Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple Games, one world.

robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661

Just a thought on the MMO Market.

Instead of putting out one game, and focusing your world around that one concept. Put out many games (not necessarily all at the same time) that interact with each other, that each offer a completely different game.

If a person owns more than one game belonging to the world, characters could cross over, but the focus would remain on the core gameplay of each specificgame.

I'll use the GTA series as sort of a back drop for this example.

GTA provides a living breathing world, so to speak. It focuses on one aspect, that of the criminal. In creating the MMO world, for GTA we start with just that concept. Other games in the world may follow completely different rulesets, but all intereact to create a living breathing world.

Game one is GTA Online: Criminals. This game recreates the GTA series, and includes Liberty City, San Andreas, and Vice city. Players take the role of thugs, and play similar to the normal game.

Later on down the line, Rockstar releases the new game in the world: GTA: Godfather. This is a strategy game, where players take the role of various lieutenants in the criminal organizations. As players progress they compete for fewer and fewer slots up the food chain, making alliances, and controling various portions of the cities criminal underpinnings.

Next comes another game tied to the world: Rockstar's Flight Simulator. In this game players play a flight simulator game similar to microsoft, but it is tied to the GTA universe. Playes from the other games are able to travel from one city to another in planes now piloted by other players.

GTA: Medical. Similar to Nintendo's Trauma center games. Players end up fixing all the other players who die.

GTA: Boys in Blue: More of an expansion to the criminals game, allows players to play as cops.

GTA: DJ. Players create and run thier own radio stations. Using an online licensed database of music, players create playlists, make talk programs etc. Players in the other games can tune in and listen to the other players stations.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Comments

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Brilliant. Brilliant.

I thought of something like this a month ago but could never conceptualize like you did. Bravo.

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

CCP is doing this with EvE and  Dust 514.

• robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'm not exactly familiar with Dust, how is it going to tie into EVE?  

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by robert4818

I'm not exactly familiar with Dust, how is it going to tie into EVE?  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_514

Basically, DUST 514 will be a console shooter, where people in Eve pay for their services to assault planets for control. Or atleast, thats what I gather.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Are you talking something like CCP is doing or something like Blue Mars? I'm a bit lost.

I'm thinking of something close to what CCP is doing with Dust 514, but the games would be a bit more interconnected.

Blue Mars seems to me to almost be an MMO Engine more than a game.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

Wow, great idea! The thing I like about it is that players in sub-game A can focus on their thing and have fun with it without having to feel rivalry towards players from sub-game B, who in turn focus on doing their thing. But they still rely on eachother in different ways... very interesting.

I can't imagine how much a project like this would cost though...

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

I'm thinking of something close to what CCP is doing with Dust 514, but the games would be a bit more interconnected.

What about what Entropia Universe is doing as a whole with all the interconnected Planets?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

What about what Entropia Universe is doing as a whole with all the interconnected Planets?

We still don't know how it would work though since we've only had one planet since release and the second and third have been in development forever now.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Originally posted by johnmatthais

We still don't know how it would work though since we've only had one planet since release and the second and third have been in development forever now.

This is true. However, it could prove fruitful. Not to mention, without paying, it's one of the most "hardcore" MMOs out there. ;)

• StevieHmselfStevieHmself Member Posts: 134

is this second life?

Playing EVE
    Played Darkfall, Played Wow,

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

This could work, but the either the MMO itself or the games surround it (depending on which came first), would have to be fairly popular to warrent the costs of creating other games based in the same universe as the original title.  There's no reason to fork over tons of cash to develop additional games to expand said universe when the original game never even sold well.

That is why you'd probably want to release the "Core" game first, with the others secondary.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'm for the opposite:

Instead of putting out many games that interact with each other, put out one game that interacts with many games. Have a meta-MMORPG, where you'r characters class and talent trees depend are defined by other games you play. IE you play TF2 then your char gets access to modern weapons. GTA for cars, WoW for spells, Eve for futuristic technology, FE for crafting skills, Hello Kitty Online for vanity pets and so on. You just have to balance it in that way, that a character that consists to 100% of tf2 is roughly as powerful as one that consists to 10% of ten different games. The latter one beeing a hybrid then.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Originally posted by maji

I'm for the opposite:

Instead of putting out many games that interact with each other, put out one game that interacts with many games. Have a meta-MMORPG, where you'r characters class and talent trees depend are defined by other games you play. IE you play TF2 then your char gets access to modern weapons. GTA for cars, WoW for spells, Eve for futuristic technology, FE for crafting skills, Hello Kitty Online for vanity pets and so on. You just have to balance it in that way, that a character that consists to 100% of tf2 is roughly as powerful as one that consists to 10% of ten different games. The latter one beeing a hybrid then.

That's not really an interaction, so much as a hard drive reader.  Its a more complicated version of what Konami did in Metal Gear Solid 1 with Psycho Mantis fight where it read your memory card.

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

I'd be surprised if we didn't see some thing like this in the future.

It would be interesting to see.  

• karbonistakarbonista Member UncommonPosts: 78

I've been thinking along similar lines for a year or so.  Since a lot of themepark MMOs use the same basic structure (levels, skill points of some kind, hotkeying of skills and actions, a chat system, a guild/faction system...  why keep reinventing all that every time someone is building a new MMO?

What I'd like to see:

Someone who does engines and netcode very very well  (like Blizzard - love or hate WoW, it has all the components pretty well nailed down) builds an extensible environment with a deep set of statistic-based rules for resolving conflicts.  These conflicts could be combat, crafting, card game (a la Vanguard's diplomacy game, etc).

They develop a set of standards for how stats grow and how items are generated.

They develop a few "starter" worlds -- a high fantasy with western-style art, a "chiba" anime world, a space adventure.  They release an API toolkit to the general public.  Modders and professional development companies develop story-driven worlds.  Professional dev companies sell access keys to their worlds.

Players level up within the worlds, but keep their progress at the global level.  When entering a new world, players have the option of spawning a new character (with some item or perk bonuses commensurate with their character level) or of spawning a character of any level up to their max level.  So if I have a level 30 "button man" in gangster world and you have a level 25 paladin in Elves Must Die world, we can both spawn new lvl 25 characters in that hot new Space Cowboys world.  Experience we earn in Space Cowboys gets added to our global level.

I know it's a tall order, and the hardest part about it would be creating and enforcing a consistent , fair and balanced leveling system.  Fan-made content might too easily be made "monty haul", which would ruin it unless some measures were taken to prevent it.

But with a well-thought-out basic rule system, you could be role playing Legolas in one game , Wild Bill Hickock in another and Daniel Negreanu in a third, all building status of your account, and be member of a guild that spans multiple worlds.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

http://www.sjgames.com/GURPS/

Generic Universal Roleplay System

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

Originally posted by uquipu

Might have been relevant if it was an online system and not a system for making pen/paper or single-player games.

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

This doesn't read all that innovating at all and far more limiting than what MMO's do now.

You have a game.  You play that game yet you interact with others playing different games that you can't play at.

Most every MMO has where you can select careers along paths that let you do what others do and you interact with them but do NOT do what they may choose to do -- crafting vs adventuring vs PvP...

For instance a crafter making things that needs materials from adventurers -- most crafters get seriously ticked off at having to depend on others yet this is seems to be a portion of what you propose -- not to mention limiting a crafter to just crafting and an adventure type to just that type of adventuring?

You have games like SWG where you can be a space pilot, using a FPS style of interface for combat that can land and chat with others, buy and sell, etc...  yet never needs to participate in anything with ground combat but...  They always have the OPTION of joining up with those adventurers for ground action.  OR they could be a trade type, buying and selling items, etc...  OR an entertainer that rarely leaves clubs and makes their income selling "buffs" to others, etc... Yet at no point are they blocked from those other styles of play.

In other words there are games out there that offer the degree of separation you speak of WITHOUT the limit of "you can only play this one part of the game".

Seriously...  I don't see where this would be a 'cool' thing at all -- "how come they can but I can't?" would be the screams I'd see from such a model more than happy folks depending on each other across various games.

Originally posted by karbonista

Might have been relevant if it was an online system and not a system for making pen/paper or single-player games.

It's a multiplayer game.

It's a multiplayer game.

I know what it is.  Multiplayer pen & paper games and the occasional attempt at single-player computer games.  The OP is talking about a system for having an MMORPG with persistent characters across multiple different RPG settings.  I don't see how GURPS is relevant to that --- unless there's a project I'm unaware of to turn GURPs into an extensible online world the likes of what OP and I have been describing.

It's a multiplayer game.

I know what it is.  Multiplayer pen & paper games and the occasional attempt at single-player computer games.  The OP is talking about a system for having an MMORPG with persistent characters across multiple different RPG settings.  I don't see how GURPS is relevant to that --- unless there's a project I'm unaware of to turn GURPs into an extensible online world the likes of what OP and I have been describing.

Hmmm.  GURPS would be the multiple different RPG settings.  The combat system.  The content.  All you would need is a UI and some hardware.

The cool thing about GURPS is that you could take your fantasy knight and put him in a star trek like universe or a western.   You learned one game and it was good for any genre.

Maybe you put more value on hardware and software than I do.

• luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

So basically a mature version of Free realms