Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA Dropped; beta info here

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Strap

This is one of the most helpful posts in this thread (though the OP was informative too). It is very good news IMO because the less people in the game who don't read quest text the better. I'm looking forward to getting involved in STO.

I have heard that there are some missions which require answering questions related to previous text, which really appeals to me.

Two positive posts about the game in the same thread? Hell must be freezing over ;)

I'm not in Beta so if you want my opinion of the game you'll have to wait until after launch.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Two positive posts about the game in the same thread? Hell must be freezing over ;)

Like I said - I praise what I like and criticize what I don't.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by Strap

This is one of the most helpful posts in this thread (though the OP was informative too). It is very good news IMO because the less people in the game who don't read quest text the better. I'm looking forward to getting involved in STO.

I have heard that there are some missions which require answering questions related to previous text, which really appeals to me.

ya there is, one quest i did, had me talk to five miners, and find out what they were bitching about, and then when i went back to the main guy, he asked me five questions about what they wanted to make the job and life better.

Originally posted by mokoleus
    ya there is, one quest i did, had me talk to five miners, and find out what they were bitching about, and then when i went back to the main guy, he asked me five questions about what they wanted to make the job and life better.

Nice. That's good content.

Not that websites won't be listing all the answers for the slackers.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

haha, true enough

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Blurr

Firstly I want to say that I've been playing MMOs since before it was even really a genre, and frankly, STO is about the best we could have hoped for in a Star Trek MMO.

Jebus, you really set your standards low.  I was in the beta as well, and this game leaves a lot to be desired.  I wouldn't call it bad, but its a damn long shot from "the best we could have hoped for".  Kinda invalidates anything you have to say in my opinion.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I'll never understand that. What's the point of paying to play a game with a cheat sheet? I guess some people HAVE to reach end game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KnightsoulKnightsoul Member UncommonPosts: 31

I know I won't be able to sleep at night if I don't get an answer: what are BOFFS ?!?!?  

• TruethTrueth Member Posts: 287

How in the sam hell could you loot a tribble and now know what was going to happen?

Originally posted by ktanner3

I'll never understand that. What's the point of paying to play a game with a cheat sheet? I guess some people HAVE to reach end game.

I don't know. Some petty sense of accomplishment - even though they didn't 'earn' it in any way.

I remember pausing during an instance run in WoW, while the leader read up on the next boss fight. Not adventurous at all, in my book. The best dungeon run I ever had in WoW was a PUG where none of us had done the particular dungeon before. We figured out each fight as we went along. That was a LOT of fun.

Always hated high level characters giving lowbies dungeon runthroughs to power level them, too. That's not playing the game.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by ianicus

Originally posted by Burntvet

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

This may have been the Star Trek MMO Blurr dreamed of, and I respect that. That said, I've been playing MMOs for as long if not longer than Blurr and he most certainly doesn't speak for me when he made the statement STO is the best we could have hoped for in a Star Trek MMO. My hopes and expectations were certainly "detailed".

I've been playing since they started so I'm afraid we'd have to settle for "as long as" :P

I will be the first to say that not every MMO is for every person. Heck not even every Star Trek is for every Trekker. I personally loved Enterprise and Voyager the most. Other people didn't like em that much, from what I've heard. I have no problem with you not liking STO, and I'm sure the reasons you have are very vaild for you. For me they're different, but it would be insane of me to expect you like the same things I do.

This is precisely one of the reasons I say that STO is about the best ST mmo we could have hoped for. There's no way we could please anyone, and there's no way Cryptic could do everything they want to. I think this achieves the closest balance to what will please the most people, while still being possible with today's technology.

Think of it like the Lord of the Rings. Not everyone who liked the book liked the movie. There was no way to make the movie exactly like the book really, either. They did do an excellent job though, and the majority of people who liked the book also had fun watching the movie. I think that's the best they could have hoped for in the same way.

What a complete copout.

More like, "This Star Trek game is not for people that like Star Trek games." I played many over the years and a few hours with a friends beta key was enough to convince me. All 5 of the friends that have played the STO beta, and have played other ST games, like me are not going to buy this game.

Cryptic did what Cryptic does: They quickly made a shallow game that is long on flash and short on depth. Heavy on instanced everything, and short on anything resembling complexity or anything that would take time to do well. Economy? Crafting? Non-Combat play? All of those take more thought than clicky and pew pew to do well.

This is Star Champions Trek Online. They did it fast, cheap, and with a minimum of creativity.

But then, that seems to be Craptics business model.

If this is the best Cryptic can do, it ain't good enough....

Sorry bub, this is better than Champs, bar none. YOU obviously have a huge bias towards cryptic, good for you, my troll-o-meter just busted pass 60000!!!!

Fanbois, do not a good game make.

Giving Cryptic a free pass by saying "This is the best ST MMO we are going to get" is giving them a free pass to use the same recycled crap from their last game without being called on it.

I tried it, the game ain't that good.

And all the fanboi hype, personal attacks and spin are not going to change that...

Nice try tho......

Originally posted by Trueth

How in the sam hell could you loot a tribble and now know what was going to happen?

LOL. For sure, if you know the show. I just watched it this afternoon, BTW.

I wonder if you can use them to scare Klingons?

Originally posted by Knightsoul

I know I won't be able to sleep at night if I don't get an answer: what are BOFFS ?!?!?  

