Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yay Star Trek, Bye Bye EVE

KulthosKulthos Member Posts: 89

Finally, a good sci fi ship game without EVE's overly high death penalty.  I expect secure space to empty out in February.  I certainly won't be playing anymore.  Bye!

Comments

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Kulthos

Finally, a good sci fi ship game without EVE's overly high death penalty.  I expect secure space to empty out in February.  I certainly won't be playing anymore.  Bye!

Besides the fact that both games have spaceships, these two games are almost nothing alike. I don't think either game will be affected much by the other.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

lol..you cant compare eve,... an mmo..to a single player game with co-op online features like sto

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I hope STO is succefull but STO and EVE are really apples and oranges.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

STO has fail written all over it.

Great IP, that has been completely and utterly trashed in the name of making an MMO.

• ZykeZyke Member Posts: 335

Considering the gameplay of both games are about as far from each other as you can get, I don't see World of Trekcraft being too much of a threat.

To all those that enjoy it, I'm happy for you. Most EVE players probably won't.

• cwRiiscwRiis Member Posts: 32

I've pre-ordered STO.  I'll still be playing EVE though.  I too see them as very different games delivering very diferent entertainment value.

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

don't worry. The WOW trolls will crush this game's rep via forums.  They can't stand to have any  other game be popular.

Then again, because it is not a fantasy mmo, maybe it will be the Eve trolls that do it :)

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I will still be playing Eve, but I hope STO does well for those looking for a space game. 

• cwRiiscwRiis Member Posts: 32

You know, thinking about this thread made me realize something.  The day they make a SciFi MMO that combines the ship systems configuration and combat dynamics of EVE, with the POB concept of crewed ships in SWG (actually walking around inside and manning combat systems with your avatars), and FPS avatars (aka STO or Mass Effect/Fallout etc) ....  That's the game I'll likely play exclusively.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

don't worry. The WOW trolls will crush this game's rep via forums.  They can't stand to have any  other game be popular.

Then again, because it is not a fantasy mmo, maybe it will be the Eve trolls that do it :)

WoW fans didnt have to do anything to crush STO's rep. Cryptic has more then done that job themselfs.

• ZykeZyke Member Posts: 335
    Originally posted by cwRiis

You know, thinking about this thread made me realize something.  The day they make a SciFi MMO that combines the ship systems configuration and combat dynamics of EVE, with the POB concept of crewed ships in SWG (actually walking around inside and manning combat systems with your avatars), and FPS avatars (aka STO or Mass Effect/Fallout etc) ....  That's the game I'll likely play exclusively.

You, me, and everyone else.

Unfortunately the cost of making something like this would probably be astronomical :/

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

WoW fans didnt have to do anything to crush STO's rep. Cryptic has more then done that job themselfs.

I fully expect to see the game criticized for things that apply to every other MMO on the market, and also criticized for any innovations(classic WOW troll markings).

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Thomas2006

I fully expect to see the game criticized for things that apply to every other MMO on the market, and also criticized for any innovations(classic WOW troll markings).

I don't think you will have much to worry about there..  STO won't have much in common with WoW.  If anything I would say its a CO with Star Trek graphics and thats saying alot for it.

But you know, let people live and learn. If someone buys it and enjoys that style of game I say more power to them. But if you didn't like CoX and/or CO then you are for sure not going to like STO. Same game engine, same game studio, same mistakes made, same instancing, same single game world setup.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Have non of you even read the 3 part review about STO on this site? ¬.¬

look at the limited amount of weapons, and the limit types of ships,  comments are that its "very very instanced"  "lack of content on planets"

If you think STO will replace Eve, then your going to be very disapointed.

Its unfinished, boring and rubbish. Give it a year or so then it will be worth looking at.

• balduranbgbalduranbg Member Posts: 23

Bye bye! Take care! Have fun to you and the 25 thousand other people, who will be playing this game after 6 moths ;)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yeah I think too that exclusively secure space combat players will go to STO. But the question is how many of Eves customer base belong in that cathegory.

I would guess maybe 10%? A large enough proportion for CCP not be happy but in the long run I dont think they have much to worry about. However I think that is a bad thing. The less CCP has to worry about competition the less inclined will they be to make Eves shortcomings better. Like the UI, dull combat and PvE.

Competition is something good, not bad.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Yamota

Yeah I think too that exclusively secure space combat players will go to STO. But the question is how many of Eves customer base belong in that cathegory.

I would guess maybe 10%? A large enough proportion for CCP not be happy but in the long run I dont think they have much to worry about. However I think that is a bad thing. The less CCP has to worry about competition the less inclined will they be to make Eves shortcomings better. Like the UI, dull combat and PvE.

