Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should this game be removed from mmorpg.com?

karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

From the recent information released SW:TOR is no way close to being a mmo, its more of a single player rpg with an 'online' option.

EDIT: Please read before posting.

I am not in ANY way saying SWTOR is bad, rubbish, not worth playing or anything simmilar. I'm probably gonna pick up a copy. But that does not change that it is not an mmo. Again, which this thread is about. 

Comments

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Link to this 'information' please.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

It is sounding more like a co-op single player game, if this game is on MMORPG so should Diablo, Titan quest.

If you took DragonAge and added a co-op mode would you call that an MMO? cus thats what this is game is sounding more and more like... only with a monthly sub fee?

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

All info is here on mmorpg under the SW:TOR section. Dont be lazy =)

Originally posted by karmath

You're referring to the thread that claims to come from PC Gamer Magazine?

How about you actually read the article before making threads showing you have absolutely no clue.

www.pcgamer.com/pdfs/Jan10_StarWars.pdf

Nowhere does it say anything remotely close to the game being single player.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Gonna call bullshit on that one. Anyone played the game? No? Premise fails.

Read the articles here. It's quite clearly stated numerous times. Please be informed before voting/posting. It only serves to make a invalid poll and make yourself look foolish.

• RydekRydek Member Posts: 35

The fact of the matter is it has a heavy focus on story which you can do alone or with a group it still has the same size population on a server as most mmo's there will be raids, there will be guilds. Which if your saying an rpg with multiplayer thats fable 2 and well thats not an mmo now is it, and you could say borderlands but thats more of a fps with and rpg sytem put in, so its not really an rpg,

Rpg's are role playing games simple as, MMORPGS, are massivley multiplayer role playings games. Which thats what SWTOR is, people ie (You) need to stop being damn trolls and wait until more information is given to the public.

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

How about you actually read the article before making threads showing you have absolutely no clue.

Well it does. Having a npc 'companion' party playing through story driven content is single player. Similar in style to Dragon Age in some respects and Guild Wars in others, their great games but both are not mmo's. 

While this game has online and multiplayer content, that does not make it an mmo, which this thread is about.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

OP, really, this is becoming ridiculous.

Crawl back to your cave and let Bioware do their job.

Nor you, or any other person or company has the slight chance to even remotely tell Bioware how to do an RPG. SO please, shut up with your weak understandings of how this game will be, and let those who know what they are doing do their work.

Your good at pressing buttons and thats enough. They are great, excellent, the best, at doing RPG's and games in general.

From the PDF I quote the following.

The Old Republic

feels like an attempt to build a

bridge between the gameplay of

BioWare’s traditional single-

player RPGs and the new world

of MMORPGs, with the ultimate

goal of settling into a spot that enjoys

the strengths of both types

A bridge between single player RPG and MMO is .. tada!!!!! co-op.

I dont wish to pass judgment just yet but from the info that we have it's looking like a co-op game and not an MMO.

Originally posted by tryklon

Nor you, or any other person or company has the slight chance to even remotely tell Bioware how to do an RPG. SO please, shut up with your weak understandings of how this game will be, and let those who know what they are doing do their work.
    Your good at pressing buttons and thats enough. They are great, excellent, the best, at doing RPG's and games in general.

I am not trying to tell bioware what to do. This game is not a mmo, hence it shouldnt be here. Do you want every game listed here? There is a ton of other sites that do this and its nice to have a dedicated site like mmorpg that is about mmo's, not every 'online' game.

BTW your fanboyism is lol.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

This thread fails.

And since the voting is not going in the OP's favor, I predict a declaration that the voting is rigged/invalid in 3...2...1...

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

I am not trying to tell bioware what to do. This game is not a mmo, hence it shouldnt be here. Do you want every game listed here? There is a ton of other sites that do this and its nice to have a dedicated site like mmorpg that is about mmo's, not every 'online' game.

BTW your fanboyism is lol.

If by fanboy you mean a big fan of all of Bioware work you are right. I am a fan of quality RPG's and been playing all their games for years now. 

Once again like many people already said, you have absolutely no idea what you are speaking. 

So, once again I ask. Since you are a simple gamer whos been reading articles in no way confirmed about a game that is still far from release.

Reduce yourself to your insignificance. Admit that your are only making projections of something you have absolutely no confirmation of it's real mechanics. And move along. 

At least until you actually know what you are speaking about

Originally posted by Cerion

This thread fails.

And since the voting is not going in the OP's favor, I predict a declaration that the voting is rigged/invalid in 3...2...1...

I am not in ANY way saying SWTOR is bad, rubbish, not worth playing or anything simmilar. I'm probably gonna pick up a copy. But that does not change that it is not an mmo. Again, which this thread is about. Please read before posting.

I saw a video posted on the official TOR forums yesterday and I'm looking for it now because it essentially debunks the OP entirely.

To paraphrase, the Dev said that 'with the exception of big story moments, which will be instanced 100%, it will be like KoTOR with thousands of players running around'.

Sounds like an MMO to me.

I'll link it when I find it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Honestly this is too funny, I have never used that line toward what seemed to be a honest opinion, ever. Congrats on that!

