Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will the console versions affect the GUI?

CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

Will the PC-version have different gui than the console versions?

If not, will it be constrained by the fact that it has to work with a hand held controller?

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

Comments

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339

good question. i've always wondered the same thing when it comes to mmos on consoles.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by Caldicot

Will the PC-version have different gui than the console versions?
    If not, will it be constrained by the fact that it has to work with a hand held controller?

In FF XI the gui looked the same.  I've never played the PC version I was on PS2 I'm just going by what I saw in videos.  It was stated that the ps3 version will have mouse support so I would assume there will be no differences in the default GUI.

• JenadaraJenadara Member Posts: 95

Yes, good question.  I've been wondering the same thing.  I played FFXI both as console and PC, and I had to use a controller for the PC because it didn't feel natural with the keyboard. 

I hope this next game helps that a bit, and makes the controls easier for kb & mouse PC gamers...

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

im almost positive they said the GUI will be more custom fit for the PC this time, not 100% sure what they will do for the consoles but i know they said they made it much better this time around for PC.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

FFXI 's GUI is exactly the same over all systems. They made it this way for a reason so one medium isn't favored over another (the reason there was never any kind of graphics upgrade for PC when they are clearly capable) and all users can have the same experience. If they continue with this frame of though I'd be happy since it puts all people on an even plane.

And if it is anything like its predicessor you will be able to use a keyboard or controller on either medium. I personally used a keyboard on my 360. A simple USB keyboard can be purchased off ebay for a less than $30. I have a rocketfish

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by ic0n67

FFXI 's GUI is exactly the same over all systems. They made it this way for a reason so one medium isn't favored over another (the reason there was never any kind of graphics upgrade for PC when they are clearly capable) and all users can have the same experience. If they continue with this frame of though I'd be happy since it puts all people on an even plane.
    And if it is anything like its predicessor you will be able to use a keyboard or controller on either medium. I personally used a keyboard on my 360. A simple USB keyboard can be purchased off ebay for a less than $30. I have a rocketfish

What are the the implications of this when it comes to interaction among players?

I wouldn't wanna team up with a "controller-controlled" character and find out he/she can only communicate effectively  via emotes and also has clunky or slow movements and actions.

I have never tried FFXI so perhaps this is a non issue, but as far as I know it could be a potential game breaker.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

He just told you that he uses a USB keyboard.  It's the only way to do it.  I'm hoping for XIV they have a universal voice communication system across platform... voice is nessessary in these day.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Albytaps

He just told you that he uses a USB keyboard.  It's the only way to do it.  I'm hoping for XIV they have a universal voice communication system across platform... voice is nessessary in these day.

If I'm not mistaken SE has already said they won't be adding or supporting any type of built-in voice system to FFXIV!  There are plenty of external options already like Ventrilo and that other crappy one...hehe  I prefer text only in slow paced games like FFXI and from the few videos of FFXIV; it shall be the same!

The few MMOs that do have voice built-in, really does it ever get used cause they all suck anyway!

Yes he did tell us, but it doesn't follow that everyone will use a keyboard just because one or even 1000 persons are doing so.

If you look a few posts above, Jenadara states that: "I played FFXI both as console and PC, and I had to use a controller for the PC because it didn't feel natural with the keyboard."

So I don't understand how you can say using a keyboard "is the only way to do it".

What I'm trying to get my head around is whether these differences in controller types will have any major effects on the game play experience.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

So I don't understand how you can say using a keyboard "is the only way to do it".

The only way to type letters and words into the game; besides the auto-translator but you couldn't make competent sentences very well.  It got the job done but on a normal level of holding a conversation a keyboard is the only way on PC or Console!

What are the the implications of this when it comes to interaction among players?
    I wouldn't wanna team up with a "controller-controlled" character and find out he/she can only communicate effectively  via emotes and also has clunky or slow movements and actions.
    I have never tried FFXI so perhaps this is a non issue, but as far as I know it could be a potential game breaker.

Typically the implications were if you were talking to a console person there would be a half second delay while they put down their controller and pick up their keyboard. There is an auto-run feature in FFXI where your character will just move forward after hitting a button (7 key on standard R key on compact L3 on a controller(?)) . This allows you to type and walk at the same time. Also the keyboard works at the same time as the controller so if you have to put down the controller to type and are walking forward when you see a mob to avoid you can quickly use the keyboard to stop you from moving for a sec. I mean it isn't noticable. I played with someone for years without knowing she was on a PS2.

Personally I was weened on the keyboard and am faster using that, she was better with a controller. You wouldn't have been able to distinguish which was which if you didn't know. Early on if you are transitioning from a PC MMO like WoW to FFXI or the like you will have some trouble getting the controls down since it is a foreign concept. Apparently a lot of people like the controller enough to use it on PC too.

