Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Ten Reasons to Hate MMO X

Comments

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

All Valid reasons

• Nostromo21Nostromo21 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Travel times. I want to play a mmo game, not an aboriginal walkabout simulation. Cut them the f#$k down & stop wasting our time & money! :)

They say that right before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. That's true, even for a blind man. ^DareDevil^

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by Methos12

I also find the whole "lag is terrible!" thing ridiculous, especially when people can't even differentiate between ACTUAL lag (caused by internet connection and server-side connection or infrastructure) and their own client's hardware performance issues (weak PC)... even more when those very same people complain about lag in singleplayer games.    /face palm

Good read.

Or their in the realm of the LAG MONSTER

(Name that mmo...)

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

dont forget "forced PVE, forced PVP, forced SOLO, forced GROUP, forcer RAID..." the mostly current =)

also Forced March

Originally posted by Kruul

Size does matter. The game worlds are way to small. 
    I have played LOTRO more than any of the current titles and Moria comes to mind. After steamrolling the content I placed a wager with a guildy that I could run (no mount) from the entrance  of Moria to the Lothlorien side in under 15 minutes. It ended up taking me just over 16 minutes. It made the game from there on seem so small.
    If a small company like Aventurine can make a persistant world that is many times the size of WOWs,the companys like Blizzard, Turbine, and SOE should be able to  make something truely massive.

Originally posted by Nostromo21

Travel times. I want to play a mmo game, not an aboriginal walkabout simulation. Cut them the f#$k down & stop wasting our time & money! :)

just saying.....

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Great list but the because its made by should be number 2.

• zehamberglarzehamberglar Member UncommonPosts: 27

#5 is my biggest fear for when Need For Speed World Online comes out.

Drift City is a mediocre, arcade-style, cel-shade graphic'd, Korean-developed, F2P MMO that is all about racing. And as you can tell by the title, that mostly involves drifting.

Drift City is one of my favorite MMOs, just b/c it's so different. It has virtually no competitors, b/c there are no other Car MMOs out there (Project Torque players tend to see it otherwise, but they don't really matter).

My fear is that when that NFS game comes out, i won't like it, and every DC player will flock there.

Originally posted by nekollx
    Originally posted by Kruul Size does matter. The game worlds are way to small. 
    I have played LOTRO more than any of the current titles and Moria comes to mind. After steamrolling the content I placed a wager with a guildy that I could run (no mount) from the entrance  of Moria to the Lothlorien side in under 15 minutes. It ended up taking me just over 16 minutes. It made the game from there on seem so small.
    If a small company like Aventurine can make a persistant world that is many times the size of WOWs,the companys like Blizzard, Turbine, and SOE should be able to  make something truely massive.

just saying.....

Hey, I got no beef with enormous game worlds - love them in fact! But give us travel powers/mechanics ala CoX, GW or early fast travel vehicles ala the current SWG.
    I like to stop & smell the roses more so than most actually, but once I've had to run (usually in quicksand slow-mo mode :) through the same area/place in a mmo for the 50th time, it all gets a bit old & nothing turns me off a game quicker (yes, I'm looking at YOU EQ2, about 5 years back!).

I don't care if portals or teleports or insta-travel is not realistic & breaks immersion for some. They are free to not use them & walk/run everywhere if they like :). OTOH, if the devs want my money, I won't be running around like a hamster for long. I'd rather grind mobs actually, as much as I hate that as well. And mounts you get at high levels are next to useless also - some of us are casual players who may not care about the endgame at all & like to experiment with alts & spend most of our (very limited) time in the low-mid levels. And we pay our $15/mth like everyone else, so there! ;-p

They say that right before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. That's true, even for a blind man. ^DareDevil^

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

Yet another good List.

#10 There's Too Much Lag

This one made me laugh. I had flashbacks of UO while still on dial-up, which was fine because most people were still on dial-up.

Problem was the college kids, via at least a T-1 connect, would log in and do what I call  " The Sweeps". They would sweep the most popular dungeons from top to bottom, killing everybody and everything. Now, unless you were on a high speed connection, you and your group would see the names incoming, see a few spells go off, then see gray. You really didn't have a chance.

