Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veteran EQ player choosing EQII or WoW...ugh.. Help?!

2»

Comments

• WolfenbaneWolfenbane Member Posts: 48

I can only vouch for EQ2 and say thats very grpahical pretty looking and has all the touches of old Eq to keep the faithful happy enough.

But it has some points in the game that flaw it beyond fun and an overall feeling of "is that it?"..

Solo'ing seems to be order of day as the usual grinders rush to become the 1st at everything, although sometimes as per usual can hit a grp and have a good laugh. Although this is rare. Most times people grp for whatever mob they need and then leave...nice

After you hit lvl 20 is really does leave that bitter taste in ur mouth of "what know?" more of the same over and over is the answer.image

It just lacks a certain something- the social side is strained and the game is just BLECHimage...it hits dead in the middle, doesnt venture into pretty good but neither does it drop to pretty bad. Just BLECHimage..

My advice try WOW this many people cant be wrong, although im not staking my claim to say its the answer...

Hope that helps on one side at least.

• DekothDekoth Member Posts: 474

Its not an easy decision any manner you look at it, I will tell you my experience and my experience.

I have been gaming since meridian 59 came out..yea Ive been playing a long time.

Now as far as EQ, I played it from Phase 2 beta, until just before the release of the GoD expansion. I was in the #2 guild on my server you name it we killed it. I had a massive amount of time tied up into my char max AA, Fully Time equiped, and all attributal skills. I was ranked as one of the top 5 rogues on my server when I left.

EQ2 is what I play currently, there are some definite plus's and some definite negatives. One of the major plus's to me is the heritage quests. I very much enjoy the nostalgia of getting the old EQ uber items, and them being a viable thing to use in this game. Ironically I enjoy questing in this game, Always hated it in EQ. This is a end game raiding oriented game, though it is decidedly different then EQ. ITs geared more to smaller more tactical raiding parties where as EQ was geared more to numbers. Downsides, there is a memory leak currently they are working on fixing that is rather detrimental to performance, its something that can be and will be fixed however it does affect gameplay currently. as far as pushing your video card..Good luck maxing the settings on this game. environment especially once you get away from the newbie areas are stunning. Charcter models..well i honestly do not think much of them, I think FFXI did a far better job. EQ2 they just come off all plasticy and doll like. Combat I am somewhat skeptical about as its pretty dumbed down from EQ, tho the high end content in other areas seems to be making up for it.

WoW I did in beta, my wife plays currently. I didnt care for it. Its a good game But it lacks the end game appeal. There just isnt much to do, and the leveling curve is far too quick for that little to do. wow does have PVP whereas EQ2 doesnt, however I am an old school UO player pre expansion and I cant stand any pvp system that is not purly skill based, so i cant give a fair estimation of its pvp. WoW in my opinion seems to be geared more toward the casual players as you can accomplish a good amount in a short amount of time. This appeals to alot, not my forte. Environmental graphics are loyal to the Warcraft genre, but I do not find them appealing too cartoonish/crayola crayon to me, its a stylistic choice for me, not saying their bad as they are good just not my style. WoW will not push your system, even a midrange pc should be able to run max settings with little trouble. My wife runs a Athlon barton 2700+ on the nforce 2 chipset with a Gig of corsair XMS 4000 ram and a 6800GT. She runs Max settings on everything with no lag. Charcter models..are as horrible as EQ2 just a different style. I do sincerely hate the charcter models in both games..thank god for First person view.

Hopefully that gives you enough information, both games are great games. They are simply distinct in their audience appeal.

Let's not forget what Sony Online Entertainment is doing, they are charging money for questing dungeons. That is sickening, and if you support them, then you are a vile human being.

