Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Ex-WoW miss WoW?

Comments

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by doragon86

Sometimes I find myself missing WoW. This is probably partly because I've yet to find a MMORPG that has pulled me as WoW has. Anyone else feel the same sometimes for similar or different reasons?

I can say emphatically no I don't.  I left WOW for a smaller more mature community and a company that had a different outlook on what was important in the future of the game and found all of that in LOTRO.  I don't play LOTRO right now but it is what I would consider a "main" mmo for me in that I've been back when the time allowed and will do so again but WOW just went the route of pvp appeasal and they never looked back.  The lore is not very interesting and if you have any desire to RP I would wonder what one would be doing in WOW, so while I will still say it's a good game for those who enjoy it it is no longer for me and probably never will be again.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383

I miss level 60 WoW.  I don't like arenas or flying.   I also very much miss being able to put CastSpell in a macro.  I played long enough to try Karazan a couple times but then I quit.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

I have been off an on wow since late spring of 2005, I think it's every time a big patch comes out or an expansion, I seem to play it to the max.  Then after awhile I begin to lose interest, It may be cause I've played for over 4 1/2 years, that I just get exhausted with the game.  Every MMO I've tried and left wow for that time being, I find myself coming back to wow.  I just came back again for 3.3.0/3.3.0a and now I have hit that stop sign again and feel that I will part again and then come back for Cataclysm.

I give it to Blizzard for what they've done with WOW,  with cloning lots of things from EQ , bringing the Warcraft story into an MMO, with 20 of patches  ( 18 of what i've been apart of) and two great expansions.

I just want to play something completely different and I do hope it's from Blizzard.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322
    Originally posted by stamps79

I have been off an on wow since late spring of 2005, I think it's every time a big patch comes out or an expansion, I seem to play it to the max.  Then after awhile I begin to lose interest, It may be cause I've played for over 4 1/2 years, that I just get exhausted with the game.  Every MMO I've tried and left wow for that time being, I find myself coming back to wow.  I just came back again for 3.3.0/3.3.0a and now I have hit that stop sign again and feel that I will part again and then come back for Cataclysm.
    I give it to Blizzard for what they've done with WOW,  with cloning lots of things from EQ , bringing the Warcraft story into an MMO, with 20 of patches  ( 18 of what i've been apart of) and two great expansions.
     I just want to play something completely different and I do hope it's from Blizzard.

I miss first year WoW when the game wasn't focused on instance raid bullshit and the need to grind for "elite" gear. Back when there was actually open world pvp and not all that BG/arena crap.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

I played WoW for over a year and all I have to say is that’s 1 year of my life I'm never going to get back. The only real reason I play was because my brother does and I don't get to see him but maybe once year. I quit before WotLK came out but I still think I can comfortably say hell no I don't miss WoW imo it's garbage.

• CzargioCzargio Member Posts: 183

Sometimes I miss how snappy everything was, and how intense arena pvp could get, and my raiding guild, but not NEARLY enough to go back.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Do I miss the current WoW? Not at all.

Do I miss Vanilla WoW with 40 man raids, before arenas and BGs? Yes I do.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I have a 68 Rogue, and a 31 Warrior, and several other toons scattered about.  Just a few hours ago, I had my cc in hand, filled out the info and all I had to do is hit the button and just could not do it.

I hated the content in BC for my Rogue, and I'm stuck in what I call the triable thirties for my 31 Warrior.  Their is only 2 areas I hated for questing and that was Desolce, and Arathi Highlands.  I love dungeons, and would like to try out the new LFG thing soon.

Well.....Maybe next week end.

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

nah don't really miss it. but i miss another mmo that was ruined by SOE.

• BlankFrankBlankFrank Member Posts: 13

Everyone told me that I would miss WoW after I quit.  These were my real life friends.  About 6 months later, not only have I not missed the game at all, but have indirectly convinced all those friends to quit as well. 

One friend uses the WoW's "account canceled" screen shot as his wallpaper. 

I think most people are very surprised to see that they don't miss wow at all after they quit, but very relieved. 

It used to be exciting and cool to be a WoW player before the xpacs... now it's just pathetic... SERIOUSLY.  I can think of few more embarrassing things than admitting to being a WoW player... amirite?

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by BlankFrank

Everyone told me that I would miss WoW after I quit.  These were my real life friends.  About 6 months later, not only have I not missed the game at all, but have indirectly convinced all those friends to quit as well. 
    One friend uses the WoW's "account canceled" screen shot as his wallpaper. 

