Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta?

GenoknightGenoknight Member Posts: 156

Will their be any chance for people who don't preorder the game to play it before it comes out?

Comments

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

At this point its not looking that way sadly hirezstew was think of doing it but been busy so not looking that way now.   Now il can say im sure there will be a try be for buy deal shorty after hirez cares for gamers unlike most companys.

• GenoknightGenoknight Member Posts: 156

Warhammer and Age of Conan were bad, and they were over hyped far to much, but even they had an Open Beta for people who didn't preorder, I kinda feel like GA's only doing it to get more preorders.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Remember, open beta is not demo time.

The open betas are usually aways for stress tess and to see the numbers it can handle. GA sill only has let it roughly around 1000-1500 people for beta, with well over an abundance of applicants. they are by no means struggling trying to get people to play the game.

I've been in beta since CB-1A, seen enough stuff to keep me occuppied for a long time, and have YET to see anything to do with AvA.

• SevensoddSevensodd Member Posts: 322
    Originally posted by bossalinie

Remember, open beta is not demo time.
    The open betas are usually aways for stress tess and to see the numbers it can handle. GA sill only has let it roughly around 1000-1500 people for beta, with well over an abundance of applicants. they are by no means struggling trying to get people to play the game.
    I've been in beta since CB-1A, seen enough stuff to keep me occuppied for a long time, and have YET to see anything to do with AvA.

Exactly my point!  People need to STOP trying to make assumptions on a game STILL IN BETA.  Please for the love of "fuck" stop bad mouthing a game until you have tried it.  Once you have tried it, the please voice you're nerd-ass opinion,  Until then, please be quite.

• ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161

The reason it's unlikely you'll get to beta without pre-ordering is because there is a limited number of spots open for it... and they're getting more Pre-Orders than they thought.

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

You could always pre-order (make sure you pre-order a box, and not the digital download, because they don't take those back) and just cancel if you don't end up liking the game. Sometimes you can cancel without cost, sometimes it costs you $5.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• DjfusionDjfusion Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by 0over0

You could always pre-order (make sure you pre-order a box, and not the digital download, because they don't take those back) and just cancel if you don't end up liking the game. Sometimes you can cancel without cost, sometimes it costs you $5.

What he said.  Go to a store like Gamestop and pre order it, I do it all the time just to make sure the game will atleast run decently before I buy it. I think thats my biggest concern over buying pc games is if it runs ok on your machine. I think thats a legitimate reason for having some kind of trial period, because you never know how well your computer is going to run it.

On that note, Im prob gonna go pre order it from Gamestop today so I try it out  ;)

• RyverwyndRyverwynd Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Djfusion 

On that note, Im prob gonna go pre order it from Gamestop today so I try it out  ;)

Let us know how that goes. I just checked Gamestops web site and GA is not listed. Here is a link I did find on pre-order. I'll probably go ahead and pre-order on steam myself.

forum.globalagendagame.com/gablog/index.php/2009/12/15/global-agenda-to-launch-on-feb-1-2010/

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

The Gamestop I frequent has it in their system, but they don't have, nor do they know at all of any incoming, any pre-order boxes/slips for the game. So not sure where the "go to Gameslop" advice is coming from unless they've been shipping them everywhere but here. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161

As far as I know the only places you can pre-order are from the HR website it self, steam, or amazon.com... both of which require you to pay in full. I imagne HR didn't want people doing exactly what you're trying to do.

• LordHysteriaLordHysteria Member Posts: 13

If you know anyone in beta tell them to message an admin for beta keys. They gave me 15 for my guild.

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

not sure why everyone is saying Gamestop, as someone else has already pointed out, they don't even have it listed on their site (i checked 5mins before typing this).

also for people saying to pre-order and then cancel the pre-order to get access to the beta you need to read this:

• Players who pre-purchase Global Agenda today receive the following special benefits:
    • Gain access to Beta – Players that pre-order will gain access to Global Agenda beta events in January. Note that the beta servers are available for play only during specific play test windows, and that tests may be limited to only certain game features. To participate in the Global Agenda beta, you must register your Product Key online at the Global Agenda website following your pre-purchase. Registered beta participants will receive specific test instructions prior to each Closed Beta test event, as the events are announced.[/quote]

couple of pointers in this, the main one being, PRE-PURCHASE, yup you got to pay for it in FULL to gain access to the beta, which means as its a digital download.. NO REFUNDS!!   also when they do beta they only open certain aspects of the game, so you may not see the entire game anyway, just the bits they want testing before launch.

give it a month or 2 and you will find a demo or a 14day trial if they're struggling for funds.

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160
    [quote=Originally posted by Merlin1977]  Registered beta participants will receive specific test instructions prior to each Closed Beta test event, as the events are announced.[/quote]
     You have to pay THEM to TEST their game? If thats their way of thinking they can pay ME to PLAY it.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

If you have to pay to access a beta, how can you not consider your purchase based on the content you paid money to access? If you were actually testing the game for the sake of quality assurance, then it would be understandable to call it a beta and hide it under a NDA. But nowadays it's just a preview under the disguise of a beta (or an unfinished game under disguise of a money generating purpose) and a NDA to keep people from judging the game externally in that current state.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

As a note it is becoming more common in this industry to require pre-orders done online (digital or otherwise) to be for the full price and be non-refundable. So be sure you take the time to read any pre-order stuff if you do it through a website, retailer or otherwise.

I say this because no one is going to feel sorry for you later when you can't get a refund.

