Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This was possibly the greatest MMO ever. I'm giving it an award.

Comments

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852
    Originally posted by Irish

After reading a few threads and agreeing with the reality that this entire genre blows due to it's inability to reach it's own potential, I hereby declare this game the "Most MMO-like MMO."
    Now, from day one, I thought the combat blew, and the controls and overall movement were clunky. Everything else in this game was great.
    Those who wanted crafting got it, those who wanted non-combat classes got it, those who wanted PvP got it, those who wanted PvE got it. Space travel was added in along with the ability to walk around on your ship. Tangible player housing and shops. Vehicles and/or animal mounts.
    This game did so much right, that I didn't give two shits about the combat. Just standing around was fun in this game, provided you were in a cantina or a place with fellow unsavory folk. It did take some time to get to that point, however.
    As the point I was trying to get across has already been brought to light, there is no need to read any further. This is just more of me talking.
    While the CU may have put a damper on the game for the pro-combat players (and then the dreadful NGE), I don't think it can be solely blamed for the destruction of this game. I am always a combat-class and love shooting/stabbing things in the face, and to be honest, it didn't stop me from playing.  Maybe because I thought combat was crap from the get-go.
    This game was more MMO than WoW could ever hope to be. What Warcraft had on it, was, smoother combat, and less clunkiness in the control. That may be the only thing it really has on any other MMO. Not to say this is some small thing, but in comparison to all Galaxies had to offer, it really did pale in comparison.
    SWG had crouch, prone, crawling. Sure, the planets looked like complete ghettos with all the player housing strewn about and maybe they eventually rendered the main towns deserted, but I could come out of my house in my boxers on an early twin-sun Tatooine morning, stretch, and proceed to pop Krayt Dragons in the face. Then /bmoc and /airguitar myself and log out.
    It was hard NOT to rp in a game where you were truly living it. The more I talk about it, the more I want to fruitlessly reinstall and resub once again. The only other MMO that comes close to that for me is DAOC.
    I remember the first article I saw about SWG, I was imagining these retarded-sized space battles with ship boarding and important players taking part in them. While I hung in the cantinas planet-side, a big fish in a small pond, ignoring the greater threat and shooting things that anger me in the face. I didn't quite get that, but I got a story equally as worthy of remembrance.
    While it may not be the same as Galaxies, I'm looking to SW:TOR to pay homage to it's predecessor and at least give a brotha some boxers, housing, and spaceships with a side of cantina. Somewhere down the road anyhow.
    Sorry if most of this has been incoherent, as I am just coming off a sickness of craptastic proportions. Not exactly up on my nutrients. Anyhow, my tirade is now over, here's to SWG, the real /bmoc.

Thank you for writing this.  It was very entertaining and pretty much right on the money.  Since I'm also sick and delirious I'm going to vote for you in the most awesome-ist poster of the day contest.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by greed0104

SWG had its perks and it had the right idea, sadly I thought it was poorly executed.
    World
    Pros
    Open room means more elbow room.
    Cons
    Bland, nothing worth seeing.
    Felt dead,  I felt the world being to open made it feel to empty.
    Rage of the Wookiees added the feeling of being in a living world but overstepped and landed in a far to linear world design making the planet feel like a maze and less like a world.

PvP 
    Pros
    The Overt and Covert system was a great Idea
    Was risky giving the player a rewarding feeling when coming out victorious
    Random PvP encounters gave an adrenaline rush of both fear and excitement when seeing the red dot slowly moving towards you.
    Cons
    (note: Depends on Server)
    Most Players refused to PvP
    PvP servers were defined by the player, joining one with little to no PvP without checking the forums meant you were screwed or had to start over.
    PvP players were often shunned.

PvE
    Pros
    Supported both solo and grouping
    Fun and familiar world encounters (Krayt Dragon, Rancor)
    Gave options in progression
    Cons
    Encounters are only fun for the first time
    Terminal Missions were completely boring and often recycled only to be randomly placed in another area

Crafting
    Pros

Had importance, required to make the world go round
    Room for fame, a little hard work and you could be known for some of the best crafted items around.
    Lots and lots of depth
    Cons
    Felt like a second job

Professions
    Pros
    Almost every play style was supported
    Many class combinations
    Playing a Smuggler felt like a Smuggler (goes for every class)
    Cons
    Certain activities made you feel your class was lacking for the situation
    Was sometimes forced into a FOTM build

Player Cities
    Pros
    Because who doesn't want a home beside a beautiful river on Dantooine?
    More room for fame, building a great city and advertising it could bring many visitors and businesses
    Cities  could be built on many planets giving the player some satisfactory with his surroundings of choice
    Almost complete freedom to do what you want with the territory
    Cons
    Cluster F***, best word for this, most of the time cities were horribly placed and often very cluttered
    Finding a place to build a home or city was often a challenge when it shouldn't have been
    As if cluttered wasn't bad enough, lots of cities were abandoned in the great massacre of the chanNGE
    Sometimes...freedom isn't such a great idea. Nothing like running into buildings named "Waffles House of Pain!L!L!" to Kill the Immersion.