Since it is an honest opinion I'll at least counter it with the best logic I can. Until the game is seen as it is meant to be by the public, there's no saying what type of game it really is.

Everything else is pure hyperbole and speculation, no one knows exactly what Bioware's description really means outside of Bioware. Until it comes to light what this game is in an undisputed way, I will have to say no.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by coffee

The Old Republic

I dont wish to pass judgment just yet but from the info that we have it's looking like a co-op game and not an MMO.

Shadowbane was a co-op MMO. Just you and your five hundred closest friends against the world. Games can be both. Matter of fact EQ and WoW are co-op MMOs. Is raiding not co-op play? Isn't fie guys and gals in a group knocking kobolds over the hesad co-op play?

Ah yes but in WoW and EQ theres an open world were you can run in other players which questing, farming, exploring etc, now I could be wrong here but doesn't SWTOR take the GW approch with heavy use of instancing, no chance to run into other players when you out of a town?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Well it does. Having a npc 'companion' party playing through story driven content is single player. Similar in style to Dragon Age in some respects and Guild Wars in others, their great games but both are not mmo's. 

While this game has online and multiplayer content, that does not make it an mmo, which this thread is about.

That does having a pet (also a npc 'companion') also turn a MMO into a single player experience according to your logic.

If you go to an area you can encounter other players who are doing their own thing. That makes it an MMO. This is not possible in your stupid example Dragon Age.

Having a npc companion and story in a game, doesnt say shit about it being a MMO or not ><

Wow, the stupidity that some ppl show on this forum sometimes amazes me.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Reduce yourself to your insignificance. Admit that your are only making projections of something you have absolutely no confirmation of it's real mechanics. And move along. 

omfg, english comprehension please.  This babble in an attempt to sound intelligent is mind numbing.  May as well say "Polish your mental spatula and relish the sunshine of a mango in july." for all the sense that self righteous grade 2 ramble made. 

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

The Old Republic

Shadowbane was a co-op MMO. Just you and your five hundred closest friends against the world. Games can be both. Matter of fact EQ and WoW are co-op MMOs. Is raiding not co-op play? Isn't fie guys and gals in a group knocking kobolds over the hesad co-op play?

Ah yes but in WoW and EQ theres an open world were you can run in other players which questing, farming, exploring etc, now I could be wrong here but doesn't SWTOR take the GW approch with heavy use of instancing, no chance to run into other players when you out of a town?

You mean, you dont know? Now I wonder if you actually voted and used your assumption to decide what to chose.

the thing is we have been told by the developers its an mmo, but they are implementing once again a story driven experience, yes there maybe alot of instanced areas for groups to play but at the same time, there will be open areas to grind and do quests like every single other mmo out there, but the thing is we dont know if it will be or in fact it will be ingame.

We are all basing everything on what we have read, that article doesnt say squat about open areas ect, just saying its bridging the gap between single player rpgs and mmo's and from what i have read and watched it would appear to be an mmo, your just trolling right now, and to be honest you dont have much evidence backing you up, at least from what i and a hell of alot of people have read and seen supports that its an mmo,

• SlineerSlineer Member Posts: 246

Honestly, who cares?  Regardless if you don't believe its an MMO, take it up with Bioware as they are the ones claiming it as an MMO, not MMORPG.com.  As for the other people that keep saying Bioware makes awesome RPG's... where is that even relevant in this thread? Stop getting butt hurt about things not even posted here.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

They have said there will be wide open areas you will run into other player adventuring in, and there are areas that are instanced to cater the environment toward your own personal story. Again as I said in my previous post until we see what this means we will not know what it means.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Originally posted by Cerion

This thread fails.

I am not in ANY way saying SWTOR is bad, rubbish, not worth playing or anything simmilar. I'm probably gonna pick up a copy. But that does not change that it is not an mmo. Again, which this thread is about. Please read before posting.

Did I say you were dissing the game? No. Perhaps you meant to quote someone else's thread?  I wrote 24 words, all of which pertain to this thread and its utter irrelevance since the voting is clearly against your opinion.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

Originally posted by someforumguy

You mean, you dont know? Now I wonder if you actually voted and used your assumption to decide what to chose.

I was going on what I currenly knew about the game based on the videos and articals I have seen/read that have ALL focused on the RPG story stuff.  Believe me I am not the only one who obviously got the wrong ideo of SWTOR, Bioware need to communicate the MMO features of the game cus all they seem to want to talk about is their "dont a million times before" companion based story elements.

But for now I shall fade into the shadows so you can all put ya light sticks aways.

Originally posted by Malickie

They have said there will be wide open areas you will run into other player adventuring in, and there are areas that are instanced to cater the environment toward your own personal story. Again as I said in my previous post until we see what this means we will not know what it means.

Exactly thank you, you all need to go on google ok its a search engine and find out abit more information on this game that the (DEVELOPERS) have told us, it doesnt matter what an article says at the end of the day they get a snippet of what the game is, 10-30 minutes of play at best and even then they watch and not play it, give it another month and more info will come out.

This discussion has been closed.