The UI is fine, just not designed like WOW's, combat is anything but dull when you are facing down a fleet of 20 and wondering if your ship is primary, and the PVE options  in EVE are actually quite good.  (as long as we're not talking about quest driven content)

I doubt the OP is a long time EVE player because STO just won't be offering anywhere near the same gaming experience and if a person really likes EVE, STO just doesn't appeal.  (JGE looks far more interesting)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

I would guess that the number in Empire is much much higher than 10% and probably closer to 25% though of course some of that is the gold miners and botters but there is a very active user base in the NPC corps up in Empire and the recent changes made by CCP hasn't gone over well with most of them. I suspect that many will give STO some consideration though hard to say how many will actually make a move. However, I suspect that a high percentage of the solo mission runners in Empire are more likely to give STO a try. But, I don't see STO being an issue for CCP and the core set of players in Eve. The problem will be that if STO is succesful that it will further reduce the number of new players willing to give Eve a try.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by cwRiis

Along with ground combat, bases, ships, crews, tanks, ground vehicles.

Yeah. A game like that would be a huge undertaking.  And it always made me think SW would be the perfect setting.  A huge galaxy, basically 3 sides, A huge war, Huge ships that you can run around in and fire on other ships.

yeah that is years and years off.

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Kyleran

The UI is fine, just not designed like WOW's, combat is anything but dull when you are facing down a fleet of 20 and wondering if your ship is primary, and the PVE options  in EVE are actually quite good.  (as long as we're not talking about quest driven content)

I doubt the OP is a long time EVE player because STO just won't be offering anywhere near the same gaming experience and if a person really likes EVE, STO just doesn't appeal.  (JGE looks far more interesting)

Just wanted to add that JGE is pretty much dead. Check the forums. It's been over a year since they started accepting beta applications, yet there's been no updates since then. Also one of the main developers recently quit. So yeah, I don't have a lot of hope for JGE.

With that said, I've never been able to get into EVE, as I just couldn't find myself in that universe. It's an interesting game, in that I could imagine EVE as a real universe in the future, and as awesome as that is, it also makes me feel like it's a bit too much like real life (With all the politics, business, etc etc), and I don't think I could play it "casually". 

I've preordered STO and I'm looking forward to it, and I can already tell you now that it won't be as hardcore as EVE in any way, but I expect it too have a lot of great content for Star Trek fans :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Designed like WoWs? What has WoW got to do with anything? I dont play WoW nor do I like that game.

I have however played many games, including spaceship games, and Eves UI is worse than them all. Poor keyboard mapping is the main reason for this and the fact they they are using menus and sub menus makes it even worse. Those makes the UI anything but intuitive and userfriendly and from what I can see it has changed little in the past 6 years.

Also, if figuring out if you are the primary or not is your idea of "fun" combat then lets just say that we have vastly different ideas on how combat is fun. For me it is the tactical options available to me during combat rather the pre-planning which is 99% of the combat in Eve is about.

But I do agree that STO will be vastly different game than Eve. But I dont think people playing Eve just wants to play Eve but rather a space-ship MMORPG and that is what STO will be. It will have nowhere near the complexity, death penalties, scope, economy of Eve but it will have ship and ground combat in a space MMORPG setting so in that regard they are same (except Eve does not have ground combat).

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

(...)

Don't sacrifice your credibility on the alter of fanboyism *g*

EvEs UI _is_ more than a little on the clunky side. Sure, it's responsive an all, but it still features way too many clicks and windows. Sure, once you know them all by heart you know what to do, but even then you click yourself to death, expecially when manufacturing/trading.

And how are the PvE options good, I myself play two games (LotRO and EvE) just because I also like well-made PvE content and EvE really features nothing worthwile at all there. Of course, there's rats to pop and missions/plexes to run, but they all, and I literally mean _ALL_ end up in "kill stuff and collect stuff". There's no story, no suspense, no 'I wanna know what comes next'...

And combat, well that depends, I personally like the tactical side of combat in EvE, in PvP. But if you do PvE, Jesus Christ, it's the most boring thing in the world. You're literally a dot on a radar schematic throwing little flying dots towards other dots on a radar schematic. This is ONLY fun if it's PvP and you're fighting for something meaningful, the enemy is clever and you get that adrenaline pumping.

And therefore, I absolutely agree with the OP. If you stay in secure space and run PvE-combat in EvE there's a huge chance you'll like STO a whole lot better.

If you play EvE - as most people do - for the teamplay-PvP and tactical depth of it, STO won't deliver, at all...

M

• shepx22shepx22 Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by nightbird305

Just wanted to add that JGE is pretty much dead. Check the forums. It's been over a year since they started accepting beta applications, yet there's been no updates since then. Also one of the main developers recently quit. So yeah, I don't have a lot of hope for JGE.

Wrong. Jumpgate Evolution is FAR from dieing. Your reasons are subpar at best. They are in Development and will start letting people in when they feel fit. I'd rather them take the approach they are, and get the game where it needs to be. They have no need to rush this and only putting all there effort into it as its the next game to Jumpgate. This game will be all that much better and a huge success in its own ways.

Star Trek is fun and promising so far, and I enjoy it more so far then I ever did in Eve, but thats me, and I am not a big Trek fan.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

CCP did a study of their game and found that 65% of the player base was in empire space. (PvE portion of the game) Which always amazed me when all of the expansions were for the out of empire folks. CCPs answer: we made the game we wanted to play.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i loled in RL at thread title

BestSigEver :P