Community
    Pros

Very polite
    Was mostly helpful
    Cons

None
    (unless of coarse you want my opinion on those same (grieving) players today...which I don't think you do)

The only other amazing thing SWG did was the Bounty System, it was thought out very well. If ToR should ever go with a BH system, something similar to this would be the right idea.
    I also left out Space, I'm very Biased on that subject, In short I felt it was horribly done and extremely boring, why nobody can make space fun and interesting has me confused. My final thought on SWG would be it was nothing more then a Casual Social Sim City, to many things were an after thought.

Greed, love the enthusiasm of your post and it is well backed, which is all the better. I agree that the execution of some of those ideas weren't perfect, but they really made this game stand out, in my opinion. I will say, however, I got a decent amount of enjoyment in space. Now that is the kind of expansion MMO's should be making now. Completely gave the game a new lung to breathe out of, in my opinion (okay, it wasn't the biggest lung).

While it was no X-Wing versus Tie Fighter action-wise, it had so much depth that I really loved it. Dropping down planet-side to scour the player shops for great deals and upgrades, heading back up to shoot stuff and be lazy, alone, and pathetic on my ship. The TKM meditate on the top-floor  of the Luxury Yacht was great, too.

The only problem is that it was pretty barren out there. Perhaps some forced PvP space zones would have been great and really livened things up.

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

There was alot of potential at launch but it was overshadowed by bugs, incomplete features and boring gameplay.  Mediocre reviews and flas in the pan subs (estimated 300k  players max ever) spelled doom for SWG from the get go. Instead of focusing on features  and storylines (Cry of Alderaan) we were give hologrinds and nerf BH vs Jedi nerfs and additions. Classes were pushed aside or ignored completely.  Bug fixes were sporadic and alot of the time open doors to new bugs in its place.
    Greed, you had some good points and I can agree with almost all of them, but finding those features took time and a whole lot of paitence, which is something alot of MMO players sorely lack.

Good post, Baron. It was buggy as hell and incomplete, but there was so much more life in this game than any other I have experienced. I'm talking community, friendly people, not-so friendly people, cantina duels, twi-lek lapdances. Okay, the last one was a tad ridiculous, but my point is that this game didn't really shine from technical achievement, it was from something else entirely.

I'll list a couple finer points I haven't really mentioned that made this game worth being a part of.

-It was a pretty gorgeous game in it's day.

-You had the ability to be whatever class you could conjure up within your skill point allowance.

-In it's prime, you would never notice this game wasn't as commercially successful as WoW. Players were, for the most part happy. Even 300k subs at max wasn't unimpressive at the time, as far as I thought.

-There was a disgusting amount of things to do and see outside of the usual MMO mechanics such as questing/grinding/crafting.

-Being in a line for buffs was actually fun (and this was post-CU...GASP!).

What I loved was that this game really new how to get players together. Cantinas, Med Centers, 1st Jedi in Coronet staring, Spaceport waiting for shuttle, etc. This is the kind of thing that MMO's nowadays just don't grasp.

I used to crawl from Eisley to Entha in my boxers in support of the blind for no other reason other than I could. Sure, I've had moments in other MMO's (streaking through Tarren Mill avoiding 60's pre-BC in WoW, A big PvP battle in DAOC), but SWG just left me with so many more than any other game. I think, in the end, that's what it's all about.

edit: I also would like to mention that my toon likely still has broken Cries of Alderaan quest items in his inventory. It was many these things that really nickeled and dimed people like me into resenting how things never got fixed. Broken bounty hunter missions were the woooooooorrrsst. Especially before vehicles.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Agree with the OP.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832
    Originally posted by TUX426

BOTH posts are great observations!!!
    Sadly, I feel SWG's days are numbered. In his interview with Massivley, this is how Smedley replied to the question about both games (SWG and ToR) co-existing:
    We would be happy to do that. The question is, is there enough of a subscriptions base for that. I'm anxious to play that game too, I think they're going to make a great game. Is there still going to be a subscriptions base for Galaxies, or will everyone go play the new game?
    If the subscriber numbers were a concern on October 27th, 2008, I have no doubt they're an even BIGGER concern now.

