Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So this game only offers instanced PvP?!

2»

Comments

• crunchie12crunchie12 Member Posts: 2

There is noreal  pve for klingons so unless a scen pops your kind of screwed

• DugathDugath Member Posts: 93

Rather dissapointed there is no open world PVP, not that I am a big PvP'er, but it is still a dissapointment

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Christopher8

PvP is accessed in two ways. There are global queues in the UI where you simply pick the scenarios you want to wait in line for and a pop-up window beams you in as soon as one kicks off. The second way is through the map itself. Players can fly to the neutral zone and go to sectors on the map that throw them in line for the queue in question. 

To be honest this sounds awful, especially since as of right now it seems no mater where you are Klingon or Fed, any part of space you have to wait for a scenario to pop. 

Only difference from this game and Warhammer is that it is in space, and WAR had open PvP.

I don't have an answer to this question (especially since in the quote you answered it yourself) but my question is as I see this "complaint" often.  Do you suggest that as say a Klingon you should be able to fly right up to Sol and attack any ship you see flying by?

While I do think that there may have been other things that could have been done other than full on instanced pvp my question is how exactly do you see open world pvp fitting into this world?

From what I see it doesn't as stated a "bunch" of Klingon players really shouldn't get the opportunity to run up to the Sol starbase to attack it as truthfully it breaks lore much more that nost of the other usual complaints seem to.  For one while we all control our ships  we don't really control the missions we embark on and neither the Klingons nor the Federation would send in all those ships to the enemies most fortified position just to watch them die (yeah I know right now it's auto respawn) but we all know that's for the sake of a video game your superiors certainly wouldn't see it that way.

I point this particular scenario out because maybe op this is not what you have in mind when you bring up the pvp design but let's be realistic for a second and think do we really think with full open world pvp this kind of griefing wouldn't be happening?

The bottom line is truthfully since we are all taking our orders from somewhere either the Federation or the Klingon empire open world pvp does not fit the mold of this game.  We all answer to someone, does it work in Darkfall or AOC, sure as barbaric loosely structured societies it makes sense that you could run up to any person/home and do whatever you wanted but you do realize that this type of gameplay just doesn't fit anywhere right?

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• DjfusionDjfusion Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by jaxsundane

PvP is accessed in two ways. There are global queues in the UI where you simply pick the scenarios you want to wait in line for and a pop-up window beams you in as soon as one kicks off. The second way is through the map itself. Players can fly to the neutral zone and go to sectors on the map that throw them in line for the queue in question. 

To be honest this sounds awful, especially since as of right now it seems no mater where you are Klingon or Fed, any part of space you have to wait for a scenario to pop. 

Only difference from this game and Warhammer is that it is in space, and WAR had open PvP.

I don't have an answer to this question (especially since in the quote you answered it yourself) but my question is as I see this "complaint" often.  Do you suggest that as say a Klingon you should be able to fly right up to Sol and attack any ship you see flying by?

While I do think that there may have been other things that could have been done other than full on instanced pvp my question is how exactly do you see open world pvp fitting into this world?

From what I see it doesn't as stated a "bunch" of Klingon players really shouldn't get the opportunity to run up to the Sol starbase to attack it as truthfully it breaks lore much more that nost of the other usual complaints seem to.  For one while we all control our ships  we don't really control the missions we embark on and neither the Klingons nor the Federation would send in all those ships to the enemies most fortified position just to watch them die (yeah I know right now it's auto respawn) but we all know that's for the sake of a video game your superiors certainly wouldn't see it that way.

I point this particular scenario out because maybe op this is not what you have in mind when you bring up the pvp design but let's be realistic for a second and think do we really think with full open world pvp this kind of griefing wouldn't be happening?

The bottom line is truthfully since we are all taking our orders from somewhere either the Federation or the Klingon empire open world pvp does not fit the mold of this game.  We all answer to someone, does it work in Darkfall or AOC, sure as barbaric loosely structured societies it makes sense that you could run up to any person/home and do whatever you wanted but you do realize that this type of gameplay just doesn't fit anywhere right?

Booyah. +1

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

Remind me why the back story of this game is war?

Cause it's, ah, a game where player combatants combat each other?

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Timzilla

Remind me why the back story of this game is war?

Cause it's, ah, a game where player combatants combat each other?

