Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA Dropped; beta info here

Comments

• TonevTonev Member Posts: 462

@Smut

Go to Target or Walmart as they have themm for $0.99.

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Originally posted by championsFan

Originally posted by Crocolix

some more reviews?
    i dont trust Blurr

I did not play the beta as much as some STO fans.  I am a Champions Fanatic and so I want Cryptic to succeed, but I can't recommend STO unless you are going to "make it work", like I did with CO.  What I mean is that if you are 100% determined to enjoy STO, then you probably can do it, like I did with CO, but it involves going insane and changing your definition of quality (half-joking).  I say similar things about CO as STO fans say about STO, "use your imagination and it is very immersive", "i am a realist', and many more. 

After a few months of playing only CO I decided to replay Mass Effect for a little while, and I felt like I had jumped 10 years into the future of producton value.  I still play CO everyday, but since playing Mass Effect I have remembered what quality is, so I see why most folks find CO grotesque (but after 1000 hours who does not love to be a game wizard eh?).

Basically my complaints about STO are the same as everyone else's complaints about CO:

1.  Way too instanced, does not feel like space, too many loading screens.

I am not really what you would call an instance fan but for me, it actually felt like it worked really well in STO. What would have fixed this problem for a lot of people is if they had done something like mass effect did when it was loading. They should have made your ship be in warp during the loading screens and I don't think it would have bothered people nearly as much.

It was disappointing not to see a dynamic loading screen like in mass effect or EVE, but I also feel they could have choosen better art for the loading screens that was more immersive.

2.  Weak death penalty either makes everything trivial or impossible: either you can zerg it, which is trivial, or man if you can't even zerg it then it is impossible.  Also the devs stated many times that they want little to no death penalty.

Wait till you start having to hire your crew back due to death, you wont think it so weak lol. During missions that I was solo in, I never zerged anything, but you do have a lot of those folks that wont read whats going on in the quest and just click through it and take off. Thats why I like the solo option. If I can't find a group that wants to take their time and go through it, then I would rather do it solo then deal with people who have MMO adhd and cant be bothered to do anything other than storm to the top level as fast as they can. And this is coming from someone who knows how to level in MMO's and who plays them usually 4-5 hours a day, every day. This has been the first MMO since EverQuest, that I actually want to spend time reading the lore and just enjoy the feeling of, you are the captain and you are making a difference for starfleet. And this is coming from someone who loves the shows but that is about as far as I would take it. I dont go to any of the conventions, I dont read the books, I just enjoyed the shows and thats the feeling I get from playing the game.'

Awesome! I too watched all the shows, and (independent of STO) I watched all the TNG/DS9/VOY episodes throughout 2009 as well.   I feel like typical missions portrayed on ST involve more mystery and more layers of depth than what I have found in STO.

3. You spend a lot of time doing missions that are too menial to team up for.

There are a few in there like that, but remember, when you team up, it scales the mission in difficulty for teams, so there really isn't to much problems with menial missions.

I agree that teaming is supported by the game (e.g. scaling difficulty), but if you approach the game from a typical "gotta level up" point of view then teaming kind of gets in the way.  But I agree that teaming is probably fun in a relaxed/immersed style of play (which is what it takes to enjoy teaming in CO). 

4.  While the general space maps were ok, I found the maps for the away missions (planets) to be ghastly.  A lot like the planets in Mass Effect actually, about 1/2 a square mile of barren terrain with the only interesting features coinciding exactly with the things you have to interact with, and again suffering from problem (3), too menial to be worth two load screens.

I can't really argue this point other than this. You see about what you see, just like  in the tv shows.

TV and Movies can only ever give brief glimpses of a planet, but often the corresponding games try to flesh out the planet to....feel like a planet.  The fixed camera angles on TV go a long way to not feeling confined in a space 

5. Exploration and crafting (didn't get to play them, just read beta forums) were added pretty late and were kind of the nail in the coffin for me and this game, my only hope for STO was that it would have a procedurally generated crafting/exploring end game with long term character progression.   

And it probably will.

