Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be Seriously Concerned.

RPGPorksterRPGPorkster Member Posts: 77

Grave concerns over Limitless Horizons upcoming online game ‘Mourning’, has caused me to make this post. I feel the game wont deliver as expected, from details noted from their web page. I have listed some points of concern so as to save customer their money in pre orderes.

* Screen shots and movies indicate a lack of model interaction. This may be showing the game completion level.

* 3D scenes are limited in the amount of polygons and are basic in structure. One example http://www.realmsofkrel.com/screenshots/55.jpg. Examine the one dimension of walls.   Screen shots maybe mock ups.

* Much reuse of textures and map areas.

* English translation is poor on the game’s web page.

* Community Staff maybe immature or non professional. As an example, some show an affinity with gangster style culture.

It should be noted that many MMORPG games have come and gone before release and it isn’t easy for a team to finish a product. If Mourning’s developers are by any means struggling to get the game to a playable level then they need put trust in the roleplaying community and inform them so. Currently the resources and information coming out of Limitless Horizons is anything but acceptable.

I suggest buy with caution or not at all. If Limitless Horizons can’t comment to players concerns then hold out. If they are forth coming then we should get behind them and assist in the game becoming a reality.

If Limitless Horizons wishes, I can beta review the game so as to inform people to the quality of the game.

Comments

• MorriganMorrigan Member Posts: 242

And what are your expectations?

You point out what you think isn't there, but not what your expectations are that you feel is shorted.

As for communication. Considering english is not their first language, I think I can over look that. You are aware that is the case? Especially if all aspects of this game (to include information) are done in Romania as well.

As for Beta, you have every opportunity to get in the beta, by following their guidelines on their forums :) the same as any one else.

I will agree with limited information but in light of recent Open Beta posts here, truthfully I do not blame any MMORPG maker for not doing one. (Already another post on that topic in its own right)

One player's great game is another players derisive snort!
    http://www.darthmyr.com for free guild forums

• RPGPorksterRPGPorkster Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Morrigan

As for communication. Considering english is not their first language,

Yes aware of that.   I guess that also shows in others games too, like the French game, Dark and Light.

I created a link on Mourning's forums to shake up some positive opinions of the game, but currently no reply.

http://www.realmsoftorment.net/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=16972

I fear this game may trap people into spending money on a project that is far from finished or even set up to deceive people out of their money.  Lets see if the company can produce proof that the game is a valid product before they start pushing for forward orders and going gold.

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

The credit card wont be billed before the gmae ships. So much for trapping people into paying early.

::::33::

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Here is a link on the official forums where the developers address some of the concerns that you seem to have

http://www.realmsoftorment.net/forums/showthread.php3?s=1298e3e15b893ac31762a094d14bdb4e&postid=165730#post165730

I miss DAoC

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

Porkster - i don't know why the other posters in this topic are giving you a proper hearing - maybe they were well brought up!

I on the other hand can only say you are a damn troll with evil intentions. What you say is ridiculous as anyone who has actually been to the Mourning forums and checked out the game will know.

If you had one brain cell, you'd obviously know that pre-orders are not billed until the game ships. Otherwise the (US) publishers of this title woud be sued and jailed for fraud (in the US!!). And so what if the devs english isn't 100%? Maybe you're just a racist mmorpg player with something against foreign devs.image

• OwynOwyn Member Posts: 337

And even if they DID bill the game and not deliver what you wanted, you call your credit card company and reverse the charges.

There's a rather famous incident where the entire guild of Combine reversed the charges on their credit cards for the purchase of Shadowbane AFTER trying it for the trial month. Yes, it worked, yes they all got their money back, because they made a valid case that Shadowbane had not delivered the experienced they had advertised.

Owyn
    Commander, Defenders of Order
    http://www.defendersoforder.com

It should be noted that the Mourning team has addressed some of the concerns.

Also of note is http://www.realmsoftorment.net/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=16993

and responded by the dev team of Mourning

http://www.realmsoftorment.net/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=16993

One of the points made in the original post was of the example screen shot stated in ;

"* 3D scenes are limited in the amount of polygons and are basic in structure. One example http://www.realmsofkrel.com/screenshots/55.jpg. Examine the one dimension of walls. Screen shots maybe mock ups."

Well it seems that the screen shot was taken down. As you know most games use one dimensional walls, but not where gamers experience the other side or when game objects are to portray a solid world item.

