Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divinity II: Ego Draconis

NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

So, I am thinking about getting / hearing about Divinity II: Ego Draconis.  I know its an RPG, its metascore (on metacritic) is a 78/100, which isn't terrible.

I'm reading what some of the critics are saying though, and some of them are just trashing this game.  According to what they played on the PC, the animations were HORRIBLE, the equipment is like pulling teeth, and the general lack of polish on the game is rather apparent, with lots of bugs and the like.

The review that sums all this up was this one ~

- This is the very 1st review that I've ever written, and I feel so strongly about the crap-hole-ness of this game that I am writing one now. I bought this game (for Xbox 360) after reading some of these scores and have only continued playing for about 5 hours because I can't take it back. 1st, the graphics. Between the sloppy and cluncky character animations, horrible jumping and the ability to get stuck trying to walk up a hill, and the bright, then dark lighting (supposed shadow effects) I wanna shoot myself in the face with an Xbox controller launcher until my brain hemorrhages hemorrhoids. There is virtually no story, and no opening explanation. Had I not read the instruction booklet I would have no idea who the cliche Damian was, or why I am supposed to hunt dragons.

Equipping your character is like pulling teeth because your inventory and equipped stuff are on a different screen giving you no way to compare which items are better than what you've already got, and the inability to set a main quest with a way point or at least a spot on the map makes me want to travel to Larian Studios, and personally choke the developers with my towel rack. Only the main quests have a spot on the map, not any of the side quests, which by the way are required! At every turn I found myself getting raped because of higher level creatures. So going back to find quests to level up is horrid, and the creatures don't re-spawn or give very much XP. Oh, and loading problems (freezes while loading a save so that you have to restart the game through dashboard). And the game runs on my Xbox like Crysis on my PC, slow, sloppy, and laggy. Crap, absolute vomit inducing tard-tastic. Borrow or rent before you through $60 in the bidet.

For a game that everyone on these forums was talking about so much, I was rather surprised, because many of the reviews I read were like this.  I have a hard time balancing out the good reviews from the bad, so I ask you, are all of these real issues with the game?

-------------------------

Comments

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

I trust the player reviews on amazon.com over the "expert" opinions of paid reviewers. Might be just me but Ive found the reviews there to be pretty much in line with what I think of a given game. 

• realdealrealdeal Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by NagelFire

So, I am thinking about getting / hearing about Divinity II: Ego Draconis.  I know its an RPG, its metascore (on metacritic) is a 78/100, which isn't terrible.
    I'm reading what some of the critics are saying though, and some of them are just trashing this game.  According to what they played on the PC, the animations were HORRIBLE, the equipment is like pulling teeth, and the general lack of polish on the game is rather apparent, with lots of bugs and the like.
    The review that sums all this up was this one ~
    - This is the very 1st review that I've ever written, and I feel so strongly about the crap-hole-ness of this game that I am writing one now. I bought this game (for Xbox 360) after reading some of these scores and have only continued playing for about 5 hours because I can't take it back. 1st, the graphics. Between the sloppy and cluncky character animations, horrible jumping and the ability to get stuck trying to walk up a hill, and the bright, then dark lighting (supposed shadow effects) I wanna shoot myself in the face with an Xbox controller launcher until my brain hemorrhages hemorrhoids. There is virtually no story, and no opening explanation. Had I not read the instruction booklet I would have no idea who the cliche Damian was, or why I am supposed to hunt dragons.

Equipping your character is like pulling teeth because your inventory and equipped stuff are on a different screen giving you no way to compare which items are better than what you've already got, and the inability to set a main quest with a way point or at least a spot on the map makes me want to travel to Larian Studios, and personally choke the developers with my towel rack. Only the main quests have a spot on the map, not any of the side quests, which by the way are required! At every turn I found myself getting raped because of higher level creatures. So going back to find quests to level up is horrid, and the creatures don't re-spawn or give very much XP. Oh, and loading problems (freezes while loading a save so that you have to restart the game through dashboard). And the game runs on my Xbox like Crysis on my PC, slow, sloppy, and laggy. Crap, absolute vomit inducing tard-tastic. Borrow or rent before you through $60 in the bidet.

For a game that everyone on these forums was talking about so much, I was rather surprised, because many of the reviews I read were like this.  I have a hard time balancing out the good reviews from the bad, so I ask you, are all of these real issues with the game?

I really have to wonder if the reviewer has actually played the game and is not some undercover BioWare dev,the review is that far out it's unreal.

He sounds like a retard who need to LERN TO PLAY,seriously what a crock of shit.

First off let me say that this is a PC game and like many PC games,porting them over to console brings problem just like DAO had problems porting over to consoles.

They have just released a patch for the US console versions and another is on it's way.

Okay the game..

The graphics on the PC version are lush and crisp and very realistic with great shading and very good character armors and weapons,they look fantastic. On the PC you can crank this game up to extreme and take in the whole non linear world,meaning it's an open world like Oblivion/gothic or morrowind,not like DAO linear path pushing box.

Story..man this dude must be playing another game,i can't stress enough how bad ass this story is,it's original and fully voiced and just takes you on a rolla coaster ride of epic natures. Everywhere you turn an NPC has a story or a quest or he might be hiding some treasure or banging the farmer's wife,the only way you can get the secrets out of them is through a dragon skill called "mind read".

When you have a chat with an NPC you also get an option to mind read but it will cost you xp. The more XP it cost the better the information you will get. Aso their are 100s of books that have hidden quests and tell you the history of the world,some quest can't be done without you finding the books and reading them.

Story..yeah it kicks DAO story all over the football pitch,i can stress enough how gripping the story is.

No explantion? lol you start the game in a cutscene and everything unfolds from their.

This is why i know that the reviewer is talking Bull crap or he is some freaking dev from another company.

Equiping your toon..?

WTF is this twat going on about lol ? man you run you curser over items and it tells you what they are. You run your curser over your armor a bit of armor or weapon and it will compaire it to what you have on ,just like in a mmorpg. This is why i know the reviewr is talking bullshit.

The map.. man again he is talking utter rubbish,you can mark the whole map for any quests you are doing,it's the first thing you see when you open the map?

Ermm no you don't have to do the side quests but you better because you will need xp and to level up,it's not a game that will hold your hand,you actually have to think and ask NPC where some location are.

This bit made me laugh, he is getting owned..lol he most probaly is getting owned. You are not going to go out their and kill everything in sight,you will have to plan your battles and some of the mobs even if they are the same level will eat you up unless you really work out how to kill them,this is serious RP and battles that will test your skills.

Put your points into the right place to start with because you will need to be alert. Some quests ,especially at lower levels will have to wait until you are a couple of level higher,these mobs will kill your ass with top AI movement.

Crafting or should i say leran potions and what plants you need at an early stage,you will need then earlier on in the game.

Everything about this game is thinkiing and planning ahead,that's why all trees are yours. If you want to be a warrior mage with CC and stuns or fears ,you can. If you want to be a healer and ranger you can put points into those type of skills,ther are plenty of great skills that are more akin to a mmorpg.

This bit made me smile as well "killing dragons" lol you are a dragon or you become a dragon,you are on the same side?

Some of the quest in this game a brilliant,i mean really well though out and fun.

My advice would be ..DONT get this game for console,it's a PC game at heart.

This game is better than DAO across the board,it leaves it standing in it's wake.

I think it's the usa rpg and the european having different tastes when it comes to RPG,here in europe we know what  rpg is about,we don't try to turn it into a hollywood blockbuster with no soul.

READ proper reviews..

uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/divinity2egodraconis/index.html

Please don't listen to the people trying to play top games like this on oudated xbox 360,lol corse it will look crap,especially being a PC game at heart.

You do need a good pc to really shine with this game..

Oblivion-diablo-gothic all in one game..

You play about a 1/4 of the game before you get dragon form,it does not come easy to get the form..

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

well I AM PLAYING so here it gooes...

GFX:

* Its beautifull, there´s some effect but argh the animations ARE unpolished, my fpd are on max but the npcs move like 14fps while your char move nromaly TILL he walks on some rocks or execute some skill, wich are terrible.

GAMEPLAY:

* Quite facinating, i love this kind of game, u gain lvlv killing, the u gain lvl u have 5 point to ditribute beteen aributes and 1 skill points to distribue amont the kill tree wich are : Prist, Mage, Warrior, Rogue, Slayer), slayer wich is a combination for any path u chose (exemple, i made a warrior but in slayer u have some improvement for general classes, increase iventory, xp, mind reading cost...)

* HOWEVEr the enemies are either TOO dificult or either TOO eazy any time you maps,start any ranged classes, or u gonna get beaten a lot, SAVE A LOT.

*and unfotunalty the combat is lot clumsy, its just wacka-o-troll with terribad animations, some enemies skills just cast sells throw walls, i havent trying the magician way myself to try xploit it, but with a lvl 1 bow i xploited some maps and killed some mobs >3 lvls than me, and thats sad.

*quest are quite fun, some places are nice to explore, and in the middle u gain a very nice skill u cna search on youtbube.

BUGs:

* 2 quests so far and couting, and some quest if u do something that not supposed to affect the quest at all, may get u frozen at some dialog.

* at the START of the game u may get some gfx problems, everything transparent, the solution so far is go till u finish the first dialogs, set on maximun, save, quit the game, and then load.

well what i can remeber is that, besides everything i would rather play it 10 times than dragon age.

if you played Gothic3, Risen, 2 Worlds, you may like this game =)

keep and eye in two worlds 2 =)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I tried the demo, and enjoyed it, but I don't know if I wish to buy it.  Could anyone give more info on the gameplay past the first area? Bugs, quality of play, bugs in the game, overall fun factor, ability to replay the game and have different things happen based on what you do/choices?

• DrakkhenDrakkhen Member Posts: 195

I loved Risen and Two Worlds (Minus the voice acting, I turned it off ... ugh).

And I loved Dragon Age: Origins ...

*WARNING* - The following is my opinion, which is neither more valid or less valid than anyone elses.

But Divinity 2 just didn't do it for me.

I have it for the PC and while the graphics are nice the animations are TERRIBLE! ( I mean "Break immersion" bad).

The voice acting isn't as bad as two worlds, but you can tell they have the same five people doing multiple characters.

I found the story to be generic, what little bits of it I could glean. Something about killing these bad guys because they are bad guys and need to be killed or some such nonsense.

And the lack of consequences ... it doesn't matter if you're good or evil. Things just don't really pan out all that differently.

As I stated, this is just my opinion and while some people can look past these issues, I could not.

Really the only way to tell if you'll enjoy it is to drop the cash and give it a go ....

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Swanea

I tried the demo, and enjoyed it, but I don't know if I wish to buy it.  Could anyone give more info on the gameplay past the first area? Bugs, quality of play, bugs in the game, overall fun factor, ability to replay the game and have different things happen based on what you do/choices?

What I am seeing is great so far, with little performance hickups at most. The game itself is IMO the best of both worlds, to clarify it's as if they took the best ideas from games like the TES series, and a bit of bioware flavor for good storytelling elements and made the love child of those two styles. IMO it's better than DA:O which was a good game IMO. The game is deep and does not hold your hand at most times, don't regret this purchase at all.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Anyone else? A few people saying the animations are meh...

Didn't seem GREAT in the demo, but they didn't seem tooooo terrible.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Can I ask why you havnt gone for Dragon Age?

Divinity is one the games I looked at on steam,  didnt read anything bad about it just that Dragon age seemed more popular and more polished.

Problem with these RPG's is that they are very popular at first, people rave on about them... then within a few weeks they are back to their usual RPG. 

In the end I got Torchlight! lol..  its fun and arcady, smooth and vibrant.  Probably not the depth and detail of something like Dragon age or Divinity, but I think I just needed something simple to play to recharge the brain and cheaper :)

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

This is a great game.

man, i´ve been playing for weeks, and just NOW i got the dragon form, and its EVEN MORE FUNNIER, serious, its a nice try =)

and yes, there´s some even more gfx issues, but playing mmos gfx is something i learned put in last plane in order to have fun =)

Dark Souls 2.
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• runeofmagicruneofmagic Member Posts: 16

European RPG devs teams will rule 2010..

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

Divinity 2 Ego Draconis has already set the ball rolling.

DAO who! oh yeah tha't that linear box that BioWare are calling a" successer" to BG1....not.

• runeofmagicruneofmagic Member Posts: 16

Edited..

GOTHIC 4???

with 2 worlds 2 im gonna JIZZ IN MY PANTS!!!!

Dark Souls 2.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Divinity 2 is a good, fun game. I still prefer DA though.