My advice is that that is a little too much to hope for, but maybe STO will get a huge live team if it does well, who knows.   But it won't be there at launch.

As a ST fan, the biggest problems for me were 1, 4, and 5.   For MMO fans, I find 2 and 3 to spoil the game: you cannot play it with the intensity of challenge in a WoW or EVE.   The game will stop challenging you long before you master it, and the best way to have fun is to use your imagination / pseudo-roleplay / gimp yourself for variety sake, you guys probably know what I am trying to convey.   Eventually everyone will be an admiral, and yes there was heavy pleading and whine-quitting over the "admiral" issue in the beta forums, and Cryptic inexplicably took a hardline on this choice of designation.  After the first month CO had about 5,000 "admirals" (lvl 40s) amongst 1million total characters (the total includes all characters, including those that had been deleted, created just for testing, etc).

What about playing the game for fun? Does every game have to be super intense or extremely hard? I dunno, I see a couple things here. I am willing to bet that the old hardcore EQ type players would probably enjoy this game more than the WoW type players. And to me, that says a lot about a game. The game doesn't hand hold you through out the game. it doesn't draw pretty lines to go from your quest giver to the mobs you got to kill. it makes you take time to learn the universe on your own, without saying, Here ya go sony, let me draw you a map to where you have to go.

Awesome!   I play CO for fun that way, so I know exactly what you mean.  Unfortunately a lot of the criticism that has hurt CO is from the super intense demographic, and maybe you will agree that those same people who want to play an MMO super intensely (instead of for fun) might not like STO.   

I also don't have a problem with the admiral issue. This is an MMO and eventually your going to have tons of folks at end level. For star trek sake, I really think they should have put in commander and made captain the last level and left admiral off the list, but it is just a game. 

I agree it is not that big of a deal, but your suggestion is exactly what everyone was talking about on the beta forums, it's an immersion issue.  Why didn't Cyptic make Captain the highest rank and reserve admial for fleet leaders, future expansions,  etc.  

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by championsFan

I am not really what you would call an instance fan but for me, it actually felt like it worked really well in STO. What would have fixed this problem for a lot of people is if they had done something like mass effect did when it was loading. They should have made your ship be in warp during the loading screens and I don't think it would have bothered people nearly as much.
    It was disappointing not to see a dynamic loading screen like in mass effect or EVE, but I also feel they could have choosen better art for the loading screens that was more immersive.
     I would not argue that point. I would assume that it might get changed later on, once they have it released and have some revenue coming in. But it doesn't really bother me that bad.

Wait till you start having to hire your crew back due to death, you wont think it so weak lol. During missions that I was solo in, I never zerged anything, but you do have a lot of those folks that wont read whats going on in the quest and just click through it and take off. Thats why I like the solo option. If I can't find a group that wants to take their time and go through it, then I would rather do it solo then deal with people who have MMO adhd and cant be bothered to do anything other than storm to the top level as fast as they can. And this is coming from someone who knows how to level in MMO's and who plays them usually 4-5 hours a day, every day. This has been the first MMO since EverQuest, that I actually want to spend time reading the lore and just enjoy the feeling of, you are the captain and you are making a difference for starfleet. And this is coming from someone who loves the shows but that is about as far as I would take it. I dont go to any of the conventions, I dont read the books, I just enjoyed the shows and thats the feeling I get from playing the game.'
    Awesome! I too watched all the shows, and (independent of STO) I watched all the TNG/DS9/VOY episodes throughout 2009 as well.   I feel like typical missions portrayed on ST involve more mystery and more layers of depth than what I have found in STO.
    Another valid point. I will point out that in a lot of the shows, they figure everything out in the last 5 minutes which I always found kind of annoying but accepted it because of their 1 hour time slot. Kinda the same way I am accepting the missions in STO as being a little less mysterious than what is in the shows. It is another area that they can improve in.