But the payback was sweet when most of us in my guild finally had cable.

As someone else touched on, the use of the word "lag" for any problem is one of my pet peeves.

Well, that and the improper use of the words lose/loose.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Respit

As someone else touched on, the use of the word "lag" for any problem is one of my pet peeves.
    Well, that and the improper use of the words lose/loose.

Heh, I hate it when people can't spell the word "ridiculous". For how overused it is these days, on top of the built-in spellcheck in most forums, there is absolutely no excuse for misspelling it beyond wanting to look uneducated.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

#1 WoW Clone

"MMO X is nothing but another WoW clone."

That's right folks, our #1 reason to hate MMO X is your favorite complaint and mine: It's a WoW clone.

World of Warcraft, being the biggest thing to happen in the MMO industry and possibly the video game industry as a whole, was bound to start setting trends in the way that these games are made. Still, that doesn't excuse the games out there that set out to make their games as much like WoW as possible without getting sued. It's lazy and isn't going to fool anyone.

That being said, there's a flip side to this coin, as WoW clone has started to be used not just to describe games that genuinely rip off WoW, but also to describe the traditional theme park MMO which, despite WoW's massive popularity, Blizzard did not invent.

---------------------------------------------

I agree that this is the top reason given.... however.....

I'm not denying that WoW is a good (excellent to most) game, but to have the audacity to cast scrutiny against any games afterwards for "making their games as much like WoW as possible without getting sued" is plain idiocy when WoW is guilty of this concept itself.

I swear to god, people put the blindfolds on and earplugs in whenever this pathetic excuse is thrown back at WoW for being an UO, EQ, <insert other MMOs here out at WoW's release> clone.  But then, the truly naive think there was nothing before WoW and that the entire genre was invented with it's release.  People who support the "X is a clone of WoW, but WoW isn't a clone of anything" are full of shit.  Current MMOs are doing the same thing as every other MMO, including your precious WoW, did before: pluck the best qualities of other MMOs and try to build something awesome.

Sorry boys and girls, WoW is not unique, no matter how much fanboi crying you use to try and defend against this; It just happens to be the best collective database for popular MMO features around.  And for the slow who can't figure out what this means, it means that Blizz has already sniffed the better qualities of existing/upcoming MMOs and added them to as their own.  At least half of the features since and including BC have been copied from other MMOs.  So why waste time researching the other MMOs when someone already has?  Just copy their notes, as they did to get them, and move on.

If you wanted the best price on a TV, would you go to every store and check prices for the next week, or go to that popular store who already spent a week comparing prices and matched the lowest?  Same idea.

And no, this is not from a WoW-hater (as I hinted at the beginning).  I just live in this place called "reality" where I try to examine the whole truth of things, not just the biased bullshit that most try to use.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some daily randoms to run....

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Miner-2049er

Very good list, and so true.
    Maybe every new forum should have a sticky poll where objectors can indicate from 1 to 10 their reason why they want the game to fail.

I like this idea.  It would save all of us a lot of time by eliminating the need to read a bunch of useless crap that usually leads to one of those points.  I should know...I type plenty of it.  After all....I have to EXPLAIN why point 1, 4, 7 or 8 applies to MMO X.

However....it would be a lot easier to just make a post now simply stating:

"Reason # 7."

And then...I would never incur flare ups of carpal tunnel again.

You win for most useful post in this thread!  ;)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Respit As someone else touched on, the use of the word "lag" for any problem is one of my pet peeves.
    Well, that and the improper use of the words lose/loose. image

Heh, I hate it when people can't spell the word "ridiculous". For how overused it is these days, on top of the built-in spellcheck in most forums, there is absolutely no excuse for misspelling it beyond wanting to look uneducated.

