Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: New Concurrent User Record

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

CCP Games is kicking off the New Year with the announcement that the previous concurrent user record of 54,181 logged on December 6th, 2009 has already been broken.

Image Credit: roBurky

On Sunday, January 3rd, 2010, CCP Games logged a concurrent user count of 54,446, besting the previous record by a slim 265 players.

The brief announcement was made to the official EVE Online Facebook page, which you can view here.

Comments

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Well no wonder... I was there and decided to log in with an alt to avoid some of the load. :)

I'm just happy that a game like this keeps growing. It's a beacon of hope for its kind and shows that you can do things your own way and still be a success - in your own way. :)

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i bet eve this year will break the 60k record

BestSigEver :P

• Lizard_SFLizard_SF Member Posts: 348

Wow. That''s more players than some (presumably A-list) MMORPGs even *have*.

Major gratz to CCP.

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

Grats CCP!

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Very impressive indeed! Grats CCP!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• LongswdLongswd Member Posts: 155

It would interesting to see their numbers for the month of February, when STO releases. Not that I think it's going to be an incredible game or that there will be lots of crossover interest, but I bet they'll feel the effect nonetheless. Even more so if JG:E ever releases and is worth a damn.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by Longswd

It would interesting to see their numbers for the month of February, when STO releases. Not that I think it's going to be an incredible game or that there will be lots of crossover interest, but I bet they'll feel the effect nonetheless. Even more so if JG:E ever releases and is worth a damn.

Well, there's always a dip whenever a major new title opens, EVE players frequently play more than one MMORPG because the game's design (like real time skill training) makes it convenient to do so.

If / when the ambulation project finally launches (and assuming it doesn't suck) that's when I thing we'll see a big uptick in EVE subs.

But I agree, JGE is more likely to draw players away from EVE, even in temporarily.  STO just doesn't seem to be going in the right direction.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Grats CCP!

Now if they can just fix the grid loading issues so we can actually fight during large scale battles instead of having these turkey shoots.

• Christopher8Christopher8 Member Posts: 134

Really? I'd assume that PL/GS would avoid the game for a while longer after the disaster that was Y-2, at least 500 billion isk later.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Longswd

The numbers are always available in a dynamic graph on the front page of the website: 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Christopher8
    Really? I'd assume that PL/GS would avoid the game for a while longer after the disaster that was Y-2, at least 500 billion isk later.

No. Considering how much ccp screwed up the sov revamp, it made conquering space a lot harder. They had no choice..with opposing timezones, there would be no chance in hell to conquer back that station.
    It's the same reason why IT has made no progress in fountain by regular system siege. It's next to impossible in the new system.

• EveeldourEveeldour Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Christopher8

^ This

• StarshakerStarshaker Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 28

Uhm...so what? I had more beans in a can than ever before. So stop beating your chest CCP and send me a gratz.

• Tartarus16Tartarus16 Member Posts: 8

at least its slowly growing

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

congrats EvE, you earned it ;) 

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Meridion

Erm, it's not a game. It's virtual sandbox chatroom. It doesn't really follow any general game rules, let alone meeting the criteria to be an MMORPG. 

We aren't allowed to discuss SL in an EVE thread or they will give you warnings and delete the majority of your posts.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I bet I was player #54,445! WEEEEE, I helped make a record!

BOOYAKA!

• cwRiiscwRiis Member Posts: 32

I've played various MMOs over the last decade.  I've never played SL.  But I do think that EVE Online is the first MMO that really puts the M in Mmo.  You can be in a system with 50 pilots and not see a one.  And you can undock from a Jita station and see hundreds in your face.  And where else can you have the 500+ per side turkey shoots.  Grats to CCP for slow and steady growth.

• StarshakerStarshaker Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 28

Life is the biggest MMO and the biggest sandbox with the largest concurrent player base...EVER. I don't think CCP can beat the 6 billion mark, eh? EVERYONE plays but the subscription can be cancelled without notice at any time. =D

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by Starshaker

Life is the biggest MMO and the biggest sandbox with the largest concurrent player base...EVER. I don't think CCP can beat the 6 billion mark, eh? EVERYONE plays but the subscription can be cancelled without notice at any time. =D

Or it can be cancelled slowly, painfully, over multiple years while it gets eaten from the inside out by parasitic subscription-devouring monstrosities. Dang, that game doesn't sound like fun anymore.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by shava

And at some point I'll have to see if there's any available technical info on how CCP adjusts their servers for fleet combat when a form is submitted, or generally how they handle load balancing.  I'd be fascinated to see that.

A lot of that info can be found in the Quantum Rise DevBlogs. That expansion was more a leap forward in tech than in content.

StacklessIO information:

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=584

Upgrading to 64-bit software and hardware combined (EVE64):

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=588

Lotsa node data and fleet dedicated node information:

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=589

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

Originally posted by shava

And at some point I'll have to see if there's any available technical info on how CCP adjusts their servers for fleet combat when a form is submitted, or generally how they handle load balancing.  I'd be fascinated to see that.

A lot of that info can be found in the Quantum Rise DevBlogs. That expansion was more a leap forward in tech than in content.

[snipped]

Oh, AWESOME.  See, I left Eve in 2006 and came back xmas on a 5 day pass -- and then my bf got involved and I'm back.  So in the intervening years I missed a lot *and* got interested in game engines.  So tyvm!  Bookmarked for later perusal, when it's not the ass end of an evening before an early day!

*happy gryn*

Shava

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Grats CCP, not kick a few players off so I can log in.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Stay on topic guys, this discussion isn't about whether or not Second Life is an MMO.

• h8erberryh8erberry Member Posts: 21

54,181 concurrent users online?

54,181 concurrent clients online.  Fixt

I would guess the sum of true users was somewhere around 20,000.

Not to mention how is it a seem less world when you go through load screens at every jump gate. Don't get me started but this game is one big collection of public instances same as AOC but just not as obvious to most people.