Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 3?

Comments

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Just give EQ1 a new graphics engine, new UI, way better animations and hey presto you got your EQ3, I'd certainly play it =).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by MMOrUS

Just give EQ1 a new graphics engine, new UI, way better animations and hey presto you got your EQ3, I'd certainly play it =).

I wouldn't. They would at least have to upgrade the AI on the mobs also, and I think it is time to kill of the holy triad for it too.

EQ was a huge step in new thinking of the young MMO genre, remaking an 11 year old game isn't and EQ deserves more than that.

It did however many things right and I hope they will keep the difficulty, modern MMOs are too easy. But part of that is because of the stupid mobs that you can defeat in the same way every time, they should really react to what the players do.

As for the holy triad it is just a thing that makes combat too easy, it was fun 11 years ago but now it is feeling really old and in 5 years it will be a lot worse.

Sure, give EQ a new gfx engine but don't call it EQ3 then. Make a new EQ3 with the new thinking the old one had.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097
    Originally posted by blueturtle13

I dont think SOE has rested on it's laurels at all. I think with games like the agency and free realms they have/are branched out into other arenas. What I think has happened is Sony has not given too much funding to interactive online gaming since they have focused on the 3-D tech for their TV's and their inhouse development of PS3 titles. They have deep pockets but they have lost market share in other areas of their business. Given that they have all but confirmed the development of EverquestNext I am hopeful that they can really take the time to craft a great gaming experience with alot of the great lore and combine that with newer tech and better immersion. I liked EQ1 and played EQ2 for a long time as well.
        The old stand by of "I hate SOE" is just high school B.S. They are a company that hires studios to develop games for them and they publish them. Most if not all of the people that were involved in the ruining of alot of games are gone years ago. Move on people. EQ1 is still making money and played by alot of people. EQ2 never was able to compete with Blizzard's beast sure but it is the better game and it makes SOE money. Blizzard makes games that have great art direction and are polished. Their games have always been more shallow than others in the genre they make their games in. People talk about how great Diablo is but it was criticized by alot of gamers for being just a simple hack and slash with great music for loot whores.  Alot of RPG hardcore hated it. (I know I did) Just like alot of hardcore mmoers hate WOW. Blizzard has always made the same kinds of games. What surprises me is that people expected WOW to be any different. It is a Blizzard game thats what they do. Pick a genre and water it down and release it polished and accessible. Nothing wrong with that but it is what it is. SOE has taken chances and not rested. They still support older titles and release Xpan Paks for 11 year old games and still market games that are 11 years old or 5. Not all their changes have been well received but at least they have not shyed away from taking chances.
    I mean if SOE was sooo bad then why is Infinity Ward tapping them to make their new MMO? Infinity could have picked anyone to make their online game but they chose SOE, in particuliar EQ2's lead designer.  SOE isnt as bad as the vocal minority would like us to believe. 

Who would that be?

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

The problem is if the developers decided to make EQ3 have a PvP aspect because of how large that appeal is in WoW. I think EQ2 they opted for the sort of Freeport-Qeynos thing to try and incorporate PvP as a big part of the game. They should stick to PvE, that is where the essence of EQ was.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097
    Originally posted by lord_seru

Originally posted by uquipu

Vanguard Saga of Heroes was EQ3
    Few showed up to play it.
    It had a pretty severe death penalty and corpse dragging and open instances and so on.

So wrong

People didn't show up because VG wouldnt run on most computers.  Even if I go play it today, it is choppy, and my computer can run Crysis on full settings

Either you're anti-EQ or you just don't know history that well

I beta'd it, and gave up because I didn't have time to list all the bugs and things that were wrong with the game... crafting was probably the best thing in it at the time. I knew lag/.vid lag was a prob then... i'm surprised they haven't worked on it since they actually released.

But more to the point, Vanguard wasn't really an EQ3.... it felt more like a EQ 2.1 abandoned alpha build.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by spades07

The problem is if the developers decided to make EQ3 have a PvP aspect because of how large that appeal is in WoW. I think EQ2 they opted for the sort of Freeport-Qeynos thing to try and incorporate PvP as a big part of the game. They should stick to PvE, that is where the essence of EQ was.

