Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm having fun, 10th level so far game is great

dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

I'm not sure why people are complaining SO much about this game.

I logged in, zero problems zero lag.

I created my first character, nice design window, no bugs.

I played through the first couple of levels, learning how things work.  There is not enough fluff to explain what and why you do things in the game.  But anyone that has ever played a game before can figure this one out.   Unless they are a moron.

The game looks like a cartoonier version of wow.  I didn't expect more and was pleased.  I still am, I'm enjoying it.

The level advances well and keeps my interest.  Crafting is simple and engaging and I can make things actually useful to me.

I see having several characters providing each other the stuff to make whatever i want.  The gameplay is different enough between the classes to make alternate characters fun.   Soldier is nothing like Mage, which is not like Healer.

I've met some of the people playing, they are nice so far, no jerks.  There is zero gold spam and I have yet to see "barrens chat" in the last 12 or so hours of play.

The real time training system is 2ndary to your primary stats and talents so you don't really notice it until the blue text scrolls by telling you hey you just got kewler.

It's a fun little game.  I don't see them getting 40 bucks box price and 15 bucks a month subs.  But if they keep their price to 20 bucks box and 10 bucks a month this could be a nice little game to take up some of my time.

It 's certainly as good as some of the other games I've seen out there lately.

Comments

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

It's nice that you are enjoying it. There always seems to be people who like a game no matter what the majority of other people feel about it.

However you realize that the more we as gamers accept this pay-to-beta stuff from developers, the more we are going to keep getting it, right?

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

Maybe I am not experiencing the exact same thing because we are not the exact same people....maybe?

Look like I said I'm having fun with it.  You do not like it.  We all get that.

Hope you find a game you enjoy.

• It's good that you found a game you enjoy, but why do you feel the need to say that here? This forums aren't exactly known for their love for Alganon, so this might start a flame war.

But, if you enjoy it, what exactly do you like about the game? And I don't mean that it runs well on your computer, I mean features you enjoy?

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

I like it because it has a familiar WoW style and approach, seems light enough for casual players, has a bit more mob diversity (kneebitter zombies cracked me up), gameplay is intuitive in all its aspects, and the two 'boss' mobs in the tutorial area surprised me with their toughness - died twice, had to use potions.

Granted, there are a few... well... lets admit it... quite a lot of bugs, but its an enjoyable game. I am glad I didnt gave up after the first 10 or so random and sudden disconnects from the server. Yesterday I tried the warrior, today's the mage's turn :)

P.S. if you want a challenge, try playing Ranger (the bow class). I have died in a one-to-one fight with a mob of my level, because they simply suck at melee (I wasn't using any abilities, but this was a first for me, dying in an auto-combat mode against a n00b-area mob).

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• Tork001Tork001 Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by Beermangler

P.S. if you want a challenge, try playing Ranger (the bow class). I have died in a one-to-one fight with a mob of my level, because they simply suck at melee (I wasn't using any abilities, but this was a first for me, dying in an auto-combat mode against a n00b-area mob).

My main character is a ranger and everything changes at level 11 when you get Leg Shot (which is a fantastic slow). Also rangers have Triage to heal which I love. Just know you will get at least two spell push-backs so use it at around 50% health not 20%.

Glad you are liking Alganon. If you see me in game ("Tork" on Adrios Server, Kujix Empire) say hi!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't think anyone doubts the OP is having fun,heck i am glad you are having fun..BUT ! you did say you don't know why others don't like it.

It is simple and you got it right,you don't know or understand game design at all.I actually had to try the game for myself because i thought everyone was going over board.Well i was surprised it was a little worse than i expected and that is not saying much.It is a VERY cheap game,very cheap design and you can EASILY find a F2P game that offers more with a tad better design.

This is a game that looks as if some brand new indie developer with a handful of staff designed it,and back in 1990's not 2009.

Not that i am surprised the OP likes it,i look around at other games and what people get from them and it appears people have small needs or wants from their games.

For many people they spend more time in a game than they do in their car,and show less effort in choosing the game.Your time and life is worth a heck of a lot more than anything with monetary value,you can never get your time spent back.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177

The game is interesting enough. I'm on the seven day trial right now, figured what the hell?

The UI is almost identical to WoW, in many ways. This cannot be denied, because it's simply true. Everything from the character creation UI to the default keybinds to the abilities window (which is equivalent to WoW's talent window).

Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily. There will be some who enjoy it, and some who downright hate it. I don't really care either way, as long as the UI creates a functional interface between the player and the game world.

