Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Decade in Review

13»

Comments

• nexus1gnexus1g Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Spiider

I hate to be picky but decade ends in 2010 and not in 2009.

So by this logic, the decade of the 80's ended in 1990? I don't think so. Our current and practical use of the term "decade" goes from the beginning of x0 to the end of x9.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by nexus1g

So by this logic, the decade of the 80's ended in 1990? I don't think so. Our current and practical use of the term "decade" goes from the beginning of x0 to the end of x9.

its not "our" its you who do that, do the math since don't exist the 0 year

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

Originally posted by nexus1g

its not "our" its you who do that, do the math since don't exist the 0 year

Stop with the calendar lessons, we already settled this about 30 posts back, read the thread please before you post off topic stuff..(again)

Back to the OP.

I think the author did a decent job picking games that had huge influence in the genre. Sorry, FFXI fans, the game was niche, mostly popular in Japan and never a big factor here in the west nor did many other companies bother to copy anything from it to  incorporate it into their games. Square-Enix is just not a household name in MMO's, even today.

City of Heroes.... it did seem to be the first MMORPG to warm the hearts of people who didn't like MMO''s, i recall a magazine I used to read (Computer Gaming World) and their writiers literally hated all MMO's up until COH then they all fell in love with it and gushed its praises.

Personally, being a fan of the old school, I tossed the game in a month as the gameplay was too different for my tastes, however several of my Lineage 1 blood pledge mates loved it and played it exclusively for several years. (some still play today)

Oh well, looking forward to next weeks look at a post-WOW world, mostly to see if there's much on the horizon that isn't trying to borrow from WOW.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Should mention how Microsoft and Atari bring down the failure in MMOs magically. That's always worth discussing about the last decade.

It was Microsoft's plans and schedules that doomed AC2, and they originally backed Vanguard who's game was in dire straights when they finally left the deal.

Another thing that's fun to look at is how the early games are all still around, and then only certain notables since then have stayed. You can look back and see when it went from companies wanting to create fun unique games to a ton of start ups trying to cash in on the market and failing.

You had the precursors of before the genre was really known, like meridian 59 and the Realm which both stayed around for a long time, even after UO popped up. Then you have the original big 3 UO AC and EQ, all of which are still running and profitable.

Then you have the new entries like AO, DAoC, SWG. Even despite AOs terrible launch it was clearly trying to do something a bit different and trying to make a good game. DAoC introduced RvR and SWG introduced known IPs. All of the games made major mistakes at some point or another but they're all still running. EvE showed up as something completly different and clawed it's way up through caring about it's game. Still running and doing very well.

Then WoW shows up and starts putting up insane sub numbers do to timing and ease of use. Then suddenly everyone had to get into the market. What followed, with only a few exceptions (like LotRO) was a bunch of failed titles due to trying to be like WoW and get into the market fast to take a piece of the action.

Really this decade should of showed us how bad a market can turn when it goes from people who genuinely care about the market and want to make interesting fun games. To a market of greedy people trying to get a piece of the pie.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Really this decade should of showed us how bad a market can turn when it goes from people who genuinely care about the market and want to make interesting fun games. To a market of greedy people trying to get a piece of the pie.

Prime example: SOE, under the "leadership" of John Smedley, consumed by his WoW envy.

BTW, decades in the cultural sense don't fall conveniently with the calendar.  The 60's started on November 22, 1963, and ended on August 9th, 1974.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Besides WoW, American and European MMOs are utter garbage. And though I might be racist, Final Fantasy XI taught me that sticking to my fellow Taiwanese friends or Japanese pugs ALWAYS resulted in a more pleasant party time than with Americans or Europeans.

This is most likely a American site, therefore, XI would be ignored. They missed Lineage 1, Lineage 2, Final Fantasy XI, and other huge games that had their beta blown up (back when Open beta really was open beta).

Flame on. Asians > Americans.

I live to go faster...or die trying.