Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA Dropped; beta info here

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01 
    There is even an abandon ship manuever that will cause your warp core to explode and blow up your ship, at least its there for now, I could see that one getting taken out of the game.

I would hope so. Considering that there is virtually no penalty for losing your ship. I could see suicide runs being a standard tactic.

What exactly IS the penalty for losing your ship, anyway?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by jessian

Originally posted by Blurr

Originally posted by Zekiah

Thanks for the info.
    My question is, outside of Tribbles that everyone seems to be interested in, what about depth and immersion? From what I understand there's no crafting, is that right? I also hear that the game missions get old quickly. So what exactly is the catch? What's going to hold my interest after a month of play?

It's pretty evident you've made up your mind already, so lets not play these little forum games, shall we?

If anyone has any actual questions on beta or game systems and whatnot, feel free to post them.

One question i have for you Blur is in the misisons / Grouping side of it

My brother and i will be buying this on launch day. now my question is simple.

Can players do the same missions grouped as a Fleet or are they solo?

You can group and do missions together, no problem. Keep this in mind though, when there is 2 captains, there is going to be 1 less npc crew member coming down on the mission with you. So choose your classes carefully for ground combat. Make sure they compliment each other or it could be rough in terms of survivability. This goes with more than 2 captains. You get a full group of 5 captains going down, the captains are going to have to do the healing and the shield regens and whatnot.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

And BTW, I'm not just trying to bash the game. I'm a big ST fan and want this game to be a success but I've been burned numerous times over the years with empty promises and shallow games. I really want this to be my next game but unless I hear about something catchy, I'll have to wait to see if the game develops.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

There is even an abandon ship manuever that will cause your warp core to explode and blow up your ship, at least its there for now, I could see that one getting taken out of the game.

I would hope so. Considering that there is virtually no penalty for losing your ship. I could see suicide runs being a standard tactic.

A short lived penalty to ship stats if I remember correctly. I haven't played in a week (was on holiday in the caribbean) though so it may have changed. Most times by the time you get back to the fight area the penalty is gone.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Sounds like a dev attitude, there, frankly. Not going to answer uncomfortable questions?
    Let me ask: what is the crafting like? How does it work? Is it grindy? How useful is it, and can you make things that other players will want?

Err, I did answer his questions, but as you can see, he's posted again with his mind already made up. I knew what was trying to do (and frankly you should have too), cause people accuse you of it often enough.

I would like to get this out of the way though, Doubter, since you like to imply it often enough against me. I am not, nor have I ever been a Cryptic Employee, nor affiliated with Cryptic in any way/shape/form other than as a regular player (and beta tester) of their games with the same access and fees anyone on this forum has access to. Despite the fact that you try to imply I'm a dev to try and discount (my) opinions you don't like.

As I said, I haven't really dealt with crafting. Essentially there is no crafting 'leveling' as far as I can tell. You go to the right NPC with the right ingredients and they will make something for you. There was also mention of something about experimentation on items to improve them, but I have only glanced at the crafting system in passing. I assume you can make things other players will want. It isn't grindy because there's nothing to grind really, nor any reason to.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

Its not much, but 15 second respawn timer, your ship doesn't come back quite at full health and you will lose crew members. Crew members are going to be the big thing. They are what repairs your ship during and after combat. Crew members do not come back. The only way to get them is to go back to a starbase and hire more. And they can get very expensive! So, while you don't lose a lot, you could potentially lose a lot of money if you go on suicide runs.

You can group and do missions together, no problem. Keep this in mind though, when there is 2 captains, there is going to be 1 less npc crew member coming down on the mission with you. So choose your classes carefully for ground combat. Make sure they compliment each other or it could be rough in terms of survivability. This goes with more than 2 captains. You get a full group of 5 captains going down, the captains are going to have to do the healing and the shield regens and whatnot.

From what you said in your review, it sure sounds like 'group' ground content is going to favour solo players over real groups. Not a plus in my book.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Sounds like a dev attitude, there, frankly. Not going to answer uncomfortable questions?
    Let me ask: what is the crafting like? How does it work? Is it grindy? How useful is it, and can you make things that other players will want?

Err, I did answer his questions, but as you can see, he's posted again with his mind already made up. I knew what was trying to do (and frankly you should have too), cause people accuse you of it often enough.

No it's not, I'm trying to get you to convince me but you're doing a poor job.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

From what you said in your review, it sure sounds like 'group' ground content is going to favour solo players over real groups. Not a plus in my book.

