Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My review of Star Trek Online.

2»

Comments

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Aguitha
    So far from what i read, space combat seems to leave a lot to be desired, someone made a comparaison with ship sailing in pirate of the burning sea, STO space combat feels the same, slow, bad control and hard....
    Slow doesn´t need to equal bad, not everyone is a 20 year old childgod of Counterstrike.
    The setup in PotbS was quite interesting for me, it was just that every fight or mission felt like a scenario, not like a world that could exist without you. Yes, the instances were important for balance, but...
  • mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by masterbbb26

This game sounds awful even when people who love the game write reviews. It seems to me that this game has absolutely no depth whatsoever. Sad really........also sad that it seems tribbles are the only thing people can write positively about in this game.

i'm enjoying the hell out of it so far... i love space combat. something just awesome about always being aware of position, shield strength, bridge officers skills, enemies shields, making sure your bringing the right weapons to bear. great fun. i'm still a little undecided about the ground combat. want to train more into spec ops, and play with the melee to decide how i feel

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by mokoleus
    was it? i don't remember having a problem with running and looking in different directions... maybe due to the auto run option, i turned that off

I am not sure. I haven't played Aion, but I do remember reading posts about some issue with this. Perhaps they fixed it.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• jmillerdlsjmillerdls Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Votan

Good review, I would just add that the game is not ready for release and should be delayed.  If they hold off and finish the game as they should it could be a fantastic game, but in its current state I fear it is going get a good sub base to start and then lose a good majority of it because the game simply is not ready for release. 
    They need at least another 3-6 months of work, if they did that the game could be a very big success, in its current state it is more than likely to end up another Champions or WAR and that is really to bad with the potential this game has.

This sounds vaguely familiar for every game released for years now.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Sad to say, but I'm not surprised by a lot of this.

I wish Cryptic had learned with CO. In Champions, they had 50 skillion stats. You kinda sorta not really new what eact one did, and you knew that you could make ANY of them scale direct to damage. But which ones do you make supers? What do you stack? They said certain archetypes were best used with certain stats, but why? The desscriptions I've read in MANY places about the skill system in STO seem to be the same thing all over again.

And the ship movement stuff...I'm kinda glad at the same time as being annoyed. That means the ships are moving realistically (look, you're not turning something that's hundreds of meters long on a dime, get over it), but at the same time it's cumbersome from a gaming pov.

Originally posted by terrant

And the ship movement stuff...I'm kinda glad at the same time as being annoyed. That means the ships are moving realistically (look, you're not turning something that's hundreds of meters long on a dime, get over it), but at the same time it's cumbersome from a gaming pov.

Actually, I like slow turning, as it requires planning your moves in advance - rather than just reacting.

The only really bad aspect of the ship combat for me (from what I have heard) is the lack of damage from collisions. I really don't want to play bumper cars in space.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

To the OP, nice write-up, ty for the efforts.  Remember one thing though, don't pet your Tribble too long or you might go blind. :P

I'm about to start beta, wish me luck!

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter
    Originally posted by terrant And the ship movement stuff...I'm kinda glad at the same time as being annoyed. That means the ships are moving realistically (look, you're not turning something that's hundreds of meters long on a dime, get over it), but at the same time it's cumbersome from a gaming pov.
    Actually, I like slow turning, as it requires planning your moves in advance - rather than just reacting.
    The only really bad aspect of the ship combat for me (from what I have heard) is the lack of damage from collisions. I really don't want to play bumper cars in space.

On the other side a bored being could easily abuse it in PvP or pick-up group play: pimp your shield and armor to max (if possible) and then just ram through your allies.
    Originally posted by Herodes

On the other side a bored being could easily abuse it in PvP or pick-up group play: pimp your shield and armor to max (if possible) and then just ram through your allies.

Then have it only apply to enemy ships. Or turn off friendly collision altogether.

Even giving weapons minimum ranges would remove a lot of the collisions. Don't know if they already have that.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Herodes

Then have it only apply to enemy ships. Or turn off friendly collision altogether.