Or maybe because even in the most Utopian pie- in-the-sky Rodenberry periods there was ships fighting each other? Or better yet, maybe it has to do with that fact that it's a game and not an episode of TNG?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    Originally posted by StealthBomb

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

it is a pure PVP game and yet, there are thousands of players that never leave protected space, because they don't like PVP.

And there are also thousands who do. See how that works? You offer something for both groups and your game does well. Offer only one and you lose half the audience. I believe that's what I said in the first place.

And by the way, referring to Eve as a pure PVP game and then pointing out that thousands of players don't PVP is kinda' self contradictory.

If STO had open world PvP, I'd never play it.   I played Eve for a few months and I thought it was fantastic, until I simply wanted to mine some rarer stuff in lower sec areas.    I was jumped and almost lost a not-that-expensive ship.   But that was it for me.   Just a single case of non-consentual pvp was enough to make me perma quit.    It wasn't out of rage; I hadn't lost anything.   It was out of the fact that I don't get to choose when I pvp.   Less choices is usually a negative for me.

To each his own.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

The combat doesn't really suit PVP anyways.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by jaxsundane

^This^

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Rhetorical: used for, belonging to, or concerned with mere style or effect.

Scenarios in WAR were okay for a few weeks then I just felt like playing a fps like TF2 due to it having better pvp.

But who knows if it doesnt work once it could work the second time right?  <Rhetorical: used for, belonging to, or concerned with mere style or effect. ; + a dash of sarcasm;>

Its funny how everyone drowns a new mmo inpraise while in beta or the first month then when the honeymoon is over it crashes and burns.

If Champions was a success or if they were pumping out good content I would see the reason for hope. But come on, when are some going to face reality.

To the op: IMO the game seems like a co-op with basic pvp. Plus one thing i hated about mmorpg scenarios unlike fps you dont play against the same people match after match its just random faces over and over, with no time to build a team dynamic. Sure theres the guild zerg ftw but those matches are never good unless two guilds are going at it.

If I want co-op ill play l4d2 and if I want pvp with classes ill play tf2. Sure this is in space but theme will only carry a game so far then itll be up to the game mechanics.

Only reason i perfer mmorpg pvp over fps pvp is sometimes once in a blue moon theres a mmorpg that has massive pvp. Fighting for land or resources instead of zerging to ur death for no reason but a you win on ur screen like fps.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

evolved, 4 words, friend can group que.  this means unlike tf2 where you can all join the same game but cant neccarily all get on the same team you and however many buddies up to 10 of you can que for pvp games together and walla, you can work together in the pvp games.  people were doing this in daoc, in wow pvp mini games, ect you name it people have been making friends and pvping together since the dawn of mmo pvp.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by neorandom

evolved, 4 words, friend can group que.  this means unlike tf2 where you can all join the same game but cant neccarily all get on the same team you and however many buddies up to 10 of you can que for pvp games together and walla, you can work together in the pvp games.  people were doing this in daoc, in wow pvp mini games, ect you name it people have been making friends and pvping together since the dawn of mmo pvp.

Thats why i mentioned guilds.       "'Sure theres the guild zerg ftw but those matches are never good unless two guilds are going at it."'       But i guess i have to explain everything in detail okay then... Guilds and unofficial guilds. Is that better. 

Ill say it again just for you; guilds, unofficial guilds, people who play with each other regularly,  strangers who have each other in there friends list and goup up when theyre all online. ummmm I cant think of any other way to describe the general idea of what a guild is.

And you bring up another point on fail pvp ques. Team stacking. Nothing says fun like one side being full of anti-social noobs running to there deaths. While the other team is full of players who play with each other day after day after day.

How do clan matches fit into the queing?  or is it just going to be random team vs guild aka friends who group up all the time.

Reminds me of the drama around the new call of duty game.  Queing sucks.  Shoulda took the private server model. since space is huge have solar systems/game rooms in the neutral zone. With guilds having there own system, hell make it where other guilds can claim each others system for a short amount of time. Atleast that would give you something to fight for.

WAR in space but with less pvp.  Wouldnt be surprised if the pve is the same. Go here go there disney theme park style. I bet you could face roll and win every mission. 

Hmmm in a way it is like Star Trek  when the TNG crew were drugged up on that game  that beamed into your eyes; you got a ball into a hole and insta bliss. And Wesley got to the highest lvl cause he figured out the game will win for you.