Here is the mmorpg.com version http://www.mmorpg.com/images/screenshots/052004/1559.jpg

Another questionable example is these pictures ;

http://www.mmorpg.com/images/screenshots/092004/2115.jpg

Now examine this picture, noting the scale of the palm tree, the cleopatric needle, and what could be imagined the size of an in-game character, place on the stairs.

http://www.mmorpg.com/images/screenshots/092004/2114.jpg

Can you see something wrong?

A mmorpg requires design that allows players to move freely. It is clear that the screen shot is a mock or pre use screen as player characters would be required to jump each step. If it is meant to be, then the game may be of poor quality or merely a giants region in the game.

What do you think?

Well...I think you are a total idiot.

If you want conspiracy theories - how about this. You have been hired by another mmorpg company to ruin any chance that Mourning may have to break the cookie-cutter mould that other mmorpgs follow.

Seriously please stop posting this rubbish - i would much rather participate in a vaguely interesting discussion about mmorpgs (including Mourning) than have to answer your ridiculous posts.

Originally posted by RPGPorkster

What do you think?

I think those are some darned impressive screenshots. I am just keeping a close eye on the game and have not pre ordered...yet. Sounds way too good and I'll be darned if I will set mysrlf up for another dissapintment. However if half the stuff I have heard about the game is true then it will be a sure fire keeper of a game. Your scam theory is about the dumbest thing I have ever read, but considering your past posting history it does not surprise me.

I miss DAoC

• lovelyToastlovelyToast Member Posts: 3

Just wanted to point something out to all the people who have given their credit card details and think they are safe. YOU AREN'T

What happens if they wait until the release date tell everyone the game has shipped take the money from your c/c and then do a runner to the sun and sea of some far of nation? Your c/c company will probably not care as most of them have dropped cover for online purchases over the last 6-12 months so there goes your money. You have also given them all your details like c/c number, name, address and security number which is all they need to create a clone and the first thing you will know if they have done that is when you get maxed out c/c bill. Sorry but you people really need to read the small print when you get a c/c. And before people slag me off and flame me I know these things as I have worked in the business.

Another odd thing is why are they giving 40% off for buying from their site? You cant get the game anywhere else so how does that make sense!

If I had purchased this game I would seriously think about cancelling the order you have made and then getting a new c/c and cancelling the old one.

EDIT to this as well. This game is supposed to go live in 3 weeks. Have you seen the screenshots and videos posted?

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by lovelyToast
    Just wanted to point something out to all the people who have given their credit card details and think they are safe. YOU AREN'T
    What happens if they wait until the release date tell everyone the game has shipped take the money from your c/c and then do a runner to the sun and sea of some far of nation? Your c/c company will probably not care as most of them have dropped cover for online purchases over the last 6-12 months so there goes your money. You have also given them all your details like c/c number, name, address and security number which is all they need to create a clone and the first thing you will know if they have done that is when you get maxed out c/c bill. Sorry but you people really need to read the small print when you get a c/c. And before people slag me off and flame me I know these things as I have worked in the business.
    Another odd thing is why are they giving 40% off for buying from their site? You cant get the game anywhere else so how does that make sense!
    If I had purchased this game I would seriously think about cancelling the order you have made and then getting a new c/c and cancelling the old one.
    EDIT to this as well. This game is supposed to go live in 3 weeks. Have you seen the screenshots and videos posted?

Social Security Number? I have not signed up for this one but I could not imagine a game company wanting an SSN, especially one that isn't from the US.

IF this is true, they wanted an SSN and people gave them it, well, your just asking to be bent over. I have a hard time beleiveing they did ask for it however, I suppose someone that has actually pre payed or subscribed or signed up or whatever can clarify this however.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Sorry you miss understand when I said Security Number. I meant the three digit number on the back of the card that is used as an extra method of checking the person making the transaction actually holds the card.

Ahh, ok, I should have realized that, slow morning, brain isnt working yet. Those risks are with any online purchase though, thats why some refuse to use a credit card online.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Well not really as long as the transaction is done via https secure link with a well known and trusted company then there is no problem.

True, usually there ins't then.

