Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something that will run like butter

gingus418gingus418 Member Posts: 128

I'm looking for a game that will run smoothly on my computer with decent graphics.

Here's my computer, a 17" MBP with boot camp and vista (32bit) installed:

Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 Ghz Processor

2Gb Ram

NVIDIA 8600GT M - 256mb of dedicated memory

I know for a fact that WoW runs wonderfully, although not looking to play it right now. I also know that EVE works on mac, although I'm burned out from that game at the moment. I've tried EQII although I'm not a fan of how linear the game is combined with all of the loading screens... is there anything out there? Tried Fallen Earth, and while it should run well on my comp it doesn't. AoC and Darkfall don't run so hot either. I'm tempted to try out LotRO. Any other games you guys could think of?

Comments

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

You might have some problems running LOTRO very well but might be ok with some lowered settings. My grandsons play Aion on a PC without a lot of horsepower if that game interests you.

• gingus418gingus418 Member Posts: 128

Tried out Aion. For some reason, it doesn't run well on my computer. I don't know why, but it just doesn't. 

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by gingus418

Tried out Aion. For some reason, it doesn't run well on my computer. I don't know why, but it just doesn't. 

Because you're PC isn't quite powerful enough to handle that game on setting that look great, LOTRO is an iffy as well, but you can try it free.  If you want to play games like LOTRO, Aion, AoC, STO and the new ones like FFXIV and SW:TOR coming out in the next yr or so, I'd highly advise you upgrade your PC.

Otherwise you'll have to stick with games that use a lower end art style like WAR, WoW and DFO.  You'll just have to try various ones and play what your PC can handle.

both DFO and WAR run like crap on my computer. Really, of the games you mentioned WoW is the only one that is consistently above 50 FPS. Would improving my RAM help much? I'm on a laptop so I'm not going to be able to replace my GPU anytime soon unless I buy a whole new computer, which right now is not something I'm wiling to do. 

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

both DFO and WAR run like crap on my computer. Really, of the games you mentioned WoW is the only one that is consistently above 50 FPS. Would improving my RAM help much? I'm on a laptop so I'm not going to be able to replace my GPU anytime soon unless I buy a whole new computer, which right now is not something I'm wiling to do. 

Ah a laptop, and with those specs explains it all.  Unless you spent a hefty amount on a gaming laptop they are not very good, especially with running MMOs.  Unfortunately you're stuck with WoW and equivalent styles...oh and there are like a bazillion F2P titles you can run just fine.  When/if you decide to upgrade, do get a desktop if you have the life that can support one...much better for gaming, and a lot cheaper when building a gaming rig.

Like I said though, all the the newest MMOs and I guess better than WoW your PC won't be able to handle.  Well you can play FFXIV on the PS3...and that gets released this fall...hehe

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

average joe can run it at medium.not many can max graphic card and play at max in aion at say 1680x1050

let alone full hd.but then one advantage of 1920x 1280 or whaever the full hd res is is the fact you can run it at 25 hz

with the proper screen.i ll trade my 2 screed for a full hd just for this simple reason higher then 1680 x 1050

you need that hd low 25 hertz capability it lower pressure on everything .graphic card computer etc

but so far i havent found an hd computer screen so i might have to buy an full hd resolution flat screen instead if i can find one that support amd system

since some make sure some4 screen hd arent compatible to x,y,z computer.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

I had the exact comp you have before it died. I can tell you that if you were running XP (or WIn 7), like you should be in BootCamp and turn shadows off in Darkfall, it would run smooth as butter.

See, you're not going to find much that plays well. You essentially have a little under a gig of memory. Why? You're running BootCamp, and more so, you're running Vista. Vista takes a gig of memory to run the system. You screwed yourself over there.

Originally posted by johnmatthais

I had the exact comp you have before it died. I can tell you that if you were running XP (or WIn 7), like you should be in BootCamp and turn shadows off in Darkfall, it would run smooth as butter.
    See, you're not going to find much that plays well. You essentially have a little under a gig of memory. Why? You're running BootCamp, and more so, you're running Vista. Vista takes a gig of memory to run the system. You screwed yourself over there.

You sure you're not referring to Parallels? From what I understand, bootcamp is the program that allows you to install windows on a mac and create a partition. Is it also running simultaneously with the OS? 

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

even if you had 16 gig of ram since most game arent 64 bit ,they only use 2 gig 3 if you got some feature on (game maker has to activate them tho,if you do at your end often its not supported

hell just try using flash one of the most popular piece of software on the net

opten exploere 64 and try using flash ,the thing is you cant .companys dont know how to desing 64 bit

microsoft is talking about 128 bit ,hell we re not even at 10% 64 bit lol.and if you remove microsoft.

its about 3 %

i dont know a single game that is 100% 64 bit ,on average its a moc version that isnt full 64 bit.you end up with issue since some 32 bits program are running in compatibility mode while some other are in 64 bit lol .talk about asking for trouble lol.

Well, I think I'm gonna try out lotro for a bit. It seems that my computer specs are more than enough to run the game. 

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

*EDIT* NEVERMIND, your on a lappy.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

One game I haven't seen recommended: City of Heroes/Villains.  Not only is it old enough, it has a Mac client as well.

I've tried it before. I found that while it was enjoyable in short bursts, I felt that the game play got quite repetitive. 

Originally posted by johnmatthais

You sure you're not referring to Parallels? From what I understand, bootcamp is the program that allows you to install windows on a mac and create a partition. Is it also running simultaneously with the OS? 

No, I am talking about BotCamp. BootCamp does allow you to run Windows indepently, BUT, the drive (partition) is still completely virtual and as a VM of its own, it does still have its problems.

Also, like I said, 2 GB is not enough to run games on Vista. You need to adjust it. Vista takes 1 GB of memory on its own. Look for games that only require 1 GB of memory or upgrade to Win 7 (which has smaller system files too) or downgrade to XP.

I actually just installed my RC copy of windows 7 today. Hoping that STO will run a little better than it did yesterday. Hopefully this is the case. 

I actually just installed my RC copy of windows 7 today. Hoping that STO will run a little better than it did yesterday. Hopefully this is the case. 

If it's not...well then, it might be your computer is experiencing slowdown and bogged down by extraneous files and spyware. Happens to everyone at some point. =D