Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of giving this one a go

Hi folks, im really looking into starting to play this game (trail downloading currently) but wondering if you lit can answer some questions below :)

Whats the crafting like?  I like a risk reward element, either be it with rare drops or rated gear like DAOC

I play in the EU timezones so while some games are good in the states with their servers sometimes the EU servers are dead or are supported by other companies that don't really care (goa anyone?) Im a mature male in his late twenties and will always use voicecoms in games so want to know people who i play with and not OMG UBER LEWT LOOLOLOL style of game. I find it awarding helping others to get gear and achievements and want a community that feels the same at all levels of the game.

How well is the end game stuff in Lotro? What EQ or WOW bosses does it compare to with complexity and how many people does it take to kill and see endgame content?

I don't know why but i get the impression lotro is a hand holding experience is this true?

It may be fun to play a game with zero pvp again and it may have less greedy players

Cheers

Paul

EQ1, DAOC, EQ2, WOW, AOC,Dungeon Runners, WAR, DF WOW, FE

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    • Community is pretty good, you will hardly find players that you described.
    • Crafting is very mediocre with casting bar, and no customization. All items are fixed recipes with critted version being superior. You can improve the crit chance with better tools or certain temporary buffs from scrolls.
    • End-game is consisted of one raid and a few 3-6 man instances + skirmishes (instanced PvE scripted battlegrounds with a certain minor random element).
    • Lotro was never really item-centric game in SoA, but slowly shifting towards that since MoM. There is gated content (that you can only enter with certain gear - that you get from running dungeons from previous tiers). In a way it is artifically blocked, and you need to progress throught the content the way the developers intented - hence it definetly is a hand-holding system.

REALITY CHECK

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Well up too lvl 50 crafting is very good and at best equal too or better than most raid gear, especially if you have mastered a tier and can make crit gear. 

Unfortunately after lvl 50 and with the Mines of Moria expansion; Turbine thought it best to butcher crafting besides 1-2 crafts, and introduce legendary weps {which I still never found one that was good for my Minstrel} and gear progression / lock-out similar to WoW...only a few sets, but they're required to proceed!

If you decided to do crafting and want to make a profit don't do anything that has to do with armor or weapons cause its all a joke after lvl 50 and worthless! 

Besides Ettenmoors, yes its all PvE and the epic books {also butchered to practically solo and very easy} are great to play through as well as most the quests, and the world is absolutely stunning to explore...you'll enjoy that.  End Game has gone from raids of 24-players down to the max of 12 since MoM, and they require the gear progression I mentioned earlier to be able to stand inside the door, and not cower in fear...hehe  There are only 3 maybe 4 raids now that are 12-man, everything else are 6, 3 and solo...and are not very difficult.  Sure the first few times without proper gear you'll get your ass handed to ya until you learn it, but inthe end you'll realize it was fairly easy to begin with.

One great thing is the overworld is still heavily populated with elite mobs in certain areas, unlike WoW and will require the help of others for many quests and books, but there are enough quests that you can skip everything elite, come back a few lvls later and solo most elite quests, and all the way to 65 you can solo!  Yes LOTRO holds your hand, but its a very fun and unique experience.  I highly suggest no matter what race you start with, after the trial portion lvl your char through the Shire first...it is an incredible experience, and so funny most the quests...silly hobbits!

• PringlerPringler Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Khrymson

and are not very difficult.  Sure the first few times without proper gear you'll get your ass handed to ya until you learn it, but inthe end you'll realize it was fairly easy to begin with.

So does the game become a bore if content isnt all that difficult?

Im after a game that will at least challenge me and kick my ass if im all nooby about it :)

Originally posted by Pringler

and are not very difficult.  Sure the first few times without proper gear you'll get your ass handed to ya until you learn it, but inthe end you'll realize it was fairly easy to begin with.

So does the game become a bore if content isnt all that difficult?

Im after a game that will at least challenge me and kick my ass if im all nooby about it :)

It does get rather boring after awhile, and with all the butchering to crafting and requiring certain gear{which u didn't before}, I can't bring myself to play it again.  Its similar to WoW kinda, with each new expansion or major update they've been releasing a newer/better set of gear...it was great before!  Now its just armor farming progression...

1-50 is still great and some of MoM are worth playing through cause the exploration is nice, but after u hit the cap its pathetic, and very boring.  I loved it very much until these changes, also that Turbine has neglected to add new skills from 60-65 but 1 for each class which most are useless, plus all their mob grinding reward/achievement style {forget the name} is still hard capped at 10, when I have almost all of them at 13-15+, but it reads 13+/-3...its dumb they won't raise that!

The only MMO that I can vouche for being difficult still and kicking ur ass every step of the way is FFXI, and hopefully FFXIV!

• PringlerPringler Member Posts: 6

one more q as i love playing a support class in mmo's :)

Does the game suffer a lack of support class player base (tanks and healers) or can groups either survive without support or does a cookie cut group have to be created for content?

Minstrel is the primary healer and what you'll need for anything difficult or an easier time with anything, and ultimately knowing you'll succeed/survive as long as they know what they're doing.{My main is a Minstrel completely decked out in the best there was before SoM}   Rune-Keepers are the secondary healer and can do ok for many things, but don't hold a flame to a Minstrel in healing power and reliability.

