Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: List: The Top Five PvP MMOs

Comments

• Tobias3Tobias3 Member Posts: 81

Good call on DAoC. 

Bad call on WoW and WAR.

No Darkfall, really? Really?

Asheron's Call, wasn't a PvP game, just had a PvP server, so good call on that.

Shadowbane was a miserable failure, despite having some interesting ideas. So good call on that.

But Darkfall?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Tobias3

Good call on DAoC. 

Bad call on WoW and WAR.

Shadowbane was a miserable failure, despite having some interesting ideas. So good call on that.

But Darkfall?

What does that mean that Asherons Call wasnt a PvP game just had a PvP server? WoW is not a PvP game either then, neither is DAoC since the PvP was restricted to certain areas on the PvE servers.

Asherons Call on the PvP server Darktide, was the best FFA PvP game ever made.

And Darkfall is a POS MMORPG. The game was released, buggy as hell, has an outdated GFX engine and terrible sound and also had a very small playerbase (and still has). Also the PvP combat was crap with little variation. So that game does not belong on any top list.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hey folks,

As others have said, this is purely a list of MY OWN favorite games that had PvP in them.  I'm betting plenty of the staff at MMORPG.com would have their own different top 5 too.  But yep, these are the best times I've had PvP-ing myself.  To those who wish their game was on the list (Shadowbane, Darkfall, Planetside, etc.), I've played a LOT of these games over the years but I only felt comfortable listing those games I spent enough time in.  I played Planetside a bit, but never Shadowbane, and not Darkfall (yet). 

Hope that helps ease some of the tension or confusion at my list, and you're still totally free to completely disagree with me.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Yamota

And Darkfall is a POS MMORPG. The game was released, buggy as hell, has an outdated GFX engine and terrible sound and also had a very small playerbase (and still has). Also the PvP combat was crap with little variation. So that game does not belong on any top list.

There you have it folks, the voice of reason has spoken. We can all go home now. And as an added plus, I now know that I like POS games, thanks for the heads up.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

Good call on DAoC. 

Bad call on WoW and WAR.

But Darkfall?

What does that mean that Asherons Call wasnt a PvP game just had a PvP server? WoW is not a PvP game either then, neither is DAoC since the PvP was restricted to certain areas on the PvE servers.

You just lost all credibility with that opinion.

Good call on DAoC. 

Bad call on WoW and WAR.

But Darkfall?

Your opinion I guess. 

Also, yes, DAoC is a PvP game, the entire game revolved around the fighting between realms, that's through and through a PvP game, it was the main focus. 

As for Darktide... that's one server. Every MMORPG has a FFA server, guess we should just could every MMORPG ever as the best FFA PvP? 

Asheron's Call was a PvE focused game, with a small niche of people playing on a PvP server. Same story as EQ, DAoC, and Vanguard. All the same stuff. 

Darkfall, however, like DAoC, the entire game revolves around the fighting between realms and clans, and has far far more advanced combat and PvP systems than most games on this list. Have your little hissy fit about a game you haven't played all you want, but know that you're off base. 

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Ruyn

You just lost all credibility with that opinion.

This occurred some time ago I'm afraid.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• DruzDruz Member Posts: 276

Good call on DAoC. 

Bad call on WoW and WAR.

But Darkfall?

haha follow your own logic there big boy  "so good call on that" 

If you only counted MMOs that said they were PvP MMOs you wouldn't even get a top 5 - Every MMO that were designed only for PvP are miserable failures. Asheron's Call DT had the perfect mix and yet even more dangerous and bloodthirsty than EVE with its "high-sec" protection.

How is DAoC somehow more of a PvP game when the real battles don't even start until max level? Somehow having FFA from level 1 doesn't qualify? You're delusional.

• trashburnintrashburnin Member Posts: 223

Neither Darkfall, AC-DT or Shadowbane are on this list. 

WoW is on this list, a game where pvp is a imbalanced sideshow attraction. 