I think SWG is here to stay for the time. Lucas Arts has no problem with milking as much money as they can from their fan base, so why not gather from both pots (SWG and TOR)?  People have been crying the death of SWG for almost 5 years now. Every new game release is prompted by some to be the "SWG-killer", yet there it is still pumping along with TCG updates, game updates and other features.

Will it get a new expansion and tons of new players? No, I don't think so.

Will it keep its current dedicated player base with small fluctations up and down? I think it will for the next few years.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I'm going to crawl out of the woodwork long enough to agree with the OP here.

Unfortunately, SWG was a lot like that episode of Seinfeld:

"What if you had a pizza SO good, that you could never eat any other pizza again?"

Almost every other MMORPG tastes like cardboard now, leaving me with a craving that I can never satisfy.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I'm going to crawl out of the woodwork long enough to agree with the OP here.
    Unfortunately, SWG was a lot like that episode of Seinfeld:
    "What if you had a pizza SO good, that you could never eat any other pizza again?"
    Almost every other MMORPG tastes like cardboard now, leaving me with a craving that I can never satisfy.

That about sums it up!

• godseek3rgodseek3r Member Posts: 76

Agreed.

Playing - Champions Online
    Unsure Of - Darkfall, Star Trek Online
    Waiting For - Star Wars: The Old Republic, All Points Bulletin
    Played - Age Of Conan, Everquest II, Mabinogi, Tabula Rasa, Star Wars Galaxies, World Of Warcraft

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I'm one of those that thinks pre-CU SWG was abou tthe best MMO experience I've had to this date, I didn't mind the CU either as pvp actually got fun after a few months of fixes. City of Heroes is the only other MMO game I can think of that remained sane after all these years, even WoW has changed and gotten so dumbed down that it isn't even funny. I'm waiting for SWTOR myself, playing CoH & Aion at the time being.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Every so often, I pull out my SWG Collectors Edition and mourn a little. Sony had a real good thing going here. All they had to do was fix the game, root out the bugs. Instead, we got the stupid holocron derby, which was the beginning of the end. The NGE then nailed the coffin shut.

My character's class was completely eliminated and the infuriating thing was the discussion on the forums where our Community Lead was instructed to get ideas for what we Creature Handlers wanted to see in the game. Some good ideas were being suggested and we finally felt that Sony was listening. If memory serves, the NGE bombshell dropped within the week. This is where the betrayal is felt, knowing that all the while they were asking us for suggestions, they had a secret team working on a complete reset. I have to wonder where SWG would be today if Sony had put their efforts into fixin what was broken instead of sabotaging what was already built.

That said, my experiences up to that point were my best gaming days to date. Nothing else even comes close. I just wish I'd had the foresight to take more screenshots.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

Originally posted by LordDraekon

Every so often, I pull out my SWG Collectors Edition and mourn a little. Sony had a real good thing going here. All they had to do was fix the game, root out the bugs. Instead, we got the stupid holocron derby, which was the beginning of the end. The NGE then nailed the coffin shut.
    My character's class was completely eliminated and the infuriating thing was the discussion on the forums where our Community Lead was instructed to get ideas for what we Creature Handlers wanted to see in the game. Some good ideas were being suggested and we finally felt that Sony was listening. If memory serves, the NGE bombshell dropped within the week. This is where the betrayal is felt, knowing that all the while they were asking us for suggestions, they had a secret team working on a complete reset. I have to wonder where SWG would be today if Sony had put their efforts into fixin what was broken instead of sabotaging what was already built.
    That said, my experiences up to that point were my best gaming days to date. Nothing else even comes close. I just wish I'd had the foresight to take more screenshots.

Luckily for me, I was an ss-taking madman for my duration of SWG. They are safely stowed away on a couple cd's.

Just two days ago, I also opened up my collector's edition and gazed upon what was, what wasn't, and what could have been. And that ugly pewter zabrak chick with the blaster. I considered wearing the sweet pin. That would be +5 Morale and -10 Awesome.

As for the classes, it was a shame to see a beautiful concept just taken away and dumbed down. It's laughable to think that SOE at one point had a meeting and came up with the conclusion that "less is more." Nope. I like more. It matches it's own definition.