Even giving weapons minimum ranges would remove a lot of the collisions. Don't know if they already have that.

Friendly collision really isn't in the game, if you hit a friendly, you will kinda go under or over them. Now, All hands abandon ship, that power will affect all of people. Basically you initiate a warp core breach and your ship explodes. If your in a newbie area with a lot of ships around you, the explosion can basically kill everyone there. That will be the one that gets fixed to where you cant use it outside of a mission lol

• ForlakForlak Member UncommonPosts: 5

Nice review, thanks.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Friendly collision really isn't in the game, if you hit a friendly, you will kinda go under or over them. Now, All hands abandon ship, that power will affect all of people. Basically you initiate a warp core breach and your ship explodes. If your in a newbie area with a lot of ships around you, the explosion can basically kill everyone there. That will be the one that gets fixed to where you cant use it outside of a mission lol

Hmmm...I'm not sure if you should have shared that info for me to read.

Nice review by the way. 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ReeperReeper Member UncommonPosts: 121

Well i found the ship movement agrivating, but still realistic, the slow turning works well with the sheild layout, protecting and targetting the sheild forces you to move, to stay on Target or bring other sheilds to bear the brunt of the attack while damaged sheilds have time to recharge.

I dont see a real easy way to implement the Shared Bridge of a Ship, who gets to be the Capt, science officer, Tactical, Expendable crew member? although it would add another degree of play.

I hope to see Additions to the game that add REAL exploration a posability.

Originally posted by Reeper

Well i found the ship movement agrivating, but still realistic, the slow turning works well with the sheild layout, protecting and targetting the sheild forces you to move, to stay on Target or bring other sheilds to bear the brunt of the attack while damaged sheilds have time to recharge.
          I dont see a real easy way to implement the Shared Bridge of a Ship, who gets to be the Capt, science officer, Tactical, Expendable crew member? although it would add another degree of play.
        I hope to see Additions to the game that add REAL exploration a posability.

Ya know, one of the things I wanted was to be in the captains chair and doing this fighting from the bridge and having it all on screen. After playing it, I don't think there is any way they could do that with the way the flight mechanics are in the game. You would hardly ever see the ship actually on it due to all the turning your doing vs all the turning the enemy is doing. I just dont see it ever being able to work like that. The problem with REAL exploration and it being an MMO game is that if you are not in that top few % of high levels, everything will already be explored by the time you get there. That is where I think the instanced stuff is going to make better sense for exploration. Even if it has been explored, it hasn't been explored in your world and you will still be the first one there.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Good review and well written

I must however disagree, if this is your first MMO then I can see why you say the things you say. If this is your second or third MMO then I can only assume you are easily pleased.

If you have been around this industry from the start like many on this site have. Then you will discover that STO is an insult to both MMO players and ST fans in equal measure. All you have to do is play it for say..... 5 minutes...

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Originally posted by Razorback

I must however disagree, if this is your first MMO then I can see why you say the things you say. If this is your second or third MMO then I can only assume you are easily pleased.
    If you have been around this industry from the start like many on this site have. Then you will discover that STO is an insult to both MMO players and ST fans in equal measure. All you have to do is play it for say..... 5 minutes...

I have been playing MMO's since meridean59 first started so I am going to say that I have played a lot of MMOs and am a seasoned vet when it comes to MMO's. I am not easily pleased as you are trying to suggest, but I am also taking many things into consideration when I gave my review of this game. There are lots of bugs in there, the game still needs a heck of a lot of polish to it, but those things are minor in the grand scheme of things. There are no game stopping bugs that I have seen that screams this game will fail if this doesn't get fixed. I mean, what they have done in 2 years is pretty dang nice. Would it have been a lot better if they waited 4 years? Im sure it would have and you know what, I am betting in 2 more years it will be EVEN better. You just have to be willing to grow with it as it matures.

