Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV or bust for 2010 ?

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It looks like it will be FFXIV or bust , well we do have WoW:Cataclysm this year but even with a new expansion WoW is way past its prime. Everyone else is taking the high road to 2011 because they are all paranoid that their game will not be polished enough. I guess that might be a good thing but I suppose if they were actually prepared we would have game sooner than later.

So far we have STO,Global Agenda, maybe Earthrise,DCUO,Mortal Online and possibly The Agency. I can't see any of these being that good and I think we will yet another slow and dull 2010 for mmos if FFXIV doesn't live up to what the fans want. It looks like another year where quantity outrules quality in the mmo genre yet again. Then again, there is always 2011 right ?

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I have all the faith the SE can make a second jewel in FFXIV, But lets not be unrealistic It wont be a content rich powerhouse right from launch. It will need time to grow.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SlimfrogSlimfrog Member Posts: 77

Only one ill be watching is FFXIV. Other than that SWTOR and GW2 for 2011. Doesnt bother me all that much really, im to the point where Im happy not playing and saving money than paying for something that isnt worth my money.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

I'm having surprising fun in the STO open beta.

When I can get onto the server, that is.

It's all shiny and new at the moment, and I'm well aware that I'd have to have the foresight of a concussed gerbil to expect that feeling to last .. but in the short term, it's fun and, (given that I do have the attention span of a concussed gerbil) .. that's good enough for me. For now.

The ground combat plays like Champions Online; the space combat is surprisingly quite complex and EVE like. I haven't delved too far into the character advancement and stuff, but its skill trees remind me a bit of SWG. Lots of choice there. Also, tribbles.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I'm only watching FFXIV, and if that fails I don't have interest in much else in the coming years, so I'll prolly get up outa my PC chair and quit MMOs for a few years.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

It's all shiny and new at the moment, and I'm well aware that I'd have to have the foresight of a concussed gerbil to expect that feeling to last .. but in the short term, it's fun and, (given that I do have the attention span of a concussed gerbil) .. that's good enough for me. For now.
    The ground combat plays like Champions Online; the space combat is surprisingly quite complex and EVE like. I haven't delved too far into the character advancement and stuff, but its skill trees remind me a bit of SWG. Lots of choice there. Also, tribbles.

STO kind of caught my eye, but the slew of negative posts just throws up red flag after red flag. I know you cant believe everything you read. But there is some truth behind most posts. I really dont want to give my money away to another money grub attempt while waiting for ffxiv.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Also, tribbles.

Estas Tribbles es muy mysterioso!

www.youtube.com/watch

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• TrandTrand Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by toddze

STO kind of caught my eye, but the slew of negative posts just throws up red flag after red flag. I know you cant believe everything you read. But there is some truth behind most posts. I really dont want to give my money away to another money grub attempt while waiting for ffxiv.

While I am not a fan of STO and would be hard pressed to reccomend it, it's an open beta give it a shot maybe you will like it.

DOAC is still the MMO I judge other games by, My first and still my favorite.

• SerulithSerulith Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Khrymson

I'm only watching FFXIV, and if that fails I don't have interest in much else in the coming years, so I'll prolly get up outa my PC chair and quit MMOs for a few years.

QFT!

If FFXIV ends up been a failure (which i highly doubt) then my time in the MMO world is over.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by toddze

I know what you mean and I felt the same way (ESPECIALLY after playing Champions Online).  But I've been really pleasantly surprised.  It's fun and doesn't have the feel of a money-grab mmorpg.  Now's really the time to try it out because you can for 99 cents at Target.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

I am definitely excited for FFXIV, I just hope there are certain things that are different from FFXI..

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

FFXI was great for several reasons but there was one BIG turn off, User Interface.

If FFXIV will have the same PlayStation-Friendly GUI then I don't think I can cope with that. We're all used to the standard gaming/MMORPG control (WASD and Mouse). Other than that, once the game is out it should be a success if it follows its predecessor's qualities.

However, if they attempt to follow the "standard" of current MMORPG it will be another failure (Quest Driven, Soloable till Max..etc).

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

As much as I say that FFXIV is my biggest MMORPG wish for 2010, I'll most likely try out all the other games like with every other year.

There are a lot of promising titles coming out for consoles this year, which can make good back-up plans.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by ghostinfinit

Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by SaintViktor

It looks like it will be FFXIV or bust , well we do have WoW:Cataclysm this year but even with a new expansion WoW is way past its prime. Everyone else is taking the high road to 2011 because they are all paranoid that their game will not be polished enough. I guess that might be a good thing but I suppose if they were actually prepared we would have game sooner than later.

So far we have STO,Global Agenda, maybe Earthrise,DCUO,Mortal Online and possibly The Agency. I can't see any of these being that good and I think we will yet another slow and dull 2010 for mmos if FFXIV doesn't live up to what the fans want. It looks like another year where quantity outrules quality in the mmo genre yet again. Then again, there is always 2011 right ?

CATA will obliterate FFXIV in sales and subs, so it certainly will be bust from another would be King. How many scalps are now hanging on Mike's gridle anyway?

WOW2 resets the world in Azeroth and the market is not even penetrated decently.

The movie in 2011 will do the rest for the rest of the world. Happy hyping against that one...

The 200 logged in members of "mmorpg.com" shouldn't cry though.

Your empty spots will be filled.

It's ridiculously funny how you're trying to pass off your speculations as facts.  FFXI is a niche game and has always been a steady title.  Nobody is calling FFXIV the term mmo noobs such as yourself like to throw around "WoW killer"  It will, however, more than likely draw in its faithful and put up solid subscription numbers.

Who knows, maybe some people will like to play a title that you actually have to earn things in and experience the content.  Then again, some people will still be happy with running heroics for a couple of weeks on a noob 80, buying all the crafted WotLK epics and bragging about their 5500 gearscore.

Agreed, we know that FFXIV isn't going to put up omgwtfhuge, but we also know that SE is capable of releasing a game that is entertaining, challenging, and polished.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

The important thing is to not get overhyped over any game, no matter what. If your expectations are low, you won't be disappointed as easily.

Gotta say that SE has been doing well at that at least. You guys probably want as much information from the game as I do, but the reality is that that's what gets us all overhyped and that can't be a good thing, as we can see from other MMO releases in recent years.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Well we have STO, Morlal Online, Earthrise amd maybe The Agency. Would anyone actually call these AAA mmos ? Perhaps playing smaller populated games ala niche mmos are the way to go this year.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Not really, although they seem to take a different approach instead of copying the old and I find that to be a really positive thing. I think that 2010 will be the year of change, although the games themselves for the most part don't show much sign to be optimistic about.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I'm enjoying a couple of mmo's atm but will be giving most of the new releases at least a go at some point. I will however stop for FF, I must say I have faith in SE to make a good game, it may in the end not be for my tastes but it will none the less be a good game, only time will tell.

Failing that there's always Infinity for 2012.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

For me its FF14 or TERA for 2010.  I preodered Mortal Online a couple months ago but am regretting doing so.