There is an onscreen keyboard with the PS3 (as well as the 360) that you CAN use to talk with or set up macros ... but that this is freakishly slow and it wouldn't be good for complex sentence. If you are going to play on a PS3 I'd recommend getting a keyboard (or snagging it off your computer for a while) or the PS3 chat pad (which reminds me to buy one of them ...) 

And don't knock  the emotes ... I knew a guy who only talked in emotes. If you sent him a /tell he wouldn't respond ... if you were next to him and asked him a question he'd respond with an emote like: /em passes you a note: "You suck quit the game now" He was know to actually talk like 2 or 3 times when there was real crisis going on and emotes were not good enough.

That was very enlightening ic0n, thanks.

Perhaps there will be a slight overpopulation of ppl roleplaying mutes but I can live with that :)

• JenadaraJenadara Member Posts: 95

Early on if you are transitioning from a PC MMO like WoW to FFXI or the like you will have some trouble getting the controls down since it is a foreign concept. Apparently a lot of people like the controller enough to use it on PC too.

There is a problem when you don't like the controller AND the keyboard actions don't feel intuitive.  I never played WoW, but I know it's similar to a lot of other games I've played, including ones that are not MMOs as far as movement, execution of actions, etc. 

I just hope FFXIV is a bit similar to PC game controls with mouse & keyboard than FFXI is.

Sorry to continue hijacking this thread a bit towards controls... tho GUI can be part of it if you are a mouse clicker! :P

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Anyone who buys XIV for PS3 will soon realize that keyboard is necessary and will go and buy it. It won't be an issue.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by Jenadara

Early on if you are transitioning from a PC MMO like WoW to FFXI or the like you will have some trouble getting the controls down since it is a foreign concept. Apparently a lot of people like the controller enough to use it on PC too.

There is a problem when you don't like the controller AND the keyboard actions don't feel intuitive.  I never played WoW, but I know it's similar to a lot of other games I've played, including ones that are not MMOs as far as movement, execution of actions, etc. 

I just hope FFXIV is a bit similar to PC game controls with mouse & keyboard than FFXI is.

Sorry to continue hijacking this thread a bit towards controls... tho GUI can be part of it if you are a mouse clicker! :P

With any control scheme it can be easily picked up. Personally I loved the controls for FFXI and I didn't have a problem with them because the basics are the same controls for FF7 and FF8 for PC which I both played before I had a PS1. Like anything it is just a little getting used to.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Yes he did tell us, but it doesn't follow that everyone will use a keyboard just because one or even 1000 persons are doing so.

If you look a few posts above, Jenadara states that: "I played FFXI both as console and PC, and I had to use a controller for the PC because it didn't feel natural with the keyboard."

What I'm trying to get my head around is whether these differences in controller types will have any major effects on the game play experience.

To be honest I don't know one person that played the console version that didn't use a keyboard.... why someone is playing an MMO without a keyboard is kind of beyond me O.o I had never even played an MMO before FFXI and I knew it would of been a pain without a keyboard.

Having played both the playstation and PC version of FFXI, I'm definitely hoping the console versions interface will be adjustable in size, the UI used in FFXI on a console took up way to much of the screens picture so I just played on PC from then on. Hopefully it won't block up much of the screen in FFXIV, really looking forward to playing FFXIV on a HDTV :)

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

I'm at work, so I don't have the link with me... I'm sure you can search it out if you try...

But its been stated that there will be separate clients with separate graphics and requirements for the PC and the consoles.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

I'm at work, so I don't have the link with me... I'm sure you can search it out if you try...

But its been stated that there will be separate clients with separate graphics and requirements for the PC and the consoles.

I've played mutli-platform games before and I've always found the PC version to be dumbed down to meet the requirements of the console version.  So I sure hope the above statement is true, that there will be separate clietns and requirements for the different platforms.

• RoehonRoehon Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by boojiboy

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

I've played mutli-platform games before and I've always found the PC version to be dumbed down to meet the requirements of the console version.  So I sure hope the above statement is true, that there will be separate clietns and requirements for the different platforms.

as I remember one of the reasons that FFXI never got any graphic updates was because the population using PS2 wouldn't be able to handle it, so I'm hoping this is true

but if this is true will PS3 players and PC players be on the same servers?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I think we need to remember two things here;

1. The main thing about the last FF game was that the camera was ran with the numpad, you basically didn't use the mouse for most of the time, could even tab-scroll through everything.

2. I doubt the GUI will be the expected hotbar, wasn't last time, so expect menu browsing. It will be similar to FF console games, as usual. Personally, I enjoyed that part about XI.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Doesn't the 360 already have a built in voice chat function that can be used with friends?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• RoehonRoehon Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by skeaser

Doesn't the 360 already have a built in voice chat function that can be used with friends?

that would be Xbox Live Party chat, it's not part of the game. It's grate if your on XBL but no good if you are on a PC