The thing is, this is not what I would call a normal MMO and I am ok with that. It is a mixture of many things and that makes it different, not bad. As I said, there are going to be lots of folks that dont like it and there will be lots that do, but you cant go into this game with the average mmo mentality of, got to level as fast as I can. This game really gives off the feel of star trek and it allows you to feel like you are part of starfleet. This is not a power gamers game at all. It doesn't even take a role play mindset, it just requires you to be open to something different and somewhat unique. Im sorry you were not able to see that but you are more than welcome to your opinion.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Dugath

I kind of have to disagree with you on the sound part.. to me, the sound seems... replicated, not "true" star trek. The voice acting what little there was in my 1 hour of playing.. was horrible.

maybe if I play with my sound, it will sound better to me then (maybe it is too low for me to hear it properly, nothing can fix that voice acting though) , more sound effect less enviroment perhaps, I will see when it lets me back on.  (can not believe it logged me off the game because the map was full lol)

What would have been cool for me, is right in the begining when you first get into your ship and the Borg do thier "we are the borg" speech it would have been a lot better imo if all other sound cut out and it was nice and loud, then then have it cut out back to regular sounds (but thats just me lol)

It is as if you read my mind as this is excactly what I was about to write.

We have this voice, okay it's a guiding voice to give you.......guidens, but it's kinda untrek like, then the borg...what.....I need to read they are borg from the text message above their head saying things that really should be heard?..

I will give the game some more time but it's minor things like that that indeed made me stop playing for now.

Also it's supose to be a MMORPG, so why is it all about combat? arn't multiplayer games pure for combat purpose and shoulndn't MMORPG go beyond just a combat oriented game?

Anyway hope those who stick to the game will enjoy it, even tho I am a Star Trek fan the game at this moment didn't move me. Hope one day it might. But I also need to admit that Cryptic never satisfied my MMORPG needs as all their games are too combat oriented, where this niche MMORPG player in me wants a greater experiance then what I can get out of multiplayer games.

I will say that the game did look pretty good, but that aint the selling point for me to get a game, obviously it counts, but for a MMORPG I expect allot more, hope one day it might come closer to my expectations which seeing a game being made by a A-Company should have been better. I mean it's not like Cryptic is a indie developers are they now....

Also thanks for the read OP was nicely written and hope it helps those who do want to play the game, Enjoy....

Originally posted by Reklaw

Originally posted by Dugath

I kind of have to disagree with you on the sound part.. to me, the sound seems... replicated, not "true" star trek. The voice acting what little there was in my 1 hour of playing.. was horrible.

maybe if I play with my sound, it will sound better to me then (maybe it is too low for me to hear it properly, nothing can fix that voice acting though) , more sound effect less enviroment perhaps, I will see when it lets me back on.  (can not believe it logged me off the game because the map was full lol)

What would have been cool for me, is right in the begining when you first get into your ship and the Borg do thier "we are the borg" speech it would have been a lot better imo if all other sound cut out and it was nice and loud, then then have it cut out back to regular sounds (but thats just me lol)

It is as if you read my mind as this is excactly what I was about to write.

We have this voice, okay it's a guiding voice to give you.......guidens, but it's kinda untrek like, then the borg...what.....I need to read they are borg from the text message above their head saying things that really should be heard?..

I will give the game some more time but it's minor things like that that indeed made me stop playing for now.

Also it's supose to be a MMORPG, so why is it all about combat? arn't multiplayer games pure for combat purpose and shoulndn't MMORPG go beyond just a combat oriented game?

Yes. Absolutely. Mythic made the mistake of making Warhammer Online "a game, not a world." (their own words).

Ya know, I decided that I was going to elaborate a little bit more on my comment about this game being different than your standard mmo. I think if I had to classify this game, another company a long time ago came out with a classification that I think fits STO better and that is CORPG. Co-operative Online Role Playing Game. The reason I would classify it as such is due to the amount of instancing in the game. There are a few games that I would classify under this title.

