Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Child's play withdrawal from fund raising event

MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

I was really really disappointed when I saw the Announcement today, This season we, as players will have a chance to help a charity but we can't do it now because other players sent a QQ to Child's play that's why they decided to withdraw in the event. I was really sad we can't help the children this Chistmas, Even though Ndoors said that their gonna look for a new Charity to give the donations, hope those players have their conscience.

This is the part of the Announcement from AO site:

However, we are saddened to inform you that due to some negative player complaints, Child’s Play has regrettably asked to be withdrawn from our efforts to raise money for their cause. We were informed that Child’s Play received negative emails from Atlantica Online players around the nature of the donation and the box, causing them to request removal from our fundraising efforts.

for more info check out this link:

atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/news/notice_view.asp

Comments

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

Lol. So a bunch of assholes complained about a charity? WTF is wrong with people today?

Oh and to the people who complained - get a life. Seriously, you need to get a life.

Unless stuff was being shoved in your face 24/7 with zero way to avoid it there was no reason whatsoever to complain.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I think people aren't thinking clearly, because somehow a charity is involved.

Why is it acceptable to completely rip off people if a very small fraction of that money goes to charity?

That's exactly what this thing was. A total, massive, complete ripoff.  Only a company like Ndoors would have had the gall to try something as shady and corrupt as this.

Basically, take a $10 gamble box, raise the price by $30, and give $2 of it to charity. How is this a good deal for anyone except Ndoors, which is making basically $28 worth of pure profit, on top of the already obscenely priced $10 gamble boxes.

How would you react is any other company tried the same thing? Raise the price of its product by 400%, then give 5% of that inflated price to charity.

Yes, yes, you are guaranteed something. Clothing. Which is virtually worthless, maybe 250 million a set.  And for this guarantee, you give up 3 extra chances (compared to 4 $10 gamble boxes)  for the item actually worth something.

At any rate, apparently enough people called them on it, and Child's Play realized it wasn't in their best interest to be associated with something so sleazy. Good for them. Some entities, even charities, place ethics and standards above money.

Well, even beside that, it's good for them in the long run. Associating with such crooked promotions really only besmirches their name.  Lending their name to something for so little in return (5%? What a joke) cheapens their image.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• uhjpaeuhjpae Member Posts: 165

I disagree. Because of this box some players already got what they have been dreaming of, the Druid Mercenary. I'm almost sure that even if Ndoors didn't announce that they are giving a percentage of the gross sales to charity, players are still gonna buy the box. And just for the record, 5% of the gross sales is not a small amount. As we can see there are very many players who bought and are still buying the box. Who knows how much they will accumulate with this box...

Just think about it. Anything is better than nothing.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Blizzard did this with that new pet? 10 bucks for the pet, 5 went to charity.

• LexiscatLexiscat Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Swanea

5 of 10 is more then 5% and I guess Blizzard has a better community then Atlantica. /shock and awe

“Nothing excites jaded Grandmasters more than a theoretical novelty”

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Myrean

I was really really disappointed when I saw the Announcement today, This season we, as players will have a chance to help a charity but we can't do it now because other players sent a QQ to Child's play that's why they decided to withdraw in the event. I was really sad we can't help the children this Chistmas, Even though Ndoors said that their gonna look for a new Charity to give the donations, hope those players have their conscience.
    However, we are saddened to inform you that due to some negative player complaints, Child’s Play has regrettably asked to be withdrawn from our efforts to raise money for their cause. We were informed that Child’s Play received negative emails from Atlantica Online players around the nature of the donation and the box, causing them to request removal from our fundraising efforts.

No, what's really sad is boo-hooing how you can't help the children because Ndoors lost the charity. What, you aren't capable of opening your wallet without going through a third party to do it? You can't send a $5 check to Child's Play?

image]image

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Lexiscat

5 of 10 is more then 5% and I guess Blizzard has a better community then Atlantica. /shock and awe

For me the 5% didn't matter... donations to charity are still donations. I think that even if they had no plan of donating they would still price the box the same amount. Hmmm... It is definitely a loss for Child's play... I did purchase a box. partial for personal gain and partial for charity. I do hope they get a new charity soon.

• OnsabooOnsaboo Member Posts: 48

5% is a ridiculous slap in the face to the charity, wow I can't quite believe that

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Zorvan01
    Originally posted by Myrean I was really really disappointed when I saw the Announcement today, This season we, as players will have a chance to help a charity but we can't do it now because other players sent a QQ to Child's play that's why they decided to withdraw in the event. I was really sad we can't help the children this Chistmas, Even though Ndoors said that their gonna look for a new Charity to give the donations, hope those players have their conscience.

No, what's really sad is boo-hooing how you can't help the children because Ndoors lost the charity. What, you aren't capable of opening your wallet without going through a third party to do it? You can't send a $5 check to Child's Play?

Not third party, it is his party. Or why do you think the same 3-4 accounts do constantly post patch notes about new items to buy here, with an additional "oh, this will be sooo goood"?
  • reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

but complaining over charity is way overboard

it they don't like the game service, complain about it, but don't involve charity

i mean seriously it's like you hate a person but instead of bashing him/her, you bashed his friend or relative

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Well said,

but...it WAS a complain about the game service.

To demand 10$ for a gamble box is a joke, a bad one. 40$ for a new class is another. What do you think the game´s quality is like? WoW?

I often play an online cash shop Golf game, named Pangya (since I didn´t find a better one, Shot Online plays weak). When I invest 50$ there, then I have a top equipment and usables for several months.
    If I try to buy equipment at the Atlantica cash shop - just a nice mount or special clothes... what do you think? How many gamble boxes do I need?

• haelikothhaelikoth Member Posts: 116

imo Ndoors made a big mistake by advertising the charity part of the box. it made them look that they were using that to promote the item, unless that was really their intent (if so, they deserved to get burned). as for the people who went out of their way to email CP. seriously, that was screwed up. sure, they got their point across, but at the expense of what? losing the donation. sure 5% is a pathetic amount, but its still something. by having CP reject Ndoors, this also closes possible future donations from the company. if they were unhappy, they shouldve emailed Ndoors instead, and maybe they might have been able to get them to raise the donation amount more.

in any case, whats done is done. i just hope Ndoors learns from this and donates a considerable amount more next time. also, i hope the player base who are unhappy realize that there's a limit to complaining. especially if the less fortunate will be the one losing out.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

... I still don't understand Child's Play.

We have people complaining about something everywhere, why would they give up on a donation that would save people because of some pride and gone along the lines of "oh, received an email complaining about us that I have no idea of who it REALLY comes from, screw the children, our pride is above saving people."

Also this interest from NDoors to constantly blame a few players for this happening is strange. We had the news post, someone who claimed to be a Community Manager from there posting in these forums and now we have another thread on this, coming from someone who is at least a fanboy, if not something else...

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

Well any amount to be given in a charity will do,  as long as they let us know about it and even reveal the percentage that they will give... the box is quite expensive but it's worth it anyway if other players didn't trust Ndoors and they want to ... It's just that the Child's play withdraw the fund raising. But now they let us choose a charity to give the donation.    

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Lexiscat

EQ and EQ2 did the same, they ended up with $20k for Child's Play.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281

^That's cool... I kinda like the idea of various mmos giving out to charity.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

these companies give to charities to look good always seemed to me that your suppose to give because its the right thing to do so the fact companies give to charities and point out how much money i gave totally defeated the giving in the first place

Originally posted by joker007mo

these companies give to charities to look good always seemed to me that your suppose to give because its the right thing to do so the fact companies give to charities and point out how much money i gave totally defeated the giving in the first place

I don't see it that way, I just see it that they really want to share and give a apart of their sales to a charity.... Honestly most of the players contradict anything Ndoors do to the game,  Now that they want to give to a charity still players complain regarding the amount. Imagine in the Stuffer that you can get the most valuable thing like the druid items it cost a lot now in the game.. .And if happens that you get the item, do you think you still complain on the amount of the box for $40? I don't think so, think about the things that we have a chance to get in the box that's why it's expensive..... ^^

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390

I don't see it that way, I just see it that they really want to share and give a apart of their sales to a charity.... Honestly most of the players contradict anything Ndoors do to the game,  Now that they want to give to a charity still players complain regarding the amount. Imagine in the Stuffer that you can get the most valuable thing like the druid items it cost a lot now in the game.. .And if happens that you get the item, do you think you still complain on the amount of the box for $40? I don't think so, think about the things that we have a chance to get in the box that's why it's expensive..... ^^

No, that's why it's pathetically disguised gambling.

image]image

Originally posted by Herodes

Well said,
    but...it WAS a complain about the game service.
    To demand 10$ for a gamble box is a joke, a bad one. 40$ for a new class is another. What do you think the game´s quality is like? WoW?
    I often play an online cash shop Golf game, named Pangya (since I didn´t find a better one, Shot Online plays weak). When I invest 50$ there, then I have a top equipment and usables for several months.

If I try to buy equipment at the Atlantica cash shop - just a nice mount or special clothes... what do you think? How many gamble boxes do I need?

well we all gonna admit that AO won't be as the same standard as of WoW

the gamble boxes is becoming norm to some f2p mmos nowadays (and one bad idea if you ask me), and we gonna admit that korean mmos are petty expensive even if it's f2p, maybe they ae basing on the koean players wnats in their community, but i'm not sure about it

maybe one good option is to tell the devs that players don't want a gamble box and suggest some godd options to replace it

• haelikothhaelikoth Member Posts: 116

if my research is right, Childs Play was founded by the makers of the Penny Arcade comic. so yeah, im not surprised they decided to just pull out.

Originally posted by Zorvan01

No, that's why it's pathetically disguised gambling.

Of course, you have to risk.... that's the gamble, if you don't risk you don't have a chance to get any items specially the druid item :) and you have a choice whether to take a risk on this box or not.

• darkraptordarkraptor Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by Zorvan01 No, that's why it's pathetically disguised gambling.

Of course, you have to risk.... that's the gamble, if you don't risk you don't have a chance to get any items specially the druid item :) and you have a choice whether to take a risk on this box or not.

Yes, but the gamble ndoors have is understandably misleading. People make their own decision to buy or not, but having it attached to anything of chance is a risky decision politically and otherwise.

The blizz/EQ/etc options were a straight up cost, you knew what you get, etc.

/rant

Originally posted by darkraptor

Originally posted by Zorvan01 No, that's why it's pathetically disguised gambling.

Yes, but the gamble ndoors have is understandably misleading. People make their own decision to buy or not, but having it attached to anything of chance is a risky decision politically and otherwise.

That's their way, their different from other games and ever since getting items from their box is random... Like what i've said if you don't want to risk you won't see what you can get... And all Ao players are already used to it..but still we have an option there's a quest line for it.

Originally posted by darkraptor

almost all f2p games are doing this gambling type of gimmicks nowadays, not just ndoors

and for the case of blizzard, lotro, EQ; they are all p2p games and they can add premium items that are cheap without the gambling gimmick as they can still gain a steady income from their monthly subscribers, unlike f2p games they have to rely on the premium item market, so to keep players from spending, they have to think of ways to ensure players will keep on playing..and that's how the f2p system works