"your" instead of "you're" has to be right up there...don't even get me started on "ur" ;)

• EivilSarEivilSar Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Rohn

I think you should add the following to the list: "I'm an MMO vet, and I decree that this game sux / is broken/ is epic fail."
    As someone else pointed out, the VAST majority of supposedly "game-breaking" problems or shortcomings or flaws most games have are based solely on personal preference, opinion, and taste, rather than on factual problems or demonstrably flawed game design.

/agree
    I personally hate WoW cause its rewards are based on grind/time played rather than skill. An you need the rewards to improve your character. IMHO
    The measure of grind is what rewards you get verse time, content, character improvements, stimulation and various quest mechanics. I like a game that you can play for 30mins a few times a week make noticeable progression and have a life. Try that with WoW and after a month you may have 1/4-1/3 progression towards a pair of gloves :)

Its impossible of a single game to meet every type of player, hence why there are a few games doing alright and soime better.
    Wnat I find sad is games with sick potiential are lost amongst the mass of fodder ( spellborn comes to mine ). Oh well.

Good list BTW!

EivilSar, Deathhand of International
    Spellborn PvP

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

I despise grammar police on internet forums, especially in the society we live in today with things such as text messages. 

I'm horrible at grammar and spelling and hated studying it in school.  I improved it a lot while studying for my admissions test to get in Grad school, but I still hate it and make many errors all the time.

I say that to say this, just because i struggle with it does not mean that I am not educated.  My quantitative and analytical skills are very high, I'm an accountant by trade.  I do taxes for doctors and other highly intelligent people all the time, God gave us all abilities that we excel in and other abilities we aren't so good in.

Judging someone's intellect or education based upon one's understanding of written English language is moronic and is many times an indicator that you yourself are not well educated and are taking  an opportunity to try and prove your intellect by degrading someone else by highlighting the tidbit of information you do know.

• CymTyrCymTyr Member Posts: 166

Good article, thanks for posting.

• LexiscatLexiscat Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by girlgeek

Maybe every new forum should have a sticky poll where objectors can indicate from 1 to 10 their reason why they want the game to fail.

I like this idea.  It would save all of us a lot of time by eliminating the need to read a bunch of useless crap that usually leads to one of those points.  I should know...I type plenty of it.  After all....I have to EXPLAIN why point 1, 4, 7 or 8 applies to MMO X.

"Reason # 7."

This stood out to me too. I think this is a great idea.

"This game would be great if it had a little less # 1 and more # 7. Basically I am saying this is a # 6 nightmare."

I hear that combo a lot.

“Nothing excites jaded Grandmasters more than a theoretical novelty”

Originally posted by Lexiscat

Originally posted by girlgeek

"Reason # 7."

This stood out to me too. I think this is a great idea.

"This game would be great if it had a little less # 1 and more # 7. Basically I am saying this is a # 6 nightmare."

I hear that combo a lot.

ROFL!!!  OMG....that made me actually CACKLE! =D

• KerixKerix Member Posts: 6

On reason #1 "This is a complete WoW clone"

When I first started playing WoW, all I could think of was

THIS IS A COMPLETE EQ CLONE

I still think that WoW is a shameless ripoff of EQ1

They just did it slicker, with fewer bugs, worse graphics, and managed to market it enough to break all subscription records.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Griefers are only part of the problem. The other part are the penalties for getting killed. In EVE one griefer looking for a thrill can cost you weeks or months of work. That's something I'd rather not deal with. I mean being a casuality of a faction war is one thing, but biting it because some loser is bored is not something I want to deal with. It's not fun. Games are for fun right? What's the fun in being another notch some jerk's kill list?

Originally posted by Kerix

On reason #1 "This is a complete WoW clone"
    When I first started playing WoW, all I could think of was
    THIS IS A COMPLETE EQ CLONE
    I still think that WoW is a shameless ripoff of EQ1
    They just did it slicker, with fewer bugs, worse graphics, and managed to market it enough to break all subscription records.

Do you seriously think WoW's graphics are WORSE than EQ1?  O.o  I mean, I can understand someone saying EQ2 (if they like that more plastic sort of semi-realism look), but to say EQ1 graphics were better than WoW? Better how? WoW actually won numerous awards for their artistic design. Granted it's a stylized game....so maybe you just like the "style" of characters that look like they were drawn by a junior high school artist and move like they have sticks up their butts...okay...I can accept that. But that means that we both have different artistic TASTE, not that one or the other is necessarily better....