I pre-ordered GA through steam myself and if something happens it's not like I'm going to be hurting from it. It's entertainment, having it postponed doesn't bother me. The majority of reviews I've seen for this game have been positive and at this point it's not like it won't release. I don't even see it getting pushed back so it's not like I've risked my money.

As far as buying a bad game - abusing pre-order systems to avoid this is unethical because it costs both the retailer and the company money. As a consumer it is more than understandable because the market (not just mmo's) has been flooded with bad games lately. Everybody gets taken in by  hype and buys a bad game every now and then, but abusing pre-orders is still unethical. Just do what a good consumer should do and do your research. If I go to buy a new phone I do my research and that takes quite a bit more doing. For video games I can just google it and easily find a crap load of reviews and gameplay footage not put out by the company.

• epicorepicor Member Posts: 60

I know open beta sessions tend to be more for game preview than anything else, but we are going to be doing ava testing all through jan and the final patch will actually be released and downloaded ON release day.  It's not like buying a game at the store where they actually have to be done 2 or 3 weeks ahead of release.  We have a full month of actual testing (both game mechanics and stress), so if you are planning on prepurchasing just to try the gameplay, please don't.

I, for one, don't want you in the beta taking up a slot which would otherwise be filled with an actual tester.  They are already probably going to have to remove some beta testers to give slots to preorder buyins.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

youre not really paying to test the game per se. youre paying to play it 1 month in advance AND test it. youre not gonna be diving into a disaster of an unfinished game. GA is done, just a few more tweaks that dont really affect gameplay. nowhere to go but up from here.

if you want a demo, wait for a couple of months. but i wouldnt hold my breath.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

You know I'm sick of people complaining about these things, if you like what the game is about and the direction is going and by the sounds of what they've shown us you're going to buy it then just freaking buy it to get into the beta.  The upcoming Beta is to test the AvA systems, and for those of us who do like the way it is going and have bought it we plan to use this chance to plan out what direction we want our characters to go from launch.  I for one am just happy they are holding something anyone can get into before launch, at least this way the fans of this game who were not in closed beta won't be so far behind from all the testers on launch... I hate when an MMO launches and Beta testers have that huge head-start. 

Long story short they have given you the chance to enter Beta when really they didn't have to, for the people who were going to buy the game anyways this access to the Beta is a perk for buying what we would have anyways... I can understand people wanting to try the game, but at the same time I also stand by the fact if you like what sort of game an MMO is you should buy a copy.  Even if in the end you don't play the game monthly you've at least as a consumer shown that you want a game like this.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• kalebfrostkalebfrost Member UncommonPosts: 13

Beta starts tomorrow for preorders and I can't wait. I don't mind paying to play for Beta. I like having the advantage over people who whine about it. I expect server crashes restarts nerfing (balancing) to go on through these next weeks but to me having that little bit more knowledge when the gate opens is always satisfying to me : )

• GenoknightGenoknight Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by epicor

so if you are planning on prepurchasing just to try the gameplay, please don't.
    I, for one, don't want you in the beta taking up a slot which would otherwise be filled with an actual tester.  They are already probably going to have to remove some beta testers to give slots to preorder buyins.

lol?

You think people actually go out and spend 50 dollars just to help the company make sure it runs good? They do it to play the game.

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

As a note it is becoming more common in this industry to require pre-orders done online (digital or otherwise) to be for the full price and be non-refundable. So be sure you take the time to read any pre-order stuff if you do it through a website, retailer or otherwise.
    I say this because no one is going to feel sorry for you later when you can't get a refund.
    I pre-ordered GA through steam myself and if something happens it's not like I'm going to be hurting from it. It's entertainment, having it postponed doesn't bother me. The majority of reviews I've seen for this game have been positive and at this point it's not like it won't release. I don't even see it getting pushed back so it's not like I've risked my money.
    As far as buying a bad game - abusing pre-order systems to avoid this is unethical because it costs both the retailer and the company money. As a consumer it is more than understandable because the market (not just mmo's) has been flooded with bad games lately. Everybody gets taken in by  hype and buys a bad game every now and then, but abusing pre-orders is still unethical. Just do what a good consumer should do and do your research. If I go to buy a new phone I do my research and that takes quite a bit more doing. For video games I can just google it and easily find a crap load of reviews and gameplay footage not put out by the company.

charging people to "beta test" is unethical , though I do not blame companies for doing it
    yes, everything has been bad lately, at least for most people, so its been more then just a "taken in by hype and buys a bad game every now and then" type of situation
    you using a phone as an example isn't really working, unless your ordering a smartphone that is unlocked and not available from a carrier, then you can goto the store and test a fully functional phone to see if you like it, try before you buy... catch that?
    as far as reviews and videos for games these days: what reviewer is honest and not being payed, or better yet not a fanboy, same goes for customer reviews.. who is a hater and who is a fanboy?
    this is why people don't wanna pay $44 or w/e it is right now for a un-massive virtual lobby mmo shooting game that has a sub fee (which i think is where people are really turned off by it)

The sub fee is completely optional. All you lose is the ability to take over land. Kind of like Hellgate: London did it.

Still, I see where your 50 dollars to buy a game you don't know much about theory comes from.

However, most PC games come out at around 50 dollars anyways. If you like Tribes, or any jetpack based shooter, and want one, this is a good choice. Then later, if you want the more advanced features, you can buy into those.

I don't really see the negative there. You're buying a shooter for regular price, with the option to expand on it later. Sounds good to me. No?