What an Ignorant statement. They are adding tons of new content free, they will be adding all these dungeons and new zones free partially to all players. The adventure packs are something that players essentially try the expansion before buying it. They allow everyone into the first areas of the zone to experience the content, then if you like it you buy the rest, if you dont then you dont. How the hell can anyone complain about finally getting to experience/try part of an expansion to decide if its worth buying? Hell I would have loved that option in EQ, I sure as hell know I would not have bought LDON had i tried it first. My god some people complain about everything.

• MalakaiMalakai Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by Novaseeker

Originally posted by Johnark
    Everyone is chosing EQ2 because NO ONE can buy WoW at the moment! Blizzard stopped production and still didn't resume production! Our store still gets hundreds of calls per week asking for WoW and when we will get it. We keep telling them that we do not know. What's funny is that since we don't have WoW in stock, I always suggest they buy Star Wars Galaxies instead in the mean time, I guess that's why we still have about 30 copies of EQ2 left. image
    But a few veteran EQ players I know still bought EQ2. Most were disapointed that it did not feel like EQ whatesoever, but they could still get a last name since they played EQ and used their same Sony Station Account.

Well I played WoW from release (lucky to get my copy on release day I guess) so my views aren't based on a lack of time in WoW. WoW is fun, no question, but it lacks staying power. It's a fun game for a couple of months. I think it will get better when PvP Battlegrounds are released but keep in mind that these are to be instanced, meaning that when a faction gains a tower or a town it doesn't exist in the persistent world of the server, so it's not really like DAoC in that respect and as a result will get rather old after a while as well.

It's good that Blizzard hasn't shipped more copies of WoW because as it is their server stability is lacking. The servers for several servers crash regularly still two months after release. There is a half-day of downtime once a week on Tuesdays because the servers are messed up. Often the login server goes down and so forth. Blizzard's infrastructure for the game is lacking, and they need to fix it before expanding the player base significantly. But in reality, Blizzard I think expects people to play the game for a few months and anything beyond that its a bonus ... the content is not there to keep people more than a few months.

I definitly agree with what Novaseeker has to say about WoW.  I really wanted to love this game and bought it because I have liked all of Blizzard's games, but it does lack staying power.  Its just a fun game with pvp that you can level up quickly.  As an example my friend is a store manager of a large retail chain who is married and has a kid.  So needless to say he does not get to put alot of time into WoW.  He is almost 40 in less then a month played time.  There is something wrong with that in my opinion. 

I own WoW and EQ 2 and prefer EQ 2 much more.  I feel it is a deeper more challenging game.  Also the comment on not being able to solo is not true.  I have soloed almost the whole time and also the EQ 2 producer just recently stated that they bumped up solo xp and added alot more solo content in, with much more to come.  I am however keeping an eye on Vanguard and will probably switch over to that one when it comes out.  If you like old school EQ then Vanguard will be for you.  Go check out the faq there on the official website, its pretty informative.

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

Choose life...

EDIT: But I will bite anyway. You said one thing that compels you is staying in the familiar world of Norrath. Let me tell you this, it's not the same anymore. It's a whole different world from a whole different inspiration. I didn't find it to my liking as I explored more. Some do. But most agree that it is not the same at all (except for load times between zones, if you cherished that experience)...