DDO, COH/COV, CO, and the one that started it all, Guild Wars. In every single one of them, every part of the game is instanced and I think this is the common factor of why you can't really classify them as MMORPG's. Sure they may handle thousands of players but I don't really qualify that as the classic mmorpg style. And I think this may be one of the big reasons some people have problems with STO. Again, this is not what I would call a bad thing, its simply different than your standard mmo and there are a lot of people that dont like that much instancing. So this may be another thing that you will want to consider about STO. If your not open for that type of game play, you will probably not like this game.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Ya know, I decided that I was going to elaborate a little bit more on my comment about this game being different than your standard mmo. I think if I had to classify this game, another company a long time ago came out with a classification that I think fits STO better and that is CORPG. Co-operative Online Role Playing Game. The reason I would classify it as such is due to the amount of instancing in the game. There are a few games that I would classify under this title.
    DDO, COH/COV, CO, and the one that started it all, Guild Wars. In every single one of them, every part of the game is instanced and I think this is the common factor of why you can't really classify them as MMORPG's. Sure they may handle thousands of players but I don't really qualify that as the classic mmorpg style. And I think this may be one of the big reasons some people have problems with STO. Again, this is not what I would call a bad thing, its simply different than your standard mmo and there are a lot of people that dont like that much instancing. So this may be another thing that you will want to consider about STO. If your not open for that type of game play, you will probably not like this game.

I will have to disagree about CoH being entirely instanced. It is not. Quests are instanced, but there is a large game world where people team up and do stuff, outside of the quests. I've done lots of grinding/farming in the open world, with people zooming by all the time. The sewer network (early "dungeon") is open to all, not instanced. Or you hear "Monster sighted at XXX" and everyone in the world tries to get to XXX to kill the monster, and XXX is not an instance.

I just downloaded STO, so don't know yet .... does STO have open areas where you can go where you want and kill stuff, without any quests? Are those areas open to all together? Are there chances to group up, like against monsters in CoH, in the open areas? Or is it all instanced quests with no open world?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by olepi

I will have to disagree about CoH being entirely instanced. It is not. Quests are instanced, but there is a large game world where people team up and do stuff, outside of the quests. I've done lots of grinding/farming in the open world, with people zooming by all the time. The sewer network (early "dungeon") is open to all, not instanced. Or you hear "Monster sighted at XXX" and everyone in the world tries to get to XXX to kill the monster, and XXX is not an instance.

I just downloaded STO, so don't know yet .... does STO have open areas where you can go where you want and kill stuff, without any quests? Are those areas open to all together? Are there chances to group up, like against monsters in CoH, in the open areas? Or is it all instanced quests with no open world?

All areas of the game are instanced. Just like COH. While coh doesn't feel like it is instanced, it is. It may simply be that there isn't enough folks on to force it to create more. All open areas of COH does in fact instance itself when they get enough people in a zone.

As for STO. it is the same way with the exception of the instances holding less people. The open world would be just like coh, you have sector space which contains systems and also contains randomly moving enemy contacts. Which anyone can go into these areas and group up. You can even go into systems without having a quest and there might actually be one there when you show up.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Decent enough review, im enjoying the game well enough thus far, and will continue to play as long as I do.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

Star Trek Online

See sig.  Points 4, 5, 6 & 8 apply.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Razorback

but I think that is where you are making your mistake.

They are not targeting Trekkies and Trekkers. Those people are very hard to please and rightly so as they know the canon inside and out.

and I don't really believe they are targeting "mmo players". That is assuming that by saying that all mmo players want the same thing. I'm pretty sure they don't.

I think they are targeting people who like Star Trek, who wouldn't mind playing in an online setting and who don't have a laundry list of things that a good mmo should have.

They are targeting people who just want to play a Star Trek game. Not people who have every episode who memorized and know the layout of the ships. Or die hard mmo players who, again, have that list "if it doesn't have this then it's not an mmo... if it doesn't have that it's not an mmo".

the thing is, regular people don't care. They really don't care about the pillars of what makes an mmo. They just want to play a game that is fun.

Whe we were younger and video games were not all that in vogue, we didn't necessarily disect every one that came out. If something was fun we played it. We didn't say "it doesn't represent this type of game well or it doesn't bring anything new to the table". We just played and enjoyed ourselves.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo