial sales are to a large degree dependant on how much the game was hyped. AoC? Horrible game on released but got sold like mad. Aion? For many people also an incredibly boring game, but as well got sold in masses. It's irrelevant for box sales on release if games are actually good or bad, only what people believe the games are like counts. In the examples of AoC and Aion it worked, and lots of people bought the games believing the're the holy grail of gaming. With Alganon (and some other computer games) it didn't work.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Whats really the death blow is that they arent even getting paid by those 60 ish ppl. I bought the game and am still in my free 60 days. Even though I have already uninstalled and canceled any future billing.

Speaking negatively about the game it just wasnt ready and didnt feel right plus we have turned a corner in online gaming, any new/small title that is going to have a chance in this very competitive market are going to have to offer something so advanced and cutting edge that it will pull ppl just by the pure power of offering something nobody else does, Alganon is old before its even new, the game, the engine, everything about it is old and tired.

Speaking positively and my sole reason for purchasing the game is that they go back to those days when GM/devs were in game and listened to players and helped players and addressed real issues. Alganon made more progess in the time its been out fixing game issues than any other game I have ever seen. There guys obviously care, and that sadly has become the exception rather than the rule.

IMO alganon is a failure, but I hope these guys can take what they learned and their passion and dedication and come back with something new and exciting we have never seen before.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by maji

The people who read (or even know about) any of the forums related to the game are such a small minority of the people who play these games that I wouldn't put that much weight in ranty posts when it comes to the popularity or sales of a game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

It's due to bad marketing. The only place they have any advertisements are on sites like this. Sites that don't appreciate the game in the least.

• phrankphrank Member Posts: 238
    Originally posted by Vexe

It's due to bad marketing. The only place they have any advertisements are on sites like this. Sites that don't appreciate the game in the least.

Interesting idea, so how about some concrete examples of what in the game is worth appreciating?? Bet you can't come up with half a dozen.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I must say the abysmally low population didn't come as a surprise to me.  I agree that most of it was due to the fact that most advertising was due to word of mouth, and the vast majority of the word of mouth was bad, but lets face it, if they are going to make a game like this that is riddles with bugs, looks like it came out 6 years ago, and above all, everyone believes is plagarism, it isn't going to last long.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Blizzard wont have to sue them for copyright violation after all, they'll go bankrupt by themself, good, good.

• Originally posted by Robokapp

my concern is that in a MMorpg (with emphasis on MM) a low population causes a lower population, which hoses ressources, which hoses development which lowers population.

I kinda feel bad for the developers. they spawned something that was born already dying and they're watching it die. It must not be very fun.
    on the other side, though, if they somehow miraculously revive this game, it'll be a lesson for all to watch how they did it. There's still stuff to be seen here i guess. Personally I'm watching it like a Roman patrician would watch a gladiator fight...hoping to see blood and tears, but who knows, something interesting might happen.
    the few players they have seem overall pleased with the game minus the bugs and population issues. now both bugs and population issues are gamebreaking, but with such a small community, radical changes can be implemented over-night without affecting too many.

I'll watch this MMO. I'm interested in its faith. while the game's of no interest to me, it's "path' through the industry seems to be entertaining. Will a miracle happen?

I am with you on this..how would this game turn out and if the "gamers don't know what they really want...they are brainwashed by companies" by David Allen comes true or not. Do we as gamers really don't know what we want ? This will be rather interesting to see how it ends.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I don't know if those numbers are accurate, but I for one was looking forward to playing Alganon. It had some features that I truly liked:

• Deity system
    • Study System
    • Guild Crafting/Questing
    • Bartle chat feature
    • Library system

But in the end as I started playing the beta I didn't like the direction that the devs took in the art, UI or the skill system. It was too familiar to WoW without half the content that I devoured in that game. Five years.........five years players have had to opportunity to play what even CCP's CEO Hilmar Pertursson himself even knows: "I just don't understand why people would do yet another fantasy game. It's mind-boggling to me. Why? Why do it? Why make a clone of World of Warcraft? World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this. It's been done. Do something else."

But even if you stick with the fantasy genre, at least try to set yourself far enough apart from the industry leader so players that you hope will migrate over will NOT become burned out on it sooner than expected simply because it's a little TOO familiar. It's a sure fire way of shooting yourself in the foot.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Right, definitely due to the marketing, not anything to do with the quality of this gem of a game.........................................................

Originally posted by Margulis

Right, definitely due to the marketing, not anything to do with the quality of this gem of a game.........................................................

Actually, how something is marketed can matter more than its actual quality.  For example, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a decent movie.  It was neither a great nor horrible movie, but in the middle.  However, it was marketed so horribly, the studio that made it filed for bankruptcy.  Something similar can be said about other video game movies, especially if they are made by Uwe Boll.  The vast majority of video game movies are so bad, movie theaters should pay you to see them, but they still make millions more than they ever deserve.  Any product can be excellent, but if it isn't marketed correctly, nobody will know how good it is.  I know that Alganon is a horrible game, and that it deserves this level of marketing.  I'm just trying to make an analogy.  Is it working?

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

Pretty much...

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

What could they have done differently with marketing to make it a success?

It's easy to say marketing is to blame, but what could they have done? Instead of mmo sites there is television adds showing non existing content? That would be a hughe investment and would have hurt way more. Is there anything else that marketing could have done?

Originally posted by TalRasha

It's easy to say marketing is to blame, but what could they have done? Instead of mmo sites there is television adds showing non existing content? That would be a hughe investment and would have hurt way more. Is there anything else that marketing could have done?

good point.  as bad as the game is, it would have been worse if they spent more money on marketing.  I'm guessing that the game was doomed from the start then.

• DarzinDarzin Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Marketing failed in a way because almost no one knew of the game to begin with. 

I think more people cared about the game when it was in Beta then they do about it post launch, which is a pretty good indicator (but a bad sign) of the direction they took the game and it's marketing.

Almighty Dollar 1, MMORPG.com members 0!
    Blog

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I don't know if those numbers are accurate, but I for one was looking forward to playing Alganon. It had some features that I truly liked:

Deity system
    Study System
    Guild Crafting/Questing
    Bartle chat feature
    Library system

But in the end as I started playing the beta I didn't like the direction that the devs took in the art, UI or the skill system. It was too familiar to WoW without half the content that I devoured in that game. Five years.........five years players have had to opportunity to play what even CCP's CEO Hilmar Pertursson himself even knows: "I just don't understand why people would do yet another fantasy game. It's mind-boggling to me. Why? Why do it? Why make a clone of World of Warcraft? World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this. It's been done. Do something else."

But even if you stick with the fantasy genre, at least try to set yourself far enough apart from the industry leader so players that you hope will migrate over will NOT become burned out on it sooner than expected simply because it's a little TOO familiar. It's a sure fire way of shooting yourself in the foot.

I think the general idea behind Alganon was to make a game that took all the good stuff from WoW and made a unique spin on it.

The problem is its not unique, good or finished enough. I think there is room for more fantasy games out there BUT they need to either be seriously different or seriously better than WoW.

WAR, Alganon, Aion and Conan have all thus far utterly failed in almost every respect to accomplish this.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• DoomReaperDoomReaper Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by TalRasha

They should have delivered a game that reeks of quality. If you aren't going to focus on marketing then make up for it with an exceptional game.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

If you want to copy WoW, you need to make a better game...................which is, let's face it, impossible for an indie developer.

New devs need to create different MMOs (not necessarily innovative), like Darkfall, Fallen Earth and EVE.

There is no point in trying to beat WoW at its own game.

I am happy that it failed

I already know.

I made an epitaph for Alganon shortly before its release, predicting its decline and eventual closing, and was banned for it.

Its sad.  They should welcome criticism.  Without it, how can they fix what people think is wrong with the game?

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by ste2000

If you want to copy WoW, you need to make a better game...................which is, let's face it, impossible for an indie developer.

New devs need to create different MMOs (not necessarily innovative), like Darkfall, Fallen Earth and EVE.

There is no point in trying to beat WoW at its own game.

I am happy that it failed

I'd say its almost impossible for ANY developer never mind and indie one.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• WintersKeepWintersKeep Member Posts: 5

I've advocated the game in the past, and will keep doing so as long as the devs keep working so hard to make the game everything it has the potential to be.  It is far from dead, but far from alive and kicking, either. I really, really hope things kick into high gear (and I mean HIGH high gear) soon.  I am enjoying it still, but that is because I kept playing it and moved beyond the obvious things I read by several people in posts like this.  Still glad I did, but still keeping a wary eye on the game for the day it suddenly jumps into the race.