Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

Comments

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

If there is any real hate for an idea for an mmo for this game I can only say look at how we treat everything else that comes out.....

But with that out of the way I would like to go on record and say I have absolutely no hate for any idea for a Twilight game, I'd certainly say that I am entirely indifferent though as in I couldn't care less if it was the last video game to be developed.  I have yet to read a Twilight book or watch either of the two movies which my wife and daughter both love so I can say with a fair bit of certainty that anything done in the world of Twilight would not pique my curiosity in the least bit just as I don't acknowledge Hello Kitty Online,Lego Online,Free Realms, or the Harry Potter rumors (if they are even true).  Yup I just could not care less......

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• darkb457darkb457 Member CommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Bountytaker

Originally posted by Rollgunner

Originally posted by Zstroyer

Why a Twilight MMORPG would not work?  And why this article is so terrible?
    Because 14 years old girls aren't the driving force behind the video gaming industry.  And because CCP/White Wolf's World of Darkness MMO would stomp it into the ground.  
    C'mon now, what are you smoking?

Yes, but if a Twilight MMO came out, then 14 year old girls might *become* a driving force behind the video game industry...

As a demographic, they have a ridiculously huge amount of disposable income.

I quoted it before, I'll do it again:

George Lucas : "If you can tune into the fantasy life of an 11 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this business."

He was not wrong... and *someone* will be the first to do it in video games.

Lucas' quote actually hurts your argument, as opposed to making it.  Because you aren't actually determining the "fantasy" that the books provide.  You're just taking something tween girls "like" (in this case a series of books) and calling it their generic "fantasy".

Ask yourself:  What's the real "fantasy" the Twilight books capture and provide for young girls (age 11-15)?

Answer:  Male protagonists that act more akin to the developmental level of females at that age as opposed to males.  In other words, male characters that DON'T act like 14 year old boys (immature and emotionally shallow), but DO act like 14 year old girls (intellectually stronger and in touch with deeper emotions).

Now, ask yourself about the normal audience for any mmo?  Is it a bastion of mature or emotionally deep males?  Ahhhh...no!

Basically, an mmo CAN'T tap into the tween girl fantasy life, no matter WHAT the IP is...because the tween girl fantasy is to avoid lesser developed, emotionally closed, aggressive, mmo playing tween boys.

Which is why I said before:  Game companies wasting money trying to attract demographics that CAN'T stick with an mmo is a waste of money.  Like making cars for chimps.  Sure, its an untapped market, and if it works you'd be a visionary, but, really, should we even try to get chimps to drive cars?

this just sounds misandrist

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by darkb457

Originally posted by Bountytaker

Originally posted by Rollgunner

Originally posted by Zstroyer

Why a Twilight MMORPG would not work?  And why this article is so terrible?
    Because 14 years old girls aren't the driving force behind the video gaming industry.  And because CCP/White Wolf's World of Darkness MMO would stomp it into the ground.  
    C'mon now, what are you smoking?

Yes, but if a Twilight MMO came out, then 14 year old girls might *become* a driving force behind the video game industry...

As a demographic, they have a ridiculously huge amount of disposable income.

I quoted it before, I'll do it again:

George Lucas : "If you can tune into the fantasy life of an 11 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this business."

He was not wrong... and *someone* will be the first to do it in video games.

Lucas' quote actually hurts your argument, as opposed to making it.  Because you aren't actually determining the "fantasy" that the books provide.  You're just taking something tween girls "like" (in this case a series of books) and calling it their generic "fantasy".

Ask yourself:  What's the real "fantasy" the Twilight books capture and provide for young girls (age 11-15)?

Answer:  Male protagonists that act more akin to the developmental level of females at that age as opposed to males.  In other words, male characters that DON'T act like 14 year old boys (immature and emotionally shallow), but DO act like 14 year old girls (intellectually stronger and in touch with deeper emotions).

Now, ask yourself about the normal audience for any mmo?  Is it a bastion of mature or emotionally deep males?  Ahhhh...no!

Basically, an mmo CAN'T tap into the tween girl fantasy life, no matter WHAT the IP is...because the tween girl fantasy is to avoid lesser developed, emotionally closed, aggressive, mmo playing tween boys.

Which is why I said before:  Game companies wasting money trying to attract demographics that CAN'T stick with an mmo is a waste of money.  Like making cars for chimps.  Sure, its an untapped market, and if it works you'd be a visionary, but, really, should we even try to get chimps to drive cars?

this just sounds misandrist

Yeah...I worried it could come off as mean towards one side or another..but, believe me, it's not intended that way.  I do clinical/psychological/therapeutic work with teen males and females.  So I was just trying to put it into a different perspective.  Trying to reference the science behind adolescent development (that females develop earlier than males, who catch up later).