Although....I guess I am really saying WoW's graphics are better than EQ1s....

Meh...forgive me.  I suppose it is all really about preference, huh?

But worse than EQ ONE?....  I still can't get over the fact that anyone said that.....

Wait...EQ ONE?!  Really?  ONE?

Still in shock.....

EQ ONE right....not TWO, but....ONE?

Wow....just....wow.

• bamdorfbamdorf Member UncommonPosts: 150

I think he mentioned personal preferences...  Many people I know think Everquest went downhill sharply after the PoK (fast travel just about everywhere.)    And I agree.   

One ideal is a game you can log into and play 10 minutes and get something done.   The other is a game that seems to want you to play for hours, organizing, camping, traveling, recovering your corpse.

Err, sorry, close to bedtime and I need to decide whether to plant radishes tonight.

---------------------------
    Rose-lipped maidens,
    Light-foot lads...

• edutyeduty Member Posts: 17

I don't think the number one reason is so much a comment on WoW itself or the similarities of other games, but a growing distaste with the overall genre. I played WoW for nearly 5 years, but after that I felt like I had seen it all. I wasn't excited about the Wrath of the Lich King because it only promised more of the same. I've given other games a shot here and there (CoH, EVE, iRO, and Aion) and just couldn't get excited about killing mobs and question for loot.

Originally posted by Mazin
    I despise grammar police on internet forums, especially in the society we live in today with things such as text messages. 
    I'm horrible at grammar and spelling and hated studying it in school.  I improved it a lot while studying for my admissions test to get in Grad school, but I still hate it and make many errors all the time.
    I say that to say this, just because i struggle with it does not mean that I am not educated.  My quantitative and analytical skills are very high, I'm an accountant by trade.  I do taxes for doctors and other highly intelligent people all the time, God gave us all abilities that we excel in and other abilities we aren't so good in.
    Judging someone's intellect or education based upon one's understanding of written English language is moronic and is many times an indicator that you yourself are not well educated and are taking  an opportunity to try and prove your intellect by degrading someone else by highlighting the tidbit of information you do know.

Dude, you can't be that bad at spelling as I couldn't spot one mistake in that whole post. ;)

Originally posted by bamdorf
    Originally posted by Nostromo21 Travel times. I want to play a mmo game, not an aboriginal walkabout simulation. Cut them the f#$k down & stop wasting our time & money! :)

I think he mentioned personal preferences...  Many people I know think Everquest went downhill sharply after the PoK (fast travel just about everywhere.)    And I agree.   
    One ideal is a game you can log into and play 10 minutes and get something done.   The other is a game that seems to want you to play for hours, organizing, camping, traveling, recovering your corpse.
    Err, sorry, close to bedtime and I need to decide whether to plant radishes tonight.

LOL! I guess I just can't understand (or sympathise) with ppl who actually *prefer* to have to run all over the same countryside 50 times, than some good fast travel options. They clearly have too much time on their hands. Never let realism get in the way of good gameplay. All mmo devs could learn a thing or two from ArenaNet & GW (which isn't a 'real' mmorpg anyway!) if you ask me. Oh wait, they're going to have GW2 out soon - more lessons they won't learn for the rest of the market yet again :).

OTOH, WOW, what can I say about WoW. It's the grindy hamster wheel of uber grindness. It did/does for grind what crack does for the mind <G>. Ok, it's not that bad, but it's addictive & repetitive, while being solo/casual friendly & most PC/platform spec friendly, which are 2 things Blizzard did their marketing on very well. LOTRO is only better imo because of it's integrated lore & story, better visuals/world immersion & far different/better community due to it being an almost purely PvE game.

And you can't compare EQ1 to WoW - it's utterly antiquated & prosaic as a mmo in 2010. Even WoW is falling behind the times, even if it's not losing subs as yet.