EQ2 pvp is already much better than anything WOW has to offer! Why would they want to go the route of BGs and arenas instead of open world pvp?

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

well when they make eq3 i REALLY hope they stay away from the EQ2 graphics i really did not like that clay animation look, the scenery and what not was good but playing a character that looked like he was made of play-dough sucked. but idk if i'd try it either way seeing how SoE treats their games/customers by whoring every aspect of it. EQ3 will start off with RMT more than likely or like the rest of thier games they'll wait till they get enough hooked before they start it.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Vanguard: Saga of heroes isnt everquest 3.. but that could be how everquest 3 would look like.

• RoflanRoflan Member Posts: 97

Uh... You all do realize that the real EQ2 was released about the same time as what they call EQ2 was released, right? It goes under the name of FFXI.

FFXI is pretty much what a lot of you are/were asking for: EQ mechanics and difficulty with a graphical upgrade and active player-base. The only real difference is the world it is set in.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by uquipu

Vanguard Saga of Heroes was EQ3
    Few showed up to play it.
    It had a pretty severe death penalty and corpse dragging and open instances and so on.

HAD? you mean have? Im still playing it and others aswell.

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

It would make perfect sense. EQ2 was certainly more of a success than the countless EQ clones under generic IP's that have failed since. EQ2 was a truly cinematic game that actually gave immersion a chance.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218

soe does the same to eq2 what the did to swg.. the make it wowish ... today i was thinking about resub to my 80 myth illu on valor ... but the good times are gone ... when i started i want to play a pure support class like the illu was , and now i do as much raid dps as an assassine ... nice blizz oh i mean soe ...

jeah and then we have the new battleground with the new expansion ... nice pvp battlegrounds in a pve game oh i love u blizz ... oh i mean soe ...

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Umm..lots of people showed up to play Vanguard.  It sold 250k+ box sales in the first week.  It was such a buggy pile of poo that no one stayed.  But the interest was there....

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218

and Russian WOW...I mean Allods ;)

jeah sure its russian wow ;) but i read something a bout ship fights and flying to the allods ... so i found this intressting ... but i m only lvl 10 ^^

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

The Doc was right about EQ2 being poorly optimized.

How stupid can a company be? I mean this is epic stuipd, just the sort of thing you would expect from SOE. Let's make our game optimized towards single core processors and not incredibly powerful graphic cards =/

They got it wrong on all fronts. Even to this day, EQ2 is poorly optimized. Only with VERY overlocked processers can you get decent frame rate in this game at quality settings. And the quality settings are the only way the game looks decent for 2010. So it only took 6 years for processors to catch up to the game's max settings, and even then it is still a struggle.

EPIC FAIL

I have no faith whatsoever in SOE. They will probably make EQ3 some cheap version of FreeRealms, poorly optimized for high performance machines, let alone poor performance machines... (those get to stick with WoW with no shadows and low settings)

The genre has gone to shit except for a few good games which utilize above average computers. And even they have their issues.

The time has come for SOE to put up or shut up. Release a game that has a decent engine and is up to par with at least an ATI5870 (this for a game 2 years away) or just quit the bizness.... They seem to have quit on Vanguard...

SOE is really the devil :p

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

SOE isnt as bad as the vocal minority would like us to believe. 

This made me laugh. Its funny you don't realize the vocal minority are EQ2 players.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Originally posted by Sympatico
    If they took EQ1 classic and updated the graphics to AOC/Aion quality, no expansions - same mechanics, same math, same everything - then slowly released the expansions chronologically ... that would be like a dream come true lol
    I miss the hell out of EQ1, I've tried going back - but it's just too far along, and the graphics are just not bearable anymore...same with EQ2...I tried it, but it's hard to get immersed in such a barren ugly world, after you've experienced MMO graphics like what we have today.
    I would definitely play EQ3, and I'm truly hoping they are already working on it. I loved WoW for the few years I played it - enjoyed the end-game, but my fondness and memories pale in comparison to those I have of EQ1
    C'mon SOE! Give us EQ3, and bring back a focus on CC, pulling, and tactics! yeeehaw!