In the end, it all equals out.  So, no offense meant to we males out there.  Actually, part of the point of my comment was to counter a bit of a "simplistic" view of FEMALES that I was reading in some threads.  To say that "tween girls" will flock to something simply because it has a name on it that they recognize/like seems to insult their intelligence.  And, IMO, THAT is what  Lucas was trying to say:  that you'd have to find the "root" of their interest in a subject/product to make it really work, as opposed to just pasting a picture and a name on the box.

Basically:  When dealing with teen girls (and boys) as a demographic, it's not as easy as putting a picture on a box, as Mr. Webb seems to think.  As someone who deals with both all day, I can confirm that they are much more complicated than that ;)

(Sorry to those that may have found it insulting)

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

I think I'm going to switch my stance on this.

I think there SHOULD be a GREAT Twilight MMO.

Why you ask?

To segregate the mmorpg population. Who else is tired of seeing blood elves named Teamedward? 

FEEL ME?!

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by eburn

I think I'm going to switch my stance on this.
    I think there SHOULD be a GREAT Twilight MMO.
    Why you ask?
    To segregate the mmorpg population. Who else is tired of seeing blood elves named Teamedward? 
    FEEL ME?!

Wow...you actually make an incredibly good point. Although if you want to get away from people with dumb names, support RP servers. While some that are on them may not want to RP, the fact that they have strict rules is enough incentive for a true fantasy loving community to want to be a part of one. A true RP server, like EQ1 did.

Although the fact that someone even had to post this article is more than enough reason why a twilight MMO shouldn't exist.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

This would be on RP servers.

A lot of RPers like to create their own subset of a world within game lore and what not.. I've had this discussion a million times in a million places. Doubt any game could truly support RP the way those who like a structured RP format in a sufficient way.

Like I've said elsewhere as well.. I don't think MMOs should follow the whole 'we got a billion player' model any more. The smart companies are going to look for these niches and support as many of them as possible.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Irishoak

Originally posted by GT3000

Man we got trolled.
    Twilight MMO?
    8/10, Sir. I raged.

Nice. Best response of the thread.

I concur.  Damn near had an anuerism (sp).

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

.die

Twilight has already disgraced this big screen, don't you dare touch video games, Stephenie Meyer. DON'T YOU DARE!

/intimidate

Twilight's hot, I'll agree, but 'recycling' is a sign that the popularity is dropping, or you're activision, and love money. Merch is undeniable, you have to have shirts. What comes next? Buttons, stickers, swag. Then you start getting make-up, perfume, costumes, licensed apparel. It has to stop at crossing media, Books and movies, that's it! If you start making a video game out of twilight, 2012 never sounded so much sweeter. You have to agree with me, twilight can never be a video game, especially an MMO.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• KeltikKeltik Member UncommonPosts: 89

As the proud father of 3 daughters, I can honestly say that the 2 that can talk ( 1s still in nappies ) would kill to play a game based on this emo franchise.  I've never read the books/seen the films so probably wouldn't play.

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

I don't hate Twilight per se, but I do hate Twilight fans with a passion. See, a few months back my wife and I went on a romantic getaway out on the Washington coast. We were at a cozy little Italian eatery, enjoying our wine and some peace and quiet, when next to us plops down several moms and their gaggle of Twilight-crazed teens. The rest of our dinner was absolutely ruined as we were subjected to conversations about teen angst and vampire babies (I guess it's in the book).

Of course, this little tourist town near Forks had completely embraced the whole Twilight garbage - the bookstore had vampire sighting guides and maps, the coffee shop served werewolf lattes, etc.Talking to the locals, I guess Twilight is a big cottage industry now, with tens of thousands of fans going to visit Forks and local towns nearby.

I'm guessing that an MMOG based on Twilight would just attract more of these insane fangurlz, who IMHO are 10 times more annoying than dudes who speak Klingon or dress in stormtrooper armor. The only thing I would be looking forward to is the first Oprah special that exposes the Twilight game as a seedy underground for pedophiles.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by BattleFelon

I The only thing I would be looking forward to is the first Oprah special that exposes the Twilight game as a seedy underground for pedophiles.

Oh man that last bit got me and my g/f laughing hard.

But it does seriously disturb me when I hear middle-aged women talking about how hot a 17 year-old's body is. I'd be attacked or maybe even arrested for publically sexualizing a 17 year-old girl.

I think we are experiencing a degradation in our society.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Cecropia

I The only thing I would be looking forward to is the first Oprah special that exposes the Twilight game as a seedy underground for pedophiles.

But it does seriously disturb me when I hear middle-aged women talking about how hot a 17 year-old's body is. I'd be attacked or maybe even arrested for publically sexualizing a 17 year-old girl.

its the old double standards kind of thing, if its a woman, their called cougars, but if its a man, they're called a paedophile..er.. a dirty old man..  and yes, some of these topics do seem to be getting a bit close to 'taboo' subjects..

• xBrandoxBrando Member Posts: 91

Bringing hot "Twi-hard" chicks into the world of MMO's?

....why not?

• eqfanaatikkoeqfanaatikko Member Posts: 33

"as a developer, I'm also really interested in making an MMO that's going to be popular in addition to being a great game. If the game makes money, my studio stays open and I get to make another game."

See here is where this industry FAILS. Making yet another game and another.. AS IF WE NEEDED MORE of these SHITTY SO SO GAMES.. that are coming out like from a factory line and then soon die. There's already tons of them.

A developer you say? Then your studio should STAY SHUT and BURNED TO THE GROUND PERIOD. You obviously have no commitment, dedication and passion making THE GAME you just want to SHIT THEM OUT like the rest of the industry. F OFF! Your type this industry DOES NOT NEED! 

Stop writing these retarded colums and go back to that rat hole you came from.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by eqfanaatikko

"as a developer, I'm also really interested in making an MMO that's going to be popular in addition to being a great game. If the game makes money, my studio stays open and I get to make another game."
    See here is where this industry FAILS. Making yet another game and another.. AS IF WE NEEDED MORE of these SHITTY SO SO GAMES.. that are coming out like from a factory line and then soon die. There's already tons of them.

A developer you say? Then your studio should STAY SHUT and BURNED TO THE GROUND PERIOD. You obviously have no commitment, dedication and passion making THE GAME you just want to SHIT THEM OUT like the rest of the industry. F OFF! Your type this industry DOES NOT NEED! 

Stop writing these retarded colums and go back to that rat hole you came from.

Uhm, just because the game is based on Twilight doesn't mean it will suck. Yes, most MMOs suck and the IP isn't ultimate but people have made good games before with a world that could have been better. Norrath isn't so good if you look at it compared to real PnP settings like Forgotten realms, yet Eq changed everything.

The real problem with MMOs is not the world but the system that basically is the same as all other MMOs. If a game has great mechanics I will play it even if the world totally blows.

Warhammers world is great (in the RPG at least) but Mythics game was just so so becuase they used the same mechanics as everyone else (together with censorship, the world is more "adult" than Mythic made it).

So go on devs, make a Twilight MMO. But it better be really fun to play it or it will be gone faster than you can say "Tabula Rasa".

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Must not be American because I talk about them all the time and since we do have another awesome pop culture word ya know "cougars" I don't think it would be as shunned on as you think.

I can pretty quickly name a good ten rock and roll songs about way too old guys fawning over seventeen year old girls

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• YaguerYaguer Member Posts: 4

I had to log back into my account and respond to this. It's harsh, but this article writer to me lost all credibility he has. I'm speechless by this article.

• HoundeyeHoundeye Member Posts: 110

Twilight isnt big enough to warrent a MMO where as the area of Vampire vs Lycans (werewolves) is.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by jaxsundane

Must not be American because I talk about them all the time and since we do have another awesome pop culture word ya know "cougars" I don't think it would be as shunned on as you think.

I can pretty quickly name a good ten rock and roll songs about way too old guys fawning over seventeen year old girls

I'm glad your music justifies the sexualizing of minors for you, but it doesn't do it for me. You don't just shrug off shit like this. What raised you?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• kriebloodkrieblood Member Posts: 223

Simple answer

Mortal Online/EarthRise/Project V13
    TheVindicators.com

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293

Only if I can play

• roach5000roach5000 Member Posts: 77

I want to be Blacula

• hellshankshellshanks Member Posts: 144

nope, sorry, terrible fucking idea

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

It's just the normal world with vamps and werewolves hiding in plain site and fighting in secret. How would the game work? I highly doubt an mmo would be anything else than killing stuff. Maybe as a single player game...oh wait...nvm.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• RPGOmenRPGOmen Member Posts: 38

I think it's a good idea...

You know, because a blood sucking vampire werewolf that glitters in the sun, falls in love with a girl, and fights his own kinds is a totally unique and original idea.

Truly.

Who cares if their traditional weaknesses are totally negated?  Having "Mary Sue" characters is the new thing in books.  Ohh... I'm going to protect the girl I love, that is my weakness!  Lawl. (generalized perception for effect)

Any company that even attempts this will be bankrupt within two years of launch; the book readers and in some cases movie goers who think this is a good story aren't the gamers/anime/comic lovers who think it was overdone... several decades ago.

They will look forward to more "socially acceptable" titles such as the established Final Fantasy series or any other genre out there that is acclaimed by the community that will end up playing MMOs in the first place.  People are even hating on Rhonin since his SHEER WILL is able to overturn the most harsh of circumstances, while his dragon friend is getting his ass kicked... and the fact he got into Vereesa's pants.  Though Warcraft was already developed through multiple channels before all of those books and trilogies of it were made; five games, card games, board games, mugs, etc.

So, unless they can get Blizzard, Squaresoft, or an equally experienced/dedicated company into making such a game, there won't be a snow ball's chance in the BLAZING flames of a THOUSAND hot white suns of it succeeding beyond simply "barely surviving" the market, if that.