Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official: Players banned in beta, are banned in release

Comments

• Tobias3Tobias3 Member Posts: 81

All things considered, the Darkfall release wasn't bad. It was intentionally limited, to break the sales into smaller chunks, because all couldn't get in at once. It was a nightmare trying to buy the game, but once you had it, the game ran fine and with almost all the advertised features present and accounted for. Compared to some launches (Age of Conan, SWG, AO, AC2, WWII Online) I wouldn't consider it a bad launch at all.

BUT, if MO is launching in January, then I weep for them. 

I mean, it might be a good game in a year or so. They did all they could to suck in more money to keep going by selling the game before it was "released". 

It's just a word though, I have considered Mortal Online released ever since they started selling boxes and pre orders at full price. Pay to play beta, more like a release, hiding its flaws under a beta tag. 

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

This is actually a good thing. It sends the right message to the hackers and exploiters. SV should not be some pansy push over company that allows known hackers and exploiters back into the game. So HURRAY FOR SV! 

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

I agree that DF release was not bad at all, and if MO releases this month you can say it will be the final nail for them.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

So they are banning cheaters, and you are trying to twist it into a negative? Can't say I'm surprised, but you are trying to blow something good out of proportion into something bad. Nice try.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

If they continue cheat and ruining for them a ban suits well.  Are you feeling sorry for the cheaters?

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Ummm...the DF release was horrible.  From the credit card problems, to the hacks, to the broken AI...DF didn't have a smooth launch at all.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I would be upset if people that got banned during beta got to get in at release.

It's nice to see companies that don't let people get away with stuff and don't let them get off easy.

• Tobias3Tobias3 Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by junzo316

Ummm...the DF release was horrible.  From the credit card problems, to the hacks, to the broken AI...DF didn't have a smooth launch at all.

The AI was broken for, quite literally, a day and a half. The server was out of synch, that's it. A small handful of people had issues with their credit cards buying from Greece, nothing to do with Aventurine. The hacks were the same as any MMO, not more, not less. And very quickly, the vast majority of them were banned. 

As for twisting this to be negative, banning cheaters is fine, releasing a game at this state, means they can't hide behind their beta tag anymore, and will take the full brunt of criticism. 

• GaraPGaraP Member Posts: 10

I thought that by now there would be a lot more of "Lolz, MO is gunna fail" by now.

Anyway, there still isn't an official release date, they said that it's aimed to this month, if everything goes well. It would be better to get another delay, yes, but money isn't infinite and when it needs to be launched, it needs.

And I really don't care if MO has a crappy launch, sure it will have, but if it gets a good player base to support it at first, it will be the best MMO out there in 1-2years.

Looking for new sig...

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I would have guessed the cheaters would be thanked in beta, because it is because of them that the dev knows that problems they need to fix so they cannot be done after release. Isn't that one of the purposes of beta afterall to find exploits and other issues that compromise the game?

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

You linked the same forum thread twice. Nice.

They will delay the release, and if they don't, I will enjoy the reviews. Also, I'm in the "If these people are willing to cheat in a beta, then they'll cheat in the real game. You don't get a warning if you're caught cheating on your test, you get a 0" camp. Good move SV.

Originally posted by BloodDuality

I would have guessed the cheaters would be thanked in beta, because it is because of them that the dev knows that problems they need to fix so they cannot be done after release. Isn't that one of the purposes of beta afterall to find exploits and other issues that compromise the game?

Find a bug, report, get a gold sticker and a pat on the back.

Find a bug, exploit it, ignore warnings, continue to exploit it, and get banned, then complain about it? Fail.

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

I wish I could hold off on my free month of play from pre-order to six months from now because I have zero interest in what is going to be a catastrophic release.

• colutrcolutr Member Posts: 333

This 'official' statement isn't official. Not until the company puts it in their policy does it become official. All it is now is someone copypasting something they read on IRC, where the devs constantly say that irc is not official. Then everyone is speculating on what they think this unofficial statement means.