There are a few in there like that, but remember, when you team up, it scales the mission in difficulty for teams, so there really isn't to much problems with menial missions.
     I agree that teaming is supported by the game (e.g. scaling difficulty), but if you approach the game from a typical "gotta level up" point of view then teaming kind of gets in the way.  But I agree that teaming is probably fun in a relaxed/immersed style of play (which is what it takes to enjoy teaming in CO). 
    It could be intense and be fun. However it is going to require you to be in a group that is on some type of voice comms so that you can coordinate a lot better. Another area that I wish they had explored a little more, it would have been nice to have built in voice comms in the game

I can't really argue this point other than this. You see about what you see, just like  in the tv shows.
    TV and Movies can only ever give brief glimpses of a planet, but often the corresponding games try to flesh out the planet to....feel like a planet.  The fixed camera angles on TV go a long way to not feeling confined in a space 
    I never really felt confined while I was on any of the planets.

And it probably will.
    My advice is that that is a little too much to hope for, but maybe STO will get a huge live team if it does well, who knows.   But it won't be there at launch.

Oh no, wont be there at launch, but I think it will be in there at some point.

What about playing the game for fun? Does every game have to be super intense or extremely hard? I dunno, I see a couple things here. I am willing to bet that the old hardcore EQ type players would probably enjoy this game more than the WoW type players. And to me, that says a lot about a game. The game doesn't hand hold you through out the game. it doesn't draw pretty lines to go from your quest giver to the mobs you got to kill. it makes you take time to learn the universe on your own, without saying, Here ya go sony, let me draw you a map to where you have to go.
    Awesome!   I play CO for fun that way, so I know exactly what you mean.  Unfortunately a lot of the criticism that has hurt CO is from the super intense demographic, and maybe you will agree that those same people who want to play an MMO super intensely (instead of for fun) might not like STO.   
    I learned a long time ago that those type of folks are more problematic than helpful. They can find their own game that they can power level through in a week and then be on to the next one. We wont have to worry about them hanging around this one to long.

I also don't have a problem with the admiral issue. This is an MMO and eventually your going to have tons of folks at end level. For star trek sake, I really think they should have put in commander and made captain the last level and left admiral off the list, but it is just a game. 
    I agree it is not that big of a deal, but your suggestion is exactly what everyone was talking about on the beta forums, it's an immersion issue.  Why didn't Cyptic make Captain the highest rank and reserve admial for fleet leaders, future expansions,  etc.  

Well the thing is, maybe they already have a plan for the future expansions and it all fits with the admiral thing. Then again it could just be an issue of to much work for such a little change. We may never know..

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

i think something ehre needs to be reiterated to alot of people here. Firstly the whole point of an open or even closed beta is not to show everyhting a game has to offer. Secondly, when paramount sold the ip to cryptic after the miserable job perpetual had done they set specific benchmarks and contraols over where the game should be at in terms of developement, launch, and the interim there after. CO failed because the whole super hero thing is long in the tooth. Aside from eve there hasn't been a very good sci fi mmo since earth and beyond.  i'm waiting about a month to actually play the released game, but from my open beta experience this is the trek game alot of non trek fans want, it's not stepped in technobabbly like alot of the shows, it's not dripping in excessive politicism or sappy one universe for all rhetoric the story line has teeth and the game play is adapted in a way yo encourage a broad rang of players, which in turn will keep revenue and new content flowing. I have hated a number of the release ST games, except for elite force 2 and legacy< modded>.  I think alot of the belliegerence comes from alot of people that were noticably burned by SW galaxies. I'll admit after that fiasco I didnt touch mo's. Trek has lured me back out . 

so say we all

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

How is the PvP?

Endgame?

Crafting?

To be honest this game sounds very much like CO where there was alot of early game content but no end game to strive for.

