Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a MMORPG study

Defunct

Comments

• wolftamerwolftamer Member Posts: 29

So what's the phone number for exactly?  Just like to know where my # is going if I take the survey.

• ThaumThaum Member Posts: 3

Your phone number is so we can contact you if you win the raffle. We don't use e-mail addresses because e-mail addresses and WoW accounts are now linked. Your phone number is kept entirely confidential and will be disposed of in accordance with the data protection act.

• MastadaMastada Member Posts: 40

HI Joshua and Matt. I completed the survey. Good luck on your findings and I hope they meet or exceed your hypothesis.

I graduated with a degree in Psychology, and I had to conduct an experiment as well for my senior thesis, so I wanted to take part in your study and help out.

The only problem I found with the survey is that I opted out of the drawing by clicking the box, yet it still required me to add a number to continue the survey, even though I had opted out.

In any case, I hope the data you receive is coherent and enlightening.

• jdram14jdram14 Member Posts: 36

Being a student of game design who has used these forums as a method of research (and got a 105% on the paper too. Thanks, everybody who helped) I felt almost obligated to take the survey to help your research move alone.

After taking the survey, I first recognize the lack of polish (yay for video game terms) in the numerous sentence errors and the fact that many questions are asked two or three times, but just worded a little differently. The survey was also unclear about what it was asking, and many times I felt like it simply didn't make sense.

You'd probably get stronger and more accurate results with fewer and more clearly stated questions.

That being said, I think you may find a correlation between perfectionism and the hours played per week, but also warn against jumping to conclusions. A perfectionist will do a lot of anything until they get it right, and signs of depression would show in the same way whether it is video games, card games, working out, business, or even something as silly as lawn care. If you find a correlation in MMORPGs, I would be miffed to discover a press release from the University of Kent saying that video games lead to depression. The depression is in the person, not the activity.

• ThaumThaum Member Posts: 3

Thankyou Mastada,

Thankyou for your feedback, I forgot to tick a box in the survey design so will do that quickly now, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Question 5 on the first page of the test makes it impossible to complete for some games:

"What level is your main character?"

Being an EvE player this question does not have an answer (or a single answer at least). I suspect DF is another game where this question would prevent a person from completing the survey (due to the error checking). Good luck on your study none-the-less.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• MastadaMastada Member Posts: 40

I agree that a couple of the statements were a little confusing, and once I read the post-summarization (as all surveys of this type are supposed to have) I realized a couple of the questions I did misinterpret and thus answered incorrectly (or at least I felt I did).

However, repeating the same question in different ways is very common in psychological surveys - it's what makes the data valid and relevant, and allows statistical analysis of the answers.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Ok I helped you with the studies :)  Good luck