As much of a fan as I am of EQ and having returned to play on the Combine Server, I'm not sure a revamp will really bring people back to EQ. There are only so many visits back to Kelethin and Crush Bone one can do before you realize its just the same thing in different clothes. EQ has always been my first true MMORPG and to this day my favorite MMO, dressing it up with graphics just doesn't seem practical. Games are evolving and game technology is evolving. I admire your dedication to the game, but lets see what EQ3 has to offer.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• EmlochEmloch Member Posts: 51

First of all EQ2 was not a failure. The numbers speak for themselves. Where other MMO's have failed, EQ2 is still going strong after 6 years. As with most other games, it had its flaws but is still an all-around solid game.

With regards to EQ3; one can speculate all they want about it being garbage but none of us know what the future brings. It will not return to it's roots (EQ1) though that doesn't mean it will follow suit with the current trends in the MMO genre. SOE has made mistakes in the past but that doesn't mean that they'll continue to do so with future properties. The bottom line is that you can speculate and assume that EQ3 would be a terrrible game but it's also very possible that EQ3 could turn out to be the best MMO ever created, to date. Anything is possible.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Originally posted by Nightbringe1
    Originally posted by Lansid
    Originally posted by Sympatico If they took EQ1 classic and updated the graphics to AOC/Aion quality, no expansions - same mechanics, same math, same everything - then slowly released the expansions chronologically ... that would be like a dream come true lol
    I miss the hell out of EQ1, I've tried going back - but it's just too far along, and the graphics are just not bearable anymore...same with EQ2...I tried it, but it's hard to get immersed in such a barren ugly world, after you've experienced MMO graphics like what we have today.
    I would definitely play EQ3, and I'm truly hoping they are already working on it. I loved WoW for the few years I played it - enjoyed the end-game, but my fondness and memories pale in comparison to those I have of EQ1
    C'mon SOE! Give us EQ3, and bring back a focus on CC, pulling, and tactics! yeeehaw!
    tank&spank is hardly considered tactical, they deemed kiting as an "exploit" and even went so far as to destroy the tactic in EQ2 to great lengths, and nowadays most classes have a form of CC, not just an Enchanter... if you played WoW you'd know that.

I don't play WoW, and I don't particularly care what they do or do not have in that game. What I want is an EQ3 that brings forward the gameplay of the original with updated graphics and a few new features.
    Kiting was a valid tactic in EQ, as such I would certainly hope it is valid in EQ3. They have certainly added it back into EQ2 as a tactic in recent years. I would also expect to see root & rot.

As much as I like the changes to EQII, the fact that 'Battle Speed or Combat Speed' is in the game is very discouraging, particularly at lower levels. The speed modifier was one of those game tweaks that was suppose to address an abused issue in EQ, along with quite a few other horrid tweak applications (many of which are now gone). As much as EQII has changed these left over modifications like Combat Speed are still in there. Call me a disgruntled Drud, but any type of movement restrictions for the sake of micromanaging the game is just a little much.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

[quote]Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Sympatico If they took EQ1 classic and updated the graphics to AOC/Aion quality, no expansions - same mechanics, same math, same everything - then slowly released the expansions chronologically ... that would be like a dream come true lol

For who? You? You want SOE to spend tens of millions developing a new modern EQ just for you and a few other EQ1 hardcores? Just Google "Everquest Next". SOE has already confirmed that a new EQ MMO is in the works(and a movie). They also said they are developing it for people playing MMOs now and 4 years from now(not 10 years ago). SOE doesnt think a "pen and paper" styled MMO will be successful when EQ3 is launched. So, it seems like SOE thinks auto attack is out and real time action is in.

Also, if you watch the Evercracked documentaries the last one, episode 5, near the end you'll see the camera approach a room labeled Everquest Next. The camera enters the room where you see a nice drawing of a Drawf, along with a story board type outline. As the camera pans across the images one of the guys in the room puts his hand on the camera to shove the camera man out. You see just enough to tease you, but not enough to really draw any substantive conclusions.
    I encourage you guys to watch it and see if you pick up on anything.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com