- Scaris

• ebonmageebonmage Member Posts: 2

Well, i have been looking at morning since i first found it site. and i have been wating and wating for it to come out. i think the game shows great promise in skill and the way you learn things.  Also about pre ordering the game i already did and it was a secure site. If you guys would look, at all the new things this game will offer mabe the rateing will go up some... i mean just think you actually become part fo the game. you can make your own quest. Make hybrids (tank/healer) there is so much this game has to offer. Now i again i have been watching this game for about 2 years now and i haven't seen anything that would make me think that this game is a rip off. as for graphics in my oppinoin i think it is better then world of warcraft, and not only that but it gives you the true PvP experience (unlike WoW where pvp is purely to piss people off and get repair bills) where you can loot your enemys corpse. to me this game shows major promise and i can't wait to play it... for all thosae who play world of warcraft

sever shadow moon level 41 mage ebonmage

everquest  level 38 shadowknight defbringa

life is short so enjoy every moment you never know when it is going to end!image

I'm not advocating that Mourning a scam, I'm pointing out that the situation is questionable.

It is upto Limitless Horizons to professionally squash rumours and reveal the product to the stage it is in.

• MorriganMorrigan Member Posts: 242

And I think when they are ready for their unveiling, they will.

Until then, I would say let them do their job to accomplish that task.

One player's great game is another players derisive snort!
    http://www.darthmyr.com for free guild forums

Originally posted by lovelyToast
    Well not really as long as the transaction is done via https secure link with a well known and trusted company then there is no problem.

You mean like the one the Mourning people are using? I have not pre ordered however I did go far enough into the site to make sure they were using https and have a valid certificate before posting this. Myself I am more worried about decent gameplay etc etc than a scam.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog
    ...Myself I am more worried about decent gameplay etc etc than a scam.

Similar.

The early days of Realms of Torment, were very impressive, but everything seemed to go behind closed doors near the name change of the game. It is like they didn't backup their work and lost it some how then couldn'tkeep up the public show case.

It is a major concern for potential buyers of the game to check how valid the game is. One concern is the recent picture released last weekend to try to squash rumours of the game being a hoax. That screen picture had no graphics-user-interface, and seemed different to the styles of early pictures shown off for the game.

Matters aren’t helped when the development and manager of the game come out with conflicting statements and claims that don’t add up. Unless the game is a total secret, the claim that the game is about to go gold is complete ridiculous.  That'sone example.

I personally believe that the Friday announcement may include a request for players to be understanding and pay to play a non completed game whilst they work on it. Going Gold-Beta, so to say.

The worse case scenario is that the game at the start was shown off on a graphics engine, say like Quake2 engine, and the development crew hoped in time they would be able to get around to programming their own code and game content. This would calculate with the inconsistent screen pictures of how a game would be and couldn't be.

Oh, well, time will tell.

Originally posted by RPGPorkster

Matters aren’t helped when the development and manager of the game come out with conflicting statements and claims that don’t add up. Unless the game is a total secret, the claim that the game is about to go gold is complete ridiculous.
    The worse case scenario is that the game at the start was shown off on a graphics engine, say like Quake2 engine, and the development crew hoped in time they would be able to get around to programming their own code and game content. This would calculate with the inconsistent screen pictures of how a game would be and couldn't be.

Porkster - just leave it alone!!

Your "worst case scenario" is totally stupid (no suprise there) and what conflicting statements are you refering to (please provide links).

Why do you and a couple of others insist on posting idiotic scam/conspiracy posts about Mourning and DnL??

Neither of these games have a huge dev team or a huge marketing team. I wouldn't be suprised if either/both games got delayed - but so what?? It happens to the majority of mmorpgs.

• horvathihorvathi Member Posts: 20

Hey Porkster,

I just like to express my opinion that I agree with you.

Your posts show insight, and thought given to the matters, which I could not say about the opposition.

I don't think it's a scam, it's too far ahead, but indeed the immaturity of the devs, and the game - hehe - is well visible.

I just hope they'll deliver something decent in a few months, as it's quite clearly not going to be anywhere close to release in this month :-)

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

I'm surprised by their community manager. Never before have I seen an official representative of a game company act as immature as this guy. People demanding clear answers are called whiners. Negative comments about the game are being met with threats to permanently ban forum users. Discussions are marked pointless and useless. It surprises me that a community manager would act like that and personally alienate potential customers. Due to this and the logical arguments stated here by RPGPorkster, I also agree that the game is either far from release or vaporware and in both cases, not worthy of recommendation. We shall see.

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

Thanks guys for the support.

We don't want to shoot games down in flames but we also don't want to be shafted when buying them.

Cheers