FAILURE.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I can see why WAR would make the list for one reason. Its the only game I can think of that lets you progress through PVP and strictly PVP. It did a lot wrong in terms of repetative gameplay. However it did bring PVP to the forefront without hiding it under other features, IMO even EVE does this. Darkfall is one of the only games I can think of besides WAR that takes this form of approach to PVP. Why are devs ashamed to make PVP games?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Druz

Good call on DAoC. 

Bad call on WoW and WAR.

But Darkfall?

haha follow your own logic there big boy  "so good call on that" 

If you only counted MMOs that said they were PvP MMOs you wouldn't even get a top 5 - Every MMO that were designed only for PvP are miserable failures. Asheron's Call DT had the perfect mix and yet even more dangerous and bloodthirsty than EVE with its "high-sec" protection.

How is DAoC somehow more of a PvP game when the real battles don't even start until max level? Somehow having FFA from level 1 doesn't qualify? You're delusional.

DAoC had 3 PvP servers. So I guess that makes it 3x more awesome than Darktide, Nice try. 

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

Would have had WWII Online on my list of top PvP games.  In fact, it would be at THE top of my list.  PvP based entirely on the individual player's real life skills -- none of the bs gear/level/trait dependencies of most PvP games. 

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

Originally posted by Cerion

Would have had WWII Online on my list of top PvP games.  In fact, it would be at THE top of my list.  PvP based entirely on the individual player's real life skills -- none of the bs gear/level/trait dependencies of most PvP games. 

That's another one I've never had the pleasure of diving into.  I always see it mentioned, and then when I go to find something new it evades me.  I think I've got to write it somewhere and stick it to my monitor for the next time I want to go game-hopping.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Liked it or not, WoW has multiple ways to PvP and tons of people love it.

I agree with the list though I always found Eve pvp bland. 0.0 is 24/7 zergfest and higher sec duels are just watching two ships do merry go around while exchanging colorful rays of light.

Eve has great forum pvp too. One corp throws a taunt "Corp this and this EXPLOITS!!" and the alliance of the taunted party attacks the corp with direct damage while the taunter gets buffed by backpattings from their alliance. This drama-pvp usually ends in mod deleting half the forum in response which then ends to "EVE MOD XXX IS IN CORP XXX's PAYROLL!!!" post in the taunter corps forum.

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

I agree with some games, i cannot do it with other but i'm really astonished about 5th position: World of Farmercraft? This is not a true PvP or RvR game, it's only a PvE title with some PvP servers where people doesn't do free PvP. If you really like PvP there are a lot of games better than WoW (one of my preferred is a F2P game: RF Online: Three realms, a lot of free RvRvR zones - all mid/high lvls zones are RvRvR and a crap reason in order to do PvP /RvRvR:  central mine And, yes, a lot of fun).

And my number one is still DAoC (EVE is great, but too hard to play for a newbie).

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

I like when you said EVE is your least fun to play and you put it at number one and how you've had the most memorable PVP memories in WoW and put it at number five.........

Editorial quality will always suck here.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by uncletoma

I agree with some games, i cannot do it with other but i'm really astonished about 5th position: World of Farmercraft? This is not a true PvP or RvR game, it's only a PvE title with some PvP servers where people doesn't do free PvP. If you really like PvP there are a lot of games better than WoW (one of my preferred is a F2P game: RF Online: Three realms, a lot of free RvRvR zones - all mid/high lvls zones are RvRvR and a crap reason in order to do PvP /RvRvR:  central mine And, yes, a lot of fun).
    And my number one is still DAoC (EVE is great, but too hard to play for a newbie).

I've played every mmorpg out there and WoW is the only one to have fun combat. It is the most popular and lots of people have fun with PVP in the game and level up purely to do PVP and it's because it is the best. If these other games were so great then they'd be more popular but the fact is they aren't. Warhammer Online for example has a horrible combat system and it just doesn't flow and it ain't popular because of that. 