I was in a full group of 5 captains once. We did the mission ok but had 2 casualties along the way, but it was due to people running off trying to do their own thing. Here is the thing about group though. When you party, the spawns get larger and nastier. So it is a challenge for groups. But if you mostly solo then you group up with others, well you might forget that you ACTUALLY have to play the class that you picked and are not really the leader of the away team anymore.

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

This may have been the Star Trek MMO Blurr dreamed of, and I respect that. That said, I've been playing MMOs for as long if not longer than Blurr and he most certainly doesn't speak for me when he made the statement STO is the best we could have hoped for in a Star Trek MMO. My hopes and expectations were certainly "detailed".

I've been playing since they started so I'm afraid we'd have to settle for "as long as" :P

I will be the first to say that not every MMO is for every person. Heck not even every Star Trek is for every Trekker. I personally loved Enterprise and Voyager the most. Other people didn't like em that much, from what I've heard. I have no problem with you not liking STO, and I'm sure the reasons you have are very vaild for you. For me they're different, but it would be insane of me to expect you like the same things I do.

This is precisely one of the reasons I say that STO is about the best ST mmo we could have hoped for. There's no way we could please anyone, and there's no way Cryptic could do everything they want to. I think this achieves the closest balance to what will please the most people, while still being possible with today's technology.

Think of it like the Lord of the Rings. Not everyone who liked the book liked the movie. There was no way to make the movie exactly like the book really, either. They did do an excellent job though, and the majority of people who liked the book also had fun watching the movie. I think that's the best they could have hoped for in the same way.

Originally posted by jessian

One question i have for you Blur is in the misisons / Grouping side of it
    My brother and i will be buying this on launch day. now my question is simple.
    Can players do the same missions grouped as a Fleet or are they solo?

You can do the same missions together, and frankly I find it more fun. I've got a friend who I plan to play STO with because it's just that much cooler having two of you running around doing the missions together. Heck even if you've already done a mission you can go back in and help a friend. On the last day of closed beta my friend was doing a solo mission that was too hard for him, so I came in to help him at the end of the mission and then he joined up into mine where I was having trouble, haha.

So in short, yes you can do missions together. I'm sure if you like STO you and your brother will have a ton of fun flying together.

Thanks for the info.
    My question is, outside of Tribbles that everyone seems to be interested in, what about depth and immersion? From what I understand there's no crafting, is that right? I also hear that the game missions get old quickly. So what exactly is the catch? What's going to hold my interest after a month of play?

Ok Zekiah, I will take a stab at this for you.

Cant talk about crafting as I didn't really do anything with it. Just like any mmo, there are tons of missions and just like most mmo's, many of them are usually boring and tedious. But what I found in STO was that, if you like the lore, if you enjoyed the tv shows, if you dont mind reading (they really need a lot more voices in this game), then when your doing these missions, you feel that you are a part of starfleet. Your leading an away team to go rescue the scientist that was kidnapped or catching a thief, or even more, the plot line to the over all story is carried through out the missions. If your the type of person that runs up, clicks on the mission, doesn't read it and just say ok and take it, your not going to like this game. This game is about taking the time to read why your doing this and why the war is happening and so on. Its like your in the tv show only without the really good acting of the casts.

What will keep you playing is to continue the story, learning more about the universe that your in and why things are the way they are. Again, if you don't like reading the quests and just go kill x number of these and bring Y number of these to me, then your going to be bored with the quests quickly. Hopefully that helps to answer a part of your question.

Honestly I'd actually say that having living group members is better than having your AI bridge officers (boffs) around. Where the boffs do a pretty good job, a human player will be able to do tactics and stuff that your AI guys can only kinda match. For example, if your friend has an 'exploit' ability and you have an 'expose', you both know that you'll use your exploit to open up the enemy and he can use the exploit to do massive damage. This doesn't work quite as well with AIs cause they don't do their exposes as regularly as you'd hope, whereas you would know to save your exploit attack with a friend when you knew he was going to expose every time.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

This may have been the Star Trek MMO Blurr dreamed of, and I respect that. That said, I've been playing MMOs for as long if not longer than Blurr and he most certainly doesn't speak for me when he made the statement STO is the best we could have hoped for in a Star Trek MMO. My hopes and expectations were certainly "detailed".