I gave Fallen Earth a go for a month or so, and it bared some striking similarities to SWG, even down to the clunkiness in movement and combat. But, at the same time, it's like they mashed in some NGE flavor. It could be a promising game...it even has Tiggs from SWG moderating.

But the reality is that the IP, in my opinion, is more of the same post-apoc stuff we have been bombarded with for a while now. Sure, Borderlands is decent with friends. As is Fallout 3 (though it is no FO1 or 2, and like a big-budget mod/reskin of Oblivion), but compared to the galaxy far, far away, it's laughably dry and boring. Sci-Fi is such a broad thing to use in a MMO. Space, different planets, different species- it's perfect for adding to. Never taking away. Star Wars Sci-Fi? All the better!

Fallen Earth really struck me as a SWG pseudo-clone, that really hasn't improved upon the original game at all. While it is definitely capable of delivering the goods, to me, it really feels like a step back or at most, to the side from 2003/2004 (was that when SWG was out?). I don't mean to come off as bashing it, but truly, it is no SWG in it's prime at current state. Maybe it will never be, though I find it hard to not improve something when you have clearly seen a similar game crash and burn. Can't ask for a better research tool than a guinea pig everyone has watched slowly die.

Anyhow, in my current bitterness and despair, where I e-travel the world in search of my e-holy grail, I have resubbed to AoC so I can be disappointed yet again. The blood is reminiscent of Dragon Age, so maybe it will hold me until ME2 or the DA:O expansion comes out. Perhaps next week it will be Lotro.

It's sacrilege for a Star Wars-exclusive fan to dabble in Star Trek, so that is out of the question. Men like me don't trek, we war.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Precu SWG is my favorite mmo for all the reasons you mentioned, and many of those same things are still in the present game.  But one of the things that made it so interesting to me were all the professions and the skill based system.  Aside from that, the clunkiness of the combat and user interface are a great detractor. 

In the right hands I think this game could be my favorite game again, assuming the community came back to atleast some semblance of what it once was.  I guess that is never going to happen though, so life goes on.  New games, new experiences, maybe I will find a game I enjoy as much as I enjoyed Precu SWG.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I'll give it an award: The Golden Tombstone.

Best game to ever be buried by the misguided/stupid attempt by management to swap an existing paying playerbase for a theoretical one who are fans of another game.

Here's to the Golden Tombstone award! 

/raises glass

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I have to wonder how many people would have quit WoW completely and continued with SWG if Sony hadn't been so wrong-headed.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

I have to wonder how many people would have quit WoW completely and continued with SWG if Sony hadn't been so wrong-headed.

I've thought about that on many occasions. Certainly WAY more than those playing now.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

I've thought about that on many occasions. Certainly WAY more than those playing now.

The potential has always been there for swg to take a major portion of the market, but 2005 didn't kill that.  June 2003 did.

Pushing the game live long before it was ready for a public release permanently crippled the games ability to achieve and retain.  Everything after that date has just been a series of bad choices that has caused further damage. 

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Irish

Maybe a year and a half, that sounds about right. Every time I get my mindset into sci-fi and Star Wars I get tempted to see it again.

A lot has changed since then.  I'd at least roll a trial and log into Test Center to set your character to instant level 90 with all the uber gear using the Character Builder terminals. 

Costs you nothing.

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65

I agree with the OP. This game was and still is the best MMO i have ever played. I'm a mad starwars fan and i still cant bring myself to play the NGE, I tried i realy did.

Too be honest i would rather play SWG pre CU or CU over the TOR, or any other game out there. Its the only game i still think about and long to play. I had so much fun in SWG and met some great people who i still speak with today.

Damn you SOE and i blame LA the most!

Still gets my hearts strings now even thinking about the game we have lost. I know its sad but i know there are thousands out there just like me. Its a shame SOE and LA dont realise this and give us back the game we loved.

• stinneystinney Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Palatine

I agree with the OP. This game was and still is the best MMO i have ever played. I'm a mad starwars fan and i still cant bring myself to play the NGE, I tried i realy did.
    Too be honest i would rather play SWG pre CU or CU over the TOR, or any other game out there. Its the only game i still think about and long to play. I had so much fun in SWG and met some great people who i still speak with today.
    Damn you SOE and i blame LA the most!
    Still gets my hearts strings now even thinking about the game we have lost. I know its sad but i know there are thousands out there just like me. Its a shame SOE and LA dont realise this and give us back the game we loved.