Originally posted by cylon8

i think something ehre needs to be reiterated to alot of people here. Firstly the whole point of an open or even closed beta is not to show everyhting a game has to offer. Secondly, when paramount sold the ip to cryptic after the miserable job perpetual had done they set specific benchmarks and contraols over where the game should be at in terms of developement, launch, and the interim there after. CO failed because the whole super hero thing is long in the tooth. Aside from eve there hasn't been a very good sci fi mmo since earth and beyond.  i'm waiting about a month to actually play the released game, but from my open beta experience this is the trek game alot of non trek fans want, it's not stepped in technobabbly like alot of the shows, it's not dripping in excessive politicism or sappy one universe for all rhetoric the story line has teeth and the game play is adapted in a way yo encourage a broad rang of players, which in turn will keep revenue and new content flowing. I have hated a number of the release ST games, except for elite force 2 and legacy< modded>.  I think alot of the belliegerence comes from alot of people that were noticably burned by SW galaxies. I'll admit after that fiasco I didnt touch mo's. Trek has lured me back out . 

Nonsense. CO did not fail because of the Superhero setting but rather that it almost completely lacked an end game and grouping in that game was pointless because 99% of the content was so easy so after a couple of months people got bored and moved on.

So the questions are. Does STO have clear incentives to group? How easy is the game to solo most of the content? And what endgame does it have, if any?

Originally posted by Blurr

You know, I knew what a tribble was (I even had a toy tribble as a kid, till my brother hit it with a baseball bat, long story), but when I got it ingame, I didn't think they'd actually go to the extent of making them eat all your food and multiply like that. I was just really impressed with the attention to detail on this and other things. It was just one of those "Cool!" moments I had to share.
    Yes "boffs" are Bridge Officers, the AI crew you get.
    As far as this being the "best ST we could get", note that I do say with our current technology and market. I realize some people have a "perfect" idea of what a ST MMO should be like. Heck even I have one, and STO is not "perfect" in that way either. But you have to see common sense and realize that it would be impossible to do everyone's version of "perfect" or in fact, anyones version of "perfect". Some people, though, want perfect and will accept nothing less. Unfortunately those people will get nothing. If you can take the concessions they've had to make, then you'll probably enjoy STO a lot. If you're a "purist", you may not like STO as much, but I highly doubt we'll get anything better barring a STO2. Go tell Cryptic (ie not these forums) what you want in the game and you can be sure they will at least listen, even if they politely refuse.
    For people who say my standards must be "low", well I would simply say that I'm a realist. This is what we've got. We can tell Cryptic what we want in/changed, but they are the developers and we are not. The game is fun as the majority of people will tell you, so why not enjoy it rather than chasing after something that'll never happen. I may want Megan Fox to fall in love with me AND be intelligent, but the odds on either of those (let alone both) are pretty low, though that doesn't mean I can't have an enjoyable life with someone I actually meet.
    The game is fun, it feels like star trek, and it's here right now. That's all I really need to know, the rest of the stuff is just icing on the cake.

If Champions Online in space, if that is really how this game is, is all that you can hope for with current tech then you got some really low standards when it comes to MMORPGs.

I mean Champions Online comes nowhere near the quality of games like LotR for PvE or WAR for casual PvP or Eve for hardcore PvP and economy. The only thing that Champions Online excels at is customisability. Everything else it did was lackluster and shallow.

Again this is based on the assumption that STO is similar to CO and from I have read so far. Instanced, linear, no mention of end-game, PvP scenarios, everything can be soloed. It sounds very similar to CO.

• NiblixNiblix Member Posts: 160

Champions Online, paying for a Star Trek MMO near you.......

.....and no, you can't have your Dev/Support staff back Champions. You got your Mighty Leap nerfed* just be happy, and i'm sure all the bugs and stability issuse will sort themselves out.

<Target acquired - Champions Online> Phasers set to Free-To-Play

Pew-Pew-Pew

*underpowered powersets get nerfed while overpowered ones get ignored or buffed.

Be paid for Beta Testing, don't pay to Beta Test.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Honestly I feel like anyone saying the game is CO in space is doing both games an injustice. It's easy to say that because they use the same engine, but really isn't like that. I'd say the best you could come is that they have the same basis for an interface, and ground combat is vaguely reminiscent of CO.