I think most people are very surprised to see that they don't miss wow at all after they quit, but very relieved. 

It used to be exciting and cool to be a WoW player before the xpacs... now it's just pathetic... SERIOUSLY.  I can think of few more embarrassing things than admitting to being a WoW player... amirite?

So you created an account today to tell us all this in 6 posts...

Curious, I counted 52 locked/high/full WOW servers on English EU tonight .Not even counting the other languages.

I am certainly interested in the words like "patheic", embarrassing" etc....

Because you are just one of the many who keeps on re rolling accounts on mmorpg.com to trash talk on the game I just want to play and enjoy with millions of others.

And you don't like that ...

Great, I hope it's the last post you did on our WOW forums.

Nothing to see here anymore for you.

Bye.

What does that to do with his discussion of how he feels about WoW.

He is rerolling accounts?  You have any proves?  But we all have evidence that you ceaselessly reroll your same line of words.

Come on, I play WoW too, and I am embarassed to see a member of my gaming community display such excess zeal of forum crusades.  Let it go.  There are people who like WoW (5 million? 12 million?), there are people who do not care for WoW (hundreds of billions), and there are people who hate WoW (neither you or me know how many).  That is it.

Any you definitely have no right to dismiss him from the forum.  You are no bigger than he is in any manner.  Sometimes, over zealous defence of your personal game helps to nuture the notion that WoW community is a "bad" one.

If I ever quit WoW, I surely will consider using that screenshot as wallpaper.  It marks the end of quite some years, the longest ever in one single game.

• aggiethecataggiethecat Member Posts: 13

i m playing it again due to illness and being snowed in as its comfortable and familiar . its still a lot of fun and many of the changes are ideal for someone that wants to just come back for the odd month . you can level in the battlegrounds and get into and instance easily with the new grouping system . the game has become centralised to the citys because of this and very few players seam to be interested in questing . proberbly because like me they ve done those quests before many times over the years . cataclysm needs to shift the emphasis out of instances to the expansive game world . its always nice to return to wow and see what its like . it ll still play smoothly on my 5 year old pc as well so its about the only mmo thats worth me returning to . give it a go even for a month now and then if you miss it you ll proberbly have a bettter time than you think . its not the same as it was but not all the changes are bad . the pvp seams to be a bit more balanced now .

• X3NOX3NO Member Posts: 26

Ive just rerolled on Saurfang EU after quiting pre-3.1. Since then I've played LotRO, WAR amd Aion. And I have to say, It's good to be back. My main account was hacked and banned while I was away but I'm really enjoying just playing with a bunch of newbies on a new account.

Also, running WoW on ultra settings with a high-end rig. IMO it's STILL the best looking MMO out there (before anyone says Aion is better, go look at the appauling terrain textures).

Therefore I'm not bothering with another MMORPG till SWtOR.

If anyone would like to join me leveling Alliance on Saurfang EU just add me :)

• aggiethecataggiethecat Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by X3NO

Ive just rerolled on Saurfang EU after quiting pre-3.1. Since then I've played LotRO, WAR amd Aion. And I have to say, It's good to be back. My main account was hacked and banned while I was away but I'm really enjoying just playing with a bunch of newbies on a new account.

Also, running WoW on ultra settings with a high-end rig. IMO it's STILL the best looking MMO out there (before anyone says Aion is better, go look at the appauling terrain textures).

Therefore I'm not bothering with another MMORPG till SWtOR.

If anyone would like to join me leveling Alliance on Saurfang EU just add me :)

for landscapes i prefered lord of the rings online unfortunatly i had to play it on low settings because of my pc but even so they do look nice .

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I don't miss it, though I only played for a few months.  I'm curious as to what the expansions did with the game, but I don't buy games on curiosity, so I guess I'll never know!

• SlimfrogSlimfrog Member Posts: 77

To answer the question: No I do not.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Quit before Wotlk came out, now back playing the game again.  Saw that faction change was available, switched a main character, rerolled some new ones, and having an absolute blast playing the game right now.  I never left the game before due to anything I disliked, it was more running out of content and new releases coming out.

Right now I can say the game is a nice break from the tedium in other older MMO's, while it is content filled with great polish compared to all the new MMO's we've seen in the past couple of years.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

Sometimes I have fond memories of WoW, but then I realize they're from Vanilla/BC, back before they homogenized every class and turned the game into a massive gear grind(It wasn't uncommon to see raiders in vanilla in half greens.).

