Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Preview, Part Three

124»

Comments

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

There is going to be a lot of upset with this one. I'm reminded of other famous IP MMO's which fell flat on release and could never quite pick themselves up.

LOTRO for one, terrible mmo on release, 2/3 years later however its awesome! - but will never be popular now due to its initial crash.  Others include DDO, AoC & Warhammer.

Its just getting boring now, its the same story every single time, released too early, fails, very few re-sub, never recovers.  The crying shame this  time is that Cryptic will destroy such a good IP as startrek.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I was hoping STO would be the new game that would draw me in for some time, but the instanced only PvP will keep me from buying it.

• mythran7mythran7 Member Posts: 57

If you’re going to have a war as your premise, and you’re going to include a fully fledged PvP based faction revolving around that premise, you need to have a full fledged PvP area in which to fight over stuff. Not mindless scenarios, but large-ish strategic areas in which to fight over resources or victory conditions. If you can't figure out how to balance it, hire some people with creative skills (try some old time PnP guys, they are not so set in their ways as these Post-WoW thinkers) and try something new. I don't know about everyone else but I would prefer an unbalanced "needs some work" open PvP war zone like what was originally promised then mindless scenarios that have no effect on the game world at all.

That’s the essential problem of instances. It solves technical problems for you, but it basically makes the whole open dynamic persistent world “illusion” disappear. We are at war, but nothing we do matters. Nothing we win counts for anything other than xp. Can you say GRIND?? This could all be solved with some creative and original approaches to these things.

Unfortunately I will likely play this game anyhow, just because it’s Star Trek. I have been waiting for a game like this for a very, very long time. I will try it, and I will give it the benefit of the doubt. However, how long I stay is going to depend a great deal on what they do, or don’t do with PvP. I want to play Klingon, but if there is no persistent open world fight, I won't be playing this for very long.

• fowltieffowltief Member Posts: 2

since the team is very community focused... i can already imagine the team scrambling to get some of the suggestions into the game....

• mikenet707mikenet707 Member Posts: 65

I am looking forward to playing this game but if all those things need to be ironed out then DO NOT RELEASE this game Cryptic until it is mostly polished. Otherwise you will have an excited crowd to buy the first game and then all leave after a few months in frustration. I will be one. Life is short and i certainly do not want to pass up other P to play games while you fix this one. I like star trek themes a lot and have high hopes for this but polish polish polish first. God bless. Happy space travels !!!

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Does anyone else get the feeling that EVE is more like Star Trek than STO?

Just throwing it out there...

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz

Does anyone else get the feeling that EVE is more like Star Trek than STO?
    Just throwing it out there...

In what ways?

I only played EvE for a couple of days on a trial,  but it is heavily about money, and that doesn't match the Federation way of doing things.

Controlling ships definitely seemed more like Trek than STO is handling it.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

It's not really the money, but more the heavy focus on interaction and relationships between players rather than on 24/7 combat. With all the downtime between fights in EVE it does remind me of the build-up to large battles like in Star Trek - I keep thinking of DS9.

STO seems like it's trying to force combat a little too much. I see EVE as a long scifi movie with a lot of dialogue and drama, leading up to a climactic battle scene at the end which is caused by all the personal relationships before. STO is more like an action movie with tons of explosions but no real substance.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA