Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprise!

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

So the main point of this thread is to list games you really had no idea you'll totally fell in love with and in general were quite surprised how good they were (sorry no bad surprises in this thread). You can list ANY game be it a shooter, rpg, console or pc, really anything. For me it would be 3 games:

Mass effect: Was on sale and i was bored so decided to pick it up, after a week of playing and completing it...i totally fell in love with bioware and this game is literally the best game ive ever played in my entire life., really changed my views on the genre.

Divinity 2: Again just downloaded out of sheer boredom and was one of the best game i played, deep, engaging and quite fun.

Fracture: Was toying around in playstation store and downloaded the demo...wow it was one of the funnest shooter games i played, you can terraform the entire  game and it had quite an interesting story and online play.

Now let's hear about yours!

Comments

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

best in your life?

you must be a very young person, or started with gaming last month...

• chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

He's probably young if he hadn't heard of bioware really before Mass Effect!  But no worries, why even bring that up?

The game that surprised me the most was Civilization III.  I didn't really think moving little tiles around would be that fun.  I wanted to build my cities and design them, not have generic tiles.  I gave it a chance (quite a long time ago, right after Civ III came out) and fell in love.  I remember I installed it, decided to play around a bit, then realized it was about three hours later.  Of all the games I've played, I think I've put the most time into playing the Civ franchise.  Been a HUGE fan since III (even bought the "box set" of 1-4). 

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

The Ultima Series and certainly Ultima Online.

Might and Magic 3

Tunnels of Doom (lets see if any old timers know or remeber that one)

Oh and DAOC for sure. Every MMO since then has been shit.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

DooM.

I had played Wolfenstein (on a 386) and wasn't that impressed, but shortly after release I picked up DooM out of boredom.

I was instantly hooked, and amazed at how good the game was.

I'd also have to say Anarchy Online. I had been wondering about MMORPGs for a while, and at the time it was either EQ1 or AO to choose from, really....I did a bit of research on the features of each, and downloaded AO.

Once again, instantly hooked, and amazed.

And let's not forget Tribes. By this time I was a FPS vet, having played in clans online in games such as Quake and Unreal, and picked up Tribes out of boredom.

OMG hooked. I ended up playing in ladders and leagues for years, as part of a tribe ranked consistantly in the top 10 on the OGL. It was a long time after before I could play another FPS game, since I was so used to having a jetpack.

Good times...

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

I must say wow back in 2005. Such a blast i had running around in a gigantic world without knowing what to do, and when I  joined a random group to sfk I knew I had found a really great game :). And damn it was such an spooky and fun adventure. I couldnt even sleep that night becuse I won a blue item, cant remember what item it was thou:)

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

PSO and EQOA, PSO i had watched my roomate play and we'd either be playing or what we'd call "the typin bitch"..lol was just easier to have some one else type while other used teh dreamcast controller. and as for EQOA i hadn't even been looking into playing any MMO but got a demo disc in the mail from SoE and loved it. played EQOA for years, no other game held my attention steady for taht long.

for off line Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, man i never played a game like that so much. i replayed it like 6 times never seemed to get old.usually games like that i'm good for 1 round through but never replay them.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by CasaFranky

best in your life?
    you must be a very young person, or started with gaming last month...

I guess im fairly young but ive always been into MMORPG's and just recently got into consoles again.

And it's nice to see your guy's games, keep em coming!

• NivezNivez Member Posts: 93

Secret of mana for me. My lil bro and I played that game so many damn times, and then got the multi had a buddy who was into rpgs and there is another few times thru the game. Online wise, UO. Shit myself watching someone cast a fireball in the brigand camp near Brit. I was up all weekend an skipped alot of highschool cause of that game.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

1. Darkfall: After reading all the hate/troll/negative posts on the game, my expectations were very low. I was very surprised by what I found though, and am still playing it.

2. Portal: I didn't expect much from a little "side-game" in the Orange Box set. I ended up loving the game and played it through in one sitting.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Most recently for me i was surprised with Batman: Arkham Asylum.  Didn't expect too much but bought it anyway based on reviews.  Totally loved the game, this was probably my favorite game on any format for 2009.

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Flem

Most recently for me i was surprised with Batman: Arkham Asylum.  Didn't expect too much but bought it anyway based on reviews.  Totally loved the game, this was probably my favorite game on any format for 2009.

I agree, as a Batman fan it definitely gave me everything I wanted and I got to see every spectrum of the dark knight himself. It showed us how he is a detective, an amazing fighter, good use of gadgets, stealth skills and forensic skills. Couldnt have asked for a better Batman game! *crosses fingers that the sequel will be just as good*

• JacintaJacinta Member Posts: 44

Command & Conquer (tiberium, FMV, flame-throwing tanks, anyone?), Duke Nukem 3D (after the 2D platformers, this was far out from left field and a great game), Tombraider (Before playing I wasn't at all interest in platformers of any kind.  That a 3D platformer would hold my attention wasn't even a possibility.  The thoughtful gameplay and absolutely MASSIVE level design had me hooked from the first few minutes, though.)

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by Flem

Yeh batman was actually quite surprising too, a great game but imo kind of slow paced being an action game and a bit easy.