I've been playing since they started so I'm afraid we'd have to settle for "as long as" :P

I will be the first to say that not every MMO is for every person. Heck not even every Star Trek is for every Trekker. I personally loved Enterprise and Voyager the most. Other people didn't like em that much, from what I've heard. I have no problem with you not liking STO, and I'm sure the reasons you have are very vaild for you. For me they're different, but it would be insane of me to expect you like the same things I do.

This is precisely one of the reasons I say that STO is about the best ST mmo we could have hoped for. There's no way we could please anyone, and there's no way Cryptic could do everything they want to. I think this achieves the closest balance to what will please the most people, while still being possible with today's technology.

Think of it like the Lord of the Rings. Not everyone who liked the book liked the movie. There was no way to make the movie exactly like the book really, either. They did do an excellent job though, and the majority of people who liked the book also had fun watching the movie. I think that's the best they could have hoped for in the same way.

What a complete copout.

More like, "This Star Trek game is not for people that like Star Trek games." I played many over the years and a few hours with a friends beta key was enough to convince me. All 5 of the friends that have played the STO beta, and have played other ST games, like me are not going to buy this game.

Cryptic did what Cryptic does: They quickly made a shallow game that is long on flash and short on depth. Heavy on instanced everything, and short on anything resembling complexity or anything that would take time to do well. Economy? Crafting? Non-Combat play? All of those take more thought than clicky and pew pew to do well.

This is Star Champions Trek Online. They did it fast, cheap, and with a minimum of creativity.

But then, that seems to be Craptics business model.

If this is the best Cryptic can do, it ain't good enough....

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Oh, I hear what you're saying. For the record if anyone saw any "hostility" in my first post then I apologize as it was not my intent. Anyone who has ever liked Star Trek in any bit should give the game a try to see if it's for them. Most assuredly every MMO isn't for every gamer and this one turned out not to be one for me. I did, however, submit bug reports, so I didn't just totally abuse my beta privilege, hehe.

Should Cryptic add full episodic pve content for Klingons I might reconsider (even despite the 360 turning thing and the item shop). I have a feeling, though, that by the time they do this I'll hopefully be in Final Fantasy Beta and/or WOrld of Darkness Online beta so I doubt I will be purchasing this product at all.

That said, I wish it health and that it lives long and its players prosper.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Cant talk about crafting as I didn't really do anything with it.

I'm going to ask you, and Blurr, and Ktanner to try out the crafting, so we can get a good impression of it.

My download is taking forever, so it might well be two days before I can even begin.

Honestly I'd actually say that having living group members is better than having your AI bridge officers (boffs) around. Where the boffs do a pretty good job, a human player will be able to do tactics and stuff that your AI guys can only kinda match. For example, if your friend has an 'exploit' ability and you have an 'expose', you both know that you'll use your exploit to open up the enemy and he can use the exploit to do massive damage. This doesn't work quite as well with AIs cause they don't do their exposes as regularly as you'd hope, whereas you would know to save your exploit attack with a friend when you knew he was going to expose every time.

Yes I would agree with the entire exploit and expose for groups. in my 5 man mission, we did that a lot and let me tell you, those bonus damages are HUGE.  The only thing I feel that should have been in the game is voice chat. In a game like this, you don't have a lot of time to type stuff. So having a built in voice program would have made things much easier.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by hidden1

What about my question earlier?
    I'm at 85% downlaod on steam, and can't wait to try beta.  My question was legit.

Sorry I was writing out a big long post (see above) haha. As far as I know there is no "mini-warp" maneuver, but there is an ability called "Evasive Maneuvers" which everyone gets, and what it'll do is make you really fast and maneuverable for a short time. So what you could do is go into a head-on fight with someone, and then when they least expect it, hit evasive maneuvers and skim right past them so now you're shooting your rear weapons at his aft!

Thanks Blurr, appreciate the response! Who knows, maybe in a future update they might implement this as a skill you earn near end-game... could be that it might make for interesting strategies during combat (either pve or pvp).  Well I'll cross my fingers, but if not, no biggie then.

Thanks for the info.

Cant talk about crafting as I didn't really do anything with it. Just like any mmo, there are tons of missions and just like most mmo's, many of them are usually boring and tedious. But what I found in STO was that, if you like the lore, if you enjoyed the tv shows, if you dont mind reading (they really need a lot more voices in this game), then when your doing these missions, you feel that you are a part of starfleet. Your leading an away team to go rescue the scientist that was kidnapped or catching a thief, or even more, the plot line to the over all story is carried through out the missions. If your the type of person that runs up, clicks on the mission, doesn't read it and just say ok and take it, your not going to like this game. This game is about taking the time to read why your doing this and why the war is happening and so on. Its like your in the tv show only without the really good acting of the casts.