• NoctafenNoctafen Member Posts: 1
    I played EQ1 for about 4 years...I would quit and try the new games as they came out like DaoC for example.I always came back to EQ.It was my first real MMORPG and I still remember some really fun experiences I had in that game (seeing my first Hg or first dragon raid).All other games have yet to give me that experience,I kind of Wonder if its like losing your virginity, others may come but you'll always remeber your first LoL.Anyway I was really excited about EQ2 hoping it would deliver but Imo it didnt.First off I like to try out alot of different classes in a game to see what I like in that particular game,EQ2 kinda wants you to start a char and stay with it..unless you can live on it or can stand repeating the same quests over and over again.I started with a mage and then tried a fighter and then a Scout,by the time I got to scout I wanted to puke..not only had I went through the same quests but I had to wait to 20 to really pick what I wanted to be..that is very annoying..if getting to 20 took only a couple days it wouldnt be that bad ..but wasting weeks like this is really bad. I eventually got my crusader up to becoming an SK cause I was sure that would be fun only to realize it wasn't.So instead of starting over I decided to try WoW.It seems to be more like EQ1 than EQ2 is really..there are duels..cant even duel in EQ2 so there is absolutly no PvP in EQ2.Wow is more rewarding seems the reward for the amount of effort is good..EQ2 doesnt really pay off well and I noticed alot of broken quests..WoW lets you know what the quest reward is so if you decide you dont want the reward just dont do the quest.That can bite you in the ass as some quests lead to others..but it beats not knowing at all without going to a cheat site. basically I agree with whoever it was that said people dont realize how good a game EQ1 is/was.Neither WoW or EQ2 will come even close to what the original EQ was.I'm still playing WoW and occasionally log into EQ2 but I dont plan on spending all my money on MMORPG's so something will eventually have to give.Basically it will come down to you trying them both out because there are lots of things good and bad about both that I havent even mentioned..but at this moment if I had to chose I would say go with WoW or ignore them both go back to EQ1 till some of the new games come out.

Noctafen

• fizzle32fizzle32 Member Posts: 171

WoW = What we all wished EQ1 was.

Ratslayer 3D GONE. I'm level X where should I grind GONE. I need an hour just to get my corpse GONE. People grabbing uberloot in groups and logging GONE.

I have never grinded for exp, I just do every single quest and am levelling faster than my wallet. If anything, I might need to grind greens for MONEY to get my mount and all my level 40 spells.

Only bad part of WoW is the community of angry teenagers. I'm more of a laid back guy, I'll sit down for an hour and just chat, or join a conga line of dancers in IF, but the groups I join are all like HURRY HURRY HURRY, instead of actually going through the whole instance and seeing everything, they'll bring a high level guy and take shortcuts to get it done fast, like 30 minutes and you're out.

EQ2 = What we all wish EQ didn't evolve into.

Could be worse. Could be playing Eve.

Oooh let's fly through this warpgate....now fly through that warpgate....now fly through this warpgate here....now do that 20 times ...oops accidentally flew into .4 space and got ganked by campers.

Members of the Mature Eve Community : "OMG rotfl noob I own you wtf LOL"

The content? Yeah, the content is the space wallpaper you see with every jump.

gg but no thanks

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500
    Mourning is due for release 2-25, check it out.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

Originally posted by fizzle32

Except for those of us who loved EQ1 the way it was =)
    Not all of us bud ... not by a longshot.

A few thoughts:

- As one who played EQ1 from beta 3 to Elemental Planes, EQ2 seems like a sequel to me.  Is it the same game?  Nope.  Wouldn't be much point in that, would there, since EQ1 is still there.

- EQ2 is more designed for casual players.  It's still fairly hardcore though, but a lot of timesinks are gone.  Is it still a grind?  You betcha.  Just less so, and more user friendly.  But if you want instant gratification, this ain't it.

- EQ2 is heavily focused on quests.  If you like quests, you'll be in heaven.  If you don't like quests, you won't be happy.  When you make alts you'd have to be an idiot to do all the same quests over and over again.  You do the ones you liked, the ones you missed, and the ones that provide equipment you want ....... and presumably, if you've already leveled one toon up a bit, you must have some cash to buy other equipment (or make it).  In any event, there are an ungodly number of quests.

- While grouping  and small raids are important in the game, you certainly can solo.  I do it whenever I feel like it (main = Templar).  And they've made major modifications recently to make soloing and small grouping much easier and productive.

- It's also heaven for tradeskill freaks.  Tradeskills are deep and complex.  I love 'em.