I too loved the original SWG. I started playing a little late. When JTL came out.

I'm a massive Xwing/Tie fighter fan so all I wanted to do was pilot a Tie Interceptor. That was my single goal when I started playing SWG.

The ground game was so immersive, I never actually got around to doing it. I played for about a year without doing what I initially set out to do, because I was having so much fun doing the other things.

The only time I actually achieved my initial goal was when the NGE came out and I played the rest of my annual subscription in space, because that was left relatively untouched. I still didn't like how Older ships (from the prequel movies) were way better than the newer (original trilogy) ones.

I really tried hard to like the NGE but couldn't. Its the most rediculous system I've ever had the misfortune to encouter.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Daffid011

The potential has always been there for swg to take a major portion of the market, but 2005 didn't kill that.  June 2003 did.

Pushing the game live long before it was ready for a public release permanently crippled the games ability to achieve and retain.  Everything after that date has just been a series of bad choices that has caused further damage. 

I agree that if they pushed out a polished game they would have retained that first wave of people, it did retain a good population even though alot of the game was unfinished, no vehicles no ships and from what I heard Jedi wasnt even coded in till a month or two after launch.   

I was just argueing about Sandboxes and that they can make money.    Look at SWG, 2003 it had 300k subs, and about 300k till the CU.    They made about 207 million on subs up till the NGE, not including the box sales, which SOE braggs at over one million boxes sold.  Figuring about 30 million on box sales, a Uncle Owen Sandbox made SOE and LA;  $ 237,000,000 in just 4 years.     

Now look at after the NGE and the end of the SandBox,  cause anyone that doesnt know it, SWG isnt a Sandbox game anymore.   With PVE loot being better than crafted it has essentially destroyed the economy, not to mention no decay.    Since 2007 SWG has been making about 18 million per year on subs.     Making the grand total earnings  for the Iconic NGE;  54 milllion.     

If they continued with the Pre-Cu and retained the 300k subs, the game would have made them 378 million dollars by today.   Now this has got to be the most costly mistake made by any gaming company.    You think Lucas arts is smiling at pissing away 141,000,000 dollars?   

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

I agree that if they pushed out a polished game they would have retained that first wave of people, it did retain a good population even though alot of the game was unfinished, no vehicles no ships and from what I heard Jedi wasnt even coded in till a month or two after launch.   

I was just argueing about Sandboxes and that they can make money.    Look at SWG, 2003 it had 300k subs, and about 300k till the CU.    They made about 207 million on subs up till the NGE, not including the box sales, which SOE braggs at over one million boxes sold.  Figuring about 30 million on box sales, a Uncle Owen Sandbox made SOE and LA;  $ 237,000,000 in just 4 years.     

Now look at after the NGE and the end of the SandBox,  cause anyone that doesnt know it, SWG isnt a Sandbox game anymore.   With PVE loot being better than crafted it has essentially destroyed the economy, not to mention no decay.    Since 2007 SWG has been making about 18 million per year on subs.     Making the grand total earnings  for the Iconic NGE;  54 milllion.     

If they continued with the Pre-Cu and retained the 300k subs, the game would have made them 378 million dollars by today.   Now this has got to be the most costly mistake made by any gaming company.    You think Lucas arts is smiling at pissing away 141,000,000 dollars?   

Which is exactly why we'll never get classic servers.

If SOE launches classic servers and they are successful, it's evidence that SOE just lost LA a TON of cash.

Can you say lawsuit?

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

If SOE launches classic servers and they are successful, it's evidence that SOE just lost LA a TON of cash.

Can you say lawsuit?

ROFL, your insane if you think LA had nothing to do with every decision in SWG.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by warmaster670

You think Lucas arts is smiling at pissing away 141,000,000 dollars?   

Can you say lawsuit?

ROFL, your insane if you think LA had nothing to do with every decision in SWG.

I'm not saying LA didn't have anything to do with the NGE. In fact, I've been saying for years it was them who pushed SOE into doing it.  Furthermore, I'd put out there that they knew the NGE would destroy SWG, thus nullifying whatever contract they had with SOE. Unfortunately for LA, SWG was made part of the station pass, so whatever contractual out plan LA has as far as a minimum sub number, it all becomes very foggy (and costly) from a legal standpoint.

This is just conjecture of course.

Oh, and ROFL.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

the game was horrible the moment it launched they only found a way to make it even worse rofl.

This discussion has been closed.