Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips Please

YhemicYhemic Member Posts: 17

First off, I'm a newbie, as in, I'm still updating the game, newbie.

Now, I've tried the game before I suppose, but only for ten minutes and after that, frustration took over due to the awkward controls and the foreign UI. But I feel more accepting now as time has passed and would like to give it another try.

So could someone give me some tips as to what I can do? Where is the best place to catch a group, what's crafting like, and what's the most populated server?

I know I've got other questions, but I cannot think of them at the moment, when I do, I'll edit this post to include them.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

Comments

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Probably want to check the stickies at the top of the forum. There are plenty of good links and info there.

There is no place to catch a group. You just seek for a party or make one.

There is a tutorial NPC in each starting city that will tell you everything you need to know about how to play, craft, and such.

I don't know what the most populated server is. All I know about is my server Kujata which is pretty decent in size. If you happen to go there, let me know.

The keyboard can be changed to WASD through the in-game config. Don't forget to mess with the settings on the FFXI outside of the game to change resolution and such, since they start out at pretty low settings.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Play all your starting 6 jobs and level them to 10 before you start to party.

First it give you a chance to sample each of the classes to see what you like.

Second it allow you to understand game mechanics a little better with the added practice. And

Third you will be getting money from drops and such that you will conceivability have 6 time what you normally would have.

• YhemicYhemic Member Posts: 17

So which server has the highest population?

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

No one truly knows that. The only way to find that out is to have one person from every server every day during every prime time, do a /sea all on their server and report the numbers, blah, blah, blah...

Can't help you with that. Only know the server I've been on, which is Kujata.

Originally posted by Satimasu

No one truly knows that. The only way to find that out is to have one person from every server every day during every prime time, do a /sea all on their server and report the numbers, blah, blah, blah...

Would I be able to find groups on your server, at lower levels and while progressing. Because you seem like someone who'd be willing to help me with this game. I just made a Black Mage/Tarutaru and all I know is to walk from the city, and kill floating fish. He isn't on your server, he's just an example for how much I know, which is near nothing... :P

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

We do. www.ffxiah.com/data.php

Check the server with highest number of "active" subscriptions. Go there.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

I would think so, or no one would be able to level anymore without FoV. My wife and her cousin didn't seem to have too hard of a time level jobs with parties. Level Sync really helps a lot.

Like I said before, there is a tutorial NPC that is near one of the starting city gates, that teaches you pretty much everything you need to know about the game through quests. But yeah, I help newbies when I can. It's all about getting used to things.

Originally posted by Hyanmen

We do. www.ffxiah.com/data.php

Check the server with highest number of "active" subscriptions. Go there.

That doesn't mean jack really. The top "active" servers on there fluctuate all the time. There are people that don't even use the Jeuno at if rarely.  Don't forget the mules and registered characters on the site. I'm sure every server's character isn't registered.

That doesn't mean jack really. The top "active" servers on there fluctuate all the time. There are people that don't even use the Jeuno at if rarely.  Don't forget the mules and registered characters on the site. I'm sure every server's character isn't registered.

Just using the shared AH is enough. Whitegate or Jeuno, both will register you to the list.

Every character is there. You don't have to be registered to show up on the list. It is fairly accurate, if every server has on average the same number of mules as opposed to main characters and so on (and why wouldn't they?)

If you want to know which server to go to, that list is pretty good indicator.

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Just using the shared AH is enough. Whitegate or Jeuno, both will register you to the list.

Every character is there. You don't have to be registered to show up on the list. It is fairly accurate, if every server has on average the same number of mules as opposed to main characters and so on (and why wouldn't they?)

If you want to know which server to go to, that list is pretty good indicator.

How is every character there? It only shows Jeuno AH transactions, which is also shared by Whitegate and Tavnazia. The only way for a mule to show up is for them to run it to Jeuno. Not everyone does that, so there is no way to tell.

There are also people that use the Jeuno AH rarely. Fishermen can be one of those just from NPCing fish. I know I did that for months, I wouldn't exactly be considered active on there and I know I'm not the only person that has done that. People buy stuff, yes, but not everyone does everything on the AH, at least Jeuno's.

Anyhow, people can do whatever they please.  All I know is the most populated servers should still be locked from new characters.  Just remember that all the characters listed doesn't mean they all play anymore.

How is every character there? It only shows Jeuno AH transactions, which is also shared by Whitegate and Tavnazia. The only way for a mule to show up is for them to run it to Jeuno. Not everyone does that, so there is no way to tell.
    There are also people that use the Jeuno AH rarely. Fishermen can be one of those just from NPCing fish. I know I did that for months, I wouldn't exactly be considered active on there and I know I'm not the only person that has done that. People buy stuff, yes, but not everyone does everything on the AH, at least Jeuno's.
    Anyhow, people can do whatever they please.  All I know is the most populated servers should still be locked from new characters.  Just remember that all the characters listed doesn't mean they all play anymore.

But why should this guy care about a mule showing up there or not in the first place? 

The character stay active even if you're not buying or selling anything every hour. As long as you sometimes use it, that's enough.

The amount of those kind of players should be a clear indicator as to which server this guy should go to. Mules won't really make any difference to him.

Like some of us have said here, the biggest doesn't always mean the best server. That's never a good way to base things. It would be different if every other server was so underpopulated, that you'd have no choice but to go to the biggest one.  That is not the case with this game.

If you like more competition for everything, at the expense of maybe getting a party faster, then be my guest. If you're going to look at FFXIAH, you might as well compare prices of items and equipment on each server and go for the cheapest ones.

Thank you very much for the help.