Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this an actual MMO or an FPS with MMO elements?

KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I've been trying to read the website but the site and the videos are of no help because they're too BUSY throwing EXTREME buzz WORDS!!! all up in MY FACE! But seriously, every time I read about taking control of territory and persistent world maps, everything is suddenly doubled back on when they start talking about "matches" and "missions" suggesting it's just a glorified unlock system you would find in a FPS game, only you happen to have persistent characters.

So whats really going on?

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Comments

• GameMonger71GameMonger71 Member UncommonPosts: 122

I totally agree with you.  The many vague references to alliance vs alliance combat and its impact on the world are starting to set alarm bells off for me.  If you have something good, just show us HiRez.  Otherwise, it starting to sound a lot like a shiny "new" version of multiplayer team shooters already out there.  We can sit and bandy about definitions in threads all day long.

I have not beta or alpha tested, so all I can base my opinion on is what HiRez puts out and whatever knowledgeable posts I can get from people walking the NDA line presumably.  With that, and some many recent let downs in bland games, I simply cannot pre-order the game.  Maybe I will buy after launch and we get some real info.  Is it worth $44 as a shooter - maybe.  Is it any kind of MMO in the sense that the industry has used this designation for?  On one hand I say who cares...it as an MMO about like Planetside is an MMO.  The thing that is starting to bother me is HiRez's claims that MMORPGrs are coming over to this game.  From what I see on several websites, it is true that they are attracting a new crowd with GA, but it is not the MMORPG crowd but the FPS and team shooter crowd.  That is fine, I just do not like the marketing stuff I feel that goes on that sort of cleverly makes you think or guess at what the game is. 

Show us the alliance vs alliance world changing aspects.  Show us the persistence and character advancement.  I want to see how running PvE labs over and over really is dynamic and does not get stale as the developer said.  I want to see how 12 vs 12 matches affect a world across a broad arc.  How do we see these world changing events?  Some website that says "x" agency owns "y" and they are getting +2 on some aspect of the game (no elves, right)?  All of these questions and doubts could be easily erased with a little more video on these aspects of the game.  Instead, I have seen some flashy 12vs12 team shooter PvP ala Tribes and some good (but possibly repetitive) PvE lab runs.  I have seen nothing else, yet I am suppossed to believe this game is more than what has been shown because someone trying to sell the game is promising me that it is.

If GA is a good game it will stand up to the light of day without milking pre-orders for a beta glimpse.   Respect us enough as consumers to show us the other aspects of your game before I have to pay a cent.  That act alone would make me more likely to give you my money right now.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

there are no plans to release a video on AvA just for you. they've nothing to prove. due to the NDA i can only tell you that: AvA works, it's fun, and it's still being tested and improved. to my knowledge, all of alpha/beta tester have pre-ordered or plan to pre-order the game. but this may not mean much to you. if you like what u see from the videos, and what you heard from developers, then you will probably like the game. no one is hyping the game up or making up stuff that won't be in the release.this isnt EVE or..WAR.

• GameMonger71GameMonger71 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Good to hear and I hope you are right.  I do not know why they will not release video of AvA so that the consumer (not just me) can see more, but you are in game so that means a lot to me.  I will probably wait until after release to see some more details since they are not releasing as much info as I personally want to make me purchase early.  One thing that got me in your post was the ALL alpha and beta testers have pre-ordered.  While the game may be great, I do not believe in absolutes or that 100% of the testers are ordering or will even play.  People are too varied and I am sure some people that have tested have either stopped testing or even if they have kept testing may not buy the game.  That is no big deal at all, because, once again, their are all different sorts of people and games that appeal to them.  Otherwise, we would all just play one big, super, end-all-be-all game.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

There is a considerable difference between informing your potential player base and "releasing things just for you". They do, in fact, have everything to prove to us as we're the ones who are going to decide to buy into it or let their company fold around what is currently a mostly unknown and unproven product, and there is also considerable difference between hyping a game and explaining all the marketing buzz words you're throwing out. If anything, all they have been doing is hyping the game, as there is very little information, and tons of marketing gloop and reasons why GA is "XTREME!". The whole thing has a very Tablua Rasa type feel, which might I add "had most of its beta/alpha testers considering pre-ordering" as well. Yeah, I went there. 