There has been mention of end-game content. From what I understand, their plan is to start out with Borg raid content. You meet them at the tail end of their attack in the tutorial, but you don't really get to see their true might. When you come against them again at endgame, they'll be much more powerful, with many ships needed to even take down one cube. (Like you'd expect)

Regarding being limited by the storyline, I think it's a combination of trying to stay true to the feel of the IP and writing what they needed for a proper MMO. They wrote in the war and the turbulence, but still manage to keep in a great amount of the exploration and diplomacy. They've kind of bridged the gap between the two sides, and I think they've done it pretty well.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Honestly I feel like anyone saying the game is CO in space is doing both games an injustice. It's easy to say that because they use the same engine, but really isn't like that. I'd say the best you could come is that they have the same basis for an interface, and ground combat is vaguely reminiscent of CO.
    There has been mention of end-game content. From what I understand, their plan is to start out with Borg raid content. You meet them at the tail end of their attack in the tutorial, but you don't really get to see their true might. When you come against them again at endgame, they'll be much more powerful, with many ships needed to even take down one cube. (Like you'd expect)
    Regarding being limited by the storyline, I think it's a combination of trying to stay true to the feel of the IP and writing what they needed for a proper MMO. They wrote in the war and the turbulence, but still manage to keep in a great amount of the exploration and diplomacy. They've kind of bridged the gap between the two sides, and I think they've done it pretty well.

That would be cool end-game raid... also make it not only a seek-and-destroy, but make one of the winning conditions a special mission before you meet the borg, like contacting Species 8472... a species that kicked the Borg's collective (no pun intended) ass.

• NiblixNiblix Member Posts: 160
    Originally posted by cylon8

CO failed because the whole super hero thing is long in the tooth.

Champions Online failed, and IS failing due to the fact most of the team were put on the STO project. Bugs go unfixed for months, next to no support, no content, poor server performance and only 1 server in the US. If they announce the development of another MMO, STO is totally screwed like Champions Online. 

Be paid for Beta Testing, don't pay to Beta Test.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

I have never really been a fan of Crafting, and i am struggling to see how crafting fits in with the Star Trek lore.

Individuals in Star Trek universe do not craft ships, and every other thing is 'crafted' by the replicators.

So what exactly is there to craft in a Star Trek game? Because it is an MMO does that mean that is MUST have crafting?

I don't think so, it has other things that are not in other MMOs, like the management of your bridge officers for example (there is no holy trinity, tank, helar, dps either at least not in the tradtional way), i am not saying that this can/should replace crafting, just that each game is different and an MMO forumla cannot apply to all MMOs.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Why do you think Borg continually increase their numbers?  They produce quality hand made blanket at premium prices and are trying to corner the market..now THAT is Star Trek

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

A few have said that the game in a lot of ways feels like a space version of Pirates of the Burning Sea.   Not that it's a necessary bad thing although it may limit the type of player who may like it. 

Originally posted by VultureSkull

I have never really been a fan of Crafting, and i am struggling to see how crafting fits in with the Star Trek lore.
    Individuals in Star Trek universe do not craft ships, and every other thing is 'crafted' by the replicators.

So what exactly is there to craft in a Star Trek game? Because it is an MMO does that mean that is MUST have crafting?
    I don't think so, it has other things that are not in other MMOs, like the management of your bridge officers for example (there is no holy trinity, tank, helar, dps either at least not in the tradtional way), i am not saying that this can/should replace crafting, just that each game is different and an MMO forumla cannot apply to all MMOs.

It is called inventing items and something that certainly existed in the Star Trek universe.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by VultureSkull

It is called inventing items and something that certainly existed in the Star Trek universe.

If we were to reverse the positronic matrix of the anti-matter decompressor, we would create an sub-spacial anomaly capable of altering the natural properties of Dilated Imfillium, resulting in a burst of post-modular energy resonating on an alternate frequency!

In other words Captain - it's a +1 to our phasers!

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Playing a little more and even more dissapointed. Space combat is very much like ground combat. Get in range and start firing. The "unique" mechanic of managing shields and firing arcs doesn't make up for the fact that everything else feels like you're still on the ground doing exactly the same thing with phasers. In fact, it happened more than once that i beamed down and my avatar was a ship, and beaming back up my avatar was a man in space. It's just a bug of course but it demonstrates how the gameplay mechanics work just fine.