Guardian is the primary tank, and I think the the new Warden can some, but they are like as I said above secondary at best.  The Captain I've seen tank some things, but struggles with others...they are more a backup jack-of-all-trades.  {Don't take complete accuracy on all this, been awhile since I played...}

• labg11labg11 Member Posts: 84

Howdy there,

Really, try the game for yourself, this isn't the best forums to come ask for "opinions based on facts", bunch of haters/trolls/theoretical conspirateurs, etc etc...

Anyhow, for me (and me only) based in numerous facts i've posted countless times this game is one of the greatest experiences out there.

I play also in european timezone but in US servers (i lived there a while back and then moved), however i don't know how codemaster nor european server community is, since i've created my account on US servers. Perhapssome menber could give you some insigth on how that is. Or maybe just check the european website for the game.

To answer your questions,

Crafting, yeah it works, it suits and it's usefull, finally, your countless hours of gathering resources whorth something other than a lowsy item, when combined properly using the rigth stuff. Yes they are recipes, but soem are dropped, some are aquired via "earnign" the trust of a faction, some crafting materials are not just harvested... it has it's posibilities to keep you busy.

Hand held.... well actually, far from truth, if you're not where you're suppose to be or fail to play correctly your class, you'll die, and die, and die, and die!!!. The instances or dungeons lately are becoming puzzling, not only a boss figth, but the whole instance (see dol guldur dungeons, amongst others...)

Anyhwo i could go on and on... but seriusly try it by yourself and get your own conclussions, it's the best anyways!

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Minstrel is the primary healer and what you'll need for anything difficult or an easier time with anything, and ultimately knowing you'll succeed/survive as long as they know what they're doing.{My main is a Minstrel completely decked out in the best there was before SoM}   Rune-Keepers are the secondary healer and can do ok for many things, but don't hold a flame to a Minstrel in healing power and reliability.

Guardian is the primary tank, and I think the the new Warden can some, but they are like as I said above secondary at best.  The Captain I've seen tank some things, but struggles with others...they are more a backup jack-of-all-trades.  {Don't take complete accuracy on all this, been awhile since I played...}

Rune Keeper and Warden can main heal and main tank just fine. In fact they are prefered for many of the encounters.

• labg11labg11 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by arenasb

Rune Keeper and Warden can main heal and main tank just fine. In fact they are prefered for many of the encounters.

Yeah riiiiigth, want to see a RK keeping a warden alive even in SoH hard mode and doing damage as the same time... it's just math you know, warden has like dunno, 2000 o 3000 point of armour less?, hence mitigation will be like 10-15% lower, and when a boss hit that poor thing with 2000-3000 dmg i want to see a rk that can heal that amount in a mater of 0.8 secs of induction.

Granted they are superb classes but just don't go over the edge there claiming they can assume a main role of a class specially designed for it.

And anyhow, sorry for the de-railing i just needed to reply taht comment.

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319
    Originally posted by labg11

Yeah riiiiigth, want to see a RK keeping a warden alive even in SoH hard mode and doing damage as the same time... it's just math you know, warden has like dunno, 2000 o 3000 point of armour less?, hence mitigation will be like 10-15% lower, and when a boss hit that poor thing with 2000-3000 dmg i want to see a rk that can heal that amount in a mater of 0.8 secs of induction.
    Granted they are superb classes but just don't go over the edge there claiming they can assume a main role of a class specially designed for it.

That is lame if that's true. I haven't gotten around to SoM end-game yet, but RKs did fine healing the Moria 6/3-mans. I also preferred Wardens in certain encounters (Skumfil, HoM).

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• slide_k9slide_k9 Member UncommonPosts: 45

Rune keepers are not suposed to do damage and heal at the same time, the are either exceptional healers or vgood damage dealers - however it uses 'attunement' and cannot do both jobs at the same time.

slide

• TrucegoreTrucegore Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Thillian

Community is pretty good, you will hardly find players that you described.
    Crafting is very mediocre with casting bar, and no customization. All items are fixed recipes with critted version being superior. You can improve the crit chance with better tools or certain temporary buffs from scrolls.
    End-game is consisted of one raid and a few 3-6 man instances + skirmishes (instanced PvE scripted battlegrounds with a certain minor random element).
    Lotro was never really item-centric game in SoA, but slowly shifting towards that since MoM. There is gated content (that you can only enter with certain gear - that you get from running dungeons from previous tiers). In a way it is artifically blocked, and you need to progress throught the content the way the developers intented - hence it definetly is a hand-holding system.

Hyperbole.

• rufenrufen Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by labg11

Originally posted by arenasb

actually did SoH hard mode with a rune keeper and we did just fine. Warden on the other hand, I can't remember any who could tank as well as a guardian tho.

for the OP:  there's a lot of grinding for some aspect of the game, but you can do good without it just fine. the crafting is nice for end-game with the new relics everyone can craft and sell. (relics are for legendary items, which is a kind of unique system to LOTRO I think..) 

I didn't play anything else except warhammer since 2 years, and unlike warhammer, I never got really bored with LOTRO.