Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats so great about Starcraft?

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

I hear alot of hype on Starcraft, but whats so big about it?

I played WC3 and liked it alot!!!!!!!!

What makes SC better?

iam thinking about downloaded it from Blizzard, but still kinda debateing out it.

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

The actual RTS gameplay is nothing out of the ordinary. However, it is very well balanced between the three factions and the campaign maps offer good gameplay. I did enjoy the story a lot.

The graphics are dated though, if you can get past the graphics it is a great rts game to play (not my personal top rts game but certainly up there).

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

It was okay, but I never really understood the raving over it. Personally I've always preferred Warhammer 40K.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by tro44_1

What makes SC better?
    iam thinking about downloaded it from Blizzard, but still kinda debateing out it.

Well first of all it was a RTS game that had 3 very different and ballanced races in it which was lacking back then. Also the way the story was presented was better than most other games at the time. And the Multiplayer side was easy to get into and there was even an easy to use map editor in it allowing you to create and share some pretty fun maps.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Story, and i love the CG, especially the part where they spot a damage dragoon, after killing it the rest just warp infront of them, love it...

RIP Orc Choppa

• obscuredobscured Member UncommonPosts: 62

3 words describe Starcraft. Unique , Addicting, Epic.

You can't and wont undersand why Starcraft is so great unless you play it.

Trust me , it's not another overrated crappy game.

Starcraft set high standards for RTS games that even today few games have achieved to get close to.

Also, as a sidenote, i was a little kid when i first played it, i cried when Tassadar (one of the main heroes) died, lol. and i get that from many people even adults. So you get my point, the scenario and storyline are great.

I really think you should try it, and i'm almost sure you re going to end up lining dozens of battlecruisers and clicking the units again and again to hear the special  units sounds. ^_^

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Balance

The game is perfect when it comes to online play.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Balance
    The game is perfect when it comes to online play.

Not perfect, but very good considering how differently the factions play.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

Its balanced. Thats the only good thing about it, otherwise its HIGHLY overrated. Yes, I played it, and was bored after the first day. IMO is sucks, but obviously it doesn't with such a big fanbase.

Lots of greatness to this game. My only real gripe with it is that the AI opponents cheat like MFers.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by obscured

clicking the units again and again to hear the special  units sounds. ^_^

"You can not escape my wrath, like you can not escape your own shadow..."

Yap, click on your different unit again and again and you will hear different speech. Click on the critters again and again and they will explode...

RIP Orc Choppa

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

honestly it bored me senseless.  Heroes of Might and Magic series is about as good (and it's not that good) imo.  Personal opinion only of course.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, SC3 might be better than SC (it came after it of course) but back in the day, SC was (and still is) a great RTS game.

As others mentioned, it was very balanced, had a good single player campaign/story and was great against other players as well.

The three factions played quite a bit differently from each other using a variety of tactics and weapons to accomplish their goals.

I've played the single player campaign through at least 3 times in my life and still consider it one of the all time greats.

I think it would make a terrific environment for an MMORPG, and who knows, perhaps one day we'll see one based on it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by blackthornn

honestly it bored me senseless.  Heroes of Might and Magic series is about as good (and it's not that good) imo.  Personal opinion only of course.

HoMM2 was a great game. Lots of fun solo, but turn-based, so online play was VERY slow.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Living in korea now and they are addicted to the game.  It is basically a national sport.  It literally has a few TV channels dedicated to it alone.

I have been playing it since i came here i am not totally impressed/. But I am not a big rts person so.  I mainly due it cause all my friends are doing it outside of that i would not touch the game.  Not because its bad,  mostly i just do not like rts.

But blizzard normally makes games like that.  Not totally innovative.  But simple,  balanced,  fun and work well.  Starcraft is great the same reason WoW is great.  Blizzard took lots of simplicity and worked every imaginable kink out of it so thats its fun for ages.

• Depth, balance, high skill cap and good interface (for its time) are some of the key elements for why StarCraft has been as successful as it is.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

When it came out 12 years ago, it became popular because it was

a) fun

b) had awesome multiplayer

c) had awesome singleplayer

It was an RTS which just did it all very well. From there it developed into a strong online community and the rest is history. It was  a really solid title at the time.

• NullailNullail Member UncommonPosts: 68

As other guys said, the game is balanced and pretty fun playing online. I still have Starcraft instaled and i play it time to time...and i started playing it when it launched!