But if it is true then, serves them cheaters right, time is money and everyone who used hacks and cheats isn't banned. people who submitted information to the devs on what they did and how they hacked/cheated were helping, while others were just costing the company time figuring out what causes the problems.

• FeragFerag Member Posts: 23

finding cheats/hacks was encouraged, using them at the cost of server stability was not.  apparently the dev's contacted all the people they caught, then there was some level of cooperation that was required between the hackers and the devs.  As far as i know they only banned the people who continued to hack after being contacted, but their policy on live with be instaban.

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Tobias3

The AI was broken for, quite literally, a day and a half. The server was out of synch, that's it. A small handful of people had issues with their credit cards buying from Greece, nothing to do with Aventurine. The hacks were the same as any MMO, not more, not less. And very quickly, the vast majority of them were banned. 

As for twisting this to be negative, banning cheaters is fine, releasing a game at this state, means they can't hide behind their beta tag anymore, and will take the full brunt of criticism. 

the AI was broken for more then a day and a half, a large amount of people were getting doubled on credit card charges, in more places then just greece, and the hacks were FAR MORE rampant then any mmo ever, let alone at launch. most mmos have problems with hackers, DF they were the playerbase!

as for mortal, love the banning of cheaters, god help them if they are launching this month though.....

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I could at least launch DF client....since few versions back MO refuses to revise files on my PC and crashes. That's a common bug and it is like few weeks before release. I really want that game to succeed but it has a hardly playable beta client.

Tell me that they at least did something about:

- awful hit detection

- bugged weapon reach

- unsyncronised animation with the actual state of a character. Example: I don't see a guy shooting a bow or swing a sword and somehow he manages to hit me...

- mount animation / speed

- where the hell are proper textures, forests, foliage and speed tree  ?

- a client which can be launched ?

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Comnitus

Originally posted by BloodDuality

Find a bug, report, get a gold sticker and a pat on the back.

Find a bug, exploit it, ignore warnings, continue to exploit it, and get banned, then complain about it? Fail.

Pretty much. Although it's more like - Exploit a bug to prove it's repeatable while reporting it, get a gold star.

Exploit a bug to try to get ahead in a beta, get banned and be called a complete moron.

If you actually write an illegal program to modify the client then you're a straight up hacker who will only ever do it again. Perma-bans ftw.

I like the policy. I hope that anyone they ban for cheating in the future has their credit cards permanently denied.

Though if what a lot of people are saying about MO is true, and not exaggeration from burnt-out mmo gamers then if they release this month things are going to be both sad and hilarious. Though keep in mind they've always said that they weren't going to release with everything perfect. AV never said that about DF and trying to say that that's what they did in some brilliant plan is just plain stupid.

SV said months and months ago their release client wasn't going to be everything they wanted it to be, but it would have all the features in at least. So if they keep that promise then to be honest there isn't anything anyone gets to say about it. Unless everything is buggy and laggy as hell, which isn't what most people complain about. Most people complain about graphics (for some reason...they look fine), animations and lack of content.....which that last one just shows that they didn't understand what they were getting into.

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722

prow stop linking to my threads...

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I'm really hoping this game turns out good.   The more games that break the theme park mold, the better this genre will be.  That being said, they better not release this game in a half ass state or it will be doomed.

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

He was trying to throw in some crap about MO releasing this month too, but he couldn't produce a link so he changed the title. Lol. He had no official release date, that's why.

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722
    Originally posted by Comnitus

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

He was trying to throw in some crap about MO releasing this month too, but he couldn't produce a link so he changed the title. Lol. He had no official release date, that's why.

Wish they would tell us whats going on instead of saying "it will release next month" in their newsletters.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Thats good, now I'm thinking on getting it.

• r1tualr1tual Member Posts: 559

I think this really shows StarVaults integrity as game players instead of developers.  That have a passion for their game that you dont see in alot of developers who seem to be about money.  Sure StarVault is a business and they have to run it as so but at least they are designing the game they want to play. 

I think this policy is great and I look forward to helping report cheaters and making this a great MMO community.

Cheaters watch your back!