Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How instanced?

A major gamebreaker for me is "sharding" ala CO where you would be constantly reminded you ae changing instance. The immesion is essentially ruined for me. i would much prefer servers, however I fell I am about to be told that it will be sharded?

Comments

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by DeadlyByDez

A major gamebreaker for me is "sharding" ala CO where you would be constantly reminded you ae changing instance. The immesion is essentially ruined for me. i would much prefer servers, however I fell I am about to be told that it will be sharded?

From what I understand, it is the same as CO.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Drachasor

From what I understand, it is the same as CO.

Don't quote me on this, but from what I've heard it's roughly as instanced as CO, but with more people per area. As well, I've heard that you can hear zone chat from all other instances of your zone (if it's public), and teaming (whether by invite or open teaming) is handled easily and you all just jump into the mission zone together.

So in short, roughly the same as CO with more transparency and smoother crossover.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177

yes, i have heard there are lots of shards. you must be psychic.

if they do it in a way  where your loading screen is your ship warping through space, then I think it will be ok. but if they do a deal just like CO where you choose a shard and magically appear in a different zone, then not so good.

there's still Black Prophecy and JGE to look forward to incase STO sucks. there's always a bright side :)

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

sto is 100% instanced, on the bright side theyve done it right, its a smooth tested workable system.  you dont see a list of copies of the zones unless you choose to pull it up, and when youre grouped and you zone you all show up in the same place without having to hop (ala aoc where it was a pain to get everyone in the same place at the same time sucked hard).

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by neorandom

sto is 100% instanced, on the bright side theyve done it right, its a smooth tested workable system.  you dont see a list of copies of the zones unless you choose to pull it up, and when youre grouped and you zone you all show up in the same place without having to hop (ala aoc where it was a pain to get everyone in the same place at the same time sucked hard).

What kind of instancing is it though ? 

The Guild Wars one ( public hubs, but you/your group are alone in the actual adventuring zones ) or the EQ2/Age of Conan/etc one ( outdoor zones are public, once a population cap is hit a new instance pops open ) ?

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Amegashie

The Guild Wars one ( public hubs, but you/your group are alone in the actual adventuring zones ) or the EQ2/Age of Conan/etc one ( outdoor zones are public, once a population cap is hit a new instance pops open ) ?

as far as I understand - both.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by Amegashie

Just like GW

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Both.

Public zones, like social hubs and large battlefields, are instanced only to keep the population under control. Private zones (usually specific to missions) are instanced per group.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • Deadeye31Deadeye31 Member Posts: 50

The way it's done is the way it can be and should be done. It's actually a lot better than CO was. CO felt isolated and lonely, in STO, despite the fears of instances, it's done in a way where it feels wide open and free roaming.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Deadeye31

The way it's done is the way it can be and should be done. It's actually a lot better than CO was. CO felt isolated and lonely, in STO, despite the fears of instances, it's done in a way where it feels wide open and free roaming.

It's the exact same system as CO. Anyone that thinks otherwise is just pulling the wool over there eyes. The only reasion they can cram more people into a instance in STO is because your a space ship that looks almost exactly like the 50 other space ships you see in the zone.

Ground combat is limited to a team of people only. You won't see more then 8 people rather its you and your crew or you and 7 other team members.

Everything is instanced, just like it was in CO. Just like in CO when you zone with a team it attempts to put you in the same zone. But just like CO if the zone it tries to put you in doesn't have enough room it will send you all to different instances. 

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Thomas2006
    Everything is instanced, just like it was in CO. Just like in CO when you zone with a team it attempts to put you in the same zone. But just like CO if the zone it tries to put you in doesn't have enough room it will send you all to different instances. 

It will put a group in different instances if there is only partial room?  That seems crazy.  I would think the design to avoid that would be easy enough...make zones have room for say 120-150 people, but artificially cap it at 100 so that if groups try to get in then they can.  Seems like that would fix the majority of the potential problems.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

STO is heavily heavily heavily instanced...its actually more instanced then CO.  The flight map and the quest / shopping hub are the only places that aren't super instanced.    While CO uses sharding for the areas to explore and find quests and complete quests...STO goes the next level.   The flight map is a sharded instance and I believe the Space Station (quest / shopping hub) are sharded.    But any and every quest you will ever do is inside an instance which is private unless you click a little check box that has the game randomly group you every time you go to a star system or planet.   There are a few public mission style things you can find on the map but they are far and few inbetween.

BTW the chances of your team getting split up is really rare unless your group is attempting to go to a shard thats nearly at max capacity. 

Prepare yourselves for STO the load screen.