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• GenoknightGenoknight Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by sonoggi

there are no plans to release a video on AvA just for you. they've nothing to prove. due to the NDA i can only tell you that: AvA works, it's fun, and it's still being tested and improved. to my knowledge, all of alpha/beta tester have pre-ordered or plan to pre-order the game. but this may not mean much to you. if you like what u see from the videos, and what you heard from developers, then you will probably like the game. no one is hyping the game up or making up stuff that won't be in the release.this isnt EVE or..WAR.

"Just for you" Are you joking me? You think he's the only person who thinks theirs something up because HiRez won't show us all these "Game-Changing" mechanics they hype about in their videos and website? Literally, the only thing they've shown us in the videos is a third person deathmatch.

What I think of them so far...

We  talk bullcrap about how theirs 60 vs 60 fights, BUT their all seperated into 6 instances because we couldn't figure out how to make them not lag, lol, and they effect each other, and its super awesome and you rule the world with super awesome equipment.... but we can't show you any of that, you just have to believe everything we talk about.

Originally posted by Itachi54 but we can't show you any of that, you just have to believe everything we talk about.

spot on brother. take a deep breath, relax, game is coming out in about a month. im sure tons of content will be public once NDA is lifted. right now, you either have faith in the game and pre-order to play in January; or you wait until NDA is lifted and then make your decision.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

there are no plans to release a video on AvA just for you. they've nothing to prove. 

Um, yeah they do... if they want to sell boxes anyway.  You understand how this whole producer/consumer thing works right?

they already sold all the boxes they need from the preorders. now it''s just about making the game ever better. ads will come in time, but theyre not the focus. obviously, you dont understand how good MMO's are made. you saw the hype made by WAR and AOC. where did that take em? they focused more on advertising the games than they did on improving them.dont expect fancy ad campaigns. all the info you need will come out once the NDA is lifted, most likely in a few weeks

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

they already sold all the boxes they need from the preorders. now it''s just about making the game ever better. ads will come in time, but theyre not the focus. obviously, you dont understand how good MMO's are made. you saw the hype made by WAR and AOC. where did that take em? they focused more on advertising the games than they did on improving them.dont expect fancy ad campaigns. all the info you need will come out once the NDA is lifted, most likely in a few weeks

Funny how Darkfall fanboy's arguments still lives. If i record well,the next step is to say: "The game have launched this (crappy) way and a lot of ppl love it! So play it or leave it"

I guess it'll take a couple of months for GA fans throw that around

• nathanebhtnathanebht Member Posts: 34

To get back to the original question, its a FPS with MMO elements. All of the combat is instanced, 12 vs 12 max.

I'd say that a MMO has to have a massive multiplayer aspect. Large numbers of people in the same landscape together doing key game tasks. This doesn't have that.

However, thats not to say that the PvP and PvE combat isn't a lot of fun. Its looking like a monthly subscription will substantially add to the fun. Also its true that GA will have several game features common to MMOs.

I've pre-ordered. Its an evolution of TF2. Quite a nice thing. I was hoping for an evolution of Planetside. Planetside is an MMOFPS. GA is an FPS with added MMO elements for monthly subscribers.

Oh my.  You have brown eyes huh? What a bunch of nonsense.  How is anything you said even relevant to the discussion?  The OP just wants details on the AvA part of the game... you know, the part that is basically the selling point of the MMO portion of the game.

the OP is a giant flamer, so im responding in a language he will understand. anyway, this thread is starting to bore me. if you are skeptical about playing the game based on the info thats out there, then dont.

the OP is a giant flamer, so im responding in a language he will understand. anyway, this thread is starting to bore me. if you are skeptical about playing the game based on the info thats out there, then dont.

