Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isn't about time a MMORPG dealing with mechs (robots) should be made?

2»

Comments

• codecode Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by Xaldor
    I think Citizen Zero for Xboox is a mech inspired game...the screenshot on gamespot shows mechs in the wilderness...that's pretty ironic...Xaldorimage

i also heard there wont be any pvp in citizen zero am i right please correct me if im wrong

but ive been looking at the the screenshots for this game for a while now and i think the game looks very good also the E3 trailer was impresive

• XaldorXaldor Member Posts: 236
    Actually there will not be PvP as we know it...I read an article in gamespot (do a citizen zero search) that said that the PVP would be "assigned" to you by NPC's...meaning that you would walk up to an NPC, and they would give you a "quest" to go kill another player for one reason or another...they're trying to keep PvP in the context of the story I think

• Blitz_StormBlitz_Storm Member UncommonPosts: 47

EA was working on a BattleTech MMO but the canceled it.

Really, I'm dead serious. Here's a link to prove it.

EA's BattleTech 3025 Canceled

Oh, and I used to play Tradewars back in the day. That was a cool game for its time.
    Anyone here ever play the old BBS door game Operation Overkill ][?

Remember EnB!

• dystopiadystopia Member Posts: 5

That might be one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time.

Of course I said the same thing about EVE and its take on the space trader genre... then I found out the devs didn't think being able to leave your ship was worth considering.  Spending all your time in 50,000 tons of metal isn't fun or good for your complexion.

Other good ideas:

Cyberpunk a la Shadowrun/William Gibson/Snow Crash

Post-apocalyptic a la Wasteland

• TombsTombs Member Posts: 185

The next expansion for City of Heroes is called City of Villains and they are implementing pvp.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Well a mechwarrior/battletech mmog wouldnt NEED to be an FPS. You could still make the combat 'turn based' like it is in current mmrpgs. Twitch combat is great when there is no lag. But throw in even 250ms lag and things get ugly.

They could also do it like in Heavygear where you could exit your mech and run on foot. This would allow for better player interaction and prevent the 'my mech is my avatar' thing.

The problem with many mmrpgs is they start off from scratch, with a brand new world and story that people arent familiar with. The mech/battletech universes are already established, and are extremely detailed and diverse. So they could easily make a mmrpg that would be familiar to many people right off the bat (like maybe in the same time period like in mech warrior 2 during the clan invasion). The tons of mechs and weapons that have already been designed would be a no brainer to import, saving the devs tons of time developing everything from scratch.

--------------------------------------
    Played: AC1, DAoC, E&B, SWG
    Tested: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, Planetside, Rubies, Lineage 2

• XaldorXaldor Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Tombs

The next expansion for City of Heroes is called City of Villains and they are implementing pvp.

What the F*#@ does that have to do with a Mech MMORPG???? Xaldorimage

• TombsTombs Member Posts: 185

Hey Xaldor are you stupid or something?  <---think Jenny on the bus in the Forrest Gump movie.

Since I am relatively new I will take the time to help you, but this is the very last time.  If you want to be an idiot from now on you will have to go it alone.

1)  Before you make moronic posts read the entire thread.

2)  Earlier I stated that in CoH you can do a science/ or tech/blaster build and design a Mech to fight with.  As a matter of fact a new update will have something called Class 3 Titans which are basically mechs as one of the E in the PVE (do i need to explain what that means also?)

3) Someone responded to that post about CoH by saying they weren't interested in the game because it lacked PvP.  My post was in response to that.

4)  You can see the screen better if you take your head out of your arse.

• DeesylDeesyl Member Posts: 1
    And your wish is granted! Star Trek Online beta's in 2006. Anyone NOT planning on moving to that universe? A Battlemech game ala Robotech would be nice, but probably not sustainable in a MMORPG format. Would get old too quick, IMHO...image
  • BendenBenden Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by Blitz_Storm

Oh, and I used to play Tradewars back in the day. That was a cool game for its time.
    Remember EnB!

Ack ! bad souvenirs. I was playing the beta at this time. EA pissed the battletech community off this time image. For no apparent reason, game was coming along pretty well. I think it was marketing decision (to think they focused their ressources on the sims on line instead makes me sick lol).

http://archive.gamespy.com/previews/august01/battletech/

I just wonder why noone want to produce a mmofps game like planetside in battletech universe too. As many of you already said battletech universe is extremly detailed and even complex.

I think i'll try out that upcoming game Auto Assault, maybe a good substitue until, who knows....

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Blitz_Storm

Remember EnB!

Multiplayer Battletech: 3025, everyone who played it loved it, then they canned it. It was the gretest online game I have ever played. very simple concept and design, but kept you coming back for more. I get sad when I think about how the game is gone.
  • MalianeaMalianea Member Posts: 314

Dark Horizons Lore

You guys really should pay attention to that list ::::02::

Malianea

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

What if someone took Anarchy online world, stripped it down, gave it a new gfx engine, and everyone played as an engineers pet. I'd think that would be pretty cool. ::::01::

I agree there are too many elves, dwarfs, swords and sorcery in recent mmorpg to cater for the LOTR crowd. We want robots, with machine guns and lots of blood!

• zhombiezhombie Member UncommonPosts: 160

Granted its still in development, but EA (thankfully) lost the license to the mechwarrior online. The game's been picked up again, this time I think by the company that did MW2 and MW2:Mercs. . still in alpha, but I would kill for a decent MW game again. . .

www.is3025.com

___________~____________
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Trade Wars was fun with a FEW players like it was the case back on the BBS.  PvP need some rules and setting to be interesting on a bigger scale.

Nobody enjoy been overun by strangers endlessly, pointlessly...unless they are driving a good old Marauder, as long as the strangers wave are spread enought for the engine to cool down between the blast!

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• DarqueLordDarqueLord Member Posts: 195

For those who are looking for a mech warrior game try this:

http://www.is3025.com/

will be a while, but might be worth your time to check it out

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Auto Assault, does not deal with mechs, but closet I have seen and that is an mmorpg.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• BendenBenden Member Posts: 103
    Yes, no robot in Auto Assault, but this game looks like car wars, another board game created by fasa. Should be a nice change in mmorpg/mmofps genre. 
  • BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117
    I'm more for the armored core MMO rather than the mech assult because in the armored core series there's more customization. But I dont think the mech combat wouldnt be as good as the consol versions unless they made it for xbox. OOOO wich reminds me there's a multiplayer mech game called steel batallion for xbox. Thats about the closest thing but it cost $300 because you buy the game and the huge controller wich is a mech consol and you cant play it offline so you need xbox live.
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Mech Assault on xbox is xbox live.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• TackleburyTacklebury Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

If you look at all the MMORPG's in the list of developed games, what do they all have in common? Races and living creatures. What im trying to say is that someone at some company out their needs to think a Mech mmorpg that has the potential (like the Armored Core series, Mechassult, and the Ace Combat series (not mechs but planes are machines)) to become a hit like many other MMORPG's that are out to this day.
    If it was like a MMORPG of Armored Core . . . . .man . . .that would be so friggin leet . . . .
    Does anyone have my back on this one?

I'd love that 8)  I played MechWarrior quite a bit, but couldn't afford to keep my PC caught up to their requirements very well.  I also love RobotWars, which is based off making your own radio controlled robot and fighting in arenas.  I'd love to see one that took the building system from robot wars and the ability to climb inside and fight with it like mech warrior. ;)  peace.

Tacklebury --}>>>

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Originally posted by Greatness
    Mech Assault on xbox is xbox live.

No i said STEEl BATALLION not mechassult and mechassult for xbox isn't an MMO.