WOTLK made me and my friends quit WoW because it wasn't fun anymore.

If they opened a vanilla or BC nostalgia server, I'd probably resub.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

I sometimes miss the fluid combat handling of WoW, but that's about it.

No auto-facing, super responsive and CD's and GCD's that felt organic.

Other than that? No I don't miss WoW at all and kinda wish the game would just go away so other devs with deep pockets behind them can get back to trying to make more original stuff.

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

I miss it in that I wanted to try a deathknight.  

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

Other than that? No I don't miss WoW at all and kinda wish the game would just go away so other devs with deep pockets behind them can get back to trying to make more original stuff.

If WoW goes away, magically, somehow, some good games will pop up?

I wish for a second that it is true

• slipfeedslipfeed Member UncommonPosts: 88

I did, but all I really have to do is swing by the mage section of the wow forums and then to the patch notes making a list of the number of times blizz has promised the reach around and instead kept pumping away at our colons patch after patch after patch nerf after nerf after nerf.

Buffing every other class in the game to out damage the classes that can only do damage.

Yes, then I remmember why wow sucks.  All classes are completley homogonised hybrids.  Minus mages and rogues, who can really only do one thing, and arn't even the best at that one thing.

Sometimes I wonder how this game has stayed alive.  Then i'm remminded that there are thousands of mages that give everyone else something to be better than and continue to believe thier buff cycle is just around the corner.

Still glad I cancled.

Sanity is a delusion. The only truth is madness.

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69

I missed WoW when I was still playing. It became so non-challenging. Everything was being handed to us. I miss the challenge of how the game used to be before Blizzard started listening to the whiners. There's no way I can go back now.

R.I.P., true WoW.

Originally posted by lisubab

Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

If WoW goes away, magically, somehow, some good games will pop up?

I wish for a second that it is true

No.  no, no no no no no and no.

Wow is the competition that has moved the market.  It is the standard to which the market is held.  The bar is set and others must jump it.  If they fail to do so, they produced an inferior product.

The world you're asking for is not a world where games that are better than wow can flourish.  The picture you paint is of a market where games flourish simply because the bar is lowered.

It may be your personall opinion that game x that died or game y that's dieing is in it's situation because everyone is playing wow.  That's a load of crap.

If they where better games, people would play them.  No, people are not stupid.  Yes, people spend thier money on the best product they can get.  No, you are not somehow smarter than the next person.

I no longer play world of warcraft, and have been trying other mmo's for months.  Though my differences with the game are few they are critical.  I will however say that I have not found the game to replace it.

Of all that have done what Blizzard has done, Blizzard still does it best.  And that is the reason they win.

Originally posted by Heretic451

I missed WoW when I was still playing. It became so non-challenging. Everything was being handed to us. I miss the challenge of how the game used to be before Blizzard started listening to the whiners. There's no way I can go back now.

R.I.P., true WoW.

I dont understand what you mean.  10 manning obsidian sanctum with three drakes up before ulda launched wasn't challenging enough for you?  Because it was never done.  So there was indeed a challenge.  Also the best junk in the game dropped in that situation. 

Are you talking about the change in raid size?  Epics from five man heroics?  Because honestly I ran 40 man molten core when it was the top raid.  I downed onyxia weekly.  I ran BWL till the first naxx came out.  I dropped KT before burning crusade. 

I was there when the silthid first over ran silithus.  I delved the depths of that 40 man raid only once, due to the fact that I was getting BORED. 

BORED... because it was SO GOD DAMN EASY.  All of it. 

And then, I found a challenge.  Completion of the tier .5 set.  All from five mans and quest lines.  It was harder than any 40 man raid in the game.  Simply because the idiot threashold was zero.  One moron = fail.  In a 40 man 20 ppl can be facerolling the keyboard while everyone else is almost snoring and everyone is collecting loot.

In a five man heroic HOL, One moron dosent stay stacked running back and forth from loken, and the whole group wipes.

Ten man naxx is way harder than the 40 man version.  Depending on who's in your raid and what thier gear is it may even be harder than 25. 

Wow was never hard.  It was just alot easier for us elitest pricks to keep people away from the epics when we could run the show on one of the three 40 mans running this week in BwL.

I felt this way up untill the point where I quit.  Compared to five man heroics, 25 man raids are fking cake.  Compared to heroics, 40 man raids are a snore fest.