It is just CO with a Star Trek look, nothing more. Right now a lot of people will enjoy this game, yes, but it's through rose-colored glasses because it's "new" to them, or they have so much vested in and hope for the game that they can't see it's faults. I can only sympathize, i've been there before, i've also defended a game or 2 no matter what the truth about it was and got a massive dissapointment a month or 2 later when i realized what exactly i was trying to defend.

Honestly, the best way to look at STO is that it's a lot like SWG, only Cryptic implemented the NGE straight away.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

I'd like to know about the exploration aspect of the game. How does the Genesis system hold up to repeated forays into the unknown? Can you 'level' by doing only exploration? Details please.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Cerion

I'd like to know about the exploration aspect of the game. How does the Genesis system hold up to repeated forays into the unknown? Can you 'level' by doing only exploration? Details please.

Genesis-generated content has only recently been added to the game so it hasn't been tested or played at all.  Anyone giving you an answer in under a week hasn't played enough to know anything about it in the long run.  Just fyi.

Also, if you didn't know, genesis doesn't auto-generate in-game content . It generates content for developers, they then "clean it up" and adjust it and add it to the game on a system by system basis. So the game doesn't have unlimited content.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by arieste

Originally posted by Cerion

Genesis-generated content has only recently been added to the game so it hasn't been tested or played at all.  Anyone giving you an answer in under a week hasn't played enough to know anything about it in the long run.  Just fyi.

Also, if you didn't know, genesis doesn't auto-generate in-game content . It generates content for developers, they then "clean it up" and adjust it and add it to the game on a system by system basis. So the game doesn't have unlimited content.

Thanks for that bit of info, and the clarification on Genesis.  I'll settle for any info on Exploration though. Right now it's the only aspect of the game that keeps me mildly interested in STO.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Err, wait, where did you hear this? Last I heard it was totally automatic.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• AmbreAmbre Member UncommonPosts: 104

About "endgame" :

End-game is a WoW concept. The game everyone played and everyone got used to : grind levels first, then switch to max level grinding for better gear (instances, raids, arenas... etc). Alot of people got terribly bored with WoW but paradoxically still ask for the exact same mechanics in their next game : I want an open world with lots of quests, instances, and then an endgame with instances and raids. Do you think you really want that again ?

Most MMOs dont have any endgame. What is EVE endgame for example but playing the game itself ? Now people asking for endgame might just expect a "WoW-type" game again, and maybe that's what devs intend to give them too as so many ask for it. But even then, most MMOs get released half finished nowadays, with mainly the leveling process implemented, so dont ask for too much. Devs hope they will retain enough subscribers to add more content over the time, that gonna be called "endgame" in two years. At the release WoW did not have any endgame either.

And I'm not talking specifically about STO there, as I've only been playing the game for just one day. But more generally, you need to be reasonable with your expectations for a game just being released. The most important question is if leveling your character/ship is fun from the beginning, not what you gonna do once it's over.

Check my blog on mmorpg.com.

The stoked guys interviewed Daniel Stahl, in episode 15 and in it he mentioned that the genesis system was actually a dev tool for them to generate systems.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

The stoked guys interviewed Daniel Stahl, in episode 15 and in it he mentioned that the genesis system was actually a dev tool for them to generate systems.

There's a lot of confusing terminology use going on regarding it.  Lots of people use it to refer to content that's randomly generated in the game.  I'm not even sure the devs have been consistent about how they talk about it.

Originally posted by Drachasor

There's a lot of confusing terminology use going on regarding it.  Lots of people use it to refer to content that's randomly generated in the game.  I'm not even sure the devs have been consistent about how they talk about it.

At first they were kind of vague about the genesis system and used it differently when they were talking about it, but since that interview with the stoked guys, they have been consistent in correcting people that it is a dev tool. but I agree that a lot of folks may use that term incorrectly.