- Is it perfect?  Nope.  Far from it.  But IMO it's damned good, and they are making *constant* improvement and adding content, including zones for free.  I have never seen any game come close to adding content and good modifications as fast as they're being added in EQ2.  And unlike the lemonade stand operators here, I don't mind paying for expansions.  Bring 'em =)

As others said, try them both =)

• BendenBenden Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by SolarRain

I played EQ1 for a 4+ years and also just recently cancelled my EQ2 account after getting very bored.
    Whatever you do, don't go to EQ2 thinking it's a sequel to EQ1 as the name would suggest, and certainly don't assume they took the best parts from EQ1 either..they didn't. The devs took a very different approach to EQ2 and everything just seems very dumbed down and more group orientated. The quest system is awesome, but too much emphasis is placed on this part of the game..problem is if you don't follow the quests you will really struggle to gain equipment appropriate for you. If you ever decide you want to start another class you will be doing these quests all over again, and trust me, they get really tedious the 2nd time round...
    (...)

Words of wisdom my friend.
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Oh, you consider old EQ?

Dragon of Norrath is bringing new raiding stuff, and I bet Afterlife will buy time card and start new toons to play there without been detected by anyone because their ego cant allow them to resume their old toons or ask for un-deleting by SoE employees. image

Now that they experience WoW and EQ2, and they see nothing compare to old EQ raid wise, I bet they will go back, tail between the legs, to old EQ.  SoE try to gave them all they ask.  They where thinking they want challenge, but now they understand they want farming, so DoN will be a farming estate. image

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ValaraukValarauk Member Posts: 303

My experience:
    4.5years on EQ1
    29days on EQ2
    In my second month of WoW

I advise you take up WoW now and have fun with it 4-8months (longer if all the content blizzard has in the works pans out). Eventually SoE will pull their shit together and implement items like pvp ruleset servers, more expansive/cohesive content and maybe even finish up with their first major phase of post-release bug patrol. Once this happens I think EQ2 will be the supirior game. Until then the Horde would be happy to have you on Dunemaul.

WARNING: Spelling and grammatical errors intentionally left in document to test for Anal Retentive Trolls.

"The key to wasting time is distraction. Without distractions it's too obvious to your brain that you're not doing anything with it, and you start to feel uncomfortable." - Paul Graham http://paulgraham.com/hs.html

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by fizzle32

Ratslayer 3D GONE. I'm level X where should I grind GONE. I need an hour just to get my corpse GONE. People grabbing uberloot in groups and logging GONE.
    I have never grinded for exp, I just do every single quest and am levelling faster than my wallet. If anything, I might need to grind greens for MONEY to get my mount and all my level 40 spells.
    Only bad part of WoW is the community of angry teenagers. I'm more of a laid back guy, I'll sit down for an hour and just chat, or join a conga line of dancers in IF, but the groups I join are all like HURRY HURRY HURRY, instead of actually going through the whole instance and seeing everything, they'll bring a high level guy and take shortcuts to get it done fast, like 30 minutes and you're out.
    Could be worse. Could be playing Eve.
    Oooh let's fly through this warpgate....now fly through that warpgate....now fly through this warpgate here....now do that 20 times ...oops accidentally flew into .4 space and got ganked by campers.
    Members of the Mature Eve Community : "OMG rotfl noob I own you wtf LOL"
    The content? Yeah, the content is the space wallpaper you see with every jump.
    gg but no thanks

Basically its what you wanted was a game with no challenge.  No death penalty, any idiot can craft now to master levels, exping while you sleep, pvp is pointless because if you die who cares you lose nothing but time, even the battlenet kiddes with no mmog experience can get 60th level. 

At least in EQ1 if someone was high level, you can somewhat tell if they were skilled or not and knew what they were doing.  WoW is so watered down, that even 10 year olds or younger can have a blast in it.

WoW's community is by far the worse of all the games played.  All the fanbois are buying 2 and 3 accounts now, making it harder for true WoW new players hard to come by.

And about 100s of people calling in for WoW in retail stores for a  copy, how much you want to bet its the same 4 no life retards looking for their 2+ accounts.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Anofalye

Oh, you consider old EQ?