Good thing your not working for the marketing department.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

From what I understand this is not an mmo,but just has "mmo elements" like some have already stated.

It has crafting,you can change the look of your char,and I think there's a auction house?

Only means of battle is queueing up for 12vs12 man instanced matches..

no open world to fight in..

so yeah,Im picturing tf2 with a huge ingame lobby for everyone on your side to run around in.

for my wallets sake,I'll be waiting for this game to be out and reviewed by multiple sources before I dish out the cash.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Thank you for your kind translation. I know I couldn't have figured out all the wonderful and unbiased information you offered without the fortuitous vantage point you have achieved. Maybe one day I too can manage to plant my head that far up Hi-Rez's ass, and see the world like you do. <3

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• GenoknightGenoknight Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Kordesh

Thank you for your kind translation. I know I couldn't have figured out all the wonderful and unbiased information you offered without the fortuitous vantage point you have achieved. Maybe one day I too can manage to plant my head that far up Hi-Rez's ass, and see the world like you do. <3

QFT, lol

• LordHysteriaLordHysteria Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by nathanebht

To get back to the original question, its a FPS with MMO elements. All of the combat is instanced, 12 vs 12 max.
    I'd say that a MMO has to have a massive multiplayer aspect. Large numbers of people in the same landscape together doing key game tasks. This doesn't have that.
    However, thats not to say that the PvP and PvE combat isn't a lot of fun. Its looking like a monthly subscription will substantially add to the fun. Also its true that GA will have several game features common to MMOs.
    I've pre-ordered. Its an evolution of TF2. Quite a nice thing. I was hoping for an evolution of Planetside. Planetside is an MMOFPS. GA is an FPS with added MMO elements for monthly subscribers.

No you are terribely wrong.

Is Global Agenda an MMOFPS, MMORPG, or a Grand Strategy Game?

Well… yes. Global Agenda is an Action MMO that incorporates elements from each of these game-types, but also some important differences.

Global Agenda has elements of an FPS because our in-mission game play is very action-oriented and as fluid as a multiplayer online shooter.

* Global Agenda is technically a third person shooter. Your character jetpacks to rooftops, grapples onto ledges, engages in melee combat, and darts behind cover to evade rocket fire and we've implemented a third-person camera to provide players the best view of their surroundings.

* We've taken inspiration from many modern shooters, but at the same time we intend combat to be more than just a twitchy shooter death-match. Due to our very distinct player classes and other game mechanics, our combat is not decided simply by who has the fastest reflexes. It is more about positioning, team cooperation, and using the appropriate device and counter at the appropriate time.

* Tactics are more important than twitch.

Global Agenda has elements of an RPG because your character does progress and unlock new skills and gear over time.

* We offer four very distinct but broad player classes and a large set of usable device types including ranged weapons, close-combat weapons, stealth & deception devices, remote controlled robotic pets, turrets, force fields, and many, many more.

* Your character earns credit with NPC factions by doing missions and acquires a more powerful and diverse collection of gear over time.

* However, we are definitely not an exploration-focused game, nor heavy on quest dialog, nor a game where grinding content will allow you to easily defeat those of a lower character level. To us 'playing a role' pertains to the role you carve out for yourself on your mission strike team and your player-created Agency. We do not expect the player to simply act out a role via scripted story missions.

* We provide the context but players drive the story.

Finally, Global Agenda has some elements of a turn-based strategy game based upon our episodic Campaigns.

* Our Campaigns give agencies the opportunity to actually gain territory, construct facilities, produce or steal resources, and compete in an approximately 45 day competition to construct a protected complex for your allies before your rivals do.

* Within Global Agenda some groups, the best groups, will make history by winning Campaigns.

In this way, your character actions and contributions affect the outcome of a single mission (like an FPS), your character career (like an RPG), and your agency's long-term Campaign goals (like a strategy game).