Bridge OFFicers.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by comerb

Firstly I want to say that I've been playing MMOs since before it was even really a genre, and frankly, STO is about the best we could have hoped for in a Star Trek MMO.

Jebus, you really set your standards low.  I was in the beta as well, and this game leaves a lot to be desired.  I wouldn't call it bad, but its a damn long shot from "the best we could have hoped for".  Kinda invalidates anything you have to say in my opinion.

"Best we could have hoped for" doesn't invalidate "I wouldn't call it bad".

They seem congrous

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath 
    "Best we could have hoped for" doesn't invalidate "I wouldn't call it bad".
    They seem congrous

Possible, but clearly not what Blurr meant. Also clear is that I strongly disagree. It could have been much better.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Its not much, but 15 second respawn timer, your ship doesn't come back quite at full health and you will lose crew members. Crew members are going to be the big thing. They are what repairs your ship during and after combat. Crew members do not come back. The only way to get them is to go back to a starbase and hire more. And they can get very expensive! So, while you don't lose a lot, you could potentially lose a lot of money if you go on suicide runs.

Now this is interesting.   Sounds like a clever twist on the death penalty.  Much depends on just how easy it is to make money ingame.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

Good info.  Keep it coming, please

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

You know, I knew what a tribble was (I even had a toy tribble as a kid, till my brother hit it with a baseball bat, long story), but when I got it ingame, I didn't think they'd actually go to the extent of making them eat all your food and multiply like that. I was just really impressed with the attention to detail on this and other things. It was just one of those "Cool!" moments I had to share.

Yes "boffs" are Bridge Officers, the AI crew you get.

As far as this being the "best ST we could get", note that I do say with our current technology and market. I realize some people have a "perfect" idea of what a ST MMO should be like. Heck even I have one, and STO is not "perfect" in that way either. But you have to see common sense and realize that it would be impossible to do everyone's version of "perfect" or in fact, anyones version of "perfect". Some people, though, want perfect and will accept nothing less. Unfortunately those people will get nothing. If you can take the concessions they've had to make, then you'll probably enjoy STO a lot. If you're a "purist", you may not like STO as much, but I highly doubt we'll get anything better barring a STO2. Go tell Cryptic (ie not these forums) what you want in the game and you can be sure they will at least listen, even if they politely refuse.

For people who say my standards must be "low", well I would simply say that I'm a realist. This is what we've got. We can tell Cryptic what we want in/changed, but they are the developers and we are not. The game is fun as the majority of people will tell you, so why not enjoy it rather than chasing after something that'll never happen. I may want Megan Fox to fall in love with me AND be intelligent, but the odds on either of those (let alone both) are pretty low, though that doesn't mean I can't have an enjoyable life with someone I actually meet.

The game is fun, it feels like star trek, and it's here right now. That's all I really need to know, the rest of the stuff is just icing on the cake.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

I don't know. Some petty sense of accomplishment - even though they didn't 'earn' it in any way.
    I remember pausing during an instance run in WoW, while the leader read up on the next boss fight. Not adventurous at all, in my book. The best dungeon run I ever had in WoW was a PUG where none of us had done the particular dungeon before. We figured out each fight as we went along. That was a LOT of fun.
    Always hated high level characters giving lowbies dungeon runthroughs to power level them, too. That's not playing the game.

Indeed, on a side note, one of the best raids I ever did was after they just redid the Plane of Hate in EQ1. There was a new/reworked boss called The Maestro, and when we tried him we wiped hardcore. I managed to figure out the strategy for us to beat him, so I got first pick of the loot he dropped. Possibly one of my favourite gaming memories ever.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by tman5

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Its not much, but 15 second respawn timer, your ship doesn't come back quite at full health and you will lose crew members. Crew members are going to be the big thing. They are what repairs your ship during and after combat. Crew members do not come back. The only way to get them is to go back to a starbase and hire more. And they can get very expensive! So, while you don't lose a lot, you could potentially lose a lot of money if you go on suicide runs.

Now this is interesting.   Sounds like a clever twist on the death penalty.  Much depends on just how easy it is to make money ingame.

When I got my first ship past the maranda, I had only bought like 3 things that was worth less than 1000 credits. And I pretty much just sold most of the stuff I had to the vendor. When I got my next ship, I went and upgraded the weapons on it, 2 phasers and 2 torps all to mark 3 versions and I was almost completely broke. So money comes kinda easily, but it goes away just as easily.

Originally posted by tman5

IP break, though. Federation captains don't buy their crew.

All those IP breaks really add up for me. How can I enjoy a game if every other mechanic in it screams "not Trek"?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Fanbois, do not a good game make.
    Giving Cryptic a free pass by saying "This is the best ST MMO we are going to get" is giving them a free pass to use the same recycled crap from their last game without being called on it.
    I tried it, the game ain't that good.
    And all the fanboi hype, personal attacks and spin are not going to change that...
    Nice try tho......

Well if your experience was different, explain how it was. What exactly is "not so good" about the game?

Whether you feel the OP is a fanboi or not, has no bearing on what makes the game bad. You wouldn't want to give cryptic a "free pass" on where they went wrong would you?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I may want Megan Fox to fall in love with me

See? Even there, your standards are low. She's okay, but If I was dreaming, it would be about Jessica Alba.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

See? Even there, your standards are low. She's okay, but If I was dreaming, it would be about Jessica Alba.

Brunette's > Blondes

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Malickie

Brunette's > Blondes

Hey, lets be honest, I'd take either one (loved Dark Angel) :P