Dragon of Norrath is bringing new raiding stuff, and I bet Afterlife will buy time card and start new toons to play there without been detected by anyone because their ego cant allow them to resume their old toons or ask for un-deleting by SoE employees. image

Now that they experience WoW and EQ2, and they see nothing compare to old EQ raid wise, I bet they will go back, tail between the legs, to old EQ.  SoE try to gave them all they ask.  They where thinking they want challenge, but now they understand they want farming, so DoN will be a farming estate. image

For Afterlife and Fires of Heaven,  WoW will NEVER bring back the experiences and challenges that EQ1 had.  And seeing how dumbed down WoW is I bet some of them are already regretting thier move to World of Disney. image
  • RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Guess who's back
    Back again
    Riotgirl's back
    Tell a friend
    Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back
    guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back.. {*Riotgirl hums*}

Again!

Yes, I have resurfaced after a very long hiatus from MMOG's, and did have a murmur of interest in either EQ2 or WoW. After reading the pre-release information and BETA reveiws, I wasn't hopeful. After reading this thread, now that both games have been out for a few weeks/months (still no Euro server for WoW, eh?) I am not impressed.

Although I am not a hardcore player in terms of time spent playing MMOG's (EQ damned near killed me, and I could not be considered a hardcore player i.e. to paraphrase OHTG [Overheard in The Game], "Oh man, I've just played like 16 hours per day, 7 days a week, for 6 months solid", "Is that all?"), none of the present MMOG's - with the exception of EVE Online - appealed to me due to possessing the same wish list as the original poster, more or less.

Horizons? Ha! Thank God I pulled out shortly before it was due to be released. My only example of good timing.

I'm not quite au fait with all of the forthcoming MMOG's but the one that piqued my interest and pulled me out of retirement is Dark and Light - if it lives up to its potential. Again, like others, I cannot afford to become excited. After quitting EQ after SoL came out, I haven't found a game to inspire me (just couldn't really get into EVE Online, despite loving Elite, Privateer, X - Beyond the Frontier, etc - I guess I prefer fantasy MMOG's). Horizons looked promising (ha!) but we all know how that turned out.

What I will say, is whilst we wait for the maturation of MMOG's, I have found the debate on this site (when you separate the wheat from the chaffe) to be of a consistent high standard, with well-reasoned arguments to reinforce points. This thread is a very good example.

Whilst I await for a MMOG (hopefully Dark and Light) to whet my appetite, I will saviour reading your posts on the subject.

Now, if a developer creates EQ with UO's hardcore feel and freedom of choice, then I will die happy.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• i played eq2 since last month and i can see SOE has made a drastic changes on the updates...

i think the new update coming will be more interesting...

its getting better n better cuz i also think it sux at first...

so if u like cartoon games... choose wow... if u like weird character looking games... choose eq2 lol...

i got both but i think eq2 is more fast n responsive than wow...

actually im too lazy to write a review... buy both... and sell which u dont like ahahhaha

fark. 

• saebensaeben Member Posts: 31

AdrenalN hit the nail on the head ....Eq2 is very bland and not as goos as eq1

• ChonkaChonka Member Posts: 27
    All I can say is thanks to everyone for all the help. Don't take this in the wrong way, but now it's more of a toss up than it ever was! image Thanks for all the input and it a well organized manner. From what I hear I think I'm gonna start with EQII, and if it's not what I think it will be, I'll try WoW. Thanks again all. Atleast I know theres a good player base here at MMORPG.com image

Chonka Kimoto 70 Shaman (EQ I since beta) - Retired
    Azuri Spiritweaver 26 Mystic / 13 Craftsman (EQ II) - Retired due to boredom
    Azuri Jingizu W/N20 (Guild Wars)

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Sorry to hijack the thread just wanted to say a welcome back to riotgirlimage