One of the things I do like is the fact that through the proper training, you can be a tank, healer, dps no matter what class you play. I think this could be a step in the right direction, giving the player the choice to be the class they want, while performing whatever role they wish. Options, IMO, are a great thing to have.

Something I dislike is there are only two races to choose from. I am sure there will be more races in the future, but for now it is simply too limited. This is not game breaking, but it is certainly less impressive.

I might play this game until GW2 comes out. We'll see how the next five days of the trial go.

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Glad you've been enjoying it.  I've been having a bit of fun myself.  I wouldn't go so far to say there are zero problems, as I experience disconnects and have run into some unfinished quests.   But I've been seeing progress since I've been playing so hopefully those issues will be resolved in the near future.

So it's keeping me entertained for the time being.

• OnsabooOnsaboo Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by dsebutchr

I logged in, zero problems zero lag.

Find it hard to take you serious after saying that

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by reijan

It's good that you found a game you enjoy, but why do you feel the need to say that here? This forums aren't exactly known for their love for Alganon, so this might start a flame war.
    But, if you enjoy it, what exactly do you like about the game? And I don't mean that it runs well on your computer, I mean features you enjoy?

cause this is the Alganon forum maybe? or are forums only there for ppl to crap on the games they dont like/play? lol

• DethnobleDethnoble Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Soldier nothing like a mage? Really? Seriously? Wow I would have never guessed. And to say you are having zero problems goes against what even the people who love the game say so gonna take their word that there is still problems present. There is no gold spam because the population is so low that the companies would lose money wasting time to sell it and thats just good business. Glad you are having fun but your account is completely different from those who play and love the game according to the official forums.

I remember when I first played Alganon, with my cousin, in closed beta and the game was laggy and the UI was laggy.  It felt like a complete and utter mess.  However, we both had GeForce FX 7300 cards and we also both ordered new GeForce 9400 cards at this time.  It was like two completely, different games, it was that miracle patch that never happens on an MMO's release day.  However, it did crash sometimes and the character creation screens were still kinda slow, the loading took a bit as well, but IMHO (during closed beta) it felt no worse than Vanguard at **launch** or even a month and a half after.

My cousin and I, who are generally really picky about MMOs, actually found that Alganon had a good measure of enjoyment.  We both agreed it was very much like WoW, but it also had it's own elements here and there that made it feel different enough that it was fresh.  However, we also agreed that the initial pricing of $40 and $15 a month sub was way to high.

Now, I agree that the game isn't unique overall and it is fundamentally a WoW clone.  Anyone who says it isn't based a ton off of WoW probably never even played WoW, or simply are to stubborn to admit that.  But no one gives QOL or David Allen credit for recognizing the game wasn't on par with WoW's price tag, cutting the price in half to $20 and the sub down by $5.  Instead, they march on with other flames.

I'm buying the game once I have a little more free time here in a few weeks because at $20 and then only $10 a month after your first month, it's well worth the price and this is coming from someone who hasn't played since early open beta.  I can only imagine, at this point, how much patches have improved areas that may have been buggy or some of the crashes.

splat

• Originally posted by misterdurp

It's good that you found a game you enjoy, but why do you feel the need to say that here? This forums aren't exactly known for their love for Alganon, so this might start a flame war.

cause this is the Alganon forum maybe? or are forums only there for ppl to crap on the games they dont like/play? lol

Before you decide to make fun of someone, read on. I clearly stated why: This thread might start another flame war. This isn't the Alganon forum, just a discussion forum on mmorpg.com about Alganon. Many on mmorpg.com do not like Alganon because of it's total lack of innovation. Me included. Yes, there seem to be more now who enjoy it. But all I hear it "I can't believe I'm playing this, yes, it's buggy, like Wow and so on...". Then I ask myself the question: Why should new players try it out? At the moment, Alganon's best feature is the good community and the feeling to be part of something. BUT that is not the game itself, that is not a game mechanic that is special or makes Alganon different. When and only when Alganon grows and becomes something more than what it is at the moment, it will attract more players. Or can you deny that? Do you think Alganon is fine the way it is? And please, before you answer me next time, read my whole post and don't pick out the part that is convenient :).
  • DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please try to avoid personal arguements and stay on topic.

• tarkin1980tarkin1980 Member Posts: 229

I wouldn't go as far as saying the game is great, but I haven't had any problems with lag, rubberbanding, crashes, bugs or anything. Started my trial today and have been playing for 5-6 hours and it's been running smoothly so far. I like the graphics except player characters which look pretty bad, kinda like LotRO characters.

I dunno why people have to bash this game so badly. Sure, it's not fantastic and it offers nothing new whatsoever, but it's still on par with most P2P games currently out there (because most are not very good anyway, I know). It's not a complete disaster like Darkfall. I could see myself paying to try this for a month if the game wasn't a ghost town.

• tehrikardtehrikard Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by tarkin1980

I wouldn't go as far as saying the game is great, but I haven't had any problems with lag, rubberbanding, crashes, bugs or anything. Started my trial today and have been playing for 5-6 hours and it's been running smoothly so far. I like the graphics except player characters which look pretty bad, kinda like LotRO characters.
    I dunno why people have to bash this game so badly. Sure, it's not fantastic and it offers nothing new whatsoever, but it's still on par with most P2P games currently out there (because most are not very good anyway, I know). It's not a complete disaster like Darkfall. I could see myself paying to try this for a month if the game wasn't a ghost town.

Why the random hatred for Darkfall, which was announced regularly has 10k + people logged onto one server?

That certainly doesn't sound like a complete disaster to me. Bad launch != bad game.

I just can't see a single redeeming feature in Darkfall, but that's off topic.

• DarzinDarzin Member Posts: 46

Okay, so what is the redeeming value in a game that you already said brings nothing new whatsoever to the genre?

Almighty Dollar 1, MMORPG.com members 0!
    Blog

• EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by misterdurp

Yes, Mister Durp, that's pretty much the case on this website . . . that's why I only use it to keep updated on new mmo's in development, grab the beta keys this site routinely offers, keep aware of new mmo release dates so I can take days off work at taxpayer expense and just to giggle at flame threads.

New visitors to this site are advised to take all opinions expressed here with a bucket of salt (though the opinions are presented as fact often enough).

• s1th80s1th80 Member Posts: 10

So far the game is fun to play. And with just 9,95$ to pay pretty cheap too. This might be a small developer but these days the big houses screw up bigtime (AoC/Warhammer). If this game goes down at least i have had a fun game to play for the time being 8)

• HadesprimeHadesprime Member Posts: 303

I do  not see the game lasting another 6 months.

It simply is too buggy and the developers seem unable to address critical problems still present from beta. It has some interesting ideas but absolutely the worst implementation I have ever seen.

AOC, War and Darkfall are better games by leaps and bounds. We all know how those games turned out.

Originally posted by Darzin

Okay, so what is the redeeming value in a game that you already said brings nothing new whatsoever to the genre?

I suppose Alganon's redeeming feature is that it's not really a BAD game (which doesn't mean its a good game either), like Darkfall is.

Alganon is a very (extremely) average game. I played it to lvl 20 or so, and really really REALLY can't see how lvl 1-20 in Alganon is any worse than lvl 1-20 in WoW. They're pretty much exactly the same, except that WoW looks worse graphically.

If Alganon's problem is that it's a copy of WoW, has dated graphics and gameplay, is unimaginative and stereotyphical etc etc, then it should appeal to millions of people out there. They do, after all, like WoW.

Feels like I'm trying to defend Alganon here. I'm not. I played the trial and it kept me busy for a while and I liked some of the environments, but I didn't buy it. I'm just sick of hearing everyone bitching about games not bringing anything new to the genre. IMHO, bringing something new to the genre isn't a priority. It's not even a requirement for me to catch interest in a game. I would love to play a generic fantasy MMO, if it was a well made one. In fact, I would prefer that to any of these wacky experiments we've seen over the years.

• I don't think alganon comes close to wow lvl 1-20, they have 4 classes, no races, bg, professions and the content list goes on. But fair enough post though. 

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

Is he still at level 10?

A follow up at level 20 would be nice.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• DoomReaperDoomReaper Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by Mellow44
    Is he still at level 10?

Like the small number of us who opted to play Alganon from the launch, the author of this topic has probably decided to call it quits. Maybe he or she will return when the game goes free to play very soon and we'll receive an evaluation of a slightly more advanced stage of gameplay. Then again when it goes free to play (an imminent move by the developers, QoL) everyone will be able to judge for themselves without the restrictions of the trial server to impede their perception.

Quick edit to include the link to the info where we found out about the free to play option:
    http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4553

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by DoomReaper

Originally posted by Mellow44

Is he still at level 10?

Like the small number of us who opted to play Alganon from the launch, the author of this topic has probably decided to call it quits. Maybe he or she will return when the game goes free to play very soon and we'll receive an evaluation of a slightly more advanced stage of gameplay. Then again when it goes free to play (an imminent move by the developers, QoL) everyone will be able to judge for themselves without the restrictions of the trial server to impede their perception.

Quick edit to include the link to the info where we found out about the free to play option:

http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4553

Is this game even worth playing as F2P, let a lone a P2P?

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online