For me combat makes PVP and WoW by far has the best combat, just a shame the killed World PVP.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Would like to see 2 categories.

One for open world PVP where more time means more powerfull toon.

One for arena based PVP.

Meh, nvm. I only consider Guild Wars to be a true PVP game. The only MMORPG I know of that offers PVP on a levelled playing field. The others dont prove a challange, because you only have to get part of the larger group and get better gear. That completely washes out any opposing playerskill.

• adog2k1adog2k1 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Would like to see 2 categories.
    One for open world PVP where more time means more powerfull toon.
    One for arena based PVP.
    Meh, nvm. I only consider Guild Wars to be a true PVP game. The only MMORPG I know of that offers PVP on a levelled playing field. The others dont prove a challange, because you only have to get part of the larger group and get better gear. That completely washes out any opposing playerskill.

I agree with you about the appeal of level playing field PvP, although it's fun to be able to vary it a bit. Winning as the underdog (and losing as the favorite) are part of gaming also. I may be the only guy here to have played it, but the ship combat and Port Battle systems in Pirates of the Burning Sea consistently generate great PvP (well, and ganks and crap, too, but still) that is RvR-relevant. People I spoke to who played both said Pirates came in a close second to GW in PvP.

I get the appeal to others of full-world, or realm, or FFA or whatever other type of extended PvP, but it's not my cup of tea. I like to have good fights more than I like to win. I also think that over-penalizing PvP is regressive, and the penalty is grind (of some kind or another). As for the objection to "Arena PvP" - hey, gimme a break. It's ALL Arena PvP, we're just arguing over where the arena walls are.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

We all got it coming, kid

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

The fact that darkfall was not on this list has made me lose faith in MMORPG.com.  

I will most likely never come back to this site again.

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

pretty good list! I would put shadowbane or lineage 2 in over WOW though. If you want to give the wow style of PVP some love then at least go with EQ2, which allows people to go rogue and kill anyone they want no matter which faction.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

pretty good list! I would put shadowbane or lineage 2 in over WOW though. If you want to give the wow style of PVP some love then at least go with EQ2, which allows people to go rogue and kill anyone they want no matter which faction.

L2 was actually my number 6, as I did play it before WoW... maybe I should have opened the list to 10 so not as many people would be upset with me?  :) 

My Review Manifesto

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

Thanks for yet another entertaining "list".

Even though I don't entirely agree with some of the choices, I can hardly sit here with a straight face and, with any seriousness, tell you that your personal choices are entirely wrong and have no place in an opinion piece.

Anyway, the subject alone promised a quick and dirty derailment from the word go. No amount of indemnification on the OP's part would have changed that.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

For me combat makes PVP and WoW by far has the best combat, just a shame the killed World PVP.
    I've played every mmorpg out there and WoW is the only one to have fun combat. It is the most popular and lots of people have fun with PVP in the game and level up purely to do PVP and it's because it is the best. If these other games were so great then they'd be more popular but the fact is they aren't. Warhammer Online for example has a horrible combat system and it just doesn't flow and it ain't popular because of that.  

I actually really enjoyed WAR's RvR despite the clunkiness of its early days.  A lot of this list is fueled by personal preference and experience nostalgia, while still other parts are fueled by game mechanics and the communities that drive the PvP.  I hear Darkfall has a fantastic PvP community, but I've not had the chance to play it yet.  I hear the UO comparison a lot with Aventurine's game, so one day with time and money I'm going to have to check it out.

My Review Manifesto

• CoolWatersCoolWaters Member UncommonPosts: 104

I've seen some awful top XX lists on this website, but this one takes the cake.

Here's a better list:

1.  Shadowbane

2.  AC - DT

3.  EVE

4.  UO

5.  DAOC

3-5 could really be in any order, but the best 2 PvP games of all time weren't even included in this POS list.  It makes me wonder how old the writer is.