Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mmorpg.com payed off?

raysieraysie Member UncommonPosts: 32

ooh come on mmorpg.com has got to be payed by turbine to keep lotro at the top of the most popular list mybe in the form of advertising it happens come on slap me with a ban stick i dont care just deny it !!!

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

OP: 

It's an evil conspiracy! Look at the red in his eyes!

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215

Lol

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

Raaaaaaaaage!

Seriously though, LotRO is at the top of the list because - unlike WoW, WAR, AoC and other good MMOGs - it doesn't have an army of haters voting it down. (Just watch the haters responding to me calling the above games good... :p)

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by Dreamagram

Raaaaaaaaage!
    Seriously though, LotRO is at the top of the list because - unlike WoW, WAR, AoC and other good MMOGs - it doesn't have an army of haters voting it down. (Just watch the haters responding to me calling the above games good... :p)

Or maybe it's at the top of the list because it's a good game, better than WoW, WAR, or AoC?

is with all these conspiracy theories? Maybe you should pay an army of haters to vote the game down like MMORPG.com is paying an army of supporters to keep it at the top.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by raysie

ooh come on mmorpg.com has got to be payed by turbine to keep lotro at the top of the most popular list mybe in the form of advertising it happens come on slap me with a ban stick i dont care just deny it !!!

LOTRO is at the top of the most popular list because it is a good stable game awesome community and Turbine does a really good job satisfying there player base.  It is why I have a lifetime sub even though I'm not playing it right now.  It is that popular because most people either love LOTRO or they just don't find it fun there is no hatred involved because Turbine hasn't burned alot of potential customers like so many other products have done.

And I hopr they don't slap you with the ban stick just explain to you that popularity says nothing about a persons personal taste.  You obviously don't like LOTRO but can you say you really hate the game for reasons that aren't self serving (such as to fit this argument, or because your sick of friends who do actually like it.).

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by raysie

Yep, that's it. It has to be, couldn't have anything to LotRO being a good game. Not to mention that Turbine stays as true to the lore as can be expected, and that the player-base it has seems to be quite happy with the game.

Now, couple that with the fact that Turbine doesn't have any problems dropping the advertisement dollars, and it is pretty obvious as to why LotRO stays at or near the top of said list.

But hey, your theory is so much funner!!

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Dreamagram

Raaaaaaaaage!

Maybe you are right. And many there is no reason to hate LotRO?

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494
    Originally posted by jaxsundane

LOTRO is at the top of the most popular list because it is a good stable game awesome community and Turbine does a really good job satisfying there player base.  It is why I have a lifetime sub even though I'm not playing it right now.  It is that popular because most people either love LOTRO or they just don't find it fun there is no hatred involved because Turbine hasn't burned alot of potential customers like so many other products have done.

Well said.  Turbine really is a great company, and although I might slam on them from time to time for making D&D and LotRO ip's into such vanilla MMORPG's it is really the only way to go from a business standpoint due to the mass appeal of the IP's and the mass appeal of their MMO formula.

LotRO is a good solid MMO with a good honest company backing it up and I expect it to be around for a very long time especially with expansions which add more of Tolkien's Universe to the game.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

My 2 cents...  Lotro is an awesome game with some really amazing graphics in dx10 mode but you can go all day in it without anyone even speaking to you.  In my own experience getting anyone to group up was like putting a nail through your eyeball, once you finally got a team together everyone wanted to drop out.  Again I think fondly of Lotro but it has such few players that it sucks the fun right out of it.  EQ2 is a much better game if you have a system that can handle it 8 )

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

I doubt that anyone is being PAID to vote for the game.  Fact is, the game is solid.  Not great, but not terrible at all.  Its population is stable, and the game is very much middle of the road in every way.  I honestly think if they added meaningful pvp, the game might become huge, but for now it's just plain average, which in this market isn't a terrible thing.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i think the OP just wanted attention....

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538

Since when did anyone pay attention to the most popular lists on this site? Everyone has known the list is crap for years. Doesn't matter what game is at the top there is some group saying it shouldn't be and the people who voted it there are such a miniscule part of the gaming world anyway. who cares?

• raysieraysie Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by miagisan

i think the OP just wanted attention....

moi ?? an attention seeker never!!  just wanting to see the comunity thoughts on online games mags being bribed (or not) by multi milion dollar companys to give good score and such, iam i not allowed to ask or debate this kind of question out loud?p.s not saying mmorpg is involed in anything like this iam sure its because lotro is a great game that is why its up there constantly. along with atlantica

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

LOTRO is a solid game and understandable why people here might vote it to the top of the list.  Especially when you consider the "mmo war" that goes on here daily and that this site primarily attracts the mmo homeless who are not happy with anything in the genre right now.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I would have to agree, LOTRO is a very solid game, and has a lot going for it.. i have played it and tbh, i liked it.. the only problem is that to keep playing it i would have had to give up playing Eve... both games need a lot of time put into them and i just couldnt manage more than one...  there is another valid point mentioned though, you dont really hear about LOTRO haters, so i guess it must be a fairly inoffensive game..  then again of course, most people who play MMO's at one point or another in their childhood read the hobbit and the lord of the rings books.