Hunter Nullail Destruction - 85 Ranger. Bristlebane (Solusek Ro) - EQ
    Knight-Captain Nullail - 60 Hunter. C'Thun - Pre TBC - WoW
    Nullail - 80 BE Hunter.Kor'Gall - WoW
    Hunter Nullail - 55 Ranger. Telon - VG
    Nullail Destruction - Archer/Bard - Cerberus. FFXIV

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

SC (and other BLizzard games) was great because Blizzard was once upon a time great storytellers. Sadly they forgot about that when they made World of Warcraft. And since SC2 and D3 just look like upgraded cartoony versions of the old games I dont have much hope for Activisionblizzard anymore.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

Starcraft was THE real time strategy to beat years back. Now it has spawned a sequel better than we could have imagined,

If you're talking about the Starcraft 2, According to what i've read,There's a new units to contend with. From the crucio siege tank (the original siege tank’s offspring) and the new protoss mothership, there are infinite possibilities for strategies and willy tactics, including sneaky and underhanded ones (especially with the terran reapers than can get virtually anywhere).

Blizzard Entertainment, the game’s developer, is a company reknowned for their critical balancing of forces within their games. They bring that legend to view even on this one. They are now tweaking the game as we speak to balance graphics and requirements, unit mobility and firepower, heck they even balance out the unit special abilities down to the last detail. Maybe that’s why the game has been in development for quite sometime now. People have been begging for a release date and system specs but Blizzard will not budge.

• LancereanLancerean Member Posts: 5

It doesn't stray far from the blueprint created by its predecessors, but it is, without a doubt, the best game to ever adhere to that formula.

Passing judgment on the most eagerly anticipated game of the last few years is no easy task; it's difficult to set aside prejudices that would sway one's opinion either way. Let's face it: Starcraft comes with a great deal of anticipatory baggage, and it would be easy to say that it's either a huge disappointment or the greatest thing since real-time strategy became a household phrase.

Truth is, it's neither. Weighed on its own merits, Starcraft is an extremely well-crafted game, albeit one with a few notable problems. It doesn't stray far from the blueprint created by its predecessors (namely the Warcrafts and Command & Conquers), but it is, without a doubt, the best game to ever adhere to that formula

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by tro44_1

What makes SC better?

You have to remember that Starcraft was released in 1998, so comparing it to games today or even games that came out in 2002 (WC III) aren't really fair.  Starcraft was on the forefront of modern day RTS's and the fact that it's still popular today is a testament to that.  Is it earth shattering today?  No.  Was it in 1998?  Yes.  Is it still a good game?  Yes.

My advice would be to try it.  Don't expect too much from it, just try it so that you'll have an idea of what to expect from Starcraft II and then make sure you go out and get Starcraft II when it is released.  I think you'll get an idea of what the impact of SC was by playing SC II when it's released.  It's going to be huge.  Do yourself a favor and be there when it happens, then you won't have to ask what so special about SC II a decade later, you'll know.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

It's very simple to answer actually. Even with some recent RTS games (Surpreme Commander, Sins of a Solar Empire, Red Alert, etc.) developers are still too stupid to make COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RACES.

Think about StarCraft; Zergling, Marine, Zealot. They had absolutely NOTHING in common. One was used to kite, the other had to be used in HUGE numbers to be effective, and the other one was downright just a juggernaut.

Until companies figure out that we don't want to see the same recycled shit between 3 races...heh, nothing will beat what Blizzard does.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • PiggyPopsPiggyPops Member Posts: 27

It's addicting

Click the dragon/egg to raise it or get your own.
    Http://www.gameslash.tk - Gaming Discussion

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Lienhart

It's very simple to answer actually. Even with some recent RTS games (Surpreme Commander, Sins of a Solar Empire, Red Alert, etc.) developers are still too stupid to make COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RACES.

Think about StarCraft; Zergling, Marine, Zealot. They had absolutely NOTHING in common. One was used to kite, the other had to be used in HUGE numbers to be effective, and the other one was downright just a juggernaut.

Until companies figure out that we don't want to see the same recycled shit between 3 races...heh, nothing will beat what Blizzard does.

^ I agree with Lienhart...

It was actually the first real time strategy since for every different unit has different stats, skills and usage. unlike the prior blizz work warcraft 1 and 2 wherein yeah its humans vs orcs but the basic unit for orcs and humans basically do the same thing. Starcraft was the first to offer diversity in strategies. It was very revolutionary at it's time

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Battle.net played a huge part, it was just so easy to play online, no other game not even the might C&C had a battle.net system, if I log into SC now there will be around 50,000 .. yup 50,000 players logged on SC.. and over 150,000 on battle.net .. 12 years after its release.

Plus SC looked fantastic at the time, great story, balanced yet very different factions and it was by Blizzard.

In short if you've not played SC your not an RTS gamer =D