What will keep you playing is to continue the story, learning more about the universe that your in and why things are the way they are. Again, if you don't like reading the quests and just go kill x number of these and bring Y number of these to me, then your going to be bored with the quests quickly. Hopefully that helps to answer a part of your question.

Thanks for the info. I love the lore and what you said does interest me. But I'm concerned that I'd be buying another Warhammer type instead of a SWG type. I'm looking for more depth than bling, if that makes sense. I'm all for the lore but I just don't think that's going to keep me coming back after running all the missions. And the PvP scenario queue makes me very nervous. It sounds like a good idea on paper but it really isn't. Warhammer had the same thing and although it was convenient, it totally destroyed the community/immersive feeling. It also seems like the crafting isn't that deep which although I'm not a die hard crafter, I do like to mix things up when I get tired of running missions. But thanks for the info. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can because I refuse to drop another wad of cash on something I'm not going to enjoy past a month. I'm very careful these days given the recent MMO history.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. I love the lore and what you said does interest me. But I'm concerned that I'd be buying another Warhammer type instead of a SWG type. I'm looking for more depth than bling, if that makes sense. I'm all for the lore but I just don't think that's going to keep me coming back after running all the missions. And the PvP scenario queue makes me very nervous. It sounds like a good idea on paper but it really isn't. Warhammer had the same thing and although it was convenient, it totally destroyed the community/immersive feeling. It also seems like the crafting isn't that deep which although I'm not a die hard crafter, I do like to mix things up when I get tired of running missions. But thanks for the info. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can because I refuse to drop another wad of cash on something I'm not going to enjoy past a month. I'm very careful these days given the recent MMO history.

Now I dont know what kind of gamer you are. Are you a power gamer that plays 8-10 hours a day and 24/7 on the weekends? then I doubt they would have enough content for you, but I have yet to see an mmo launch that did because they really arent meant to be played like that. I can say this. I had around 32 hours in beta and I barely scratched the surface of the lore. I also want to mention that I like how they did the story. I was surprised when I seen naomi wildman as the commander of the K7 space station. I was standing in front of her and I wanted to yell, I cant believe its you, I watched you grow up on voyager! its little things like that, and they are spread out all over the place. The Briar patch? OMG, it is much worse than what it appeared to be on the shows. All the lore references that cross over all the star trek tv shows. It is a trekkies dream as long as they are open to change. This is the future, so things are not staying the way they were. Thats why we say sto is not for everyone. A non trekie person could have a very good time in the game, but all these little lore references sitting around would get lost on them and have no meaning.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by Burntvet

What a complete copout.

More like, "This Star Trek game is not for people that like Star Trek games." I played many over the years and a few hours with a friends beta key was enough to convince me. All 5 of the friends that have played the STO beta, and have played other ST games, like me are not going to buy this game.

Cryptic did what Cryptic does: They quickly made a shallow game that is long on flash and short on depth. Heavy on instanced everything, and short on anything resembling complexity or anything that would take time to do well. Economy? Crafting? Non-Combat play? All of those take more thought than clicky and pew pew to do well.

This is Star Champions Trek Online. They did it fast, cheap, and with a minimum of creativity.

But then, that seems to be Craptics business model.

If this is the best Cryptic can do, it ain't good enough....

Sorry bub, this is better than Champs, bar none. YOU obviously have a huge bias towards cryptic, good for you, my troll-o-meter just busted pass 60000!!!!

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    Originally posted by ianicus

Sorry bub, this is better than Champs, bar none. YOU obviously have a huge bias towards cryptic, good for you, my troll-o-meter just busted pass 60000!!!!

No no no, you always have to say "over 9000!!!!!"  :D

Originally posted by ianicus

No no no, you always have to say "over 9000!!!!!"  :D

Wow! Now THATS a bargain!

• Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Thanks for the info.

This is one of the most helpful posts in this thread (though the OP was informative too). It is very good news IMO because the less people in the game who don't read quest text the better. I'm looking forward to getting involved in STO.

Originally posted by Strap

This is one of the most helpful posts in this thread (though the OP was informative too). It is very good news IMO because the less people in the game who don't read quest text the better. I'm looking forward to getting involved in STO.

I have heard that there are some missions which require answering questions related to previous text, which really appeals to me.