Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why use real-time combat...

2»

Comments

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by altairzq

I played Age of Chivalry for a while, because everybody in MO official forums was saying that combat in MO would be very similar, and honestly I never played a more dull and absurd combat. Hope they were wrong.

Yeah, it was fun for a while, but I think they overdone it.

Over realistic combat is pretty boring, it feels clunky and has close to no action, other than timing a hit.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by Thenarius

I played Age of Chivalry for a while, because everybody in MO official forums was saying that combat in MO would be very similar, and honestly I never played a more dull and absurd combat. Hope they were wrong.

Over realistic combat is pretty boring, it feels clunky and has close to no action, other than timing a hit.

As it happens often in videogames, if you try to mimic reality in a simple way, like they have in AoCh, it doesn't work, because you are not aware of what is happening and what are you doing as you are in the real world. You need something else to mimic reality.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Erowid420

You do understand that Mortal Online is a MMORPG, don't you..?   It's not a simple FPS game, that just needs fast arcade action, right..? 

FPS combat with manual aiming, manual blocking and manual dodging has nothing to do with actual complexity of the game.

Submarine or flight simulators are pretty complicated - but still happen in real time and don't have auto-aim. Real time is not the same as fast arcade action. 

It's obvious that FPS skills will give advantage in 1 vs 1 situations - and good Counterstrike player will kick your ass.

But when game itself is complex enough, and it's 5 vs 5 situation - FPS real time combat just adds another level of complexity, not seen in typical WoW clone. Both Counterstrike players and WoW arena heroes will need to learn a lot to become any good at it.

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

That is *exactly* what MO's combat is like, just add things like desync and lag, and you have MO.

Oh, and everybody uses the same weapon because there's no reason not to. So as opposed to Age of Chiv, where you have multiple play types, MO really has only one melee style.

• Erowid420Erowid420 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by HerculesSAS

That is *exactly* what MO's combat is like, just add things like desync and lag, and you have MO.

Oh, and everybody uses the same weapon because there's no reason not to. So as opposed to Age of Chiv, where you have multiple play types, MO really has only one melee style.

{ Mod Edit } . You do realize that almost every comment you've made over the last 2 months has been fixed! Combat, with all the skills and the server lag will be fixed!

Do you honjestly think StarVault was going to release the game de-synced..? You are a cynic and a troll..!

- Knowledge is power, ive been in school for 28 years!

Man, you butt-sore ego must really be acking. You do realize that almost every comment you've made over the last 2 months has been fixed! Combat, with all the skills and the server lag will be fixed!

Do you honjestly think StarVault was going to release the game de-synced..? You are a cynic and a troll..!

I'm not a cynic, I'm a realist. What comment have I made that has been "fixed"? Please, elaborate.

Combat is a love it or hate it system. I hate it, because it's got no depth and it takes little to no skill. This hasn't changed. Lag is atrocious even BEFORE this patch -- did you attend the "beta" event? There were say, ~200 people there and the game was basically unplayable. And it's not people's systems either -- the systems are good, it's the way the game is designed from the ground up.

I understand you want the game to be great. Some of the things will be fixed like minor bugs and badly implemented systems like theivery. But the client side data, the huge lag problems, the skill system that really only affects crafting and doesn't diversify combat at all well... that's a LOT of work. It's not to say it can't be done, but in a timeframe that allows them to stay in business isn't exactly a good bet.

• Erowid420Erowid420 Member Posts: 93

Man, you butt-sore ego must really be acking. You do realize that almost every comment you've made over the last 2 months has been fixed! Combat, with all the skills and the server lag will be fixed!

I'm not a cynic, I'm a realist. What comment have I made that has been "fixed"? Please, elaborate.

Combat is a love it or hate it system. I hate it, because it's got no depth and it takes little to no skill. This hasn't changed. Lag is atrocious even BEFORE this patch -- did you attend the "beta" event? There were say, ~200 people there and the game was basically unplayable. And it's not people's systems either -- the systems are good, it's the way the game is designed from the ground up.

I understand you want the game to be great. Some of the things will be fixed like minor bugs and badly implemented systems like theivery. But the client side data, the huge lag problems, the skill system that really only affects crafting and doesn't diversify combat at all well... that's a LOT of work. It's not to say it can't be done, but in a timeframe that allows them to stay in business isn't exactly a good bet.

Can you explain to the community what "I hate it, because it's got no depth and takes little to no skill" means...?  Please!

You make a claim, that isn't supported by the majority of the community, yet it's steadfast with you. But you never acknowledge the specifics and try and slide on "Mortal Online's combat sucks"...

I say, it only sucks, because your expectation of what this game was and is going to be, is vastly different than what you wanted!  Which, reading your many post seems like you wanted Mortal Combat.. an action arcade game!

Secondly, Theivery system is great, just like UO. Given... when it was first implamented StarVault didn't implament the check and balances (such as detection)... but that wasn't needed to test the MECHANICS of the theivery system.

Though, upon release, you'd have to be a complete and utter retard to think that how it is now, is how it would be upon release... because it isn't even complete. You know this... so why even mention it?

Lag..?  

Yeah... if no Development team fixes their latency problem during beta, then they will surely fail! That has been no different in any online game developed! That is what beta is fore, to fix, optimise and code. I am quite sure StarVaults net-code is up to the task. If not, then SV will just have to upgrade to more robust server farm ($$). But they know that too....  whats your point?

{ Mod Edit }

- Knowledge is power, ive been in school for 28 years!

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

The game is in Beta still, also keep the personal attacks out of posting.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677
    Originally posted by corpusc

all the MMOs that have come out have thought they were making something fun and different.  or at least put on a good show CLAIMING such.   and we see the same old crap for 10 years now.

i really don't understand why anyone would suggest that we don't try anything ACTUALLY new and different for a change.

you got around 300 MMOs to choose from that do it the old way.  i'm sure you have not played all of them.  if you can't find anything fun in that selection........ maybe its time for something new and different?

This, bring on the real time combat.

Originally posted by djnexus

Originally posted by corpusc

all the MMOs that have come out have thought they were making something fun and different.  or at least put on a good show CLAIMING such.   and we see the same old crap for 10 years now.

i really don't understand why anyone would suggest that we don't try anything ACTUALLY new and different for a change.

you got around 300 MMOs to choose from that do it the old way.  i'm sure you have not played all of them.  if you can't find anything fun in that selection........ maybe its time for something new and different?

This, bring on the real time combat.

I agree with the previous poster -- i want something new and different.

MO's combat system is basically Age of Chivalry's combat system. Except less balanced and slower.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by Galadourn
    ...in an MMO, when the drawbacks and limitations it imposes are so many? Why not design a fun and intuitive traditional combat system (point-and-click) and simply make it open-ended so that you don't have limitations as to when you can swing/use an ability?

Because that's the kind of game that they want to make, which many of us like.. If one doesn't like it.. one doesn't need to play it?

It's like buying a smartcar, then complaining that it is small and doesn't have the strength to haul a large trailer. Why'd you buy it then? heh.