I only played CO for about a week before I dropped it. It was very isolated and i don't remember there being a sector map kind of thing that gave so much as the illusion that I wasn't all by myself (except for the other people in that zone at that time).

I don't know what it is about STO but I do know that the kind of instancing they do have is very enjoyable to me. I can play with others in fleet actions as much as I want and then I can go do patrol missions with a small group (I leave Autogrouping on), without risk of the system being farmed to death and waiting around for stuff to spawn.

If the game has to be instanced, then I approve of the way cryptic did in STO. I actually can't really think of a better way they could have done it. I mean, every Star Trek game breaks up star systems and they wouldn't be able to get away with a totally open world like WOW without either a truly massive map or tiny star systems.

Now that i think about it, it sort of is like the books and shows. IRL would be the same way too. Of course being in the next star system over is going to feel isolated, instanced world or not.

And the loading screens aren't much of a problem, but then again I have a quad-core so the loading time is only 5-10 seconds tops.

• DeadlyByDezDeadlyByDez Member Posts: 152

ahhh... I'm not sure if this is going to e for me so. I enjoy feeling a part of something larger. This seems to be a common thing for MMOs over he last year. SW.TOR seems to be going the same way. Whatever happened to thae massively part of the MMOß

ahhh... I'm not sure if this is going to e for me so. I enjoy feeling a part of something larger. This seems to be a common thing for MMOs over he last year. SW.TOR seems to be going the same way. Whatever happened to thae massively part of the MMOß

between the autogrouping feature and the fleet actions, I have never, in my entire time playing STO, which I admit is only about a week, felt alone enough to care. Actually, I feel like I'm doing more with the community than I ever did in WOW. 

how instanced?  110%

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Guilds and idiots arrived who just ruin the Massive side of things , so developers have had to revert to developing instanced near single player games so that people don't have their game experience ruined.

Shakka when the walls fell

Degra his arms wide open

Shakka and Degra at Tenagra

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Isane

Guilds and idiots arrived who just ruin the Massive side of things , so developers have had to revert to developing instanced near single player games so that people don't have their game experience ruined.

I certainly won't miss the spawn campers, gold farmers, or griefers. If a 5-10 second loading screen is all that stands in the way of eliminating that kind of stuff then I'm all for it.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Isane

I certainly won't miss the spawn campers, gold farmers, or griefers. If a 5-10 second loading screen is all that stands in the way of eliminating that kind of stuff then I'm all for it.

Im the complete opposite regarding the loading screens. That is exactly why I left AOC and EQ2. It kills it for me. However, totally understand your point about the spawn campers, gold farmers, or griefers.

There Is Always Hope!

• LektronikLektronik Member Posts: 28

I personally wouldn't mind the instancing that was similarly used in CO, if only the chat extended across all instances and a lot more players are allowed per instance.  I would also love to see the social hubs as one huge instance.  That way there can be large fleet/guild meetings and large parties.  It wouldn't feel right to transport into a starbase and only see 30 people there! 

But with CO, the chat didn't seem extend to all instances (imho) and so each instance was empty...not just of players, but of chat.  (Read:  Very Dull!)

As a former Anarchy Online player, I prefer instancing versus having several servers to choose from.  I just hope it's done right.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Uses  the CO engine for it's ground game.

PVP is 100% INSTANCED! <---that's where they lost me.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by krowxxvii

there's still Black Prophecy and JGE to look forward to incase STO sucks. there's always a bright side :)

As much as Im looking forward to those games I really dont have much faith in them succeeding.

BP is being made by Reakktor who also made NeoCron and we all know how well that turned out. Even though the game is still Live you cant create a new account. Which has been broken for over 3 years.

JGE is made by NetDevil who is also making Lego Universe at the same time. This is the same company who made Auto Assault which was an Epic Fail. Does anyone really think they can do 2 games?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by krowxxvii

As much as Im looking forward to those games I really dont have much faith in them succeeding.

BP is being made by Reakktor who also made NeoCron and we all know how well that turned out. Even though the game is still Live you cant create a new account. Which has been broken for over 3 years.

JGE is made by NetDevil who is also making Lego Universe at the same time. This is the same company who made Auto Assault which was an Epic Fail. Does anyone really think they can do 2 games?

i loved auto assault! me and a buddy would still be playing it, even if we were the last two people on the server.. which we were pretty much haha

• beefaroniapbeefaroniap Member Posts: 78

i actually enjoyed auto assault very much considering it was my first mmo i to would still be playing it if it was live today. lego universe walthrough is on another gaming site looks groundbreaking in terms of kiddie mmos and jumpgate looks great but i think they put that on hold for the lego mmo... i think they can do 2 games yes.. funcom is..