Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else play Empire Total War (just bought it off Steam)

OrthaosOrthaos Member Posts: 51

Bought Empire Total War a little bit ago, will be installing it sometime next week (I'm pretty busy, otherwise I would install it tomorrow)...anyone else playing Empire Total War?

What faction are you playing as if so?

Comments

• OrthaosOrthaos Member Posts: 51

So I installed it, played two hours. I modded the game (I mod every game that is moddable)...and got Imperial Splendour, the blood/smoke mod...and a small mod that unlocks all factions. 

Started playing as the cherokee native americans...and its damn hard lol. I did manage to conquer one british town, which I got an Heroic Victory from it :D killed about 700 enemies...and only lost 36. That was awesome :D

Though, I tried attacking the spain city, based in Florida...and got demolished. Native americans (with Imperial Splendour mod, which changes how native americans play)...do way better in open areas, where they can charge the enemy (since IS mod improves their charge and adds elements to lower morality of the enemy)...the spain city is surrounded by a wall though, and my units don't stand much of a chance conquering it. Though, with enough units I'm sure I could...becaue again, with IS mod...native americans do a lot better with numbers...and they are cheap to train and a very low upkeep. IS mod makes unit sizes for native americans smaller too, I get usually 40 troops to a unit and the europeans get 200. But I like the challenge :) And I love native americans ...so I'll play till I win or lose :)

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I've been considering it, but I've been playing a Lord of the Rings mod for Medieval II: Total War. Quite a good mod, too! Almost like a standalone game; the only thing missing are custom battle map city skins (Minas Tirith, for example, does not look like Minas Tirith on the battle map). Still, modding that code is very difficult, and they've excelled in all other areas of the mod.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I just bought it off of steam as well, and I'm loving it so far. I like all the new additions, graphics, and setting. So far I'm just trying it out vanilla on the grand campaign with the Maratha Confederacy. Although I'll have to try out some of the mods soon. I usually like to go vanilla initially and then apply mods later.

Hm I was just thinking, Warhammer fantasy game done total war style would be amazing I think.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

I just bought it off of steam as well, and I'm loving it so far. I like all the new additions, graphics, and setting. So far I'm just trying it out vanilla on the grand campaign with the Maratha Confederacy. Although I'll have to try out some of the mods soon. I usually like to go vanilla initially and then apply mods later.

Hm I was just thinking, Warhammer fantasy game done total war style would be amazing I think.

I recall a series of Warhammer RTS games (I think one was called March of Chaos...?) that utilized the Total War engine, but the performance was below average for me and the story itself wasn't too engaging. Still, it was a unique twist.

Speaking of Medieval II mods, I stumbled across this. It's a pretty good attempt, and I think I'll try it once I'm done with Third Age: Total War.

• KamayorKamayor Member Posts: 52

i want to play it but my computer sucks

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Comnitus

Originally posted by VirgoThree

I recall a series of Warhammer RTS games (I think one was called March of Chaos...?) that utilized the Total War engine, but the performance was below average for me and the story itself wasn't too engaging. Still, it was a unique twist.

Speaking of Medieval II mods, I stumbled across this. It's a pretty good attempt, and I think I'll try it once I'm done with Third Age: Total War.

Yeah I played that game, and it was average at best. It felt more like a cheap knock off of battle for middle earth in a way. The battles were no where near the scale of TW games imo.

I was more thinking along the lines of a Warhammer Fantasy: Total War with a campaign map of the warhammer world, and all of the factions would start in their homelands. Basically have the game play out just like a TW game from campaign to battle, but tweak the governing and management for each race to be a little unique from each other. Although magic would be a very interesting twist to standard TW gameplay mechanics.

edit: ah i didn't see your link initially, and damn that is pretty much what I'm talking about.

• PyrosanPyrosan Member Posts: 4

That happens a lot. The Total War games have always bridged the world of hardcore wargames and the PC mass-market. It was appropriate that Rome: Total War was used as part of the BBC's Time Commanders TV series - Total War is simultaneously dignified history and entry-level pop. As such, Empire has me excited about a period of military history I wouldn't normally give a damn about, reaching for the meagre reference points I have to process it: from Sharpe to War and Peace, whether it's in the right period or not (and it's usually not). Empire not only captures the glamour of shiny buttons and musket-shot - it convinces me that there is glamour in shiny buttons and musket-shot. It's quite the game.

It's also quite a lot of game, full of so many individual bits and pieces that a little top-level over-view will probably profit us. Empire is the fourth period (and fifth game) to be explored by Creative Assembly in a Total War format, after Japanese Shogunate wars, Medieval (twice) and Rome. The idea is a sort of streamlined credibility; while it tweaks a lot of the historical details for the purposes of a real-time strategy game, it's also a lot more like a wargame than almost anything in the mainstream.

So battles are fought between armies of up to twenty units, each one consisting of over a hundred men. You don't build on the field of battle, you just have an army which has to fight it out. As such, considerations like terrain and positioning come significantly into play. Morale also comes into it, with a strike which makes the opposition lose its nerve (a flank charge, for example) being enough to cause troops to turn tail and run.

• RefreshedRefreshed Member Posts: 9

I also did the same, and I am pleased that I did.

Granted the Grand Campaign can be completed in a few hours of Gameplay, with so many factions one will have a while to go before completing it from every single faction's view. (Just conquered the entire map with the British, yet the Game has decided to continue...?)

Multiplayer never gets old, and Sea Battles and slow, but surprisingly Epic.

Perhaps I'll see you online at some stage.